E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

tire change gear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2023, 11:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
400E 4matic wagon
tire change gear

Greetings. Bride's new car is a 2017 E400 4matic wagon. Beautiful shape and a fine ride. Way different feel from the V8 500E wagon it replaced. Just starting to check out sport mode. Wanted to look closely at the tires before winter and thought I'd rotate them and inspect the tread for "D-W-S" markings. Project didn't go well as no spare/jack/etc. Owner's manual noted car may be equipped with a tire change kit, which my car doesn't have. It also noted if Run-Flat-Tires are changed to standard tires a Tire Kit, with compressor and tire-fix should be added. Is this the spot I'm in? Current tires are continentals with no run flat markings.

What are the recommendations from the crew? No real space for a spare, even a compact one. Thanks ahead
Old 12-21-2023, 11:40 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,955 Likes on 3,110 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Fleetwood
Greetings. Bride's new car is a 2017 E400 4matic wagon. Beautiful shape and a fine ride. Way different feel from the V8 500E wagon it replaced. Just starting to check out sport mode. Wanted to look closely at the tires before winter and thought I'd rotate them and inspect the tread for "D-W-S" markings. Project didn't go well as no spare/jack/etc. Owner's manual noted car may be equipped with a tire change kit, which my car doesn't have. It also noted if Run-Flat-Tires are changed to standard tires a Tire Kit, with compressor and tire-fix should be added. Is this the spot I'm in? Current tires are continentals with no run flat markings.

What are the recommendations from the crew? No real space for a spare, even a compact one. Thanks ahead
Missing information.

Please post well focused and well lit photos of your tire sidewalls showing the brand model and size.

If you have no room for a jack and spare you should have runflats. If you don’t have runflats then someone changed them to non RFT and you need to either go back to RFT or throw a jack and spare in the luggage compartment. Or tire goo.
Old 12-21-2023, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 787 Likes on 534 Posts
2018 AMG E43
I don't have anything to add about a spare, but I can definitely make a recommendation about wheel changing in general. Since our cars use lug bolts instead of studs, when you are loosening the lug bolts, the wheel wants to naturally just fall off the hub because there are no studs to hold it.

Having a pair of hanger pins makes it so much easier. You remove two of your lug bolts and replace them with the pins (by hand) and continue to remove the remaining lug bolts. The pins will hold the wheel on the hub and will guide it off and on.

I use these:

The following users liked this post:
chassis (12-22-2023)
Old 12-21-2023, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 787 Likes on 534 Posts
2018 AMG E43
If my description doesn't make sense, here's a pic of me using them (look at the RR hub):

chassis (12-22-2023)
Old 12-22-2023, 06:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 269 Likes on 211 Posts
2019 E300
Originally Posted by Fleetwood

Guessing your car was not certified as the last owner replace the runflat with conventional tires. Some cars on the market comes with conventional tires and no spare, usually owners will neither buy a spare and put it in the trunk or buy emergency supplies such as a can of fix a flat, a air compressor or tire plug kit.
chassis (12-22-2023)