EQS SUV Forum for Discussion of EQS SUV

3200 miles in six weeks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2022, 11:22 AM

Received 261 Likes on 154 Posts
EQS 450 4Matic SUV
3200 miles in six weeks

Other forum members have given informative first impression reviews of their EQS SUVs and I will try not to be repetitive here.

I love driving the EQS SUV so much that I seem to be making any excuse to take a trip. After 3200 miles I am averaging 2.4 mpkWh with an average speed of 32 mph. I believe the 32 mph number is lower than actual as I have spent several hours in the parked car exploring features. I am somewhat disappointed in the 2.4 mpkWh since I was getting 3.1 in the Taycan CT. The difference is most likely due to the 1000 pounds in extra weight and increased frontal area of the EQS. On a positive note, the EQS SUV is a lot less stressful to take on the road since DC charging works with no drama. With the Taycan a phone call to EA with long hold times was often required to get charging to start. I do still have to deal with the high percentage of out-of-service chargers at EA, but at least I do not have to spend a half hour on the phone with EA support.

I normally use Intelligent Recuperation (after remembering to activate it). I find myself stopping a little further away from the car in front of me so as not to activate the "HOLD" feature when the "READY" light comes on after the full stop. I prefer this approach since resuming driving starts out more smoothly, when "HOLD" does not have to be overcome.

Here are a few things on my software upgrade wish list:

1) MBUX allows you to specify a desired SoC at your destination. For away-from-home destinations I like this to be around 50% so that I can make some local trips around the destination without immediately requiring a charge. But when my destination is set to HOME on the return trip, I am okay arriving with an SoC of 10%. If you forget to lower the setting when returning home, you will be routed to DC chargers even though you know that there is sufficient charge to make it home. If you skip the recommended charger, then MBUX will route to the next available charger to "help" you reach the specified SoC at your HOME destination. This can increase the length of the return trip since none of the suggested chargers will be exactly on the shortest route home. The enhancement I would like to see is the option to set a lower SoC when the destination is HOME.

2) The amenities at various charging stops vary widely. In general I prefer charging at a Sheetz gas station over a Walmart parking lot. The restrooms are closer, windshield squeegees are available, and they are usually not as far off the route. I would like to be able to designate a charging station as preferred or alternatively as one to avoid based upon previous experience with chargers on a particular route.

3) Planning a trip from the car GPS is not as easy as planning one from PlugShare or Google Maps, but it should be. I would like to be able to designate the expected SoC at the start of the trip rather than use the current SoC when planning the trip a day or two prior to the actual travel day. Not being able to specify a starting SoC means that an early charging stop will be added to a trip based upon the current SoC. Then the additional recommended stops will be out of "phase" with what actually makes sense when starting out with 100% SoC. Another feature I would like to see is alternative routes being suggested when planning a trip. PlugShare and Google Maps almost always suggest two or three alternative routes rather than just the shortest route.

I had originally planned to order an EQE SUV, but with the new EV tax credit eligibility rules I rationalized getting an EQS SUV off the dealer lot. The EQS SUV is the third EV I have owned since 2020. The obscene trade-in values made it easy to change EVs in the last couple of years. The current collapse of used car prices (at least in the NE) is probably going to mean holding onto the EQS SUV until the MMA and MB.EA architectures are launched.

The following 3 users liked this post by LAZARU5:
bpans (12-12-2022), js_cls (12-12-2022), ScottC2 (12-12-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 03:02 PM

Received 100 Likes on 75 Posts
EQE SUV 500 4Matic
Some really good software ideas, fgwinn!
Old 12-12-2022, 05:31 PM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Originally Posted by ScottC2
Some really good software ideas, fgwinn!
I hope some MB employees review the forum. I wouldn't even care if they presented the suggestions as their own ideas if that would help to get them implemented. I gave up sending ideas directly to MB many years ago. I don't remember the details of what I suggested, but I got a letter back basically saying don't send us any ideas unless you have them patented because if your idea is any good we probably already have it on the drawing board.
Old 12-12-2022, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 926 Likes on 606 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
My 12 years of MB ownership plus many years experience on MB forums leads me to believe that they very rarely listen to consumer comments or to the focus groups they form for comments. If they did listen we would still have spare tires in our cars….😊

Last edited by Utopia Texas; 12-12-2022 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-14-2022, 02:41 AM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
Nice review. It seems like you use L3 charging regularly. Any concerns about how that affects the battery long term?
Old 12-15-2022, 07:37 AM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Originally Posted by abhansali
Nice review. It seems like you use L3 charging regularly. Any concerns about how that affects the battery long term?
Not really. We don't rely entirely on ≥ 150 kW chargers. There are plenty of hotel destination chargers, free Volta shopping center chargers, and 50 kW ChargePoint chargers in the mix.