Help! Did a FACTORY RESET from the dealer menu

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2024, 04:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 E350 Sedan
Unhappy Help! Did a FACTORY RESET from the dealer menu

I did a stupid thing.

2020 W213, I went into the "dealer menu" by holding down the navigation wheel on the vehicle menu. Then I did a "factory reset", and POOF, lost the following:
  • Sat radio
  • Audio (no sound on AM/FM or Media)
  • Ambient light controls
  • Parking assist
  • 4g connectivity
  • Trunk door settings
  • Running lights
  • Lane change assist
  • All cameras including backup
  • probably other stuff too.
Yes, I feel like an idiot. Got an appointment for the dealership on Thursday but I was horrified to realize they have no idea what I am referring to.

I just got the car (CPO) a couple of weeks ago. Anyone have some ideas for:
  1. Fixing the problem myself, or
  2. What key words and phrases to use with the dealership to help them understand the issue.
Thanks so much!
The following users liked this post:
joshuapace (06-12-2024)
Old 06-11-2024, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 792 Likes on 626 Posts
The functions must be individually re-coded using Mercedes Vediamo software.
Old 06-11-2024, 06:09 PM
SPONSOR

Received 797 Likes on 616 Posts
WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
Originally Posted by ratthing
I did a stupid thing.

2020 W213, I went into the "dealer menu" by holding down the navigation wheel on the vehicle menu. Then I did a "factory reset", and POOF, lost the following:
  • Sat radio
  • Audio (no sound on AM/FM or Media)
  • Ambient light controls
  • Parking assist
  • 4g connectivity
  • Trunk door settings
  • Running lights
  • Lane change assist
  • All cameras including backup
  • probably other stuff too.
Yes, I feel like an idiot. Got an appointment for the dealership on Thursday but I was horrified to realize they have no idea what I am referring to.

I just got the car (CPO) a couple of weeks ago. Anyone have some ideas for:
  1. Fixing the problem myself, or
  2. What key words and phrases to use with the dealership to help them understand the issue.
Thanks so much!

Hi

We have a repair pack for this
If you want something clean and perfect

www.benzninja.com

HEAD UNIT RECOVERY!

Dealers will tell you to buy a new head unit... We recover it 100% perfect as it was originally

Last edited by BenzNinja; 06-12-2024 at 05:53 AM.
Old 06-12-2024, 04:22 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E-Class Cabriolet (MY18 A238)
Don’t stress too much, I’ve done this once myself and it was an easy fix at dealer. They charged a few hundred dollars and recoded all the functions. Left the car with them for a day- picked up in afternoon. Always Google things first before pulling any triggers- you live and learn.
Old 06-12-2024, 05:51 AM
SPONSOR

Received 797 Likes on 616 Posts
WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
Originally Posted by joshuapace
Don’t stress too much, I’ve done this once myself and it was an easy fix at dealer. They charged a few hundred dollars and recoded all the functions. Left the car with them for a day- picked up in afternoon. Always Google things first before pulling any triggers- you live and learn.
maybe in Australia not in the USA
Old 06-18-2024, 03:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 E350 Sedan
If you end up doing this to your MB, CALL @BenzNinja !!!

Basically, just install and set up WhatsApp on your phone, then go to BenzNinja's website and follow the directions. A nice guy in Colorado will ship you a box with a laptop, wires, and hardware to connect to your car's ODB2 port. Then you set up an appointment with BenzNinja, who will remotely access the laptop and do the work in about 20 minutes (in my case). Afterwards, when you say all is good, the guy in Colorado will send you a shipping label to ship the equipment back to him.

My dealership had NO CLUE about how to repair my stupid mistake. After I read that some dealerships will charge you to replace the head unit, I figured the few hundred dollars to BenzNinja would be worth it.
The following 2 users liked this post by ratthing:
BenzNinja (06-18-2024), Cao Black (06-18-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 06:03 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E-Class Cabriolet (MY18 A238)
Haha- if your dealer tells you to buy a new head unit, you need for find a new dealer or call Mercedes-Benz corporate in your country.

This isn’t a complicated problem to fix for any dealership. However, it's very good to know there are third parties now that can fix it too. This means more competition, that is very beneficial for the end customer.
Old 06-19-2024, 04:36 PM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
2020 E53 AMG
I think there are some side benefits to working with Benz Ninja...this is based on reading this forum not personal experience.

I did the same thing, in my case it was on warranty...your CPO should be too. I did it because Mercedes Me wasn't connecting and I wasn't getting 4G through the communications and wasn't seeing the Mercedes Me services come through as they should. Don't do this, just don't.

I initiated a Mercedes Me case before I scheduled the dealer appt. If you don't, the dealer will initiate the Merc Me case and will have to wait just like any other support case as they diagnose the vehicle. There are things the technical support must do, and things that require dealer intervention. The point is that the dealer has to wait, so if this happens, initiate and resolve the Merc Me support case before taking the car to the dealer.