EQS EQS (V297) sedan

EQS news & rumors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 12:16 PM

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts
Range Rover Land Rover
Please Don't hate me, "but", the more I see the EQS with the AMG exterior option the more it reminds me of the Honda Accord! I know Honda has probably stolen that look from MB prior models but never the less it brings back my disappointment with seeing the newly released EQS as it compared to its Vision Predecessor. MB went all out for the least drag coefficient (or whatever its called) production vehicle in the world to gain more miles per volt at the sacrifice of cutting edge style, I get it, that is important. I just feel at the $120,000-150,000 price point most folks could care less about saving 50-60 miles per charge, in exchange for something that is as sexy as the Vision. That said, I've ordered the EQS and am totally excited about it, especially the interior and its technology and would not consider a Tesla or other alternatives. This more about me venting my frustration.

Old 06-10-2021, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 284 Posts
23 EQS 580 SUV, 19 X7 (sold), 17/14 GLS550 (sold) 13 GL550 (sold)
Worth watching!

Old 06-10-2021, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,765 Likes on 2,150 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
[QUOTE=Soulman;8354584]Please Don't hate me, "but", the more I see the EQS with the AMG exterior option the more it reminds me of the Honda Accord! I know Honda has probably stolen that look from MB prior models but never the less it brings back my disappointment with seeing the newly released EQS as it compared to its Vision Predecessor. MB went all out for the least drag coefficient (or whatever its called) production vehicle in the world to gain more miles per volt at the sacrifice of cutting edge style, I get it, that is important. I just feel at the $120,000-150,000 price point most folks could care less about saving 50-60 miles per charge, in exchange for something that is as sexy as the Vision. That said, I've ordered the EQS and am totally excited about it, especially the interior and its technology and would not consider a Tesla or other alternatives. This more about me venting my frustration./QUOTE]

I had not noticed that, but I agree. I've always thought Honda cars punched way above their weight with their designs. They build some really good looking cars, IMO. I've always thought the Tesla Model S was a very good looking car as well, especially the earlier models without the glass roofs. Oh well, I'm sure the EQS will be a great car, but it sure could have looked better.
Old 06-10-2021, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 852 Likes on 546 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by Soulman
Please Don't hate me, "but", the more I see the EQS with the AMG exterior option the more it reminds me of the Honda Accord! I know Honda has probably stolen that look from MB prior models but never the less it brings back my disappointment with seeing the newly released EQS as it compared to its Vision Predecessor. MB went all out for the least drag coefficient (or whatever its called) production vehicle in the world to gain more miles per volt at the sacrifice of cutting edge style, I get it, that is important. I just feel at the $120,000-150,000 price point most folks could care less about saving 50-60 miles per charge, in exchange for something that is as sexy as the Vision. That said, I've ordered the EQS and am totally excited about it, especially the interior and its technology and would not consider a Tesla or other alternatives. This more about me venting my frustration.
First I HATE YOU

Second - That's a Honda Civic not a Honda Accord

Third - The EQS looks nothing like the Civic or the Accord.

That said I agree the front end black plastic grille merging with the headlights looks stupid. They should have actually eliminated the grille completely and gone for a body color sporty front that embraces the fact that a grille is not needed on an EV.

There have been two other cars in Mercedes design pantheon that had no grille - the C111 concept, and the Mercedes AMG Project One. Both are among the best looking benzes ever made.
Old 06-10-2021, 08:41 PM

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
I just feel at the $120,000-150,000 price point most folks could care less about saving 50-60 miles per charge, in exchange for something that is as sexy as the Vision.
I do not think that is true. I suspect /think (based on my own experience) that people are not so preoccupied with range when they purchase a small or medium BEV that they use primarily for commuting and short trips in/out of the city, however, when purchasing a larger car - that they might use for longer trips - traveling between their houses for example- they want a car that will do the trip without having to stop and recharge. (Think of second homes in the mountains, cooler temperatures or longer distances). In those cases, 50 - 60 miles make a big difference.
Old 06-10-2021, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 852 Likes on 546 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by perlfather
I do not think that is true. I suspect /think (based on my own experience) that people are not so preoccupied with range when they purchase a small or medium BEV that they use primarily for commuting and short trips in/out of the city, however, when purchasing a larger car - that they might use for longer trips - traveling between their houses for example- they want a car that will do the trip without having to stop and recharge. (Think of second homes in the mountains, cooler temperatures or longer distances). In those cases, 50 - 60 miles make a big difference.
Agree. My view is that as long as the "real world range" is over 300 miles then it may make sense to sacrifice aero for looks. However I don't know what the real world range of the EQS is. I suspect the EQS580 will come in below the Tesla Model S Long-range AWD which would explain why they did what they did.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 252 Likes on 159 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by perlfather
I agree 100%, I love the look of the Taycan but there is no way I will buy any vehicle that cannot go beyond 300miles without needing to stop. Its not even about the max distance. Its the comfort/luxury of being able drive without the added stress of range anxiety on a road trip.
However, I would seriously rather they had achieved the additional range another way. The car is just fugly! Right now I am contemplating forgetting about the EQS and just ordering a Tesla Plaid because I don't know if I can live with how ugly the EQS is... especially when I will be switching from an S couple which is arguably the most beautiful modern Mercedes ever made.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 927 Likes on 606 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
I believe the time is long past when car companies can fool the public with gorgeous concept cars only to have the actual build a disappointing bland looking distant cousin. Both the Taycan and EQS concepts were to die for but the reality is much different, especially when they are cars at a 100k plus with modest options.
Old 06-11-2021, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EQS in the wild (the German Autobahn to more precise). I get that everyone has their own views but IMO this is not an ugly car by any measure.

Old 06-12-2021, 08:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Interior comparison - Tesla Plaid vs. EQS. - which do you prefer?

The following users liked this post:
Reefer36 (10-13-2021)
Old 06-12-2021, 12:45 PM

Range Rover Land Rover
I've not sat in either of these cars so this is a visual response. If you enjoy an uncluttered, modern, unfussy, minimalist look you may love the Telsa interior. The EQS is the opposite its projects comfort, luxury, even some extravagance. I prefer the EQS 1000%. The tesla steering wheel looks very cool if I were a pilot. lol
Old 06-12-2021, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,496 Likes on 987 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by JoeMa
EQS in the wild (the German Autobahn to more precise). I get that everyone has their own views but IMO this is not an ugly car by any measure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPlRgzWxbgc
I don't think there are enough panels or seams in the front end. They should add a few more to make it interesting.
Old 06-12-2021, 12:59 PM

Range Rover Land Rover
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
First I HATE YOU

Second - That's a Honda Civic not a Honda Accord

Third - The EQS looks nothing like the Civic or the Accord.

That said I agree the front end black plastic grille merging with the headlights looks stupid. They should have actually eliminated the grille completely and gone for a body color sporty front that embraces the fact that a grille is not needed on an EV.

There have been two other cars in Mercedes design pantheon that had no grille - the C111 concept, and the Mercedes AMG Project One. Both are among the best looking benzes ever made.
1st . I accept your hatred, LOL.
2nd. My apology to the Accord
3rd, From the front end I would say its a pretty good resemblance, but point was, the overall look of the EQS was a big let down from the Vision and the let down is compounded when the EQS resembles a Honda.

Old 06-12-2021, 01:57 PM

Range Rover Land Rover
[QUOTE=JoeMa;8355441]EQS in the wild (the German Autobahn to more precise). I get that everyone has their own views but IMO this is not an ugly car by any measure.

I agree completely Joe, I wouldn't be buying it if I though it was ugly.
Old 06-12-2021, 08:08 PM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
15 AMG S63 4-matic coupe
I don't dislike the EQS. There is however a lack of visual impact. That Je ne sais quoi, it's raison d'être.
I don't think anyone will confuse it for a 300 SL.
Old 06-13-2021, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 306 Posts
1991 190E 2.3
Originally Posted by boltonblue
I don't dislike the EQS. There is however a lack of visual impact. That Je ne sais quoi, it's raison d'être.
I don't think anyone will confuse it for a 300 SL.
I can't think of anything that would ever be confused with a gullwing. I think comparing the EQS to an ordinary Honda Accord is pretty harsh and unjustified. While the real world car isn't as stunning as the concept car, it's still an important step in the transformation that the automobile is currently undergoing.
Old 06-13-2021, 01:04 PM

Range Rover Land Rover
Originally Posted by 190Efan
I can't think of anything that would ever be confused with a gullwing. I think comparing the EQS to an ordinary Honda Accord is pretty harsh and unjustified. While the real world car isn't as stunning as the concept car, it's still an important step in the transformation that the automobile is currently undergoing.
I was referring to the EQS and the "AMG Exterior Package", meaning the front end basically resembles the Honda. But as I have said previously in this forum, I would not be buying the EQS if I thought it actually looked like a Honda. I haven't fully recovered from the shock of seeing it verses seeing the Vision concept car, lol. Plus I'm not a fan of the AMG front bumper and especially hate the fact that it is now being mandated with the 580.
Radman991 (06-13-2021)
Old 06-14-2021, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 306 Posts
1991 190E 2.3
I was referring to the EQS and the "AMG Exterior Package", meaning the front end basically resembles the Honda. But as I have said previously in this forum, I would not be buying the EQS if I thought it actually looked like a Honda. I haven't fully recovered from the shock of seeing it verses seeing the Vision concept car, lol. Plus I'm not a fan of the AMG front bumper and especially hate the fact that it is now being mandated with the 580.
I think the EQS will sell well in spite of such nit-picking. The W201 was nit-picked like this when it first went on sale and now it's an MB icon. I predict a similar history for the EQS.
The following 4 users liked this post by 190Efan:
AppleFan1 (06-14-2021), jhpiipe (06-14-2021), Reefer36 (10-13-2021), stealth.pilot (06-14-2021)
Old 06-17-2021, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,011 Likes on 592 Posts
N/A
https://media.mbusa.com/releases/rel...ging-ecosystem
Old 06-17-2021, 05:02 PM

Range Rover Land Rover
Thanks Eaton, great link!
Old 06-17-2021, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 796 Likes on 752 Posts
2015 S550 Palladium/Deep Sea Blue, 2016 Tesla Model S 70D, 2015 Volvo XC70
OT, I'm not planning on another Tesla, but the company has apparently made some strides with the latest Model S...

2022 Tesla Model S Plaid First Test

The Model S Plaid zips down the quarter mile in a staggeringly quick 9.25 seconds at 152.6 mph. The run from 0 to 60 mph happens just 1.98 seconds after the brutally hard launch [2.07s on normal asphalt w/rollout]

....Even more impressive and true to Tesla's word, the Plaid is capable of posting those times consistently, never varying by more than a fraction of a second or so each time we rocketed down the strip. We've never tested a car so robotic in its consistency....

this all makes the 2022 Tesla Model S Plaid the quickest production car we've ever tested—an immense accomplishment....

Ironically, the breathtaking straight-line achievements distract from another monumental achievement: The Model S Plaid is quite simply the best Tesla yet. It doesn't matter if you're cruising down the highway, slogging through city traffic, or slicing down your favorite back road. The Model S Plaid delivers, no matter what you ask it to do.

On the highway and around town, the 2022 Tesla Model S Plaid is comfortable, quiet, and a delightful place to pass the miles. Thanks to its air suspension and adaptive dampers, the ride is supple and well controlled over all but the most brutal of impacts....

Inside, Tesla drastically reworked the interior to make it more luxurious, spacious, and entertaining—in fact, the company says the front seat rails are the only retained parts....

It's remarkably well rounded, exhibiting a combination of comfort, luxury, performance, and efficiency that remained a sci-fi fantasy in 2013 when we named the Model S the MotorTrend Car of the Year. Regardless of how much you care about acceleration numbers and how they're achieved, perhaps the most important takeaway is that the Model S Plaid is absolutely among the best cars on the market today.

Last edited by syswei; 06-17-2021 at 10:20 PM.
Old 06-18-2021, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,587 Likes on 983 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
The new yoke steering wheel is the biggest deal-breaker for me, more so than the quality, like the steering wheel is actually unconventional in the worst ways and will easily be a large and uncomfortable change. No need to reinvent the wheel.
Old 06-18-2021, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 927 Likes on 606 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
I know that acceleration bragging rights have always been fore front for auto makers but the current numbers are irrelevant. 99.9% of car owners never use this excess power and it is a mute point. Kind of like the the old joke about a nun having DD sized *****.

I am more interested in reliability, ease of use and the most comfortable ride quality.
Tjdehya (06-18-2021)
Old 06-18-2021, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Utopia Texas
I know that acceleration bragging rights have always been fore front for auto makers but the current numbers are irrelevant. 99.9% of car owners never use this excess power and it is a mute point. Kind of like the the old joke about a nun having DD sized *****.

I am more interested in reliability, ease of use and the most comfortable ride quality.
I agree 100% and when it comes to interiors, it's a no-brainer for me. I want a luxury car, not a game console!

Old 06-18-2021, 11:45 AM

Range Rover Land Rover
Originally Posted by Utopia Texas

Agreed, they use it one time with their friends to give them the whip-lash effect and that is it. I'll take Lux and comfort over speed any day!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EQS news & rumors