Hermes module for 2019 E300

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2022, 07:29 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Infiniti M35x
Hermes module for 2019 E300

Hi all,

It seems to me that when I bought my 2019 E300 that I couldn't test the wireless internet because I didn't have the Hermes module. Am I recalling that correctly and if it wasn't included is that something that Mercedes would install now while I am still under warranty?

Thanks
Old 10-21-2022, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 575 Likes on 434 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Originally Posted by Courthaven
Hi all,

It seems to me that when I bought my 2019 E300 that I couldn't test the wireless internet because I didn't have the Hermes module. Am I recalling that correctly and if it wasn't included is that something that Mercedes would install now while I am still under warranty?

Thanks
FWIW:

I have a 2019 E450: To connect Apple Play I must be wired. I can charge wirelessly. The phone connects through blue tooth.

Does this help or are you asking about something else?
Old 10-21-2022, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,817 Likes on 2,551 Posts
2019 C63CS
US spec models have the HERMES module standard. There was a period during the pandemic when some cars arrived w/o the HERMES module due to the chip shortage. However, the modules have now become available and are being retrofitted as part of a recall in the affected models. 2019 models wouldn't fall under this as the module was readily available at the time. You had 3 years of complementary Mercedes me connect services with your car, which have probably expired by now. Mine expired last month for my 2019 C63 and I renewed (https://shop.mbusa.com/en-us/connect/). The wireless Internet, though, requires activation of the Wi-Fi hotspot, which was an extra charge from the beginning. You got 1GB for free when activating it. All this is managed through the Mercedes me connect portal (https://www.me.mercedes-benz.com/) and the Mercedes me connect app.

You should have all the hardware needed in your car, but the services needed to be activated when you took delivery. If you bought it used, then the services would have had to be transferred into your name.
The following users liked this post:
TennesseeZ4 (11-09-2022)
Old 10-21-2022, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 575 Likes on 434 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Originally Posted by superswiss
US spec models have the HERMES module standard. There was a period during the pandemic when some cars arrived w/o the HERMES module due to the chip shortage. However, the modules have now become available and are being retrofitted as part of a recall in the affected models. 2019 models wouldn't fall under this as the module was readily available at the time. You had 3 years of complementary Mercedes me connect services with your car, which have probably expired by now. Mine expired last month for my 2019 C63 and I renewed (https://shop.mbusa.com/en-us/connect/). The wireless Internet, though, requires activation of the Wi-Fi hotspot, which was an extra charge from the beginning. You got 1GB for free when activating it. All this is managed through the Mercedes me connect portal (https://www.me.mercedes-benz.com/) and the Mercedes me connect app.

You should have all the hardware needed in your car, but the services needed to be activated when you took delivery. If you bought it used, then the services would have had to be transferred into your name.
Thanks for your clarification.

Like you I too had complimentary Mercedes Me Connect. Honestly, being able to look at the tire pressure, battery status, etc. was nice, but the only feature I regularly used was the remote start, but only in the winter in Vermont when I go skiing.

I did not renew - maybe because I find it hard to pay for something that was previously free. BTW, in my 2018 Ford Edge, the remote start is forever. Amazing that on a Ford that cost a fraction of a Mercedes, "luxury" features are free but on a Mercedes there is a yearly charge.

Old 10-22-2022, 10:51 AM

Infiniti M35x
Yeah so I renewed all of my other services for around $185 I think in August. I like using Mercedes connect for my vehicle status, but honestly I don't get much use out of anything else.

What I didn't use though was the brief trial we got for wireless internet in the car. When I tried to set it up I wasn't successful. That's the part that I thought Mercedes told me I needed a hermes module for so I just ignored it and didn't worry about it.

When it comes to navigation I probably won't renew again since I have never really understood how it is indicating traffic. When I am using Google maps I can clearly see the high traffic areas with red and yellow. Whenever I am driving with my Mercedes Navigation it looks like I juts get a continuous blue line wherever I bam driving. I may be too stupid for it though, lol.
Old 10-22-2022, 10:52 AM

Infiniti M35x
Yeah so I renewed all of my other services for around $185 I think in August. I like using Mercedes connect for my vehicle status, but honestly I don't get much use out of anything else.

What I didn't use though was the brief trial we got for wireless internet in the car. When I tried to set it up I wasn't successful. That's the part that I thought Mercedes told me I needed a hermes module for so I just ignored it and didn't worry about it.

When it comes to navigation I probably won't renew again since I have never really understood how it is indicating traffic. When I am using Google maps I can clearly see the high traffic areas with red and yellow. Whenever I am driving with my Mercedes Navigation it looks like I juts get a continuous blue line wherever I bam driving. I may be too stupid for it though, lol.
Old 10-22-2022, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS

MB attempted to change carriers for the Wi-Fi hotspot from AT&T to T-Mobile, but that completely failed, so they gave up. An OTA update was supposed to be pushed out to make the switch and somehow that update didn't take, but they messed up the configuration for many. If you try to activate the Wi-Fi hotspot now it may still take you to T-Mobile to sign up for their plan, but that won't work. You have to call Mercedes me connect support to fix it. I don't use the Wi-Fi hotspot in the car. Find it pointless since my phone already has data service. I'm not gonna pay for another data plan to use while I'm in the car.

As for your traffic issue, that sounds like your settings are incorrect. No point in paying for live traffic if you have the setting turned off that shows the traffic on the map. There's also a setting in the navigation options that controls whether to use live traffic for dynamic routing. Make sure all those options are on. If you have everything correct, then the traffic shows on the map just like with Google Maps, and you even get traffic announcements over the speakers. If everything is turned on as it should then the words Live Traffic should be lit in the lower left corner as well. If it's greyed out then dynamic routing is disabled in your settings if I remember correctly. Here's a picture of mine for reference.

Last edited by superswiss; 10-22-2022 at 12:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Courthaven (10-22-2022)
Old 10-22-2022, 05:30 PM

Infiniti M35x
MB attempted to change carriers for the Wi-Fi hotspot from AT&T to T-Mobile, but that completely failed, so they gave up. An OTA update was supposed to be pushed out to make the switch and somehow that update didn't take, but they messed up the configuration for many. If you try to activate the Wi-Fi hotspot now it may still take you to T-Mobile to sign up for their plan, but that won't work. You have to call Mercedes me connect support to fix it. I don't use the Wi-Fi hotspot in the car. Find it pointless since my phone already has data service. I'm not gonna pay for another data plan to use while I'm in the car.

As for your traffic issue, that sounds like your settings are incorrect. No point in paying for live traffic if you have the setting turned off that shows the traffic on the map. There's also a setting in the navigation options that controls whether to use live traffic for dynamic routing. Make sure all those options are on. If you have everything correct, then the traffic shows on the map just like with Google Maps, and you even get traffic announcements over the speakers. If everything is turned on as it should then the words Live Traffic should be lit in the lower left corner as well. If it's greyed out then dynamic routing is disabled in your settings if I remember correctly. Here's a picture of mine for reference.

Thanks a lot for your help. I will double check my settings then. I definitely have the Live traffic lit up, but maybe I need to adjust how I am looking at it. There are times when I recall seeing the red and yellow, just not on my route that I am driving oddly enough.
Old 10-22-2022, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Thanks a lot for your help. I will double check my settings then. I definitely have the Live traffic lit up, but maybe I need to adjust how I am looking at it. There are times when I recall seeing the red and yellow, just not on my route that I am driving oddly enough.
As far as I know, traffic flow if green is not indicated on surface streets to reduce map clutter. It's always shown on highways and interstates as in my example. Only red and orange generally shows on surface streets. Also, surface street traffic may not be available in your area. Most of the traffic data that you see in the MB navigation comes from road sensors on the highways, some comes from other Mercedes, BWMs and Audis submitting traffic data to the cloud via Car-to-X, but surface streets rarely have sensors for measuring traffic flow. Google Maps largely relies on crowdsourcing. Using all the many phones moving about it extrapolates traffic flow and has more data for surface streets. On the other hand this is also its biggest flaw. Google Maps often shows traffic congestion in my neighborhood where there is none, because it mistakes people walking their dogs as slow moving cars. There was a guy in the UK if I remember correctly who filled a cart with smartphones and pulled it down a street. Within a short time, Google Maps interpreted that as a major traffic congestion. He was an artist I believe and wanted to highlight how much modern society relies on this crowdsourced data and how easy it is to spoof.
Old 11-06-2022, 06:47 PM

Infiniti M35x

So here is where I get confused. For the 2 lines going my direction the one on the left is blue and then turns orange as I am moving along the route and the one on the far right is yellow. I get confused what that is telling me and why there are 2 separate colors. At the time, there was a slowdown there, but the other side of the highway was completely clear and that's showing orange too. Can you help me interpret that? (I don't have this problem with Google Maps, lol).
As far as I know, traffic flow if green is not indicated on surface streets to reduce map clutter. It's always shown on highways and interstates as in my example. Only red and orange generally shows on surface streets. Also, surface street traffic may not be available in your area. Most of the traffic data that you see in the MB navigation comes from road sensors on the highways, some comes from other Mercedes, BWMs and Audis submitting traffic data to the cloud via Car-to-X, but surface streets rarely have sensors for measuring traffic flow. Google Maps largely relies on crowdsourcing. Using all the many phones moving about it extrapolates traffic flow and has more data for surface streets. On the other hand this is also its biggest flaw. Google Maps often shows traffic congestion in my neighborhood where there is none, because it mistakes people walking their dogs as slow moving cars. There was a guy in the UK if I remember correctly who filled a cart with smartphones and pulled it down a street. Within a short time, Google Maps interpreted that as a major traffic congestion. He was an artist I believe and wanted to highlight how much modern society relies on this crowdsourced data and how easy it is to spoof.
Old 11-06-2022, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS

So here is where I get confused. For the 2 lines going my direction the one on the left is blue and then turns orange as I am moving along the route and the one on the far right is yellow. I get confused what that is telling me and why there are 2 separate colors. At the time, there was a slowdown there, but the other side of the highway was completely clear and that's showing orange too. Can you help me interpret that? (I don't have this problem with Google Maps, lol).
The color blue indicates your route. The color orange indicates it's a highway or interstate. Those types of roads are always orange. Surface streets are white or slightly gray. Yellow is the actual traffic flow and would indicate a minor slow down on that road. Green is free flow and red is stop&go.

Here's a bit of a zoomed out view I captured a while back that shows it. Notice all Interstates are orange. Green, yellow and red on the outside of the road indicates traffic flow. There isn't an active route guidance, so no blue, but if there was, the blue would indicate the current route.

Last edited by superswiss; 11-06-2022 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-06-2022, 07:15 PM

Infiniti M35x
The color blue indicates your route. The color orange indicates it's a highway or interstate. Those types of roads are always orange. Surface streets are white or slightly gray. Yellow is the actual traffic flow and would indicate a minor slow down on that road. Green is free flow and red is stop&go.

Here's a bit of a zoomed out view I captured a while back that shows it. Notice all Interstates are orange. Green, yellow and red on the outside of the road indicates traffic flow. There isn't an active route guidance, so no blue, but if there was, the blue would indicate the current route.

GREAT!!! That helps so much. I have always been frustrated by not understanding that and seeing where the actual traffic flow was versus the orange. Thanks so much!
Old 11-09-2022, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 223 Likes on 195 Posts
2021 c300 Cab. Arrived 7/28/21 Arriving soon. 24 GLE 450e.
Originally Posted by JTK44
Thanks for your clarification.

I did not renew - maybe because I find it hard to pay for something that was previously free. BTW, in my 2018 Ford Edge, the remote start is forever. Amazing that on a Ford that cost a fraction of a Mercedes, "luxury" features are free but on a Mercedes there is a yearly charge.
On my 2017 Acura, remote start is built into the key fob. Now it’s a subscription after a certain period. MB changed the free map updates and services from 3 years to 1. Sign of the times.