E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Using MyQ Garage Door via Hey Mercedes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 02:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2024 E450 Cabriolet
Using MyQ Garage Door via Hey Mercedes

Wasn't exactly sure how to title this. I linked my MyQ garage door via the Mercedes app. Said it linked successfully. When I say, "hey, mercedes, open my MyQ garage door," it responds with some gibberish about only being able to store radio stations.

Has anyone successfully linked their MyQ garage door app and been able to use hey mercedes to control it?

Old 04-23-2024, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,745 Likes on 1,117 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
Why would you want to? The standard "HomeLink" garage door opener button is available on the bottom of the rear view mirror... no cellphone complication necessary
The following 4 users liked this post by DFWdude:
np6345 (04-23-2024), OldManAndHisCar (04-24-2024), TennesseeZ4 (04-23-2024), The_Judge (04-24-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 04:39 AM

2024 E450 Cabriolet
Because there are more use cases than just opening/closing the garage door from the vehicle sitting in the driveway.
Old 04-24-2024, 08:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by mi_sat
Because there are more use cases than just opening/closing the garage door from the vehicle sitting in the driveway.
Huh? A garage door is either open or closed, or paused somewhere between. All are easily accomplished with the button on the bottom surface of the rearview mirror.

Sounds to me like you have an app in search for a purpose.
The following users liked this post:
OldManAndHisCar (04-24-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 08:13 AM

Received 158 Likes on 114 Posts
W212 E63S Wagon - GSL580 - E63 - E350 - C300
I have this other modern tool that I run my MyQ from....my phone. I have a button on my home screen and press it....takes a second (and I do not want my car connected directly to MyQ)...that is why I have HomeLink.
Old 04-24-2024, 08:24 AM

2024 E450 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by DFWdude
Huh? A garage door is either open or closed, or paused somewhere between. All are easily accomplished with the button on the bottom surface of the rearview mirror.

Sounds to me like you have an app in search for a purpose.
sounds to me like you are past your thinking prime and can’t believe that there’s a use case beyond your limited knowledge. I’ll be sure to keep off your lawn.
CarFan1 (06-20-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 08:27 AM

mi_sat....

Not long ago I got a call from my neighbor who asked if I could help his daughter. Her car was "dead" and she needed to figure out what is wrong and get to school. So, I go over (three doors down) and see what is up. Well, the button on her push to start car was removed and on the floor.....so, push (the key hole)....no start.

I bet you and she would get along splendidly.
Old 04-24-2024, 08:44 AM

2024 E450 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by OldManAndHisCar
mi_sat....

Not long ago I got a call from my neighbor who asked if I could help his daughter. Her car was "dead" and she needed to figure out what is wrong and get to school. So, I go over (three doors down) and see what is up. Well, the button on her push to start car was removed and on the floor.....so, push (the key hole)....no start.

I bet you and she would get along splendidly.
Your user name checks out.
Old 04-24-2024, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 611 Likes on 451 Posts
MB
This is the only use case that I have found useful:

Even though I have my door set to auto close after 10min, I still prefer to close it immediately upon leaving the house. Prior to the Myq connection, sometimes I wasn't sure if I hit the homelink button after reversing and pulling away so I would open the app on my phone to check if the door was closed, of course while I was still driving so not the safest thing to do.

Now I ask Mercedes about the status of my door and she'll say it's open or closed. If it's open, I'll ask her to close it. This happens maybe a few times a year. Is it incredibly useful? Not really. But if you're **** about keeping your garage door closed after you leave the house like me, it is on these very few occasions.

I'd say the only other useful case is if you're in a rush to get home (maybe you have a kid who can't hold it anymore) and you need that garage door opened quickly upon arriving home but instead you could ask Mercedes to open it all the way down the street so that the door is already open when you pull into the driveway. This really only would save maybe 3-5 seconds at most for the majority of people. So less of a use case and I have never used it to open my garage door before arriving home.
Old 04-24-2024, 09:10 AM

I actually use mine to open it more than anything (we close it when we go to dinner in the Golf Cart, like last night). I keep my garage open most all day long, the community we are in have very small issues and most of us in our little plantation. It is set to close at I think 10pm in case I leave it open at night.

We use MyQ to open it for the maid, people working or the folks taking care of the animals.

As for folks in my lawn...well, FL has very solid "Stand your ground" laws - we shoot em! ;-)
CarFan1 (06-20-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,794 Likes on 2,537 Posts
2019 C63CS
Smart garage openers such as MyQ are arguably most useful when not in your car and for automations. I use it mainly in the following scenarios.
  1. I enter and exit my house frequently through the garage on foot or bike, so I can open/close the garage from my phone
  2. When I'm driving a loaner or another car in general, I can open/close the garage from the CarPlay dashboard or phone
  3. I have automations set up that automatically close my garage. For example when I leave, I can tap one button on my phone. This triggers a scene/automation that closes the garage, locks all the doors and arms the alarm system.
  4. Similarly, when I arrive, I can tap a single button on my phone to open the garage, unlock the door to the house and disarm the alarm system in one shot.
  5. Instruct Siri to open/close the garage
My car doesn't support the MyQ integration, and I'm frankly kinda done with MyQ given their recent crackdown on third-party integrations. They refuse to play with the big smart home platforms such as Apple Homekit, Google Home, Alexa etc. Switched to Meross and left MyQ primarily as a backup and for Amazon Key Delivery, but I haven't used it for either in a while. Might delete my MyQ account at some point.

Last edited by superswiss; 04-24-2024 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-24-2024, 11:18 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
2024 AMG GLE53
I have added it and it works well. I can't believe I have reached the point that reaching up to my mirror to press a button is labor intensive...but telling Mercedes to open/close my garage door is rather satisfying
Old 04-24-2024, 11:24 AM

Received 122 Likes on 98 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe
Same here. If I become concerned about whether I closed the grange door, or if it might have reversed direction for some reason (stray cat walking through the sensor beam, for example), or if my distracted wife left it open again, I just check the My Q app. It not only shows me the current status of the garage door (open, closed, opening, closing, or stopped), it lets me close it (or open it if were to want to). And it came free with my replacement garage door opener.
CarFan1 (06-20-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Checking the status of the garage door is a good use case, but it's inconvenient and distracting having to unlock the phone, then open an app to do so. This is one reason I ditched MyQ, because it's kinda its own island and doesn't integrate with the native phone features. I can see my home's status right on the lock screen of my iPhone as shown below. One glance and I know if there's a security concern such as the garage left open. Then I can tap it from the lock screen and close the garage. No third-party app required.

The MBUX integration kinda attempts to do this, but it's still a bit tedious having to first issue a voice command and wait for the answer, instead of being able to see the status at a glance on a screen.

Last edited by superswiss; 04-24-2024 at 11:39 AM.
wildta (04-25-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by mi_sat
sounds to me like you are past your thinking prime and can’t believe that there’s a use case beyond your limited knowledge. I’ll be sure to keep off your lawn.
You'll notice I have several "Likes" below my post #2, and you have none.

I'm so glad that my life is not dependent on manipulating my thumbs on a tiny device 18 hours a day. Developing arthritis in the thumbs before age 40 is a real bummer.
Old 04-24-2024, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Let's keep it friendly. The MBUX/MyQ integration is mediocre at best, so let's not prop it up higher than it deserves. It's clearly an afterthought feature. Voice commands are fine if you are by yourself in the car, but if you have passengers and suddenly start talking to your car to open your garage or ask it if you closed it, you look at best like a dork and worst it won't understand you because the passengers are talking. The fact that there's no UI for it outside of the voice commands makes it mostly meh.
Old 04-24-2024, 03:46 PM

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts
MB W213 E300 4MATIC Luxury Model
Originally Posted by OldManAndHisCar
I have this other modern tool that I run my MyQ from....my phone. I have a button on my home screen and press it....takes a second (and I do not want my car connected directly to MyQ)...that is why I have HomeLink.
I have the same, use the app on my phone or rear view mirror. Phone providers notification each time open/close and you can see the log among other features.
CarFan1 (06-20-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by kingscorpian27
I have the same, use the app on my phone or rear view mirror. Phone providers notification each time open/close and you can see the log among other features.
Yeah, the notifications pretty much already handle the status use case. They serve as confirmation that the garage door is closed. These days as I drive off, I listen for the notification which gets forwarded to my Fitbit so I can quickly glance at my wrist to confirm the door closed and is not obstructed, and I get a notification whenever the door is opened. Technology should make my life easier and notify me about things that need my attention instead of having to actively go and pull the status from a service to confirm. I know all these notifications could get overwhelming, but my iPhone lets me control which notifications I get in real-time and which ones can wait till the end of the day as a daily summary, so as long as the real-time notifications are just those that may need an immediate action, they make life easier.

Last edited by superswiss; 04-24-2024 at 04:48 PM.
CarFan1 (06-20-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 04:58 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
2018 E400 Wagon, P3, Cavansite Blue Metallic, Designo Interior
I had thought about getting the MyQ from Chamberlain but when I saw they would no longer play nice with the Home app on iPhone I chose to get a Meross product instead. Just attach the Metros unit to the grange door opener, an easy job and Meross provided good instructions. Now I can open the garage door by saying, "Siri, open garage door 1 (or 2)" and it opens right up. Same for closing.

95% of the time in my car I use the button on the rear view mirror. However, if I am running CarPlay, the car's screen will automatically show the garage door as an option when I get about ¼ mile from home so I will sometimes click on the that screen to open the door before I get to the driveway - a "parlor trick" for sure.

Better uses though (as mentioned in an earlier post) are for when I am not in my car. Maybe I am in a loaner or rental or a friend is picking me up, dropping me off. Or I went for a walk in the neighborhood, etc. Then it is very valuable to tell my iPhone or Apple Watch, "Siri, open garage door 1." Also, the Meross app will give one an alert if the garage door has been open too long (you choose the time frame). And though I do not use it, the Meross app can be geo-fenced to automatically open/close the door as you approach/leave home and I'm sure some folks would like that.

Finally, one day I was on the golf course and my wife had left her garage remote behind and called me open the door. I was able to open the door for her from my iPhone.
The following 2 users liked this post by beechcamp:
CarFan1 (06-20-2024), superswiss (04-25-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by beechcamp
And though I do not use it, the Meross app can be geo-fenced to automatically open/close the door as you approach/leave home and I'm sure some folks would like that..
Lots of opportunities were missed with this integration that would actually make it really valuable. Geo-fencing is one. I haven't turned on geo-fencing in the Meross app, either, because otherwise if I walk up to the front of the house, the garage opens in the back. Geo-fencing makes sense if it's tied to the car. The garage door should only automatically open if I arrive home by car. Tesla has this feature even with Homelink. That's the kind of stuff MB should have added, instead of a mostly redundant system. I tried once to do this with Home Assistant. Somebody wrote an integration component for Mercedes me connect, so you can trigger automations based on your car's location. Unfortunately, it didn't work very well, because the location is only reported periodically, so sometimes the garage open as I approached my house, but many times I was already in my driveway by the time it finally triggered the automation. I could have probably gotten it to work a bit better by increasing the radius of the geofence, but I didn't want my garage to open when I was still a mile away.

Last edited by superswiss; 04-25-2024 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-25-2024, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by superswiss

Geo-fencing is one. I haven't turned on geo-fencing in the Meross app, either, because otherwise if I walk up to the front of the house, the garage opens in the back. Geo-fencing makes sense if it's tied to the car. The garage door should only automatically open if I arrive home by car.
Tailwind achieves this with a little Bluetooth sensor kept inside your vehicle:
https://gotailwind.com/products/vehicle-sensor
Old 04-26-2024, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by wildta
Tailwind achieves this with a little Bluetooth sensor kept inside your vehicle:
https://gotailwind.com/products/vehicle-sensor
Yes, I am aware. But it's one more thing with a battery that needs to be kept running.
Old 04-26-2024, 07:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by superswiss
Yes, I am aware. But it's one more thing with a battery that needs to be kept running.
With Android, it can make the authorized Bluetooth connection with your vehicle. But I know you use iPhone. The sensor battery will last 18 months so it wouldn't be often. It uses CR2477 which cost around a dollar per battery on Amazon.
Old 04-26-2024, 11:58 AM

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts
'19 E300 w/ activated Multibeam
For quite a while, MyQ has had subpar integration with third party services. It could be a lot better than it is and I can think of several use cases for it. But opening and closing the garage while your driving the car is not one of them. It's really just as simple as pressing the button on the rearview mirror, there's really no need to create a problem for one that doesn't exist. The W213 even supports HomeLink so you dont even have to hold down the button on the mirror like older cars. Just press once and done.
Old 04-26-2024, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by np6345
For quite a while, MyQ has had subpar integration with third party services. It could be a lot better than it is and I can think of several use cases for it. But opening and closing the garage while your driving the car is not one of them. It's really just as simple as pressing the button on the rearview mirror, there's really no need to create a problem for one that doesn't exist. The W213 even supports HomeLink so you dont even have to hold down the button on the mirror like older cars. Just press once and done.
HomeLink integration was present on my 2001 C320 (23 years ago). I used it reliably without any problems. Point is that Mercedes has had this useful feature since the turn of the century, if not before. MB is sometimes faulted for being behind the times... but in this case, no.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Using MyQ Garage Door via Hey Mercedes