EQS SUV Forum for Discussion of EQS SUV

6000 mile tire rotation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2023, 07:04 PM

Received 255 Likes on 150 Posts
EQS 450 4Matic SUV
6000 mile tire rotation

I did the 6000 mile tire rotation today in preparation for my next trip. I used two 2-ton floor jacks to raise one side at a time and rotated the tires front to back. I inspected the tires and removed a few stones lodged in the treads. I noticed a nail shaft in one tire. It was ground down from the pavement and I contemplated remounting the tire and driving to a tire shop since I am now a one-car family and don't have a way to transport a flat tire to the shop. The nail was in the middle of the tire far from the sidewalls and it was lodged in at a steep angle. I decided to pull out the nail and was relieved to find it was only the 1/2" long tip of a nail and did not puncture the tire.

The 21" wheel/tire combination weighs in at 86 pounds. It's not hard to dismount the tires, but even with a wheel hanger I struggled to remount the wheels.

Close call. Barely avoided flat tire.
Old 01-31-2023, 07:17 PM

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
GLK350
I use to rotate my own tires but I also found remounting them was getting too heavy for me at 75 so now I go to the tire shop to have it done. Glad you avoided the flat.
The following users liked this post:
stewartmmorris (02-01-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 09:49 PM

Received 255 Likes on 150 Posts
EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Originally Posted by tbirdvet
I use to rotate my own tires but I also found remounting them was getting too heavy for me at 75 so now I go to the tire shop to have it done. Glad you avoided the flat.
Do you think the tire shop would take the time to roll the tires across the floor to inspect them? I doubt it unless the tire was already flat. Like you, I am probably too old to continue rotating tires. But, I really don't look forward to going to the service shops and dealing with the condescending Millennials who don't think old Mercedes owners know anything.
Old 06-14-2024, 09:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 GLS 550 - 2023 S580
Once my Hancook's runflats wear down more I will be replacing them with the Michelin All season's. I did buy a temporary spare for the trunk just in case. I don't travel much with it so I still have a decent amount of room in the trunk believe it or not.