Amg C43 Wagon or W213 E Class wagon?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2024, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F150... I KNOW..
Amg C43 Wagon or W213 E Class wagon?

Hello,

Looking at a wagon, and here in Canada, unlike the US, actually have the AMG C43 in a wagon, which the exclusivity in itself is a huge plus.
looking roughly 2019-2020ish.
My target for a while was the E450 Wagon, until I discovered the C43.
I want the sound, (OH that sound) nd the performance of the 43, but I am not in love with the size of the C compared to the E.

Just wondering, looks to me like it's the same engine, is the E450 just a tune and exhaust away from the same car in a bigger package or is the C43 more than that?

Thanks much.
Old 05-26-2024, 07:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,373 Likes on 2,024 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823
Originally Posted by MBDanwec
Hello,

Looking at a wagon, and here in Canada, unlike the US, actually have the AMG C43 in a wagon, which the exclusivity in itself is a huge plus.
looking roughly 2019-2020ish.
My target for a while was the E450 Wagon, until I discovered the C43.
I want the sound, (OH that sound) nd the performance of the 43, but I am not in love with the size of the C compared to the E.

Just wondering, looks to me like it's the same engine, is the E450 just a tune and exhaust away from the same car in a bigger package or is the C43 more than that?

Thanks much.
Totally different vehicle, one is focusing more on luxury one is focusing more on performance. See if this helps:
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-c43-e450.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...s-e-wagon.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...n-sale-us.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...ml#post8779998 (one of the forum members here bought it and posted their impressions)
Old 05-27-2024, 12:06 AM

F150... I KNOW..
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Totally different vehicle, one is focusing more on luxury one is focusing more on performance. See if this helps:
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-c43-e450.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...s-e-wagon.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...n-sale-us.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...ml#post8779998 (one of the forum members here bought it and posted their impressions)
Guess this dillema has happened before! I'm not great at searching here apparently.

Thank you for the links, very much appreciated!

Dan
Old 05-27-2024, 09:17 AM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
Guess this dillema has happened before! I'm not great at searching here apparently.

Thank you for the links, very much appreciated!

Dan
Don't worry : ) if you have any questions, feel free to ask, here to help!

They are both great vehicles that serves different purposes. I personally own a 2017 C 43 but I had many opportunities to try my family member's 2019 E 450. They share the exact same engine and transmission, the transmission is massaged by amg on the C 43 though and the shifts are quicker and more aggressive but also harsher.

I think the main problem with the C 43 is the transmission's programming, nothing wrong reliability wise but the software logic leaves a lot to be desired.
The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (06-21-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 762 Likes on 530 Posts
2018 AMG E43
There are many differences between an AMG branded model (two number model designation) and a non-AMG branded model (three number model designation) beyond engine HP and TQ numbers.

I remember reading somewhere in the past that on average there are around 1800 differences between a "standard" model and a AMG model. This includes everything from the drivetrain, higher capacity cooling, suspension, interior and exterior components, software code, etc.

It's not purely all about the engine, so it makes it difficult to compare a AMG model to a non-AMG model. Many differences are not so obvious.

Old 05-28-2024, 04:57 PM

F150... I KNOW..
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

For me, I have a twofold issue- I need a wagon or SUV, this is a non-negot. I'm downsizing from a loaded full-size F150 because I'm tired of it, I need a bit of spice! So I've commiting to managing with a sport wagon and trailer.
(Of course I could just keep the truck and buy a 2000's toy of some kind. Meh)

I often have a 2 hr highway commute. Sometimes it can be several round trips per week, and I can be pretty exhausted when starting the return trip. The truck is roomy and quiet... nice cruiser. So I wonder if the C will be too jumpy and small for the highway. That being said I had a Golf R years ago and that thing was a little tank on the highway, and I'd expect the C to be similarly solid.

I haven't driven either wagon yet, and I'll figure it once once I do, it's just always great to hear from people who went down the same path.

I guess I really am looking for two cars in one, it's just too bad that with the yearly miles I put on I can't justify affording an E53.

Cheers!

Old 05-28-2024, 05:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

For me, I have a twofold issue- I need a wagon or SUV, this is a non-negot. I'm downsizing from a loaded full-size F150 because I'm tired of it, I need a bit of spice! So I've commiting to managing with a sport wagon and trailer.
(Of course I could just keep the truck and buy a 2000's toy of some kind. Meh)

I often have a 2 hr highway commute. Sometimes it can be several round trips per week, and I can be pretty exhausted when starting the return trip. The truck is roomy and quiet... nice cruiser. So I wonder if the C will be too jumpy and small for the highway. That being said I had a Golf R years ago and that thing was a little tank on the highway, and I'd expect the C to be similarly solid.

I haven't driven either wagon yet, and I'll figure it once once I do, it's just always great to hear from people who went down the same path.

I guess I really am looking for two cars in one, it's just too bad that with the yearly miles I put on I can't justify affording an E53.

Cheers!
I will definitely go the wagon route, you get a vehicle that drives like a car yet the practicality of an SUV and especially that you want a long-way commuter. The only thing you don't get in a wagon is the ground clearance of an SUV. Unless you get the All-Terrain version (it is still no SUV ground clearance but still higher than a regular wagon) but that is a story for another day.

You might want to get a MB wagon with DISTRONIC and just let it drive to make the experience even more enjoyable, always keep your eye on the road though.

I do not recommend keeping the truck and buy another car instead of buying the wagon for the following reasons:

1. Life is too short, let's enjoy ourselves

2. The truck is unlikely that well insulated compared to an MB wagon on the highway so you get wind noise, tire noise and the physics (drag, as it is less aerodynamic as a MB wagon), which also means you get less gas mileage. That said, you said the truck is quiet so maybe you have the higher trims but is it really as quiet as an E-Class wagon? Especially with the acoustic sound package? You can also get massage in the E-wagon for even added comfort and if you are into that stuff, fragrance as well.

3. The truck you have also unlikely to have as comfortable suspension as an MB wagon nor as comfortable seats.

4. The MB is safer, at least that is in their marketing for so many years. The truck is probably body-on-frame that alone might not be as safe.

5. The truck due to weight might eat tires quicker but MB wagons if I recalled correctly have run-flats which also have poor tire life, tire pressure plays a role too.

6. Driving dynamics, attacking corners the wagon might be the edge due to more nimble and lighter over a truck.

7. Wagon might be easier to park but depends, as wagons are quite long.

8. Smiles per miles in the MB wagon especially if you get a C 43.

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 05-28-2024 at 05:19 PM.
Old 05-29-2024, 05:40 PM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
2020 E53 AMG
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
I will definitely go the wagon route, you get a vehicle that drives like a car yet the practicality of an SUV and especially that you want a long-way commuter. The only thing you don't get in a wagon is the ground clearance of an SUV. Unless you get the All-Terrain version (it is still no SUV ground clearance but still higher than a regular wagon) but that is a story for another day.

You might want to get a MB wagon with DISTRONIC and just let it drive to make the experience even more enjoyable, always keep your eye on the road though.

I do not recommend keeping the truck and buy another car instead of buying the wagon for the following reasons:

1. Life is too short, let's enjoy ourselves

2. The truck is unlikely that well insulated compared to an MB wagon on the highway so you get wind noise, tire noise and the physics (drag, as it is less aerodynamic as a MB wagon), which also means you get less gas mileage. That said, you said the truck is quiet so maybe you have the higher trims but is it really as quiet as an E-Class wagon? Especially with the acoustic sound package? You can also get massage in the E-wagon for even added comfort and if you are into that stuff, fragrance as well.

3. The truck you have also unlikely to have as comfortable suspension as an MB wagon nor as comfortable seats.

4. The MB is safer, at least that is in their marketing for so many years. The truck is probably body-on-frame that alone might not be as safe.

5. The truck due to weight might eat tires quicker but MB wagons if I recalled correctly have run-flats which also have poor tire life, tire pressure plays a role too.

6. Driving dynamics, attacking corners the wagon might be the edge due to more nimble and lighter over a truck.

7. Wagon might be easier to park but depends, as wagons are quite long.

8. Smiles per miles in the MB wagon especially if you get a C 43.
Items 2, 3 and 5 are wrong in my experience.

My E53 is louder inside with Pirelli run-flats than my Mazdaspeed 3 from years back let alone an F150. Get rid of those tires and it will be a different story. I have an Expedition and it's quiter than the E53 ever will be. There is no wind noise off the F150/Expedition, I cannot say that for E53. An Expedition max can cruise at under 10l/100km. For the power and size of the vehicle it is alarmingly close, it's not better but it's closer than it should be.

Regarding suspension, if it's comfort your after the Expedition is superior, the trucks aren't quite as good. Different story otherwise. Platinums have the massage package, its a bit noisy...the Mercedes isn't.

For tires and brakes, I got 115,000km out of my first set of brakes, I'm at nearly six years and my original sets up summer and winter tires are still fine, probably 30% remaining.

Don't get me wrong, I love the car but modern full size trucks are often luxurious and have virtually every amenity. The 3.5 l put out 400 HP and 480 lb ft and is relaxed and easy going doing it.

If I'm doing a road trip to Vegas it's in the Expedition, if I'm crossing the Rockies it's in the E53

Last edited by YYC53; 05-29-2024 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-29-2024, 07:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
Originally Posted by YYC53
Items 2, 3 and 5 are wrong in my experience.

My E53 is louder inside with Pirelli run-flats than my Mazdaspeed 3 from years back let alone an F150. Get rid of those tires and it will be a different story. I have an Expedition and it's quiter than the E53 ever will be. There is no wind noise off the F150/Expedition, I cannot say that for E53. An Expedition max can cruise at under 10l/100km. For the power and size of the vehicle it is alarmingly close, it's not better but it's closer than it should be.

Regarding suspension, if it's comfort your after the Expedition is superior, the trucks aren't quite as good. Different story otherwise. Platinums have the massage package, its a bit noisy...the Mercedes isn't.

For tires and brakes, I got 115,000km out of my first set of brakes, I'm at nearly six years and my original sets up summer and winter tires are still fine, probably 30% remaining.

Don't get me wrong, I love the car but modern full size trucks are often luxurious and have virtually every amenity. The 3.5 l put out 400 HP and 480 lb ft and is relaxed and easy going doing it.

If I'm doing a road trip to Vegas it's in the Expedition, if I'm crossing the Rockies it's in the E53
Thanks for commenting with actual ownership experience.
Old 05-30-2024, 09:12 PM

Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts
2022 C300 AMG-Line; 2020 E450; 2013 SLK350
C-class versus E-class… size, comfort, prestige, driving dynamics, handling, maintenance costs, repair costs, insurance costs, ownership experience, fun factor, utility, and needs. Lots of differences, both small and large between these two model levels. I own both a C300 and an E450, and can tell you these two cars are miles apart in so many ways. The C is way more nimble than the E, while the latter is way more comfortable and just smoother to drive than the C. Of course both of my cars are attired at different feature levels which may make the big difference for me, but these two cars are for different purposes…

If the OP want a people and material hauler, there is no debate, it’s the bigger and more comfortable E-class. OTOH, if the need is more fun while hauling people and materials, it is the C-class.

The choice is yours…
Old 05-31-2024, 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 792 Likes on 626 Posts
I used to own a C, but there was no way to have an adult in the rear unless they sit sideways. In my E an adult in the rear is very tight and the driver's seat must be very far forward. Due to my long legs, I drive with the seat all the way back and the steering wheel all the way forward (arms out Italian style). Fortunately I don't often have a passenger in the rear. Otherwise I'd have to go back to the S.
Old 05-31-2024, 08:35 AM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
Originally Posted by ua549
I used to own a C, but there was no way to have an adult in the rear unless they sit sideways. In my E an adult in the rear is very tight and the driver's seat must be very far forward. Due to my long legs, I drive with the seat all the way back and the steering wheel all the way forward (arms out Italian style). Fortunately I don't often have a passenger in the rear. Otherwise I'd have to go back to the S.
I just remembered someone mentioned an Accord was larger than the interior of an E-Class (specifically talking about W213 not W214) https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg/...d-e-class.html
Old 06-01-2024, 12:52 PM

F150... I KNOW..
Thanks for the replies!

My truck is a top tier F150. Acoustic glass, all that. It's quiet. It just absolutely gargles fuel however, and when empty the rear rides like a truck. The only fun factor is flooring it in a straight line and listening to the 400hp v8 roar. Other than that it's.... a truck.

Still haven't had a chance to drive either the C or E. What was the mention of the c43 tranny programming leaving something to be desired?

Old 06-01-2024, 02:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
Thanks for the replies!

My truck is a top tier F150. Acoustic glass, all that. It's quiet. It just absolutely gargles fuel however, and when empty the rear rides like a truck. The only fun factor is flooring it in a straight line and listening to the 400hp v8 roar. Other than that it's.... a truck.

Still haven't had a chance to drive either the C or E. What was the mention of the c43 tranny programming leaving something to be desired?
It is very jerky but it could also have to do with driving habits.

If the truck is that quiet and comfortable on the highway, I might second think my recommendation of selling it in my previous post.
Old 06-02-2024, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 209 Posts
2019 E300
Thanks for the replies!

Maybe a used E class all terrain wagon is worth looking at, it sits a bit higher.

Last edited by The G Man; 06-02-2024 at 08:25 AM.
Old 06-03-2024, 02:41 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
2018 E400 Wagon, P3, Cavansite Blue Metallic, Designo Interior
I had C Class Wagon a while ago (loved it!) and now I have an E Class Wagon and love it. Go for the E Class, there's plenty of power in that engine plus it is way more roomy than the C Class wagon.