EQE (V295) Sedan Upcoming

Charging network

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2024, 11:54 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
ML 350, EQE Sedan
Originally Posted by Crito
Superchargers already support the CCS protocol for 2020 and newer Teslas. The only reason for a delay is overpaid executives playing petty politics. Somewhat ironically though, people with older Teslas probably won't be able to use third-party NACS chargers like at Electrify America. Really glad I didn't buy that used 2019 Model X!
Just to clarify, Tesla updated its charging protocol to come up with NACS. Older Telsas (and older chargers) do not support NACS. I think the Tesla chargers need to be at least third generation to support NACS.
Old 04-15-2024, 12:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2022 E350 4Matic
The 'EV Stations' that MB was showing on the commercials this past weekend during The Masters shows they are 'all in', but not holding my breath.
Old 04-15-2024, 12:10 PM

ML 350, EQE Sedan
There are a lot of otherwise useless beaurocrats involved so the standard is complicated and convoluted but at least we have an easy-to-remember name for it: ISO 15118
Please cut the useless insults. Getting this kind of thing to work is far, far, far harder than you realize. Just because most of the time electronic devices interact without problems does not mean it is easy. Getting agreement on a standard takes years, and getting equipment to properly adhere to the specification and certifying that it adheres correctly is a massive undertaking costing time and money. Homologation is expensive, more so when human lives are at stake. And make no mistake, a 400V charger will kill you slowly and painfully if it does not work correctly. Even a level one or two charger will do the same. You are talking about lethal voltage connections being made by untrained people in rain and snow. It has to be designed carefully and has to work every time. Those "bureaucrats," who are really highly trained and experienced engineers, are the reason you are still alive to complain about them.

Lest anyone question it, yes, I have been the product manager responsible for ensuring a variety of equipment meets applicable standards, including things like UL certifications and other safety standards for electrical equipment. Had I done it wrong, people could die. It is important enough that even improperly labeling equipment results in jail sentences in many countries.
The following 2 users liked this post by ehildum:
HBerman (04-17-2024), stc1996 (04-15-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 392 Likes on 268 Posts
2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
Originally Posted by ehildum
Please cut the useless insults.
They're quite useful insults. I, like many people, find it incredulous that something as simple as pouring fuel into a vehcile can be made so incredibly complicated and convoluted. The problem with EVs isn't the technology. They problem is the people who have been put in charge of it. Don't try and make me the bad guy for pointing out that our Secretary of Transportation knows absolutely nothing about transportation and was put into that position solely for libtard political reasons.
Old 04-15-2024, 01:24 PM

ML 350, EQE Sedan
They're quite useful insults. I, like many people, find it incredulous that something as simple as pouring fuel into a vehcile can be made so incredibly complicated and convoluted. The problem with EVs isn't the technology. They problem is the people who have been put in charge of it. Don't try and make me the bad guy for pointing out that our Secretary of Transportation knows absolutely nothing about transportation and was put into that position solely for libtard political reasons.
What makes you think it is simple? Have you really thought about everything that goes into making a safe refueling experience that does not also cause problems with air pollution due to vapor and ground water contamination due to spills? Gasoline is a hazardous material that you do not want spilling on you nor should you be inhaling gasoline vapors. It is less dangerous to use it as a fuel now that lead has been eliminated, but it is still a dangerous substance in many ways. Keep in mind that most gas stations have multiple fuel options that you do not want people to accidentally mix up. Diesel fuel will cause a lot of damage to a gas engine.

You really seem to be quite oblivious to the work that has gone in to make things "simple" and safe for you.
The following users liked this post:
HBerman (04-17-2024)