E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Apple CarPlay USB Aux Port

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2023, 02:11 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
W221/W222/W213/X290
Apple CarPlay USB Aux Port

Does anyone know the part number or know if the USB C version would swap out or work in an E Class that has a USB A type of apple car play port?

For example this picture below shows the USB A type for charging/apple car play. i know the 2020-2022 E Class and C Class have the USB C ports instead of these ones. Anyone know the part number or if it'll work?

Old 09-27-2023, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,119 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
To my knowledge, the difference between USB-A and USB-C is on the device end of the cord, not the supply end. Both use the same plug-in socket design at the console, the part from MB you depict in your post.

I have used Smart phones with either USB-A or USB-C connections... from this same cord design connected at the console. No issues at all.
Old 05-27-2024, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 E 300 4MATIC
USB C part

Originally Posted by DFWdude
To my knowledge, the difference between USB-A and USB-C is on the device end of the cord, not the supply end. Both use the same plug-in socket design at the console, the part from MB you depict in your post.

I have used Smart phones with either USB-A or USB-C connections... from this same cord design connected at the console. No issues at all.
Would you mind pointing me towards a USB C replacement port for the part depicted? Thanks in advance
Old 05-28-2024, 09:53 PM

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts
Porsche Cayman S, Mercedes W213, Nissan Titan, BMW X5, Chevrolet Suburban
How about something like this?
USB A to C Port USB A to C Port
Old 05-28-2024, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 E 300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by CarFan1
How about something like this? USB A to C Port
I am okay with this, but I would prefer to get the USB C part to work instead. I saw in another threat that replacing with a USB C port will power the connected device but not turn on CarPlay. I wonder if there is a way around this as I imagine the parts are the same besides the port.
Old 05-30-2024, 04:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2024 GLS580 / 2017 E300 / 2014 ML350
The pinouts of USB A and USB C are different. I have not looked at the vehicle wiring diagram, but I would assume in earlier models with only USB A, MB decided to wire only the pins necessary for the USB A module. I would not expect them to run the extra cables and additional modules to receive and drive USB C communication for something they would not expect an owner to modify.

What has been described in other posts about the power only working makes senses and supports the assumption that the vehicle connector has the available pins to support USB C (so they would look the same) but they are not actually wired to anything on the additional data lines provide by USB C or if they are, they are wired to a USB A module that cannot translate the data sent on those lines.

A USB A to USB C port converter would be your best bet.