EQS SUV Forum for Discussion of EQS SUV

Left Parking Light and DTR Light warning messages.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2023, 08:54 PM

Received 261 Likes on 154 Posts
EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Left Parking Light and DTR Light warning messages.

Since the first week of ownership, over a year ago, I have frequently seen two warning messages, "Parking Light Front Left" and "Check Left Daytime Running Light". I frequently checked the lights while the messages were displayed, and in most cases both lights were functioning. Rarely, the parking light was out, but I never observed the DTR lights not working. Of the numerous warnings I was receiving, these seemed to be the least serious. The red Battery Malfunction and Do Not Tow messages were much more alarming.

In August when my EQS SUV was in the shop for the 20K mile service, several software updates were applied. I did not receive a single warning message for 3-1/2 months. Then, beginning on 1-Nov when temperatures dropped I was constantly getting the Parking Light and DTR Light warning messages. Every cold morning when I started the car I would have to clear the error messages by acknowledging them. Then over this weekend temperatures rose to 60F and there were no error messages. This morning with a 35F temperature, the warnings were back.

I took the SUV to the dealership today to determine the root cause. This afternoon I was advised that the front left headlight assembly needs to be replaced. Apparently, individual lights cannot be replaced. I will report back in a few days after the headlight is changed and I confirm that there are no warnings on cold mornings.

Last edited by LAZARU5; 12-11-2023 at 11:19 PM.
Old 12-12-2023, 03:43 PM

Received 100 Likes on 75 Posts
EQE SUV 500 4Matic
That's unfortunate. At least they found the root cause.
Do you have the digital headlights? If so, then I guess I can understand why it's not just a "replace the bulb" undertaking.
Old 12-12-2023, 06:27 PM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Originally Posted by ScottC2
That's unfortunate. At least they found the root cause.
Do you have the digital headlights? If so, then I guess I can understand why it's not just a "replace the bulb" undertaking.
Yes, they are digital headlights. I suspect that there is a marginal trace on a circuit board that fails when the temperature is close to freezing. I believe there is a core charge for the headlight assembly and it will be refurbished and used for warranty repairs. It's cold enough this week that the tech should be able to confirm that the headlight assembly is the issue no later than the morning after the replacement unit is installed.
Old 12-13-2023, 06:43 PM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Fortunately, the warning messages were still displayed when I arrived at the dealership. Three fault codes were observed during the diagnostics procedures performed on the first day - B1E4D91, B285700, and B266000. If I am reading the invoice correctly, the descriptions for these three codes are: 1) LED Channel output has a malfunction, 2) Output for Standing Light has a malfunction, and 3) Output for Daytime Running Light has a malfunction. In addition to physically replacing the headlight assembly, the software in both the headlight control module and the digital headlamp control unit was updated

Thankfully this was a warranty repair. If this was a post warranty repair the cost would have been $2759 plus Sales Tax ($380 labor, $2379 parts).

Morning temperatures will be below freezing for the next few days, so it should be easy to verify that replacing the headlight assembly resolved the issue since the warning messages only appeared on very cold days.

Last edited by LAZARU5; 12-13-2023 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-14-2023, 03:52 AM

EQE SUV 500 4Matic
Originally Posted by LAZARU5
Thankfully this was a warranty repair. If this was a post warranty repair the cost would have been $2759 plus Sales Tax ($380 labor, $2379 parts).
Yes - that was some good luck you had -- both for diagnostics and warranty covering the cost!
Is the warranty in the US 4 years for your car? (I am guessing this because my EQE SUV arrived here in Sweden with a US Warranty & Service booklet, apparently put in the car by accident at the factory. It said 4 years/50,000 miles).
The warranty here, at least for the EQE SUV, is only TWO years. From then on, one would need to buy an extended warranty. Hmmm...I wonder if what you just went through would be covered by a Mercedes Benz extended warranty??
Old 12-14-2023, 07:54 AM

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts
EQE350 SUV 4MATIC
There are no Extended Limited Warranties (ELW) available here in Canada, just the standard 2 year new car warranty, plus 10 year on the battery. You may want to check if ELW is available for your country.

It is ironic that prior to this EV I had refused to even consider getting an extended warranty (do not get it for electronic devices either), but think that is important to have it with this car.. and now it is not available.

The following users liked this post:
ScottC2 (12-14-2023)
Old 12-14-2023, 09:24 AM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Originally Posted by ScottC2
Yes - that was some good luck you had -- both for diagnostics and warranty covering the cost!
Is the warranty in the US 4 years for your car? (I am guessing this because my EQE SUV arrived here in Sweden with a US Warranty & Service booklet, apparently put in the car by accident at the factory. It said 4 years/50,000 miles).
The warranty here, at least for the EQE SUV, is only TWO years. From then on, one would need to buy an extended warranty. Hmmm...I wonder if what you just went through would be covered by a Mercedes Benz extended warranty??
In the US the EQS SUV includes a 4-year, 50K mile warranty. For me it will be a 25-months, 50K mile warranty due to high mileage. After reading the UK version of the Mercedes-Benz EQ Extended Warranty booklet (posted on MBEQ Club forum) I have some doubt as to whether or not a headlight unit would be covered under the EW. Two clauses in the warranty terms seem to exclude the headlight assembly.

1) On page 15 in a section titled, "What is not covered?" lamp units are listed

2) Page 16 includes a list of items specifically excluded from the EW. Among the items one reads, "Light bulbs and LED bulbs (except Xenon Bulbs)."

ScottC2 (12-14-2023)
Old 12-14-2023, 09:56 AM

EQE SUV 500 4Matic
Originally Posted by LastOne
There are no Extended Limited Warranties (ELW) available here in Canada, just the standard 2 year new car warranty, plus 10 year on the battery. You may want to check if ELW is available for your country.
It is ironic that prior to this EV I had refused to even consider getting an extended warranty (do not get it for electronic devices either), but think that is important to have it with this car.. and now it is not available.
I, too, have never purchased an extended warranty for anything. Until now. I feel differently now because of all the expensive and complex "EQ horror stories" I've read online. I am waiting for my dealer to produce the extended warranty contract now. I hope to get a clear list of exclusions like in the UK example Lazarus refers to. Despite all the exclusions, I feel it's probably a wise thing to do. My factory warranty goes through year two. The MB extended warranty I am buying takes care of years 3-5, inclusive. This will run me about USD 1200. After that, I have been told I can extend 1-2 years at a time (at prevailing prices) for up to 10 years.
Here in Sweden, the battery warranty on the EQE SUV is 10 years or 250,000 km, whichever comes first.
LastOne (12-14-2023)