EQE (V295) Sedan Upcoming

I bought my EQE SUV in the US, Mercesdes Me was activated, now moved abroad..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2024, 05:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 350
I bought my EQE SUV in the US, Mercesdes Me was activated, now moved abroad..

I bought my EQE SUV 6 months ago in the US. Activated Mercedes Me and everything worked fine.
i just moved overseas to Egypt, and decided to bring the car. There is no Mercedes Me support in Egypt, but the car obviously has the equipment for it and it was functional in the US.

is there any way I can get it to work here in Egypt?
Old 07-11-2024, 11:36 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
ML 350, EQE Sedan
I doubt it. The service almost certainly works via a cellular data account, and if they don't have a carrier partner in Egypt, there is no way the car can communicate with the Mercedes Me servers. They certainly are not going to allow the car to roam onto a carrier partner network as the data roaming charges would be astronomical.
Old 07-12-2024, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,823 Likes on 2,555 Posts
2019 C63CS
As said above, no it's not going to work. Mercedes me doesn't roam between geographical regions like a regular cell phone does. Mercedes me for your VIN only works in North America. It won't carry over to Asia, Middle East etc. Mercedes uses so-called M2M service accounts for Mercedes me (machine-to-machine) and they pay only for it to roam within a single region. As opposed to a cell phone, one usually doesn't take their car on a plane when flying to a completely different continent, so the service is not set up to travel with you outside the places you can reasonably drive to from your home region.

Last edited by superswiss; 07-12-2024 at 01:49 AM.
Old 07-12-2024, 04:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 350
Thanks for getting back to me. It’s interesting they would be using M2M SIM cards. That being said, I would have thought that allowing the car to tether through my phone would give it access to connect to MB’s servers.. I mean I’ve even tried tethering it through a vpn and my US line which is roaming over here.

is there anyway to actually override the current eSIM and load a new eSIM onto it?
Old 07-12-2024, 03:27 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
ML 350, EQE Sedan
Originally Posted by riddle930
Thanks for getting back to me. It’s interesting they would be using M2M SIM cards. That being said, I would have thought that allowing the car to tether through my phone would give it access to connect to MB’s servers.. I mean I’ve even tried tethering it through a vpn and my US line which is roaming over here.

is there anyway to actually override the current eSIM and load a new eSIM onto it?
It might be possible to do that, but it would be difficult at best. You would need the information on the current account, and arrange for the eSIM to be updated between the two carriers. However, it is also likely that you would run into problems with network security - MB Servers might not accept a request from a US car coming in from Egypt - that is a pretty sure sign something funny is going on.

It would be easier to experiment if the car had a physical SIM you could swap out, but that means you will need to dig through the car to find the transceiver unit to see what it has. Not going to be the easiest thing to find, frankly as they are very small. Also, there is a risk you could break something important, and you need to remember that you are digging into sealed areas of the car that are sealed because lethally high voltages are present. Remember, electrical cooking is slow, painful, and not the way you want to go.