EQE SUV 2-Month Impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2023, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 554 Likes on 411 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by icwhatudidthere
It's the only way to use Dolby Atmos spatial music but other than that, there's no advantage to using the built-in apps.
I believe Apple Music connected via Carplay will also give you Dolby Atmos spatial music.
Old 09-27-2023, 10:26 AM

Received 204 Likes on 140 Posts
2023 EQE350 4MATIC, 2023 EQE 350 4MATIC SUV, 1995 E300 Diesel
Originally Posted by LastOne
A question on your long road trips: do you plan/document the route ahead of time using a smartphone app with stops for charging/rest/meals, or do you just start off in the car and put your destination into MBUX and let it plan the appropriate stops?
A good question - I usually use ABRP the day before a long road trip just in case there's some really unusual situation with a charger. But once I'm in the car, I only use the car's MBUX. As mentioned before, the car has had a perfect track record of finding chargers when needed. Again the disclaimer that maybe the Midwest and upper South have better charging networks (for sure they're newer than older more established early adopters), but that's been my experience.
The following users liked this post:
LastOne (09-27-2023)
Old 09-27-2023, 04:07 PM

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
EQE 500
Originally Posted by wildta
I believe Apple Music connected via Carplay will also give you Dolby Atmos spatial music.
That would be cool if it does. I wonder how to tell if it’s working.
Old 09-27-2023, 08:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
eqe
Originally Posted by bytemaster0
A good question - I usually use ABRP the day before a long road trip just in case there's some really unusual situation with a charger. But once I'm in the car, I only use the car's MBUX. As mentioned before, the car has had a perfect track record of finding chargers when needed. Again the disclaimer that maybe the Midwest and upper South have better charging networks (for sure they're newer than older more established early adopters), but that's been my experience.

What is ABRB?
Also I understand in order to continue getting traffic information with MBUX I would need to continue subscription to xm radio once the 6 month free trial ends. Is the xm account also necessary to use MBUX to find chargers?

I am not a huge fan of xm, and will probably stream Spotify or Pandora. Then use waze for traffic info. Unless there is a compelling reason to keep XM. Keeping xm usually means playing the game with them of canceling when they hike the price and renegotiating the old price 🙄
Old 09-27-2023, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by icwhatudidthere
That would be cool if it does. I wonder how to tell if it’s working.
I use Android but I do remember reading about it:

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2022/...c%20experience.

https://www.motor1.com/news/684850/m...700k-vehicles/
Old 09-27-2023, 08:49 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
EQE350 SUV 4MATIC
Originally Posted by m2s2
What is ABRB?
A Better Route Planner is a website that allows you to specify what car you have, the current charge level, and then all the stops you would like to make. It then determines where to charge, how much, for how long, and the duration of each leg of your trip. It takes a little work to figure it out, but it is quite useful.
Old 09-27-2023, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by m2s2
What is ABRB?
Also I understand in order to continue getting traffic information with MBUX I would need to continue subscription to xm radio once the 6 month free trial ends. Is the xm account also necessary to use MBUX to find chargers?
Sirius/XM was required for older (pre-2017) MB vehicles to receive traffic information (our 2016 GLE 300d receives traffic updates this way). However, I think that has changed, and data comes over the 4G radio over Internet. It's an add-on service through MB. On my 2019 W213 E-class, which I traded for the EQE, it was this way, and traffic data was provided by TomTom with a yearly subscription after 3 years. Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken on this service.
Old 09-28-2023, 02:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
'23 EQE
Update the original post with another month and a half of driving experience.

Month 3 Update:
I have not gone to the dealer to address any of the previous mentioned issues yet. There was OTA MBUX update, couldn't not see any functional changes, hopefully it's more stable.
1. The upper back ventilation on my driver side stopped working. Absolutely no air comes out of it, but the bottom seat still does. I compared this to the passenger seat. Although the airflow is so subtle, I'm beginning to question if it ever worked.
2. Consistent rear camera calibration / opening is still an almost daily annoyance.
3. MB is absolutely selling detailed diagnostic data. My rear wheel took a nail and is experiencing a slow leak as of a couple of days ago. I did not search on any phone/computer about flats, tires, etc. and I am getting tire repair suggestions on Youtube. Awesome.
4. The Mercedes Me app on Android has no way to force a refresh on the car info while you're in it. Every time I get a notification for door unlocked, etc, I go into the app and it'll be 100% out of date information. The only workaround is to swipe force close or use the back key and confirm the "Are you sure you want to close..." and relaunch. Immensely poor experience and annoying.

Other than that, still okay! LOL
Old 09-28-2023, 05:58 PM

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by wildta
No, there is no Dolby Atmos via CarPlay.

It used to work at the start when Atmos was first introduced.
Then for some reason, they disabled Atmos using CarPlay after one of the iOS 15 updates, and it has never been re-enabled since.
Old 09-28-2023, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by toastedcoconut1
Update the original post with another month and a half of driving experience.
2. Consistent rear camera calibration / opening is still an almost daily annoyance.
3. MB is absolutely selling detailed diagnostic data. My rear wheel took a nail and is experiencing a slow leak as of a couple of days ago. I did not search on any phone/computer about flats, tires, etc. and I am getting tire repair suggestions on Youtube. Awesome.
4. The Mercedes Me app on Android has no way to force a refresh on the car info while you're in it. Every time I get a notification for door unlocked, etc, I go into the app and it'll be 100% out of date information. The only workaround is to swipe force close or use the back key and confirm the "Are you sure you want to close..." and relaunch. Immensely poor experience and annoying.
2. I had this for about a week with my sedan, maybe a bit longer. It hasn't come back since. I tried the "slow straight drive" method that works on our '16 GLE 300d but it didn't do anything. After about a week or two, it magically resolved itself. Check with dealer, though depending on how competent, they may not know what to do.
3. I am positive this is not the case. I'm a network/embedded systems security researcher among other things and can't even begin to tell you how many different ways these suggestions are computed. But it's not coming from the car - MB's privacy policies and rules like GDPR make it impossible for them to sell it on. Now, voice assistants? Maybe. From studies I've done, only hotwords are transmitted, but then again, looking at the sheer amount of data sent from the smart speakers, I suspect there's more going on.
4. Yup. Super annoying. I have the open/swipe away/open routine every time I open it. At very least they should let us rubber-band refresh on it.
Old 09-29-2023, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 286 Posts
EQ
3. I've never experienced this based on my car, however I have experienced the same things countless times in terms of what ads are being served. My phone and/or voice assistant device has always been nearby when it happens.
Old 10-01-2023, 01:43 AM

'23 EQE
2. I had this for about a week with my sedan, maybe a bit longer. It hasn't come back since. I tried the "slow straight drive" method that works on our '16 GLE 300d but it didn't do anything. After about a week or two, it magically resolved itself. Check with dealer, though depending on how competent, they may not know what to do.
3. I am positive this is not the case. I'm a network/embedded systems security researcher among other things and can't even begin to tell you how many different ways these suggestions are computed. But it's not coming from the car - MB's privacy policies and rules like GDPR make it impossible for them to sell it on. Now, voice assistants? Maybe. From studies I've done, only hotwords are transmitted, but then again, looking at the sheer amount of data sent from the smart speakers, I suspect there's more going on.
4. Yup. Super annoying. I have the open/swipe away/open routine every time I open it. At very least they should let us rubber-band refresh on it.
2. Doing the slow roll and keeping the steering wheel does work. But I mean you need to maintain sub-15 mph for almost a whole minute. You have to really find a location and time to do it. I've done it and the camera retracts, but then it does reset and happen again. I suspect my garage is on an incline which maybe causes it to lose its calibration very often.
​​​

3. GDPR doesn't protect against any of this. Your usage of the app, MB account, network services, heck then the vehicle itself comes with a huge set of informed consent advertising and tracking agreements. Proper tagging, retention and deleting policy is all those laws give you. You can go into your MB app, privacy/legal and it'll tell you it will share your usage and driving information with thrd parties. Then the cascading transfer of data will follow and end up on your Google AdSense profile of you very easily.
Old 10-01-2023, 07:19 PM

2. Doing the slow roll and keeping the steering wheel does work. But I mean you need to maintain sub-15 mph for almost a whole minute. You have to really find a location and time to do it. I've done it and the camera retracts, but then it does reset and happen again. I suspect my garage is on an incline which maybe causes it to lose its calibration very often.
​​​

3. GDPR doesn't protect against any of this. Your usage of the app, MB account, network services, heck then the vehicle itself comes with a huge set of informed consent advertising and tracking agreements. Proper tagging, retention and deleting policy is all those laws give you. You can go into your MB app, privacy/legal and it'll tell you it will share your usage and driving information with thrd parties. Then the cascading transfer of data will follow and end up on your Google AdSense profile of you very easily.
2. Mine started doing it again randomly after not having heard it for a very long time. I think it stopped again. Will try the sub-15 trick again, usually it took a few hundred ft and it was fine.
3. Do you happen to have a snippet of the privacy policy and consent? I'm actually very curious.
Old 10-01-2023, 07:41 PM

'23 EQE
2. Mine started doing it again randomly after not having heard it for a very long time. I think it stopped again. Will try the sub-15 trick again, usually it took a few hundred ft and it was fine.
3. Do you happen to have a snippet of the privacy policy and consent? I'm actually very curious.

Very brief excerpt among others about sharing of your information. I would imagine navigating to the service section if the app, interacting with your low tire pressure warning would be a standard tracked and identifiable telemetry scenario that can be used as a data point.

Old 03-22-2024, 08:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
EQE 350 SUV 4Matic
Previously all-BMW owner and most recently a 530e + Kia Niro EV for errands, so well acquainted with EV life.

Issues:
1. High wind noise at 75MPH+, much louder than I would expect from this car. Worth checking out?
2. Why the heck are the wipers so strongly pressed against the windshield? Effective but there's so much force it squeaks loudly and almost struggles to wipe. Also the lowest-sensor setting is still way too fast.
3. The headrest plastic casing on the backside of the passenger side is not assembled correctly and rattles horribly, will take this in to fix.
4. The bluetooth mic quality is abysmal, will need to have this serviced and checked, it's almost impossible to understand on the receiving end and there's static.
5. The 360 camera has failed to start up from park twice. This is a software issue and can be immediately resolved by holding down the power button on the screen for ~5 seconds for a soft reset.
6. The DAS has failed once at ignition, with cruise, lane-keep and front collision detection all throwing warnings, powering on/off did not resolve. Self-fixed the next day.
7. The rear camera unfolds itself when coming to a stop (stop sign/red light, etc.) for no reason every other day. I've found other similar posts pointing to "calibration" but there's absolutely no need or reason for this to happen so consistently.
8. The lack of speed-variable volume settings for media. Combined with the wind noise on freeway, I have to consistently manually increase volume at high speeds, then lower. Very basic feature.
9. Cannot activate active lane-keep unless in cruise mode. This is against convention of all other DAS-enabled cars I've driven.
10. The rear middle seat is like a torture chair. The firm hump from the cupholder/armrest causes immediate back pain for me.
11. Poor ventilated seating performance. Loud and low airflow, without AC-powered cooling. Does nothing to help cool you down when the cabin is hot.
12. Cumbersome to switch between the various driver displays, you can assign a shortcut to the back button but would prefer the ability to quickly cycle between favourites
13. No rear sunshades or handlebars?

Pros:
1. Impressive ride and build quality other than specific issues above. Decent handling although would prefer more responsive/stiffer pedals.
2. I like the look and design of both exterior and interior, LED lighting, generous trunk space and rear legroom.
3. MBUX is very responsive and Android Auto integration is great. Still iffy on the touch-heavy controls though. Loved the BMW iDrive.
4. DAS lane keep is very good, may be the best I've ever used. Although in slow stop-and-go situations, the acceleration and deceleration are jerkier than other offerings and not very comfortable.
5. Very good Electrify America free charging offer and ~100+ KWH charging speed is great.
6. Rear-axle steering is a game changer. The turning radius and ease of parking is unbelievable. I thought this would be a gimmick but it's not.
7. Great panoramic moonroof.

Overall, I am enjoying the car. The local dealer was blowing these out so it's a great deal as well. I would recommend with the expectation that some of my complains can and will be addressed at some point.

Oh, and would not recommend the gray interior. The light color fabric is EVERYWHERE on every surface and gets dirty with the lightest touch.

Month 3 Update:
I have not gone to the dealer to address any of the previous mentioned issues yet. There was OTA MBUX update, couldn't not see any functional changes, hopefully it's more stable.
1. The upper back ventilation on my driver side stopped working. Absolutely no air comes out of it, but the bottom seat still does. I compared this to the passenger seat. Although the airflow is so subtle, I'm beginning to question if it ever worked.

oh my, the wipers are one of my biggest complaints…yeh, really? Can we adjust the pressure??? Tried EVERYTHING!!…acetone!! New blades! HORRIBLE WIPE..THEY STRUGGLE TO WIPE SMOOTHLY….HEELP!!!
Old 03-22-2024, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
If you use Google voice assistant, it's listening to you. You don't have to physically search anything.