EQE SUV (X294) Forum for Discussion of EQE SUV

Wet Floor Mat

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2024, 08:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EQE350+
Wet Floor Mat

The car is a '23 EQE350+. Two months old/1200 miles.

Yesterday morning when climbing in I noticed a large wet spot on the drivers side floor mat. It had rained during the night, though not hard. It appeared that water had dripped down from the bottom of the dashboard onto the floor mat and formed a wet spot about 12 inches long and 3 inches wide. There was no moisture in the carpet underneath. I did some examining under the dashboard with a flashlight and could not see anything, but when I felt around the panel next to the OBD port that allows the hood to be removed, a small amount of water ran down my fingers and onto the floor mat!

Whoops. 400 volts + water could potentially create a very bad day....

This is not something I want to mess with so we took the car to the dealership. I came up with three possible scenarios:

1. Air conditioner drain is blocked.

2. Sunroof drain tube has come undone.

3. Windshield leaking.

Has anyone seen anything like this yet?
Old 04-05-2024, 10:14 AM

Received 100 Likes on 75 Posts
EQE SUV 500 4Matic
Sorry to hear you are experiencing this!
For the winter months, I have had rubber floor mats in my EQE SUV 500. Because of this, I would have noticed any dripping/pooling water very easily if there had been a leak. Fortunately, there hasn't.
It will be interesting to learn what the dealer finds. It could lead us to do some "preventative" work.
The following users liked this post:
LizardDriver (04-05-2024)
Old 04-05-2024, 12:12 PM

Received 218 Likes on 152 Posts
2023 EQE350 4MATIC, 2023 EQE 350 4MATIC SUV, 1995 E300 Diesel
Sorry to hear this. We haven't seen anything like this in our cars. Plugged drain is unlikely unless you regularly park under trees that release extreme amounts of debris. Likely a windshield leak, if I had to guess. Those can be tricky.

Don't worry about the 400V high voltage system. All of that is water tight, and none of it is running through the dash. But it could lead to gremlins in the 12V system for sure. Hope they can find it quickly!
Old 04-08-2024, 04:39 PM

EQE350+
Update: The MB dealership's service department couldn't find anything wrong. I asked them (asked....) if they had sprayed water on the car and predictably they said yes.

Stay tuned. Something tells me this will happen again~
Old 05-02-2024, 10:04 PM

EQE350+
WELL, we had the first rain in many days two days ago, and this water leak was REPEATED.

So we took the car [The $91,000 car that we have owned for about 8 weeks...] BACK to the dealership. It turns out they found a grommet that had not been installed properly. The water was coming from the panel under the drivers side of the dashboard where you pull the pin to release the hood panel.

This is what I posited to them a month ago. They say they will have it ready Saturday....Stay tuned!
The following users liked this post:
ScottC2 (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 06:36 AM

Received 100 Likes on 75 Posts
EQE SUV 500 4Matic
Thank you for the update! I will keep this in mind for possible future reference.
It's great to hear that it was something simple and not anything to do with the windshield!
Old 05-04-2024, 05:45 PM

EQE350+
OK, here is what they found. I am going to type in selected sections of the "Repair Order Detail-Customer Copy"

"CHECK VEHICLE, FOUND: WATER BUILD ON DRIVERS FLOOR MATS, REMOVE LEFT A PILLAR COVER, REMOVE DRIVERS SIDE UNDER PANEL, PERFORM VEHICLE WATER TES, FOUND: WATER LEAKING INTO VEHICLE FROM HOOD OPENER CABLE, REMOVE WIPER ARMS, REMOVE WIPER ARMS UNDER COVER, INSPECT HOOD OPENER CABLE, FOUND: HOOD OPEENER CABLE RUBBER GROMMET NOT INSTALLED PROPERLY, CORRECTING HOOD GROMMET INSTALLATION, INSTALL ALL THE PARTS, AFTER REPAIR PERFORM WATER TEST ON VEHICLE FOUND OK, DELIVERED VEHICLE TO CUSTOMER"

Apparently a small seal, a "grommet"? was installed wrong at the factory.

So far, this is the solution; More if it comes back....Stay tuned!