E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Would say 2018 E300 reliable car to be driven over 10 years

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2023 | 09:04 PM
Wig

W213, C238
Originally Posted by chassis
On your sample size of one, you are correct. Furthermore you bought the most reliable E-Class version, a M276-engined model. The four banger E300 and V8 E550/E63 have far more problems and far more expensive problems. Your experience is unsurprising, and it has turned out well for you so far.
Chassis - do you know the percentage of four-banger E300 that have had the piston problems? Are we talking 1% or 10%, or higher?
The following users liked this post:
chassis (06-21-2023)
Old 06-21-2023 | 09:06 PM
Out Of Control!!
MBWorld Ambassador

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Wig
Chassis - do you know the percentage of four-banger E300 that have had the piston problems? Are we talking 1% or 10%, or higher?
No data available to consumers. I am 100% certain the MB Warranty Department knows the answer to the third decimal point.

I would avoid MB four bangers entirely. The downside risk is too great in my view.

MB hasn't produced a four banger without major problems in decades, or ever.
Old 06-22-2023 | 07:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I must be the exception. I've had many 4 cyl models without issues over the years even though my preference is for the straight 6. Since my first MB in the early '60s, I recall only one instance where the engine was opened and that was for a valve job.
Old 06-22-2023 | 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E300
Originally Posted by ua549
I must be the exception. I've had many 4 cyl models without issues over the years even though my preference is for the straight 6. Since my first MB in the early '60s, I recall only one instance where the engine was opened and that was for a valve job.
You are not the exception, many Mercedes I4 owners have been driving with the I4 engine trouble free for years. The I4 engine actually won the Ward's 10 best engine of the year award a few years ago. I did some research before buying my E300, many of the failed pistons in the I4 engines are from the C class, 2017 and earlier. Some 2017 and 2018 E300 also have this problem but the numbers are very small, maybe a dozen owners on this E forum who posted this problem out of the over 100,000 E sold in the US during those 2 years, I am sure some of these problems are self inflicted such as installing a tune or a performance chip as the owners try to get more performance out of the I4..
The following 2 users liked this post by The G Man:
JTK44 (06-22-2023), ua549 (06-22-2023)
Old 06-22-2023 | 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by RandyMarsh25
For your 2016 E350, how often do you go for a service check-up per year and the cost for each check-up?
I will do 1 service check-up per year since my family work from home, rarely go on highways.
I change the engine oil/filter myself every year (since I never exceed the 10,000 mile limit). At that time, I do a once over check in the engine bay to look for oil leaks, inspect coolant level, top-off the windshield washer reservoir, etc. When changing or rotating tires, the tire dealer does it's usual courtesy inspection under the car. It just accumulated 40,000 miles.

That's it. Because I expect the car to be reliable for service intended. I just returned from a 1,500 round trip to St. Louis and back, and the car ran for 11 hours at a time each way on interstate highways without skipping a beat.

I do not have an extended warranty on this car (any of my cars, actually), and will not buy one. IMO, extended warranties are nothing more than legal ponzi schemes... Everyone with a policy pays in, very few are paid out in repair claims. It's simply a cash grab by the manufacturer, or aftermarket insurer (like CarShield).

Instead, I have a cash fund reserved for any major repair, which is money (profit) in my pocket I can use for other things if I never have a major repair. I typically keep a car at least 10 years, and have not stumbled over a major repair yet (among 20+ autos). The 2001 C320 in my household did not have any issues until it was 19 years old, which would have far exceeded the time/mileage limit by any extended warranty. With the money saved, I intend to help my grandkids with their college educations.

Last edited by DFWdude; 06-22-2023 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-22-2023 | 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Originally Posted by DFWdude
I change the engine oil/filter myself every year (since I never exceed the 10,000 mile limit). At that time, I do a once over check in the engine bay to look for oil leaks, inspect coolant level, top-off the windshield washer reservoir, etc. When changing or rotating tires, the tire dealer does it's usual courtesy inspection under the car. It just accumulated 40,000 miles.

That's it. Because I expect the car to be reliable for service intended. I just returned from a 1,500 round trip to St. Louis and back, and the car ran for 11 hours at a time each way on interstate highways without skipping a beat.

I do not have an extended warranty on this car (any of my cars, actually), and will not buy one. IMO, extended warranties are nothing more than legal ponzi schemes... Everyone with a policy pays in, very few are paid out in repair claims. It's simply a cash grab by the manufacturer, or aftermarket insurer (like CarShield).

Instead, I have a cash fund reserved for any major repair, which is money (profit) in my pocket I can use for other things if I never have a major repair. I typically keep a car at least 10 years, and have not stumbled over a major repair yet (among 20+ autos). The 2001 C320 in my household did not have any issues until it was 19 years old, which would have far exceeded the time/mileage limit by any extended warranty. With the money saved, I intend to help my grandkids with their college educations.
I agree with you with one caveat: Yours is a 2016: Mine is a 2019. The added gizmos and electronics that have been added since 2016 are mind boggling!

I expect the engine and drivetrain to be bullet proof: It is the added electronics that I worry about.

As I posted I had a screeching sound when I started and turned off the car. It was a flap, electronically controlled in the exhaust that went bad. Your 2016 does not have it. Wish mine did not as well. It is there for exhaust noise in S+. IMO, totally useless, but the noise was terrible and I thought it was something worse so I had to have it repaired.

My extended warranty, 3 years 75,000 miles, from Mercedes cost me $2,200. The above repair cost with tax over $2,300! One repair and the extended warranty has paid for itself.

Unfortunately I expect further problems with the electronics. That is why I bought the extended warranty.

Just my $.02.
Old 06-22-2023 | 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by JTK44
I agree with you with one caveat: Yours is a 2016: Mine is a 2019. The added gizmos and electronics that have been added since 2016 are mind boggling!

I expect the engine and drivetrain to be bullet proof: It is the added electronics that I worry about.

As I posted I had a screeching sound when I started and turned off the car. It was a flap, electronically controlled in the exhaust that went bad. Your 2016 does not have it. Wish mine did not as well. It is there for exhaust noise in S+. IMO, totally useless, but the noise was terrible and I thought it was something worse so I had to have it repaired.

My extended warranty, 3 years 75,000 miles, from Mercedes cost me $2,200. The above repair cost with tax over $2,300! One repair and the extended warranty has paid for itself.

Unfortunately I expect further problems with the electronics. That is why I bought the extended warranty.

Just my $.02.
My 2016 W212 is not a Model T Ford. I can assure you that it is more like your W213 than not. MB does not start with a clean sheet to design a new exhaust system with each model (styling) update.

Cars today are much more reliable than they were when I started driving. Before fuel injection, I constantly piddled with the breaker point ignition in several cars (expected every 3000 miles or less). Oil change time also meant time to adjust/replace the carb parts, replace engine air filters, lube ball joints, etc.

I agree that the engines and drivetrains in today's cars are all but bullet-proof. BUT, that is not how extended warranties are sold... The pitch instead is a promise to fix (exactly) those high dollar engines, transmissions, radiator systems, etc. that they warn cause the most problems. Pay $2,200 on the chance that the insurance will cover a $7,000 engine replacement, that almost never happens. Insurance of any kind has always pandered to a consumer's fears. That's why many of the tallest buildings in America are owned and branded by insurance companies.

I have no problem with those who choose to purchase an extended warranty on their cars. If it works for you, then fine. I only know that over the last 40+ years, I've put two of my kids through college with the money I've saved, and spent very little on cars in the same period (other than periodic mtce).

Last edited by DFWdude; 06-22-2023 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-22-2023 | 02:10 PM
Wig

W213, C238
Originally Posted by chassis
No data available to consumers. I am 100% certain the MB Warranty Department knows the answer to the third decimal point.

I would avoid MB four bangers entirely. The downside risk is too great in my view.

MB hasn't produced a four banger without major problems in decades, or ever.
Originally Posted by ua549
I have had various M274 4-bangers, and all of them required the "vent kit" repair, including one engine that needed the repair twice. All repairs were under warranty, fortunately. Disappointing that this well-known issue was not fixed across at least 4 different model years. I have not had the piston problem..... yet.
Old 06-22-2023 | 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Originally Posted by DFWdude
My 2016 W212 is not a Model T Ford. I can assure you that it is more like your W213 than not. MB does not start with a clean sheet to design a new exhaust system with each model (styling) update.

Cars today are much more reliable than they were when I started driving. Before fuel injection, I constantly piddled with the breaker point ignition in several cars (expected every 3000 miles or less). Oil change time also meant time to adjust/replace the carb parts, replace engine air filters, lube ball joints, etc.

I agree that the engines and drivetrains in today's cars are all but bullet-proof. BUT, that is not how extended warranties are sold... The pitch instead is a promise to fix (exactly) those high dollar engines, transmissions, radiator systems, etc. that they warn cause the most problems. Pay $2,200 on the chance that the insurance will cover a $7,000 engine replacement, that almost never happens. Insurance of any kind has always pandered to a consumer's fears. That's why many of the tallest buildings in America are owned and branded by insurance companies.

I have no problem with those who choose to purchase an extended warranty on their cars. If it works for you, then fine. I only know that over the last 40+ years, I've put two of my kids through college with the money I've saved, and spent very little on cars in the same period (other than periodic mtce).
Insurance is useless and expensive until you need it.

I doubt there is any repair of a late model Mercedes, when labor is included, that will not cost minimum of $1,000.

The car before my 2019 E450 was a 2016 E350 (6 cylinder not the 4): The 2016 did not have adaptive cruise control, lane mitigation, auto high beams, 360 degree cameras, digital dashboard, automatic trunk to name just a few that I can think of just off the top of my head. I am sure there are many, many more. These are the parts that will go bad and cost a fortune to replace.

I do not know who buys an extended warranty thinking either the engine or transmission will need to be replaced: I certainly did not!

But the components like the AC compressor, starter motor especially with auto start stop, electric fuel pump, window lifts, heated seats, etc. are prone to failure.

That is why I bought the extended warranty: and secondly peace of mind: I just didn't want to hear from Mercedes that my front struts need to be replaced and that will cost, $XXXX, you fill in the blanks.

Caveat: I consider myself under and not over insured: I have never taken on extended warranties on anything I have bought including cars - as I lease. This is my first extended warranty. On all my policies, both auto, home and personal property, I have the max deductible

(I also remember changing points that became pitted, (my Mustang GT had dual point distributor) greasing ball joints with oil changes, adjusting timing and carburetor, rebuilding the generator and starter motor and replacing the water and fuel pump)

Last edited by JTK44; 06-22-2023 at 05:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MBNUT1 (06-23-2023)