EQS SUV Forum for Discussion of EQS SUV

One Pedal Driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2024, 12:02 PM

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Surge
That’s not the only negative. The biggest negative is not knowing how the car will decelerate! I nearly rear ended a car because “Intelligent Recuperation” coasted instead of regenerated on my first day using it. No thanks. Too dangerous.
You probably didn't wait long enough. You should see a Green icon when the intelligent recup is "braking" or decelerating - and it shows why it is decelerating, e.g. car in front, intersection, ramp etc.
You can try the adaptive cruise control and get used to how late it applies brake/regen.
And you can also use the driver assistance screen for your instrument cluster, and you can see exactly what the car sees.
Intelligent recup is working flawlessly for me and I use it every day.
Old 06-07-2024, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 411 Likes on 287 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
You don't seem to get it: when the car in front of you brakes suddenly, you cannot look at the screen for the "green icon" to see what the car has decided to do in terms of regen. You need consistency when it comes to braking, not guessing.
Be very careful when using "Intelligent" Recuperation. It is dangerous. And if you rear-end someone it will be your fault.
Old 06-07-2024, 12:10 PM

You don't seem to get it: when the car in front of you brakes suddenly, you cannot look at the screen for the "green icon" to see what the car has decided to do in terms of regen. You need consistency when it comes to braking, not guessing.
Be very careful when using "Intelligent" Recuperation. It is dangerous. And if you rear-end someone it will be your fault.
When car in front brakes suddenly, other safety features would kick in.
You would get a warning tone, red triangle flashing and the front ambient light changed to flashing red.
And the car would do emergency braking as well.
Of course you should also be in charge and I would apply brake and not relying on the car.

My previous post was in reply to your concern about "not knowing when the car would decelerate" - and there are numerous indicators showing what the car is doing.
During emergency situation of course it's different, and you won't pay attention to anything else other than stopping the car.

Last edited by nosnoop; 06-07-2024 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-07-2024, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 411 Likes on 287 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
Exactly - you don't want to rely on the car's emergency braking.
What happened to me was I was getting off the highway. Car in front braked. Cruise was not on. I let off the throttle pedal expecting the car to enter Strong Regen, or at least Normal Regen. Instead, it was in no regen. In the second or so it took to realize it was not slowing down by itself, I almost rear ended the car in front. The panic brake also almost caused the car behind to run into me. Not great.
I was excited for Intelligent Regen, but it's ready for prime time, as they say.
Old 06-07-2024, 12:25 PM

What happened to me was I was getting off the highway. Car in front braked. Cruise was not on. I let off the throttle pedal expecting the car to enter Strong Regen, or at least Normal Regen. Instead, it was in no regen. In the second or so it took to realize it was not slowing down by itself, I almost rear ended the car in front. The panic brake also almost caused the car behind to run into me. Not great.
I was excited for Intelligent Regen, but it's ready for prime time, as they say.
This has not been my experience. I would check your software version making sure it is the latest one.
Old 06-07-2024, 12:59 PM

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts
EQE350 SUV 4MATIC
Driving in no regen mode and expecting the car to automatically engage a different mode is unreasonable. The most that will happen is the emergency braking kicking in. Your experience is a failure of the operator not the car.
The modes are very useful as long as you know their capabilities and limitations. They are not full self-driving features, only partial.
It does not matter what mode is being used (DISTRONIC, Strong regen, or Intelligent regen) if the car in from you you suddenly brakes. The driver is responsible to be alert and take the appropriate action. For 99% of your driving, if you are not tailgating, the features work well. Try using them in small measures to build your confidence. It just takes a little time like learning to drive.