EQE (V295) Sedan Upcoming

Charging network

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2023, 12:20 AM

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
350 GLE 4matic
Charging network

Can Benz electric vehicles use teslas charging network now?
Old 12-30-2023, 12:27 AM

Received 213 Likes on 148 Posts
2023 EQE350 4MATIC, 2023 EQE 350 4MATIC SUV, 1995 E300 Diesel
No official word yet. I suspect it'll be a few months.
Old 01-02-2024, 12:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
glk
Bought EQE on strength of Mercedes announcement that we'd have access to 12000 tesla superchargers. Believed that meant 12000 LOCATIONS. Now suspecting it is 1000 locations, figuring 12 chargers per location.

Local dealer has no info.

My highway trips are all under 250 miles round trip, so not a real issue at moment, but tesla is everywhere and I'd be a lot more comfortable on a long trip with access to them right off interstate highway or in stops on Florida Turnpike like tesla has.

Old 01-02-2024, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 570 Likes on 388 Posts
2024 AMG EQE SUV , 2021 E63S Wagon - gone, 2018 E63S Sedan - gone
Originally Posted by fjstuden
Bought EQE on strength of Mercedes announcement that we'd have access to 12000 tesla superchargers. Believed that meant 12000 LOCATIONS. Now suspecting it is 1000 locations, figuring 12 chargers per location.

Local dealer has no info.

My highway trips are all under 250 miles round trip, so not a real issue at moment, but tesla is everywhere and I'd be a lot more comfortable on a long trip with access to them right off interstate highway or in stops on Florida Turnpike like tesla has.
You'll have to wait a couple of more months. Tesla has to enable the superchargers to connect to a non-Tesla vehicle (ongoing AFAIK). Additionally, you will need an adapter to connect to the Tesla cable to the Mercedes connector, which is not available yet (but soon!). There are more and more ChargePoint and Electrify America chargers as the days go by. You can locate those via the route navigation (or on the ME app).
Old 01-03-2024, 10:30 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
EQE SUV - 350 4Matic
Tesla announced that Ford and GM will be first to get access to the super charger network in February since they were the first to commit. They didn't give timing for the remaining suppliers but suggested that they would get access in the order of their commitment. I believe Mercedes was the 6th manufacturer to commit to using NACS, so hopefully it won't be too much longer.
The following users liked this post:
Bcoppola91 (01-06-2024)
Old 01-08-2024, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 380 Likes on 258 Posts
2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
Superchargers already support the CCS protocol for 2020 and newer Teslas. The only reason for a delay is overpaid executives playing petty politics. Somewhat ironically though, people with older Teslas probably won't be able to use third-party NACS chargers like at Electrify America. Really glad I didn't buy that used 2019 Model X!
Old 01-09-2024, 04:51 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
EQE 350 4matic
This is gonna take long than just 2-3 months. Although superchargers use CCS protocol billing with most supercharging sessions were done in-car, while with every other automaker it is done on charging dispenser side.

Tesla Magic dock stations have per dispenser billing compute modules until enough superchargers get this and Tesla opens access, rest of CCS crowd would have to wait around

Another item to note is Ford is integrating Supercharger access with ford pass and GM with Onstar. When Mercedes gets it look forward to pay $80/year (free for 2 years when buying new vehicle) just to have option to use Tesla superchargers.
Old 03-02-2024, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eqe350+
Ford now on Tesla superchargers

Saw note on this Friday. A friend has Ford app and a LOT of Tesla superchargers show up now, stating that adapter required, as you would think. Ford is GIVING away adapters for a few months. Supposed to be plug and charge. Must have RFID tags in adapter. Very encouraging, hope Mercedes is online soon.
Old 03-02-2024, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There's no RFID tag in the adapter, just temperature sensors to make sure it doesn't get too hot.
bytemaster0 (03-02-2024)
Old 03-02-2024, 10:22 PM

We charged at a Tesla station with magic dock in Beaver Dam KY today. Uneventful, though I didn't even try to park the right way. Parked 90° next to the outermost stall. Oddly, they do have ChargePoint Express units right next to it, but only 62kW. Will be happy to get an adapter for NACS from MB, but EA coverage has been great so far, and NEVI stations are starting to pop up everywhere. We even saw the MB charge units at Buc-ees in Richmond KY, they should be done soon, looked awesome!
Old 03-03-2024, 09:42 AM

eqe350+
RFID

How does plug and charge work for Ford if no RFID. Must have it someplace like Tesla does for the charger to know who is there. or is it sent over the comm wires on the cable ? I really don't know.
Old 03-03-2024, 11:27 AM

Public key certificate authentication via communication wires.
Crito (03-03-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There are a lot of otherwise useless beaurocrats involved so the standard is complicated and convoluted but at least we have an easy-to-remember name for it: ISO 15118
bytemaster0 (03-03-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 02:17 PM

eqe350+
tesla supercharger

Got this off a friend's Ford app. Going to be game changer for me when it opens to Mercedes.
Old 03-03-2024, 02:21 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
EQE 350 4matic
Tesla supercharger support is coming later this yes for Mercedes Me charge. Looks like we might need to go in for service visit for update the car.

I’ve been asking Mercedes calling into Mercedes EQ customer care, asking my dealership and making noise on twitter asking for update to our browser(OS by extension) to support Video DRM (for Netflix) and Xbox cloud gaming support with Vivaldi app.

this is the time we need to make more noise else we would not see any more updates to the vehicle.
skate0518 (03-04-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 03:04 PM

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
EQE SUV 500 4Matic
Has anybody heard whether Tesla super charger access will be available to MB owners in Europe at some point? I do not think our overall charger availability situation here in Europe is as bad as in the US --- nevertheless, I look forward to increased options!
Old 03-11-2024, 01:56 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
ML 350, EQE Sedan
Originally Posted by Mcfancy14
Can Benz electric vehicles use teslas charging network now?
Tesla is converting their chargers to the published NACS standard, which is backwards compatible with their vehicles.

Mercedes is converting to NCAS, but all current models as far as I am aware in the US use CCS ports. You will need at a minimum a NCAS to CCS adaptor, similar to what Ford supplies for their existing portfolio for your vehicle, and Tesla will need to update their network to allow Mercedes vehicles to charge. Since Tesla chargers do not have an onsite payment option (no credit card reader) you will not be able to use them until this network update is complete. You likely will only be able to use the latest model Tesla chargers as well, as not every Tesla charger is NCAS yet.
Old 04-11-2024, 10:12 AM

glk
Tesla appears to be open

My Telsa app now shows superchargers for my registered EQE! I picked one nearby, it said I need adapter, and select stall # !

My dealer has the adapter he ordered from 3 mo ago, so going to try a charge tonight when I pick it up.

He said we should get an OTA update real soon to show Tesla superchargers on GPS. You still have to use the Tesla app, true plug and charge a few months away.

If this works, I'm going on highway trip outside my 250 mile comfort zone.

Old 04-11-2024, 10:20 AM

glk
False Alarm

Tried again and all those superchargers disappeared. Maybe they still testing ...... one day .........
Old 04-11-2024, 11:43 AM

ML 350, EQE Sedan
My Telsa app now shows superchargers for my registered EQE! I picked one nearby, it said I need adapter, and select stall # !

My dealer has the adapter he ordered from 3 mo ago, so going to try a charge tonight when I pick it up.

He said we should get an OTA update real soon to show Tesla superchargers on GPS. You still have to use the Tesla app, true plug and charge a few months away.

What is the Mercedes part number on that adaptor?
Old 04-11-2024, 08:20 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
EQE SUV - 350 4Matic

I am curious as to how you registered your EQE in the app? I tried, but I only see the EQS and EQC listed. No EQE in the list. I selected EQS for now just so I can play with the app, but I would like to fix it if possible.
Old 04-12-2024, 04:19 AM

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
EQE SUV 500 4Matic
I know this discussion is mostly North America-based, but have been following it with interest.
I downloaded the Tesla SuperCharger app (Europe) to my iPhone today just to have a look.
I can locate Tesla SuperCharger stations with the app in my phone, but there seems to be nowhere I can configure my make/model of car. Maybe it's irrelevant in Europe? I will just have to stop at one someday to see for myself.
What I find interesting is that the local App has two upgrade-to-premium options. One for about $40/yr. and one for about $180/year. It does not explain in the app the difference between these two subscription levels. Both claim to remove all ads and send directions to your Tesla.
Old 04-12-2024, 01:30 PM

glk
eqe on tesla

Yes, eqe not there, I used eqs. told tesla about it, so maybe they will fix. I'm not sure it matters, as I THINK, that info is only to let the app know what chargers to display, depending on make, e.g. Ford or others.

I figured out what happened. I had added Ford Lightening as one of my cars, a few month back, to see if Tesla app would show chargers. I hadn't looked at it since Ford was turned on.

What I saw 2 days ago was that. When I removed the Ford, the stations disappeared. as only my eqs was there. Tesla App doesn't ask for VIN, just make and model.

Since there is no plug and charge for Ford (since the app asked for a stall number) it MIGHT just try to charge a Mercedes if you plugged in. As I understand, the car tells charger to turn on, adjust voltage, current etc.

In fact, the Tesla app, apparently knows nothing, other than if you have a Ford. I entered a Lightning and a Mustang and app for my cars and it never asked what car I wanted to charge, even though different battery types. If charger doesn't care, then POSSIBLY, you can tell app you have Ford EV, then plug in any 400V battery EV.

I'm not going to try.... I bet Mercedes records every supercharger operation with time, location, etc. Any damage from this would be in the logs in the car.

ScottC2 (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 01:56 PM

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
EQE 500
Yes, eqe not there, I used eqs. told tesla about it, so maybe they will fix. I'm not sure it matters, as I THINK, that info is only to let the app know what chargers to display, depending on make, e.g. Ford or others.

I figured out what happened. I had added Ford Lightening as one of my cars, a few month back, to see if Tesla app would show chargers. I hadn't looked at it since Ford was turned on.

What I saw 2 days ago was that. When I removed the Ford, the stations disappeared. as only my eqs was there. Tesla App doesn't ask for VIN, just make and model.

Since there is no plug and charge for Ford (since the app asked for a stall number) it MIGHT just try to charge a Mercedes if you plugged in. As I understand, the car tells charger to turn on, adjust voltage, current etc.

In fact, the Tesla app, apparently knows nothing, other than if you have a Ford. I entered a Lightning and a Mustang and app for my cars and it never asked what car I wanted to charge, even though different battery types. If charger doesn't care, then POSSIBLY, you can tell app you have Ford EV, then plug in any 400V battery EV.

I'm not going to try.... I bet Mercedes records every supercharger operation with time, location, etc. Any damage from this would be in the logs in the car.
Ford does have plug and charge. The Tesla app is not necessary for Ford owners.

People have already tested Supercharging with unapproved makes and it doesn't work.
Old 04-15-2024, 11:46 AM

ML 350, EQE Sedan
Originally Posted by eqeowner
Saw note on this Friday. A friend has Ford app and a LOT of Tesla superchargers show up now, stating that adapter required, as you would think. Ford is GIVING away adapters for a few months. Supposed to be plug and charge. Must have RFID tags in adapter. Very encouraging, hope Mercedes is online soon.
No RFID on Tesla chargers. The car identifies itself to the charger which then needs to look up the account before starting the charging session. It similar to the way Electrify America charging works (when EA works :-( )

Some of the other charging networks in theory could just use the credit card reader for an anonymous charging session the way gas stations work, but seem to require membership and a registered credit card before you can charge.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Charging network