EQS SUV Forum for Discussion of EQS SUV

How is EQS SUV holding?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2023, 08:41 PM

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts
21GT634DR, 17C63s, 08GL450
How is EQS SUV holding?

All, was trying to get G wagon and that thing is still way way over MSRP. The dealer showed me EQS SUV, was not even looking and said they have many and would discount it deep. Doesn't make sense to change my mind from G63 to EQS but Can't pay over MSRP for G63. So now an idea which was remotely not possible for me is on the dock. Why are there so many sitting on dealer lots and are they any good? The ride I took in was comfortable and technology was great. But it's golf cart and that may be fine as a practical car. But are there any major issues that I need to worry. Sorry not much time for EOY tax deductions and finding vehicles to close quickly without proper research. I have 3 other MB and want to stay with brand if possible. Next possible avenue is GLS if EQS SUV is a no go.
Old 12-01-2023, 10:50 AM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
EQS 450 4maric
I think you'll find most folks here LOVE their EQS. Great ride, comfort and technology. Of course all opinions are just that. Opinions.

I've had my 450 4matic right at a year, and I would dare say it has been one of my favorite vehicles (Unless you count my Tundra!, but thats a different animal). Here is my opinion after a year of ownership:

Great town car and day trip car. While the range is decent (I am averaging 325-340 around town). I am hesitant to take it on long road trips. Its doable with proper planning, but support infrastructure is just not there. (Forget about leaving the Interstate).
I have started using it regularly to visit relatives, 150 miles away, and it proves out to be a great road trip ride. There is 1 charging station 40 miles from destination which works out well with a 15-20 minutes charge stop each way. Enough to get me there, run around town and get me back home. Although I did have a small fright last trip. Got an error when plugging in and would not charge. tried 3 plugs before it worked. Must have been the "pump". Had same issue on return trip with same "pump". Fortunately there were 3 other boxes that worked.

PROS

- Build quality seems very luxurious. Leather and suppleness throughout

- Ride comfort and quietness a step up from other competitors. It IS an S class and you can feel it

- Very comfortable seats. Well cushioned. Full massage with many massage options as well as seat kinetics; for both driver and passenger AND the rapid heat seat option works really well!

- The EQS feels big and will take a third row of seats which is not an option on similar sized vehicles

- Doors. I have never been a big fan of glass directly against the body panel doors. Feels flimsy and cheap. I like the heavy framed doors of the EQS. They are heavy and solid.

- I like that the EQS does NOT have soft close doors. Have had those repaired twice on my bmw in 3 years. A $1200 fix if no warranty

- The voice recognition and control work (so far) better than any vehicle I have had to date.

- EQS has a nice selection of Wheel options.

- I really like the rear wheel steering of the EQS (10 degrees). Amazing turn radius.

- I am getting much better range than published (At least math wise). I have left it unplugged for a week now and still plenty of battery. Based on the consumption and remaining battery indicator, the math works out to 350+ miles on a charge. (Rated at 285 - EQS 450 4matic). I'll let you know if this holds true.
UPDATE - After leaving it unplugged for 2 weeks, I charged when it reached 40%. The car came up with the same math I did. It is showing 355 miles at 100% charge. Not bad.

- EQS Light shows (interior and exterior) are amazing

CONS

- Not a big fan of the fake motor sound effects. And some sounds on the EQS are just bizarre. Like the metal on metal grinding sound when you are idling or taking off. It goes away at 30 mph, but just a strange sound. I thought something was wrong at first

Update edit - after further reading this seems to be the sound generator for pedestrians. Just a weird slightly irritating sound I wish could be turned off on the inside.

- Controls and interface. EQS is mostly all touch screens and sliders. I would like to see a few physical buttons. Like a steering wheel heater button ON the steering wheel, massage button. Radio volume knob. Regarding the steering wheel heat - there is NO button or slider. Only way to activate is with the seats or via voice control.

- One thing I find amusing is the back up up Beeping. I forget and keep thinking there is a delivery truck around me somewhere.....

- There is no external “indicator” That your blinker is on. I’m used to an led or indicator in the mirror to let me know it’s flashing. There is no audible “Tik Tik” (that I can hear anyway). Only way I know it’s working is to look down at the driver display. I would rather see it in/on the mirror when looking to change lanes.

- EQS was not warning me of cross traffic when backing up. Found the setting to turn that on and works now, Just weird it’s a separate setting you have to activate separate from the other safety and parking aides.

- Another quirk that I can’t seem to adjust, is the collision warning that beeps when I am standing still waiting to pull out and another vehicle makes the right hand turn into the street/lot I am sitting on.

- The piano black trim, while beautiful, is a nightmare to keep clean and free of scratches. It shows every smudge and dust particle. I would recommend another trim if you have the option:

- Now there are a couple of things that have happened that are a little concerning: Have only happened once so far.
A. Late afternoon the car suddenly slammed on its brakes in the middle of the road to keep me from "crashing into" a shadow that was crossing the road.
B. Pushed the start button and the only thing on the dashboard was a message "Critical Malfunction". Had to turn off the car and open/close the door to get it to reset and start. Update - this has happened twice now.

- Biggest complaint? - No cornering lights (That I can figure out anyway). Certainly not worth a "STRIKE" against the vehicle.

- I was disappointed my HUD did not come with the augmented reality. Something I did not know when shopping. There are two different options for the HUD. One with and one without AR. Apparently you can only get AR on the 580 with hyper screen.

- Regarding the HUD - even though mine does not have AR it is still very well done. More of a curiosity than a complaint - the HUD mimics the same info on the console EXCEPT for the lane keep assist indicator. There is a space for it on the HUD where it would logically be. Just odd it is missing.

Last edited by mpmoore; 12-01-2023 at 11:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jcapotos (12-02-2023)
Old 12-01-2023, 06:32 PM

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
EQS
> - Biggest complaint? - No cornering lights (That I can figure out anyway). Certainly not worth a "STRIKE" against the vehicle.

This is actually becoming quiet a problem for me, coming from Audi Q7 I hadn't realized how useful cornering lights were. When you make successive turns in residential areas without street lights, cornering lights in my Q7 were extremely helpful to light up areas not covered by headlights.

Strangely enough, there is some light at the sides that provides extra visibility when parking. I have my home location setup to turn on the camera, and that will trigger some lights on the side mirrors to assist with parking. If they turned on those while cornering at slow speeds, that could help a ton. So a workaround is to turn on camera before turning

Old 12-02-2023, 04:49 AM

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
EQE SUV 500 4Matic
Originally Posted by sarhoshamiral
> - Biggest complaint? - No cornering lights (That I can figure out anyway). Certainly not worth a "STRIKE" against the vehicle.

This is actually becoming quiet a problem for me, coming from Audi Q7 I hadn't realized how useful cornering lights were. When you make successive turns in residential areas without street lights, cornering lights in my Q7 were extremely helpful to light up areas not covered by headlights.

Strangely enough, there is some light at the sides that provides extra visibility when parking. I have my home location setup to turn on the camera, and that will trigger some lights on the side mirrors to assist with parking. If they turned on those while cornering at slow speeds, that could help a ton. So a workaround is to turn on camera before turning
MB must have noted the error of their ways on this one, as I am blessed to have cornering lights on my EQE SUV. One curiosity is that they will not function if the high beams are on.
Old 12-02-2023, 06:35 AM

Received 366 Likes on 226 Posts
2008 CL550, 2022 EQB300, 2022 EQS580
First response is right...people here love their EQS, as do I. Everyone seems to be ******* ev's right now, and car YouTube guys I generally like are even trashing them and the charging network. A G wagon is cool, but ultimately it is a flip phone at the start of the smartphone era. BTW, Hoovie's Garage recently did a video on plunging G wagon values...crypto bros at the height of the mania bought them and now their get rich quick scheme does not look so brilliant, so they are unloading them. I'd try another dealer not trying to price gouge you. If you are concerned about money, a slightly used EQS is a huge bargain right now with their sharp depreciation. I've found the charging network 'issue' to be a complete non issue--and I live in Iowa where we supposedly don't have a charging infrastructure.
avadhanam (12-04-2023)
Old 12-02-2023, 06:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 429 Likes on 297 Posts
2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
Originally Posted by nath_h
.. and now their get rich quick scheme does not look so brilliant
Bitcoin has doubled this year... just FYI... I dont own any crypto. All used car prices are crashing. Even the red hot housing market is finally cooling.

And my EQE is holding up like Hamas freedom fighters in Gaza! (Wolfman can delete this post too)
Old 12-02-2023, 11:15 PM

I checked with our CEO who owns EQS and said its OK. nothing exciting about it. He said there are some open recalls but MB doesn't know what to do about it. Net Net, I went for G63 over Sticker Price and am happy. I think EV's are still 5 years away and MB and so is Biden Administration going to extend the 2030 deadline. Looks like EV's are not ready for prime time and ok to have it as 4th car which would have been the case with me. I know people like you all who have bought and stuck with it which is great. Also the Resale is basically going downhill pretty fast on EV's. I heard the G wagon holds value better. Not even a factor of consideration but sure. Good luck all. I would be in GL450, GT634DR, W205 C63s and now G63 forums. Would visit back when I have EV with me. For now I am not an EV customer. Good luck and enjoy your technology Marvel.
Old 12-02-2023, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by nath_h
First response is right...people here love their EQS, as do I. Everyone seems to be ******* ev's right now, and car YouTube guys I generally like are even trashing them and the charging network. A G wagon is cool, but ultimately it is a flip phone at the start of the smartphone era. BTW, Hoovie's Garage recently did a video on plunging G wagon values...crypto bros at the height of the mania bought them and now their get rich quick scheme does not look so brilliant, so they are unloading them. I'd try another dealer not trying to price gouge you. If you are concerned about money, a slightly used EQS is a huge bargain right now with their sharp depreciation. I've found the charging network 'issue' to be a complete non issue--and I live in Iowa where we supposedly don't have a charging infrastructure.
I paid over MSRP 15k to get G wagon and it looked like a deal. Try calling California dealers who wants 70k on top of G wagon. G is anything but dead. I lived it for a week calling all over nation and few dealers who I am friends with. It's a real deal happening right now. Not 150k Over like in COVID days but still a solid 40k over MSRP for right car. Good luck. EQ series is 10% off on MSRP. So pick your poison. Looks like a great deal but it is a great deal because nobody wants it and there are many boring EV's out there. Anyway not starting a debate but came unbiased to all parts and saw this first hand in last 1 week. I am out and done.
Old 12-09-2023, 09:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Tesla Model S
Originally Posted by Tommytrojan
I paid over MSRP 15k to get G wagon and it looked like a deal. Try calling California dealers who wants 70k on top of G wagon. G is anything but dead. I lived it for a week calling all over nation and few dealers who I am friends with. It's a real deal happening right now. Not 150k Over like in COVID days but still a solid 40k over MSRP for right car. Good luck. EQ series is 10% off on MSRP. So pick your poison. Looks like a great deal but it is a great deal because nobody wants it and there are many boring EV's out there. Anyway not starting a debate but came unbiased to all parts and saw this first hand in last 1 week. I am out and done.
Why are Gwagons so popular? Depreciation for business owners? Status symbol?
Old 12-09-2023, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by QuantumFlx
Why are Gwagons so popular? Depreciation for business owners? Status symbol?
yes and yes. Once you have it you would know why. It looks like nothing on street. An off-roader that does. 0-60 in 3.9 and has luxurious interior and looks like military box from 70s but has Mercedes magno paint.

Last edited by Tommytrojan; 12-09-2023 at 10:11 AM.
js_cls (12-11-2023)
Old 12-13-2023, 07:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Tesla Model S
Originally Posted by Tommytrojan
yes and yes. Once you have it you would know why. It looks like nothing on street. An off-roader that does. 0-60 in 3.9 and has luxurious interior and looks like military box from 70s but has Mercedes magno paint.

I see. Makes sense. Very nice car collection BTW!
Old 12-13-2023, 01:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EQS 450+
Quite frankly, the EQS (especially the SUV) is not an exciting or cool car in the eyes of other people. The exterior looks dull, boring, and resembles a jellybean to be honest. Fortunately for me, I could care less about what a car looks outside (except for the Ford Ka, nobody should have EVER bought that) and place my focus on the interior and ride quality. This is where the EQS really shines. Quite possibly the best interior of its class and superb ride quality. Because most people seem to prioritize how it looks outside, dealers are deeply discounting them. I got a discount of around $35K after rebates, discounts, etc. It was too good to pass on. They successfully moved me out of my turbodiesel Sierra Denali and into an EQS SUV with the deal I was offered.
Old 12-13-2023, 02:14 PM

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
EQS
Originally Posted by mblol
Quite frankly, the EQS (especially the SUV) is not an exciting or cool car in the eyes of other people. The exterior looks dull, boring, and resembles a jellybean to be honest. .
and here I was thinking EQS looks nice since it doesn't try to be edgy or different for sake of being different. Between BMW iX which has the bunny tooth and EQS, I would gladly pay extra for EQS
Old 12-13-2023, 02:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EQS 450+
Originally Posted by sarhoshamiral
and here I was thinking EQS looks nice since it doesn't try to be edgy or different for sake of being different. Between BMW iX which has the bunny tooth and EQS, I would gladly pay extra for EQS
I agree, the exterior doesn't try to be much more than an average mid-size SUV. I think that's where most people find there's a problem. In that regard, the iX is also a very regular-looking mid-size SUV as well, with the exception of the kidneys up front. If you look at it from the side and change the rims, it is very Kia-ish.