EQE (V295) Sedan Upcoming

Strong Regeneration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2024 | 10:55 AM

2022 E350 4Matic
Strong Regeneration

Just got the hang on Strong Regeneration/1 pedal driving.

Find that each time I start the vehicle it’s in ‘Normal’. Is there a way to save the regen setting so I don’t need to start I normal?

Reason I ask is because I back out of my garage onto a hill so turn on car, put in drive, flip to strong regen, then back out. Trying to save a few seconds/steps in the AM or when I need to back out.

Old 09-14-2024 | 12:19 PM

2023 EQE350 4MATIC, 2023 EQE 350 4MATIC SUV, 1995 E300 Diesel
There is no way to save the settings. It's due to regulatory requirements in Europe (as I understand it) so the car always performs according to its rated WLTP (or in the US, EPA) range estimates. I put my car in "no recuperation" mode every single time I get in and go to maximize range and get the most out of regen, so I hear your pain, but it's just an automatic reflex for me at this point, I hardly notice it.
The following users liked this post:
stc1996 (09-14-2024)
Old 09-14-2024 | 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 AMG EQE SUV , 2021 E63S Wagon - gone, 2018 E63S Sedan - gone
Originally Posted by bytemaster0
There is no way to save the settings. It's due to regulatory requirements in Europe (as I understand it) so the car always performs according to its rated WLTP (or in the US, EPA) range estimates. I put my car in "no recuperation" mode every single time I get in and go to maximize range and get the most out of regen, so I hear your pain, but it's just an automatic reflex for me at this point, I hardly notice it.
How do you get the most out of regen if it is set to no recuperation? Please explain. Thanks
Old 09-14-2024 | 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by HBerman
How do you get the most out of regen if it is set to no recuperation? Please explain. Thanks
Excellent question, @HBerman . It comes down to two main elements.

1. Physics of regeneration: By and large, coasting is more efficient; at best, the motors will convert 40-60% of your kinetic energy back to the battery during regeneration. The rest is lost as heat. Coasting, on the other hand, is mostly free. There are friction losses and some back-EMF losses from the permanent magnet motors (especially if no disconnect unit, like my sedan), but these are just a few percent compared to heat and inefficiency losses from regeneration. It's better to coast as long as possible, rather than accelerating and regenerating.

2. Braking system: EQE is brake-by-wire. The strategies of brake blending are different in the different recuperation modes. If you go into Vehicle Information section in the main MBUX interface, you can see that there is a "brake" entry percentage bar. This actually is only indicating service (friction) brakes. In Normal and Maximum recuperation modes, as soon as regen starts kicking in, you'll notice an immediate 9-10% service brakes have also applied. This is to give you good brake blending, and a good braking experience. By contrast, if you use "No Recuperation" mode and look at the same screen, service brake percentage is 0% when coasting, and 1% when applying the brake pedal up to about 50% application. Beyond 50% brake application, you'll notice the service brake percentage creep past 1-2%. The brake blending is and feels different. So, that means for "maximum" and "normal" modes, there may be a bit more friction efficiency losses due to the improved brake blending feel and performance. In "no recuperation" mode, you actually end up maximizing the regeneration when you actually use the brake pedal, unless you add a lot of brake input.
QuadBenz (09-17-2024)
Old 09-14-2024 | 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1. Physics of regeneration: By and large, coasting is more efficient; at best, the motors will convert 40-60% of your kinetic energy back to the battery during regeneration. The rest is lost as heat. Coasting, on the other hand, is mostly free. There are friction losses and some back-EMF losses from the permanent magnet motors (especially if no disconnect unit, like my sedan), but these are just a few percent compared to heat and inefficiency losses from regeneration. It's better to coast as long as possible, rather than accelerating and regenerating.

2. Braking system: EQE is brake-by-wire. The strategies of brake blending are different in the different recuperation modes. If you go into Vehicle Information section in the main MBUX interface, you can see that there is a "brake" entry percentage bar. This actually is only indicating service (friction) brakes. In Normal and Maximum recuperation modes, as soon as regen starts kicking in, you'll notice an immediate 9-10% service brakes have also applied. This is to give you good brake blending, and a good braking experience. By contrast, if you use "No Recuperation" mode and look at the same screen, service brake percentage is 0% when coasting, and 1% when applying the brake pedal up to about 50% application. Beyond 50% brake application, you'll notice the service brake percentage creep past 1-2%. The brake blending is and feels different. So, that means for "maximum" and "normal" modes, there may be a bit more friction efficiency losses due to the improved brake blending feel and performance. In "no recuperation" mode, you actually end up maximizing the regeneration when you actually use the brake pedal, unless you add a lot of brake input.
There does not appear to be a "brake entry" bar on my AMG MBUX screen at least not that I can find in Settings. There is a lot of other "useful" information on the AMG Performance screen which shows motor output, temp, acceleration, etc, but not braking.

Last edited by HBerman; 09-14-2024 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-14-2024 | 05:50 PM

EQE350 SUV 4MATIC
@stc1996 You are progressing well on the learning curve. Your next task is to get familiar with Intelligent Recon mode. Like you I start out switching from Normal to Strong until I am on the road. If there is traffic ahead I will use Intelligent which handles coasting, reducing speed and stopping. If there is no traffic then Strong to handle stopping at a traffic light or stop sign. For highway it is mostly DISTRONIC if you have that.
stc1996 (09-14-2024)
Old 09-15-2024 | 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I've been experimenting with the No_Regeneration setting and it totally changes the driving experience for the better! I understand the difference between coasting and regen regarding efficiency as well. I can see the regen start, however when I look at the regen display on the main driver display when I initially apply the brakes. That would imply that the regen only occurs now when the brakes are applied and not when the accelerator is released. Interesting. I'll have to see the effect on the range that I achieve over then next period. Thanks.

Last edited by HBerman; 09-15-2024 at 11:01 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by HBerman:
bytemaster0 (09-15-2024), stc1996 (09-15-2024)
Old 09-18-2024 | 06:44 PM

2024 EQE 350 4Matic
I've been driving all electric, no ICE, for nine years, about 150,000 miles. Two BMW i3 BEV (2014, 2017) and two Tesla Model S (2015, 2018). Before that I owned a variety of cars including MB (4), Porsche (3), and BMW (2). I just swapped the Model S for the EQE 350 4Matic which now has about 2,000 miles.

So I've been one pedal driving for nine years and it's by far my preference so I use the strong regeneration. But MB has made a real mess of regeneration by changing the driving characteristics of the car in each mode. The regeneration setting should only affect what happens when you lift off the pedal, but MB has changed what happens when you depress the pedal as well. The Go pedal requires a different level of pressure in each mode to effect the same movement of the car. That completely screws up the driving experience. It's difficult to delicately move the EQE, as when in a tight parking situation, when it's set to strong, so I end up switching to Normal or None. However, I will experiment with the Auto recuperation to see if that provides a predictable driving experience while maximizing regeneration.

It seems like this thread has an undercurrent of range anxiety.

If you cannot charge at home, then that is understandable as the problem is not getting to the destination, but anxiety about where/when/how soon you have to charge next. And if you are pioneer, living in a state or region with very limited charging facilities it's also an understandable concern.

If you can charge at home, range anxiety is a transitory fear which fades with time. The 350 4Matic is nominally about 280 miles of range. A 125 mile trip, 250 mile round trip day, is entirely feasible. On road trips it's binary, you'll either make one charging stop, or not. There are very few occasions on which you will need to drive more than 450 miles in a day.

My point being that adjusting your preferred driving experience to save energy or micro-managing the energy consumption is probably not something you did with an ICE car, and is not necessary in the EQ.
Old 09-18-2024 | 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No range anxiety with me. I just like the way that the car drives w/o all of the regen braking.
Old 09-18-2024 | 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Boatguy
It seems like this thread has an undercurrent of range anxiety.
Appreciate the thought, but no range anxiety for me either. It's totally non-existent as far as I'm concerned. I do like to eke out small efficiency gains. I did the same for combustion cars as well. EVs make you feel even more in control of things like efficiency, so I enjoy doing it. Do I sometimes forget about it? Sure. But I also find it fun and rewarding to see what the differences are. Agreed about the different "go" pedal feel. I guess I've learned to modulate it over time. It gets a lot easier after your first few thousand miles. Gotta say, I love the system as it is, especially when treating the paddles as pseudo downshifting. Quite fun in addition to what it already does.
HBerman (09-18-2024)