I’m gonna make the switch to non run flat tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2024, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 660 Likes on 518 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
I’m gonna make the switch to non run flat tires

Tired of the poor ride quality with the runflats. Thinking pirelli cinturato p7 plus tires. Had initially thought about the continental dws 06 plus tires but those are more of a performance (ultra high performance) tire and probably does not ride as well do to stiffer sidewalls. But the real question here is who here has replaced the oem size 245/40/19 with a 245/45/19 size. This would give the tire a slightly higher profile with a taller sidewall therefore helping ride quality. Were there any clearance issues or much speedometer error? I know there would be a slight change. Ride quality has been an issue with this car for a long time. I think the reason I have Michelins primacy 3 run flats on the car for a long time now and that is a very stiff high performance run flat in size 245/40/19. Very low profile. The car handles like it’s on rails but I want a better ride quality.
Old 06-07-2024, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 762 Likes on 530 Posts
2018 AMG E43
Wise move IMO. It seems like those that are happy with run-flats may sleep on a sheet of plywood instead of a mattress.

A 245/45/19 is a full inch greater in diameter, so the entire car will be raised by roughly 1/2" and you will occupy roughly an additional 1/2" of fenderwell. If you are at stock ride height there will be no interference issues but if you are concerned about looks, it may give the car a bit more of an all-terrain style look.

Yes it will effect your speedometer calibration but otherwise won't hurt anything.

You can see the differences and speedo variances by plugging in both sizes here:

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Old 06-07-2024, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 569 Likes on 428 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
Tired of the poor ride quality with the runflats. Thinking pirelli cinturato p7 plus tires. Had initially thought about the continental dws 06 plus tires but those are more of a performance (ultra high performance) tire and probably does not ride as well do to stiffer sidewalls. But the real question here is who here has replaced the oem size 245/40/19 with a 245/45/19 size. This would give the tire a slightly higher profile with a taller sidewall therefore helping ride quality. Were there any clearance issues or much speedometer error? I know there would be a slight change. Ride quality has been an issue with this car for a long time. I think the reason I have Michelins primacy 3 run flats on the car for a long time now and that is a very stiff high performance run flat in size 245/40/19. Very low profile. The car handles like it’s on rails but I want a better ride quality.
Just a thought to consider: I have RF with 18 inch wheels. (I like them but that is another topic) I have had to replace the tires with plenty of tread life left because of bubbles in the side walls.

Going forward I will replace with tires from Costco because of the 5 year road hazard guarantee.

Just my $.02.
The following users liked this post:
CarFan1 (06-07-2024)
Old 06-07-2024, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,547 Likes on 2,025 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Our 2019 E450 wagon came with AirMatic and 18” wheels. Ride quality was OK on the Goodyear run flats, but when I put Bridgestone QuietTrack non-RFT on it, it was a significant improvement.

I will also second the idea of Costco. They do an excellent job and I have used them on several occasions. ALSO, Bridgestone gives you a Free Trial. Don’t like the tires, bring them back within some reasonable time period, I forgot just what it is.

I can’t believe they don’t offer this lovely wagon like this anymore. Oh well.

CarFan1 (06-07-2024)
Old 06-07-2024, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 AMG E43
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Our 2019 E450 wagon came with AirMatic and 18” wheels. Ride quality was OK on the Goodyear run flats, but when I put Bridgestone QuietTrack non-RFT on it, it was a significant improvement.

I will also second the idea of Costco. They do an excellent job and I have used them on several occasions. ALSO, Bridgestone gives you a Free Trial. Don’t like the tires, bring them back within some reasonable time period, I forgot just what it is.

Agreed about the ride quality. I used to be happy with my 56K modem because I didn't know any better.

Beautiful wagon there!

Last edited by Keith66; 06-07-2024 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-07-2024, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 792 Likes on 626 Posts
Why not keep the same size and get the Pirelli P7 245/40R19?

Last edited by ua549; 06-07-2024 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-07-2024, 07:24 PM

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts
MB W213 E300 4MATIC Luxury Model
Originally Posted by JTK44
Just a thought to consider: I have RF with 18 inch wheels. (I like them but that is another topic) I have had to replace the tires with plenty of tread life left because of bubbles in the side walls.

Going forward I will replace with tires from Costco because of the 5 year road hazard guarantee.

Just my $.02.
Word to the wise, if you go with Costco and there are any drivability issues, MB will blame the tires. They did that to me and luckily after more that a year, Costco took them back and provided me with a full refund. After replacing them with tires from the MB dealership, had the same issue. They eventually had to replace rotors and brake pads.
Old 06-07-2024, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Originally Posted by kingscorpian27
Word to the wise, if you go with Costco and there are any drivability issues, MB will blame the tires. They did that to me and luckily after more that a year, Costco took them back and provided me with a full refund. After replacing them with tires from the MB dealership, had the same issue. They eventually had to replace rotors and brake pads.
So there was absolutely nothing wrong with the tires!

Way to go MB service: blame tires when the culprit is brakes and rotors.

I doubt that only a few actually have their tires replaced at a MB dealer. Most go to a tire store.

So what your dealership was telling you was complete BS.

FYI: many years ago I was in a large Audi service center and their were many, many tires there. Clearly marked was: TIRE RACK
Old 06-07-2024, 08:18 PM

So there was absolutely nothing wrong with the tires!

Way to go MB service: blame tires when the culprit is brakes and rotors.

I doubt that only a few actually have their tires replaced at a MB dealer. Most go to a tire store.

So what your dealership was telling you was complete BS.

FYI: many years ago I was in a large Audi service center and their were many, many tires there. Clearly marked was: TIRE RACK
That’s what I told them as well. They never accept responsibility for anything. I even printed out post from this forum where other members were expressing similar concerns with the car shimmering at certain speeds and when braking. The next time it happened, the blamed the issue on me washing the car. I just paid to get the rotors and brake peds replaced because by then the warranty had expired.
Old 06-07-2024, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That’s what I told them as well. They never accept responsibility for anything. I even printed out post from this forum where other members were expressing similar concerns with the car shimmering at certain speeds and when braking. The next time it happened, the blamed the issue on me washing the car. I just paid to get the rotors and brake peds replaced because by then the warranty had expired.
Interesting:

Brake pads: there is a sensor in the pads. When the pads are worn, the sensor makes contact and a red light comes on in your instrument cluster. This happened to me on my rear brake pads at 30,000 miles

Rotors: I find that a visual inspection is the best way to determine whether rotors need to be replaced. (If you think they are worn then the thickness can also be measured) My rear rotors were heavily scored and needed to be replaced. My tire shop believed the electronic brakes in the rear were the cause. When I had my oil changed at my indy shop, I mentioned needing new rear rotors. He also confirmed that the electronic brakes were the culprit.

Sometimes when I put my car in reverse in backing out of my garage, my E450 does not move. I then hit the brake release and the car is then finw. For some reason when I put my car in "P" and the next day in "R" the brake does not release. I think, my opinion only, that the failure to release the rear brakes when I put the car in "R" is what caused the damage to my rear rotors.

My front rotors, which are drilled (from the factory) show little to no wear. Ditto with the front brake pads.
Old 06-07-2024, 08:48 PM

Interesting:

Brake pads: there is a sensor in the pads. When the pads are worn, the sensor makes contact and a red light comes on in your instrument cluster. This happened to me on my rear brake pads at 30,000 miles

Rotors: I find that a visual inspection is the best way to determine whether rotors need to be replaced. (If you think they are worn then the thickness can also be measured) My rear rotors were heavily scored and needed to be replaced. My tire shop believed the electronic brakes in the rear were the cause. When I had my oil changed at my indy shop, I mentioned needing new rear rotors. He also confirmed that the electronic brakes were the culprit.

Sometimes when I put my car in reverse in backing out of my garage, my E450 does not move. I then hit the brake release and the car is then finw. For some reason when I put my car in "P" and the next day in "R" the brake does not release. I think, my opinion only, that the failure to release the rear brakes when I put the car in "R" is what caused the damage to my rear rotors.

My front rotors, which are drilled (from the factory) show little to no wear. Ditto with the front brake pads.
1st time they finally claimed warped rotors, the 2nd time they blamed somehow washing the car and tire dressing cause the issue, while there was nothing to indicate that. The biggest issue with MB is they know customers love their vehicles so they do nothing to accommodate their customers unfortunately.
Old 06-07-2024, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 660 Likes on 518 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Good idea with Costco. Infact they just opened a new one a couple of miles from where I live. I’ll have to give it a little thought with increasing the tire size. I know just switching the tires alone to non flats should make a big difference.

on another note the issue talked about with the brakes surprisingly can be caused from the chemicals the car wash uses. I have noticed in the past what happens with my car after going through the car wash and leaving the car parked for even a night in the garage is the rear brake pads stick to the rotor from the e brake automatically being applied and the slightly wet pads with car wash chemicals basically welds the pads to the rotors. You put the car in reverse and it doesn’t want to move then finally you hear the pads break loose of the rear rotors. My solution to this has been to release the ebrake so it’s not on overnight. Hopefully this issue will go away when I eventually do a brake job with powerstop z23 ceramic pads.
Old 06-08-2024, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,547 Likes on 2,025 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Yep, sounds like a dealership—pretty much ANY brand dealership. Blame something or someone else. When I first complained about the ride quality of my brand new, 2022 S580, equipped with their $6,500.00 optional E-ABC suspension option—that was so highly touted by MB as being such an improvement— the SA blamed the factory installed Hankook run flats and tried to SELL me a set of Michelins! So often, when you get a new vehicle, it seems that you need to put on body armor to deal with the service departments.
Old 06-08-2024, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E450
Good idea with Costco. Infact they just opened a new one a couple of miles from where I live. I’ll have to give it a little thought with increasing the tire size. I know just switching the tires alone to non flats should make a big difference.

on another note the issue talked about with the brakes surprisingly can be caused from the chemicals the car wash uses. I have noticed in the past what happens with my car after going through the car wash and leaving the car parked for even a night in the garage is the rear brake pads stick to the rotor from the e brake automatically being applied and the slightly wet pads with car wash chemicals basically welds the pads to the rotors. You put the car in reverse and it doesn’t want to move then finally you hear the pads break loose of the rear rotors. My solution to this has been to release the ebrake so it’s not on overnight. Hopefully this issue will go away when I eventually do a brake job with powerstop z23 ceramic pads.
I have the same issue on my 22 E450. Since it is intermittent, I have yet to figure out the cause. I have noticed that when it is bound up if I release the ebrake button the car moves smoothly with no sticking. Assuming it is the same mechanical mechanism used in both cases, I suspect that software might be involved as opposed to simply sticking.
Old 06-08-2024, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ricschug
I have the same issue on my 22 E450. Since it is intermittent, I have yet to figure out the cause. I have noticed that when it is bound up if I release the ebrake button the car moves smoothly with no sticking. Assuming it is the same mechanical mechanism used in both cases, I suspect that software might be involved as opposed to simply sticking.
As I wrote I have the same problem: Doubt if we all have the same software problem. Suspect there is something in the brake pads. I the winter I go to Colorado for 8 days and leave my car outside. I have often have the problem when I come back.
Old 06-09-2024, 07:52 AM

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
2019 GLC300, 2017 E300
I had the DWS 06 + on my 2017 e300 when I ditched run flats. Beautiful , quiet ride and excellent handling.

only reason I didn’t get them again is because Costco didn’t have them and I went with the Michelin pilot sport AS4. Still a comparable ride. I probably liked the DWS06 better but still a great tire and seems to be wearing better too.
The following 3 users liked this post by Camaroguy72:
Cao Black (06-10-2024), Povitica3 (06-10-2024), Streamliner (06-10-2024)
Old 06-10-2024, 01:48 AM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
2020 E53 AMG
My experience with the DWS was that they had sidewalls more compliant than any Michelin tire I've ever had. I wouldn't characterize them has a hard core performance tire at all. Refund all weather is how I'd put it.

The thing I didn't like about them was that the factory shoulder profile gave a very progressive turn-in. Think lazy and less convincing in direction change. They also wore pretty quickly, but I am again considering them as replacements for the Pirelli car wreckers. They truly are the worst thing I've ever had on a rim.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how Mercedes ended up with these tires on the car. It's a perversion of the car's character and a true half measure to avoid the spare tire.
Old 06-10-2024, 07:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 792 Likes on 626 Posts
I've used DWS and P7 tires extensively on all of my MBs. Both perform well for city driving - much better than Michelin. That being said, I have never, ever gotten more than 20k miles on any set of tires. (IMO it is the Florida heat)

Last edited by ua549; 06-10-2024 at 07:06 AM.
Old 06-10-2024, 10:03 AM

Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts
2022 C300 AMG-Line; 2020 E450; 2013 SLK350
I swear by DWS06 bcos I have been running these tires on my RWD R172 for the past 7 years and they have been very good value and quality. They are excellent in DRY, very competent in WET and decent in SNOW if under 1"... yes, it is a compromise on all these surfaces, but overall, they perform very well in all these conditions.... I am always going to recommend these for any MB regardless if RWD or AWD... they are that good.

That said, my current stock Continental ProContact SSR RFs are still doing well after 30K miles. So far, one has needed replacement due to an unrepairable rip in the side wall, otherwise all continue to perform well... so far. Despite the air suspension, the ride is still somewhat jarring sometimes due to the hardness of these tires. I have read all the pros and cons, and will seriously consider going to non-RFs when these tires are due for replacement... and will surely be going to the Conti DWS06s... its always my go-to-tire. Period. I've tried Michelins, Goodyears, Hankooks, and Pirellis... nope... Conti DWS06 has been the best of the bunch I have had on 20+ cars/SUVs I have had in my 40-year driving history.
Old 06-11-2024, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ricschug

Follow up:

Just took my 2019 E450 into the dealer for some warranty work. I described the brake situation: That after not having driven my car for a few days or after it rains, when I start my car and put it into reverse, it does not move and giving the car more gas it "breaks free".

My SA advised that is perfectly normal: When you put the car in "P", the rear brakes, which are electronic, engage. Given time and or moisture the pads get stuck to the rotors. He suggested before putting the car in reverse to release the emergency brake. This might or might not help.

My SA further advised that this is a known problem. He further states that only Mercedes engages the brakes when the car is put into park and that with automatic transmission when you put the car in part, the transmission locks and engaging the emergency brake is completely unnecessary. (Of course on a manual transmission car you would want to engage the emergency brake or if you are parked on a steep incline.)

The engagement of the rear brakes explains whey I had to replace the rear pads and rotors (badly scored) at 30,000 miles. The front pads and rotors which under normal braking wear faster than the rears are fine.

Thanks Mercedes for doing something that is unnecessary and cost me money!

Last edited by JTK44; 06-11-2024 at 02:08 PM.
Old 06-11-2024, 03:16 PM

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
2018 E-300 4matic Sedan
Originally Posted by Streamliner

I also bought Bridgestone QuietTrack tires from Costco, based on one of your previous posts. I appreciate you providing the feedback.

I'm not enough of a ride quality connoisseur to appreciate the difference, and it probably didn't help that Costco initially put lots of air pressure in the new tires. The "before and after" felt about the same to me.

My biggest issue was that the run flat tires only lasted about 35K miles, and that's somehow considered normal now. I've had the Bridgestone tires for a couple of years now, and I've been happy with them.
Old 06-12-2024, 09:03 AM

2020 E53 AMG
Follow up:

Just took my 2019 E450 into the dealer for some warranty work. I described the brake situation: That after not having driven my car for a few days or after it rains, when I start my car and put it into reverse, it does not move and giving the car more gas it "breaks free".

My SA advised that is perfectly normal: When you put the car in "P", the rear brakes, which are electronic, engage. Given time and or moisture the pads get stuck to the rotors. He suggested before putting the car in reverse to release the emergency brake. This might or might not help.

My SA further advised that this is a known problem. He further states that only Mercedes engages the brakes when the car is put into park and that with automatic transmission when you put the car in part, the transmission locks and engaging the emergency brake is completely unnecessary. (Of course on a manual transmission car you would want to engage the emergency brake or if you are parked on a steep incline.)

The engagement of the rear brakes explains whey I had to replace the rear pads and rotors (badly scored) at 30,000 miles. The front pads and rotors which under normal braking wear faster than the rears are fine.

Thanks Mercedes for doing something that is unnecessary and cost me money!
He's not quite right I saying only Mercedes does this. My 2019 Ford Expedition does it, and I suspect all F150's do it.

While I wouldn't say it's quite as you're experiencing it, you do get a sense that the brake is sometimes slower to release than the transmission is to shift into gear. Nothing significant unless you're really paying attention.

I'd say my '20 E53 is essentially identical.

Rear brakes on the Expedition lasted 115,000 km. Fronts probably would have gone 175,000.

I find the inner rear brakes wear quickly due to the inside rear pinching to tighten corners. Especially with spirited winter driving.
Old 06-12-2024, 09:09 AM

2020 E53 AMG
Originally Posted by Povitica3
I swear by DWS06 bcos I have been running these tires on my RWD R172 for the past 7 years and they have been very good value and quality. They are excellent in DRY, very competent in WET and decent in SNOW if under 1"... yes, it is a compromise on all these surfaces, but overall, they perform very well in all these conditions.... I am always going to recommend these for any MB regardless if RWD or AWD
A few questions for you:
1. How much of a fall-off in performance do you see between the DWS and a pure summer tire?
2. For winter use, how much winter driving do you do? I've run proper summer and winter sets for some time. I'm a bit conflicted on this because my sets have lasted a long time. If I run a/s I'm going to end up pre-emptively swapping out moderately worn tires before winter.
3. Have you found the tires softer or more vague on initial turn-in?
Old 06-12-2024, 01:50 PM

Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts
2022 C300 AMG-Line; 2020 E450; 2013 SLK350
I had also toyed with the idea of upsizing the tires to 245 in order to close the huge fender gap in the stock build of these W213s. I instead decided to add hubcentric spacers to push these donuty wheels out some and see if that improves the overall "look" of the car... and by gosh, it does... see pics below (before & after)

Stock (Before)

Current (After) adding spacers - 15mm (front) and 20mm (rear)

Old 06-12-2024, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 AMG E43
Originally Posted by Povitica3
I had also toyed with the idea of upsizing the tires to 245 in order to close the huge fender gap in the stock build of these W213s. I instead decided to add hubcentric spacers to push these donuty wheels out some and see if that improves the overall "look" of the car... and by gosh, it does... see pics below (before & after)

Stock (Before)

Current (After) adding spacers - 15mm (front) and 20mm (rear)
Nice work. These cars look SO much better with more negative offset from OEM. Looks great!

Povitica3 (06-12-2024)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I’m gonna make the switch to non run flat tires