EQE (V295) Sedan Upcoming
View Poll Results: What tires did you start with?
Summer, non runflat
50.00%
Summer, runflat
0%
All Season, non runflat
50.00%
All Season, runflat
0%
I swapped out tires immediately for (add in comments)
0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Tire choices... All-season vs Summer (with separate winter wheels), Extended Mobility

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2024, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 GLS450
Question Tire choices... All-season vs Summer (with separate winter wheels), Extended Mobility

Looking to order a 2025 EQE Sedan this weekend and curious what people went with for tires.

I'm in Boston and typically have a winter set of wheels/tires and swap twice a year...

Last edited by DrDrXanderLi; 09-18-2024 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-18-2024, 07:22 PM

Received 247 Likes on 175 Posts
2023 EQE350 4MATIC, 2023 EQE 350 4MATIC SUV, 1995 E300 Diesel
On sedan, I put Continental ProContact RX. Like them quite a bit, and they're efficient. The stock Pirelli Scorpion Zero Elect were decent on the SUV. Wanted to try Goodyear Electric Drive 2s, but had to go with Conti CrossContact LX Sports due to an urgent tire replacement situation. I'll be fitting Nokian Remedy WRG5s, an highly-rated all-weather tire, to the SUV shortly. I'll report back my findings!
Old 09-18-2024, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 GLS450
Thanks @bytemaster0 !
I saw your other threads as well, so thought you might be able to answer this related question (not to hijack my own thread...)

I had a 2018 Mercedes GLS450 that I just sold, and I’m in the process of ordering the 2025 Mercedes EQE Sedan…
My winter wheel/tire set for the GLS looks like it MIGHT fit onto the new car (with new tires of course), but I need an expert opinion:
Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2s 275/55 R19s on Rial M10X 19x8.5 (ET54mm I think) rims

I’m getting the EQE with 255/40 R20s on 20x9.0 (ET50mm) rims... and was I was planning on getting winter tires for my Rial rims (255/45 or 245/45 R19s Michelin X-Ice or similar)

But, I’m wondering if the ET difference is too much and the rims will be too close to the brakes, if spacers would make sense, or if I should just get a new set of rims along with new tires?
Old 09-18-2024, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by DrDrXanderLi
Thanks @bytemaster0 !
I saw your other threads as well, so thought you might be able to answer this related question (not to hijack my own thread...)

I had a 2018 Mercedes GLS450 that I just sold, and I’m in the process of ordering the 2025 Mercedes EQE Sedan…
My winter wheel/tire set for the GLS looks like it MIGHT fit onto the new car (with new tires of course), but I need an expert opinion:
Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2s 275/55 R19s on Rial M10X 19x8.5 (ET54mm I think) rims

I’m getting the EQE with 255/40 R20s on 20x9.0 (ET50mm) rims... and was I was planning on getting winter tires for my Rial rims (255/45 or 245/45 R19s Michelin X-Ice or similar)

But, I’m wondering if the ET difference is too much and the rims will be too close to the brakes, if spacers would make sense, or if I should just get a new set of rims along with new tires?
Happy to help! Before the EQE SUV, we had a GLE 300d which also had 255/55/R19s. We also had Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2s on the GLE as well. Apparently they would have fit the EQE, but I traded the extra wheelset and the Blizzaks in with the car when I picked up the EQE SUV.

Right now, I'll be treating the WRG5s as winter tires and keeping them on, theoretically, for about 6 months and then going to all seasons. If I were in your shoes, I'd either get a different set of properly-spaced rims or just have a tire shop switch them. I've been in both situations, and as I have a lift, I greatly prefer having a dedicated set of rims, but I do think that small differences in offset can make a difference in efficiency and ride quality. Might be minor, but the car's handling and behaviors are optimized for a particular set of configurations.

Thought about adding Blizzaks again, but the range hit would be too big. They're unbelievable tires in the snow and ice, but I think the WRG5s will do well enough for what we need. We live in Louisville, KY and while we can sometimes get a few feet of snow per year, it's often less. Hoping the all weather compound and tread blocks will do the trick, and I look forward to not panicking when we have occasional winter heat waves that bring the temperatures above 45°. My dad has CrossClimate 2s on his EQE SUV, and they've been fantastic in the cold weather.
The following users liked this post:
DrDrXanderLi (09-18-2024)
Old 09-18-2024, 10:35 PM

Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts
EQE350 SUV 4MATIC
All season tires may be fine depending on your driving needs and ability to stay home if there is heavy snow. That is my situation in Toronto over the first winter with the car. Time will tell if this holds for the next two winters.

My son lives in a snow belt area north of Toronto, drives every day, and says that all season have been fine on his Tesla M3 over the last 5 years. He has never been stranded or had any scary incidents. A dedicated set of winter tires on rims will provide maximum traction. Balanced this against the inconveniences/cost of switching twice a year and the storage of the wheels.
Old 09-19-2024, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by LastOne
All season tires may be fine depending on your driving needs and ability to stay home if there is heavy snow. That is my situation in Toronto over the first winter with the car. Time will tell if this holds for the next two winters.

My son lives in a snow belt area north of Toronto, drives every day, and says that all season have been fine on his Tesla M3 over the last 5 years. He has never been stranded or had any scary incidents. A dedicated set of winter tires on rims will provide maximum traction. Balanced this against the inconveniences/cost of switching twice a year and the storage of the wheels.
Naturally, winter tires like Blizzaks are unbeatable in the right conditions. I've driven winter tires for years on combustion cars, and I've always been happy for it when we do get snow. However, seeing all weather tires becoming more popular lately has me intrigued. My dad's been running CrossClimate 2s in colder weather months, and I'm getting ready to put the WRG5s on our SUV shortly. I know that switching them defeats part of the purpose of all-weather tires, but at the same time, maybe increased winter traction plus lower rolling resistance and the ability to road trip the car anywhere in the winter may be a winning combination.
Old 09-23-2024, 02:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 GLC43C4, 2023 AMGEQEV4
I have 21inch wheels with Pirelli P Zero Winter, 265/35R21 front, 295/30R21 rear. Went through a harsh winter in the midwest last year, no problems.
The following users liked this post:
LastOne (09-23-2024)