E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Extended warranty transfer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2024, 12:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 MB E450 4matic wagon
Extended warranty transfer

I recently acquired a 2019 E450 wagon with 37K miles from a private seller through Autotrader. I am the third owner. Incidentally, I purchased the car one week before the expiry of its 4 yr warranty.

After the purchase, I called MB customer support with an intention of buying an extended warranty just a few days before expiry. I was pleasantly surprised when I was told that the original owner had in fact purchased an extended 7 yr/75K warranty which covered the car until 2027.

Today morning, while I was at the dealership, the service agent looked at the record for the car and confirmed that the extended warranty was present, but suggested that I call customer service to get it “transferred to my name” without which it would be of no benefit to me. She even suggested that there might be a fee to transfer and I should be able to get the details from them when I call.

Since then, I have been on multiple calls with various customer service agents who seem to be giving me varying bits of information which has left me thoroughly confused. For example, I have been told the following by different people at different times:
  • The car is covered under warranty until 2027. A new extended warranty cannot be purchased.
  • The warranty is active but not available to me since it is not in my name.
  • There is no way of transferring the warranty to my name since I didn’t pay for it.
  • While the base warranty is associated with the vehicle and automatically transfers to subsequent owners, extended warranty doesn’t.
  • All warranties are associated with the vehicle and transfer automatically with the transfer of ownership which is why there is no way to request such a transfer.
Needless to say, MB support people have asked for a few days to research this issue and give me a definitive answer. I find it surprising that such a lack of clarity can exist regarding such an essential matter. So I would like to pose this question to this hive-mind: what is the truth? Does extended warranty automatically transfer? Am I covered or not?

​​​​​​​thank you all!

Old 06-01-2024, 09:10 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 C300

Attached is the transfer section from the ELW I purchaed with my '19 C Class..
The following 3 users liked this post by mmaldin:
Highline-Autos.com (06-03-2024), JTK44 (06-01-2024), Kumar2024 (06-02-2024)