Keyless Go Start Ignition Button

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2023, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,817 Likes on 2,551 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by np6345
This is exactly the case. I've driven plenty of W205 loaner vehicles and there are 3 configurations regarding these specific features:
  • Car doesn't have KG or KS. (have to unlock and start car with FOB)
  • Car has KG but no KS. (can unlock with FOB in pocket but FOB is needed to start car)
  • Car has KG and KS. (can unlock and start car without removing FOB from pocket)
If the car has KS then it must have KG.
Yep, that was my understanding from what I've seen. Thanks for confirming.
Old 05-06-2023, 03:23 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Gcl 220d 2018
This is exactly the case. I've driven plenty of W205 loaner vehicles and there are 3 configurations regarding these specific features:
  • Car has KG but no KS. (can unlock with FOB in pocket but FOB is needed to start car)
  • Car has KG and KS. (can unlock and start car without removing FOB from pocket)
All w213 have a keyless start, but only the cars with keyless go can unlock the car without remove the key from pocket

The following users liked this post:
Diesel Benz (05-06-2023)
Old 05-06-2023, 03:30 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Gcl 220d 2018

This is my father w212, 889 keyless go
Can open - close and start the car without take out the key from pocket
Old 05-06-2023, 05:07 PM

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts
'19 E300 w/ activated Multibeam
Originally Posted by yiannossavva
All w213 have a keyless start, but only the cars with keyless go can unlock the car without remove the key from pocket
All W213 models have keyless go and keyless start as standard feature, at least thats how it was for U.S. models. The car you seem to be looking at is a GLC which is not a W213 but rather an X253. The X253 options mirror the W205 quite closely.
Old 05-07-2023, 01:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
All W213 models have keyless go and keyless start as standard feature, at least thats how it was for U.S. models. The car you seem to be looking at is a GLC which is not a W213 but rather an X253. The X253 options mirror the W205 quite closely.
I thought we were not restricted to the US market but in any case we are talking about a car with reduced features (KG but no keyless start) and if there is one in the US, there must be one elsewhere too.

I though superswiss said earlier that a fourth option exists: a car with keyless start but no KG. Can you get in agreement about the list.

As I said earlier in the thread, my wife had a pre-facelift W213 with keyless start but no KG. Another car from Germany to prove a keyless start car exists without KG: WDD2132041A506409.

Also if we were talking about US cars, see the website superswiss referred, it states:
Mercedes-Benz KEYLESS GO®: Essentially an upgraded version of KEYLESS-START®, Mercedes-Benz KEYLESS GO® allows you to start your ride by pressing the brake pedal and dash-mounted button as well as lock and unlock your Mercedes-Benz vehicle with a tap on any door handle by sensing the SmartKey in your pocket or purse. This feature is standard on more tech-savvy models, like the Mercedes-Benz GLE Coupe and S-Class Coupe, and optional on any new Mercedes-Benz vehicle.

Meaning at least current models (in the US) have keyless start if they have KG. The web page also says current models have keyless start as a standard feature. At least it has not been any current Mercedes model loaner that you've had with KG but no keyless start.

Talking about older models, I wonder if this is all about an operator error. The first generation keyless start cars had a traditional looking ignition slot but accepted a small plastic cap replacing the key. If the small plastic cap was removed from a loaner, the car would have working keyless entry but no keyless start.
The following users liked this post:
yiannossavva (05-07-2023)
Old 05-07-2023, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,165 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
I thought we were not restricted to the US market but in any case we are talking about a car with reduced features (KG but no keyless start) and if there is one in the US, there must be one elsewhere too.

I though superswiss said earlier that a fourth option exists: a car with keyless start but no KG. Can you get in agreement about the list.

As I said earlier in the thread, my wife had a pre-facelift W213 with keyless start but no KG. Another car from Germany to prove a keyless start car exists without KG: WDD2132041A506409.

Also if we were talking about US cars, see the website superswiss referred, it states:
Mercedes-Benz KEYLESS GO®: Essentially an upgraded version of KEYLESS-START®, Mercedes-Benz KEYLESS GO® allows you to start your ride by pressing the brake pedal and dash-mounted button as well as lock and unlock your Mercedes-Benz vehicle with a tap on any door handle by sensing the SmartKey in your pocket or purse. This feature is standard on more tech-savvy models, like the Mercedes-Benz GLE Coupe and S-Class Coupe, and optional on any new Mercedes-Benz vehicle.

Meaning at least current models (in the US) have keyless start if they have KG. The web page also says current models have keyless start as a standard feature. At least it has not been any current Mercedes model loaner that you've had with KG but no keyless start.

Talking about older models, I wonder if this is all about an operator error. The first generation keyless start cars had a traditional looking ignition slot but accepted a small plastic cap replacing the key. If the small plastic cap was removed from a loaner, the car would have working keyless entry but no keyless start.
Keyless start is a cheaper version of keyless go, basically you start the car without being able to open/lock the car with the keyfob in your pocket. You can remove the button from the car in case the batteries in the keyfob are dead. RFID doesn't need power to work which is why you can just put the key in the ignition and start the car regardless of whether you have keyless go/keyless start. On many used cars, either dealers or other test drivers steal the button so they think it doesn't have keyless go/keyless start so you even though you have the buttons on the car doors, they might think that without the button on the dash that feature isn't there, but all they have to do is buy the button on eBay or wherever, it really has nothing in it. Lots of older model cars just say keyless go because there wasn't a keyless start feature, keyless go always meant you could open/lock the doors without the key fob and start the car without the keyfob. It also let you open the trunk and unlocked the gas cap. The older W211 had the door handles go bad all the time as the switches got water in them and corroded away. They were over $500 at the dealer to replace the bad door handle, the handle itself was $200-$300, the regular door handle was under $100. Keyless start is just another way to cheap out on the expensive door handles and there's also antennas to check for the keyfob, haven't seen a diagram of keyless start, but it probably just has the one in the dash as it doesn't need one in the back to check for the fob for the doors.
Old 05-07-2023, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,817 Likes on 2,551 Posts
2019 C63CS
I think part of the problem is that there is confusion between model years and models. Some things have changed in regards to MB's KEYLESS implementation. For example there is now no longer a button that covers up a "keyhole". That was the old design and indeed that button tends to get lost or stolen. The latest models as of around 2019 have an actual engine start button and there's no longer a place to stick the key in. So those models have KEYLESS START standard. The W213 falls into this category, so does the FL W205. The W213 had the new design from the beginning as far as I know, whereas other models got it with the facelift. If the fob battery is dead, then there's a place in the cup holders to place the key in order to be able to start the engine.

New style engine start button.

New style with ECO start/stop button combined.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-07-2023 at 08:03 PM.