E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

2018 E300 4Matic - B7 service, 65k miles, etc.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2024, 12:11 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
2018 E300 4Matic Sport
2018 E300 4Matic - B7 service, 65k miles, etc.

Got an email from my Service Advisor at the local dealership. Both dealerships near me pulled a bait and switch on prices for service in the past, so know I ask in advance for a price. Anyway, in addition to the B7 service, I wanted to replace the spark plugs. I also asked what else is recommended at 60k or 65k miles. Here's the email run-down of what they recommend and the cost:
Hi...so the B 7 service, also known as the 6yr/60k service, is a very comprehensive service and includes the following,
Auto Trans oil and filter change,
Engine oil and filter change,
Brake fluid flush,
Replacement of the Ventilation system dust filter and Activated Charcoal/Combination filter,
Fluid corrections in the engine compartment,
Battery checks,
Software updates and a full check over of the vehicle (brakes, tires and major components under the vehicle)
Reset the service indicator,
Total price is $2077 including parts and labor.
Please note the following,
Washer fluid is checked and corrected as part of the scheduled maintenance, however the wiper blades are not replaced unless recommended and approved.
As far as the spark plugs, to replace them, that will be $900 including parts and labor.
The issue with the sunroof drain/hoses, water leak/drains, etc. -- that would be an hour to diagnose and then 2 hours to remove the fender liners and clear any blockage/obstruction. The cost for this will be $687.
Lastly, we will replace Engine Air Filter. This will cost $150.
So, the grand total $3814 for everything.
Also, there are no open recalls/campaigns on your vehicle at this time.

Well, I am sure they'll find something to get me to $4000. LOL. While I am far from an expert, it simply seems excessive to me. I am going to call an indy ship or two, but they hate giving price quotes over the phone. Sure, if I was them, I would hate to also, LOL.
So, what do you think? Unreasonable? Thanks.
Old 02-23-2024, 07:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 268 Likes on 210 Posts
2019 E300
I just did a B1 service which is your B7 service minus the tranny fluid and it cost me $750. You being in NJ will inflate the price. Most of the indy I talked to in my area is about 75% of the dealer's cost, not worth the risk unless you know of a trusted indy. They will get you on the sunroof, that price sounds too cheap.
Old 02-24-2024, 06:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic
B7?

I was aware of A and B maintenance but have never seen a number with them. Is there a list of when and what are performed? Like B7?
Old 02-24-2024, 12:35 PM

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts
2019 E300 4matic
Sounds pricey to me

In January I had the B4 service done (35,000 miles) and replaced the spark plugs and it was $895. They said that the next time even though it’s an A service I need to have the transmission and brake service.

My dealer is expensive but yours sounds out of this world!
Old 02-24-2024, 12:43 PM

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts
2019 E300 4matic
Originally Posted by rmdudley
I was aware of A and B maintenance but have never seen a number with them. Is there a list of when and what are performed? Like B7?

The following 3 users liked this post by DeutscheBenz726:
BoMB (02-26-2024), fleuger99 (02-26-2024), Mike0Ryan (06-19-2024)
Old 02-25-2024, 06:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic
Thank you

Thanks for this info. Very helpful
Old 02-25-2024, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 575 Likes on 434 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Originally Posted by BoMB
Got an email from my Service Advisor at the local dealership. Both dealerships near me pulled a bait and switch on prices for service in the past, so know I ask in advance for a price. Anyway, in addition to the B7 service, I wanted to replace the spark plugs. I also asked what else is recommended at 60k or 65k miles. Here's the email run-down of what they recommend and the cost:
Hi...so the B 7 service, also known as the 6yr/60k service, is a very comprehensive service and includes the following,
Brake fluid flush,
Replacement of the Ventilation system dust filter and Activated Charcoal/Combination filter,
Battery checks,
Software updates and a full check over of the vehicle (brakes, tires and major components under the vehicle)
Washer fluid is checked and corrected as part of the scheduled maintenance, however the wiper blades are not replaced unless recommended and approved.
As far as the spark plugs, to replace them, that will be $900 including parts and labor.
The issue with the sunroof drain/hoses, water leak/drains, etc. -- that would be an hour to diagnose and then 2 hours to remove the fender liners and clear any blockage/obstruction. The cost for this will be $687.

Well, I am sure they'll find something to get me to $4000. LOL. While I am far from an expert, it simply seems excessive to me. I am going to call an indy ship or two, but they hate giving price quotes over the phone. Sure, if I was them, I would hate to also, LOL.
This sounds like a rip off to me:

Engine and oil and filter change: My dealer runs specials $225. My Indy shop charges $150
Brake fluid flush: So many post on this on whether this necessary or not every 2 years/20,000 miles.
Cabin filter change. I bought the filter for $23. Takes about 10 minutes to replace
Battery check: My Indy shop does this. Takes less than 2 minutes. No charge

So what is unknown is the cost of the transmission change and filter.

Spark plugs: you have only 4 and $900 to replace them including labor seems out of this world!

Engine air filter: I bought for $18 and took about 5 minutes to replace. I have no idea how the dealer arrives at $150.

Good luck
The following 3 users liked this post by JTK44:
BoMB (02-26-2024), juanmor40 (02-26-2024), WRC-LVR (02-25-2024)
Old 02-25-2024, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 420 Likes on 346 Posts
MB’s
Holy cow! That was crazy high! Find a good local shop that can do that work for a fraction of the price. I do not know how dealers even come close to these numbers. $900 for spark plugs on a 4 Cylinder is crazy! If you can do some of it yourself then by all means please do. If not then find a reputable local shop.
The following users liked this post:
juanmor40 (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 08:53 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2019 E300
Cabin air and engine air filter are fairly easy to replace and cost minimal. There are plenty of clear videos that show how to do that.
I also tend to change the oil and engine oil filter myself.
Also, changing battery is very simple and can be done very quickly.
I have not gotten into changing spark plugs and the drain hoses. I would agree with recommendation to use indy shop locally.
Old 02-26-2024, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 268 Likes on 210 Posts
2019 E300
Indy shops know exactly how much the dealers charge and they price their service based on that. I just did a B1 service on my E300 and with coupon, it cost $750 at the dealer. I priced out a local indy shop specialized in Mercedes before hand and they wanted $600 for a B1 service and no loaner car, no free latte and no free car wash. That little bit of saving is not worth my time and effort.
The following 2 users liked this post by The G Man:
BoMB (02-26-2024), juanmor40 (02-26-2024)
Old Yesterday, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just looking
Originally Posted by BoMB
Got an email from my Service Advisor at the local dealership. Both dealerships near me pulled a bait and switch on prices for service in the past, so know I ask in advance for a price. Anyway, in addition to the B7 service, I wanted to replace the spark plugs here. I also asked what else is recommended at 60k or 65k miles. Here's the email run-down of what they recommend and the cost:
Brake fluid flush,
Battery checks,

Sounds familiar, the first A service I had for my 2020 E450 was at 1,100 miles and the service advisor was insisting on getting my direct injectors cleaned! Switched over to another advisor for the service B the following year with only 3,400 miles on the car and still got the same (dis)service from them at my local MB dealer. I would just look around and find a reliable independent technician for the service needed, unless you are inclined and willing to do some of the work yourself, regardless, you would end up saving a good chunk of your hard-earned money.