EQS SUV Forum for Discussion of EQS SUV

EQS SUV owners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2022, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 402 Likes on 282 Posts
23 EQS 580 SUV, 19 X7 (sold), 17/14 GLS550 (sold) 13 GL550 (sold)
EQS SUV owners

Owners of the EQS SUV can post their impressions here. I'll get it started:

It's just a wonderful vehicle in so many ways. The prefect height to enter and exit (running boards are not needed for adults). The seats are very comfortable and the steering wheel feels great in your hands. The Hyperscreen is a bit overwhelming at first but after 10 days of using it, I'm loving it. The interior lighting is also a delight. The height and location of the center console is just about perfect. I was expecting the wireless phone charger to be difficult to access but once you fold the cup holders, it's very easy to access. The car reminds you to get your phone when you exit (nice touch). The configurability of the instrument panel and HUD is really well done. At first I wasn't sure about the haptic controls on the steering wheel but I've already adapted to the feel (those MB engineers). My wife and I do find ourselves sometimes bumping the haptic buttons in front of the center console storage bin (on the 580 model only). I tried out the 3rd row seats and they're more usable than I was expecting. On the road this car is just magnificent. Instant gobs of power but such a refined accelerator response. And the Intelligent Recuperation is really top notch. It will slow or even stop the car if the car in front of you slows or stops. Strong Recuperation (similar to one-pedal driving) is not for me but available if you're into it.

It's the most enjoyment we've experienced with any new car purchase. I can't wait to see what MB has in store for their entire EQ lineup.
The following users liked this post:
js_cls (10-10-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Come on owners, let us know what you think of your new ride.
Old 10-11-2022, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 926 Likes on 606 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
I don’t think the majority of folks on this forum have their SUV’s yet. We are waiting, waiting, waiting….
Old 10-11-2022, 03:25 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Eqs
Got Mine!

Picked mine up(580) yesterday!
Purchased an etron s two months ago but decided to move on to a better EV
Etron was great but the range was too short, apple car play only worked half the time and could not stand the constant rattle coming from all over the place.
I originally thought about custom ordering but when i found this car that had all the options i wanted(augmented reality hud, nappa leather and acoustic comfort package) I just decided to purchase this one.
it has all other options that i will never use(third row, rear entertainment system, wireless headset etc)
but i figured the ev tax credit will offset the cost and i would be able to get rid of the etron sooner

drove it for about 50 miles so far and the ride quality is not comparable to the etron. Smoother quieter and just feels luxurious in all aspect. Range seems to be much better and carplay gets connected with ease.
i also like the built in dash cam so i dont have to install a third party cam.
so far, very happy and 100 percent sure i will not be looking to sell this car in another few month

The following 2 users liked this post by rhyb618:
dblankenbaker (10-12-2022), js_cls (10-11-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new EQS 580 SUV. It is a beauty! Have you experimented with the different recuperation levels? I prefer the Intelligent Recuperation but this is our first EV so I may spend more time with Strong Recuperation (sort of one pedal driving) in the future. I tested the assisted parking feature today in both perpendicular and parallel parking spots. It works well even though I would rarely if ever use it. I'll bet you love the 10 degree rear-steering.
Old 10-11-2022, 06:11 PM

Eqs
The rear steeling does make a big difference especially when trying to navigate around new york city. As far as recuperation, i prefer to set it to no
cuperation and let the car coast. Whenever we break the car will try to use regenerative break first before using the mechanical break.
if your main goal is to get the most mileage out of each charge then setting the recuperation to zero will be the best option.
Old 10-11-2022, 11:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EQS SUV 450 4matic
I have a silly question. I can’t figure out how to set the lights to turn on when I unlock the car or when doors open. That just happened automatically in my GLS. Any ideas? I went through all the settings in the screen and can’t find any info on it.

Also, do we know if the EQS SUV supports wired Apple Carplay? I can’t find the USB-C socket that has the “phone and tablet” icon for wired CarPlay.
Old 10-12-2022, 07:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by GrapefruitOrang
I can’t figure out how to set the lights to turn on when I unlock the car or when doors open.
The headlights or the interior lights?

Originally Posted by GrapefruitOrang
Also, do we know if the EQS SUV supports wired Apple Carplay? I can’t find the USB-C socket that has the “phone and tablet” icon for wired CarPlay.
Page 383 of the owners manual references using a 'connection cable' so I would say a wired CarPlay connection is supported. Try one of the two USB-C ports in the front center console to the left of the charging pad.

I used wireless CarPlay in our BMW X7 for 3 1/2 years and loved the convenience of it so I was happy MB finally began supporting wireless CarPlay in their EQ models. Just place your phone on the charging pad and start the vehicle. No cables to deal with anymore.
Attached Thumbnails EQS SUV owners-wired-carplay.png  
Old 10-12-2022, 07:11 AM

Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts
No Mercedes yet
Originally Posted by rhyb618
if your main goal is to get the most mileage out of each charge then setting the recuperation to zero will be the best option.
Huh?
Old 10-12-2022, 07:20 AM

Eqs
Originally Posted by finlayson
Huh?
yes
Coasting > recuperation in terms of efficiency
Old 10-12-2022, 08:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yes
Coasting > recuperation in terms of efficiency
Using no recuperation would result in less range (less efficiency).

Owners manual, page 201:

Depending on the selected recuperation level, the electric motors will be operated as an alternator when in overrun mode and during braking in order to charge the high-voltage battery during driving.
Old 10-12-2022, 08:58 AM

Eqs
Originally Posted by JoeMa
Using no recuperation would result in less range (less efficiency).

Owners manual, page 201:

Depending on the selected recuperation level, the electric motors will be operated as an alternator when in overrun mode and during braking in order to charge the high-voltage battery during driving.
the recuperation will charge the battery but not at the rate of energy spent from braking. there will always be energy lost during recuperation, meaning not all 100 percent of the energy captured with recuperation will turn over to the battery.
try coasting 20 miles with no recuperation and then another 20 miles with recuperation.
coasting will be much more efficient
Old 10-12-2022, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 926 Likes on 606 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
I do not know if this applies to MB but read a article a few months back that said even under the best of circumstances recuperation will only replenish at 4-5% of battery usage. I assume it would be a lot better if driving down hill all the time. 😊
Old 10-12-2022, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Intelligent recuperation is activated only when the car needs to brake. The car will coast when breaking is not needed. We drain the battery to move the car, make sense to recuperate that energy when needing to slow the car. Only using the brakes could never be as efficient as recuperation even if only a small amount of energy is regained.
Old 10-12-2022, 12:18 PM

No Mercedes yet
Intelligent recuperation is activated only when the car needs to brake. The car will coast when breaking is not needed. We drain the battery to move the car, make sense to recuperate that energy when needing to slow the car. Only using the brakes could never be as efficient as recuperation even if only a small amount of energy is regained.
Yes, this is the key point: Is the recuperation necessary. I.e., does it replace what would otherwise be necessary braking? "Intelligent recuperation" (especially when used with adaptive cruise control) would seem to be the best mode to use. (I don't know personally, as I haven't received my own EQS SUV yet :-)
Old 10-12-2022, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by finlayson
Yes, this is the key point: Is the recuperation necessary. I.e., does it replace what would otherwise be necessary braking? "Intelligent recuperation" (especially when used with adaptive cruise control) would seem to be the best mode to use. (I don't know personally, as I haven't received my own EQS SUV yet :-)
Exactly! Seems logical to me as well, otherwise, why did the MB engineers spend so much time creating recuperation modes? Your comment about "especially when used with adaptive cruise control" is interesting. The Intelligent Recuperation mode performs exactly like adaptive cruise even when you are not using cruise. It will slow the car when a car in front of you slows or stops. It engages when you coast down a hill or approach a turn in the road (it uses the Nav system to know where the turns are). It is quite impressive and very easy to adapt. One of the reviewers out of Colorado the other week commented that he picked up a few miles of range after traveling down the mountain. This is exactly why recuperation is available. Of course you can turn it off and coast like an ICE vehicle, but you will be using and wearing on the brake pads to dissipate energy that you could otherwise recapture in some degree.

Admittedly, I'm new to EV's but I have two friends who bought Tesla's several years ago and they have real-world driving experience. They both use one-pedal driving to recuperate as much energy as possible.
Old 10-12-2022, 01:38 PM

Eqs
Exactly! Seems logical to me as well, otherwise, why did the MB engineers spend so much time creating recuperation modes? Your comment about "especially when used with adaptive cruise control" is interesting. The Intelligent Recuperation mode performs exactly like adaptive cruise even when you are not using cruise. It will slow the car when a car in front of you slows or stops. It engages when you coast down a hill or approach a turn in the road (it uses the Nav system to know where the turns are). It is quite impressive and very easy to adapt. One of the reviewers out of Colorado the other week commented that he picked up a few miles of range after traveling down the mountain. This is exactly why recuperation is available. Of course you can turn it off and coast like an ICE vehicle, but you will be using and wearing on the brake pads to dissipate energy that you could otherwise recapture in some degree.

Admittedly, I'm new to EV's but I have two friends who bought Tesla's several years ago and they have real-world driving experience. They both use one-pedal driving to recuperate as much energy as possible.
stepping on the brake pedal while coasting does not mean you will be using the brake pads. When you press on the brake pedal it will use the regenerative
break to slow down.
whether you turn the recuperation on or off the mechanical brake will engage if you press on the brake pedal hard enough
Old 10-12-2022, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

stepping on the brake pedal while coasting does not mean you will be using the brake pads. When you press on the brake pedal it will use the regenerative
break to slow down.
whether you turn the recuperation on or off the mechanical brake will engage if you press on the brake pedal hard enough
You may be correct but where in the owners manual did you read 'No recuperation' mode still recuperates energy when you press the brake pedal?
Old 10-12-2022, 02:17 PM

EQS SUV 450 4matic
The headlights or the interior lights?

Page 383 of the owners manual references using a 'connection cable' so I would say a wired CarPlay connection is supported. Try one of the two USB-C ports in the front center console to the left of the charging pad.

I used wireless CarPlay in our BMW X7 for 3 1/2 years and loved the convenience of it so I was happy MB finally began supporting wireless CarPlay in their EQ models. Just place your phone on the charging pad and start the vehicle. No cables to deal with anymore.
Interior lights doesn't turn on when opening car door even if I have the light "delay" setting on. I'm still working out the kinks of Wireless CarPlay. I honestly prefer wired since that ALWAYS works, but oh well.
Old 10-12-2022, 03:16 PM

Eqs
You may be correct but where in the owners manual did you read 'No recuperation' mode still recuperates energy when you press the brake pedal?
I have not read the manual yet
But when you press the brake you can see the % charge meter going up on the right side or the dash.
i think all ev’s are designed to use the regenerative brake before they start using the mechanical brakes
Old 10-12-2022, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have not read the manual yet
But when you press the brake you can see the % charge meter going up on the right side or the dash.
i think all ev’s are designed to use the regenerative brake before they start using the mechanical brakes
I tested ‘No recuperation’ this afternoon and you are correct. When I press the brake it was recuperating energy. Sort of odd that they named it this way. It implies no recuperation, but there actually is some going on.

I prefer intelligent recuperation as it handles the braking in stop and go traffic and allows the car to coast. Give it a try sometime.
Old 10-12-2022, 07:15 PM

No Mercedes yet
The Intelligent Recuperation mode performs exactly like adaptive cruise even when you are not using cruise.
Interesting - I didn't realize that. (As I noted above, I don't have my EQS yet :-)
Old 10-12-2022, 10:26 PM

MB EQS SUV 580
Hi everyone,
Just replaced 2022 MX with EQS SUV 580.
Impressions are only positive so far, so big difference in driving.
Definitely gonna miss some Tesla features like autohold, doors closing, recoup till stop but belive the comfort and quality will cover everything.

More thoughts later
The following users liked this post:
QuadBenz (10-13-2022)
Old 10-13-2022, 06:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ivan Neprin
Hi everyone,
Just replaced 2022 MX with EQS SUV 580.
Impressions are only positive so far, so big difference in driving.
Definitely gonna miss some Tesla features like autohold, doors closing, recoup till stop but belive the comfort and quality will cover everything.

More thoughts later
If autohold holds the car at a stop, your EQS SUV does this as well. After you come to a complete stop, press the brake pedal a little further to engage HOLD (you'll see it appear on the instrument panel). And set your car to Intelligent Recuperation. It's really impressive.
Old 10-13-2022, 06:13 AM

MB EQS SUV 580
If autohold holds the car at a stop, your EQS SUV does this as well. After you come to a complete stop, press the brake pedal a little further to engage HOLD (you'll see it appear on the instrument panel). And set your car to Intelligent Recuperation. It's really impressive.
Yep, it does work this way but not really Auto hold 😊

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EQS SUV owners