EQS news & rumors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 04:22 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,409 Likes on 2,852 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
This is a totally stupid perspective. It would only make sense if people were buying these cars for long road trips.

Most people who buy luxury cars use them around town, and take flights for long trips. Anything more than a two hour drive, I would take a plane. And so would most people I know who buy $100k plus cars. Further people who have cars at this price point have lots of cars, and usually will have an ICE car in the garage.

I don't think someone like you is the target customer. It's people like me. I personally couldn't care less if there is no charging infrastructure because I will only charge the car in my own garage.
FWIW I fawking HATE planes and would rather drive, even though I do not LOVE long road trips......it beats the hell out of dealing with ANY airline people not to mention the Pandamnit going on right now.
Just sayin'.
The following users liked this post:
Streamliner (01-27-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,022 Likes on 742 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Streamliner
As mentioned previously by so many others, these “battery operated” vehicles are one thing, but the lack of a substantial, convenient, easy to use, nationwide, recharging infrastructure is the huge deal here. WHEN will we hear of MBUSA’s plans for satiating this 600 pound gorilla in the room?

What percent of your gasoline do you buy more that 50 miles away from your home?
Old 01-27-2021, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
[/QUOTE Charging network isn't MBUSA's problem. The federal government and the CARB states have mandated that these cars exist. A charging network is their problem. California can't handle their electricity demands right now.
I’m sure you’re right, but if our idiot government officials are responsible for providing charging locations, I can’t imagine ever having a battery operated vehicle. Here in LaLa Land, we are watching as our Laurel & Hardy government is flushing billions down the toilet on a high speed railroad that will probably never run.[/QUOTE]

What specifically is your objective to the high speed rail project? Fundamentally it seems to be a good idea.
Old 01-27-2021, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,689 Likes on 2,111 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
I’m sure you’re right, but if our idiot government officials are responsible for providing charging locations, I can’t imagine ever having a battery operated vehicle. Here in LaLa Land, we are watching as our Laurel & Hardy government is flushing billions down the toilet on a high speed railroad that will probably never run.
What specifically is your objective to the high speed rail project? Fundamentally it seems to be a good idea.[/QUOTE]

If you mean what is my objection, I could go on forever. Let me first say that I would absolutely LOVE a high speed train in California and across the rest of the country for that matter. I have ridden high speed trains in Germany and other countries in Europe and they are magnificent. Unfortunately, the California High Speed Rail Authority has made so many mistakes in the undertaking of this massive project, that a majority of people in the know, feel that the project will never be completed.

First of all, they started building, when they had not yet acquired many of the parcels of land needed for the right-of-way. Wealthy farmers have fought them in court at every turn as the proposed routes cut farms in half. Then, they started building the easiest portion of the line, the part that runs in the flat lands of the Central Valley of CA, which is primarily farmland. The most difficult portion is the where the train must go over or through the mountains between the Central Valley and the greater Los Angeles basin. So, they have now spent billions, they still don't own all the parcels they need in the Central Valley and they don't even KNOW how they will get the tracks from the Bakersfield area to L.A. AND, when they start to try and acquire homes and businesses in the massively populated areas of L.A., Orange County, San Diego County, etc., if they think they had it hard dealing with the farmers in the Central Valley, just wait. This system was originally put before the California voters with a budget of $35 Billion and that was for a fully operating system between San Francisco & L.A. and all the way down to San Diego. It has been TWELVE years, they have spent $100 Billion and the tracks have not been built anywhere even close to SF or LA. As a matter of fact, NO trains are running on the system, because even the crummy, little portion in the Central Valley is not yet up and running. I'm a patriotic American, but I am rapidly losing faith in the ability of state and federal governments to do much of ANYTHING right anymore.
hyperion667 (01-27-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 448 Likes on 357 Posts
2015 CLS 550 2015 ML 400 Previous 2020 GLB 250 2019 A 220 2005 ML 350 1989 300 E 2001 SL 500
The federal government's and Carb haven't mandated the existence of these cars. Consumer demand has. tesla's are continuing to sell like hot cakes and there is no federal tax credit on these cars any more. It is simply a superior experience to have a car which is silent, has amazing power delivery, and which you never have to waste time filling up at a petrol station.
Incorrect. CARB has a percentage requirement for these cars and it is scheduled to go up over the next several years. The federal gov't has long called for electric cars and Pres Biden just mandated replacing the federal fleet with electric vehicles.
This is not a consumer driven change. Aside from Tesla(and it has taken years for Tesla to be profitable) no one is making money on these cars.
SUV demand is a consumer driven change, hence anyone selling SUV's is making money.
Electric cars only make sense for the wealthy who typically have an ICE car in their fleet.
The average consumer doesn't have that option. They need one car to do everything and placing a charging station in their home or worse yet apartment isn't economically feasible.

I think electric cars have their place, buts lets not pretend they are an answer for everyone.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,490 Likes on 983 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by mercedesmax
Incorrect. CARB has a percentage requirement for these cars and it is scheduled to go up over the next several years. The federal gov't has long called for electric cars and Pres Biden just mandated replacing the federal fleet with electric vehicles.
This is not a consumer driven change. Aside from Tesla(and it has taken years for Tesla to be profitable) no one is making money on these cars.
SUV demand is a consumer driven change, hence anyone selling SUV's is making money.
Electric cars only make sense for the wealthy who typically have an ICE car in their fleet.
The average consumer doesn't have that option. They need one car to do everything and placing a charging station in their home or worse yet apartment isn't economically feasible.

I think electric cars have their place, buts lets not pretend they are an answer for everyone.
100%. Whoever thinks this is consumer driven is way off the mark.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:34 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Cool

What specifically is your objective to the high speed rail project? Fundamentally it seems to be a good idea.
If you mean what is my objection, I could go on forever. Let me first say that I would absolutely LOVE a high speed train in California and across the rest of the country for that matter. I have ridden high speed trains in Germany and other countries in Europe and they are magnificent. Unfortunately, the California High Speed Rail Authority has made so many mistakes in the undertaking of this massive project, that a majority of people in the know, feel that the project will never be completed.

First of all, they started building, when they had not yet acquired many of the parcels of land needed for the right-of-way. Wealthy farmers have fought them in court at every turn as the proposed routes cut farms in half. Then, they started building the easiest portion of the line, the part that runs in the flat lands of the Central Valley of CA, which is primarily farmland. The most difficult portion is the where the train must go over or through the mountains between the Central Valley and the greater Los Angeles basin. So, they have now spent billions, they still don't own all the parcels they need in the Central Valley and they don't even KNOW how they will get the tracks from the Bakersfield area to L.A. AND, when they start to try and acquire homes and businesses in the massively populated areas of L.A., Orange County, San Diego County, etc., if they think they had it hard dealing with the farmers in the Central Valley, just wait. This system was originally put before the California voters with a budget of $35 Billion and that was for a fully operating system between San Francisco & L.A. and all the way down to San Diego. It has been TWELVE years, they have spent $100 Billion and the tracks have not been built anywhere even close to SF or LA. As a matter of fact, NO trains are running on the system, because even the crummy, little portion in the Central Valley is not yet up and running. I'm a patriotic American, but I am rapidly losing faith in the ability of state and federal governments to do much of ANYTHING right anymore.[/QUOTE]
Wassaby (01-27-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 806 Likes on 520 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580

There are plenty of average consumers who have gone electric. Nissan has sold 500,000 Leafs so far. The leaf used to be THE electric car before the Tesla. Most people don't use their cars for long road trips. And going electric saves a lot of money, even if you have to occasionally get a rental for a holiday.

I can also tell you that when I have been at my local Tesla showroom, I noticed some of the people picking up their first Teslas - mostly model 3 and Y cars. They seemed like regular people, trading in Toyotas and Hyundais.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,586 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
I can also tell you that when I have been at my local Tesla showroom, I noticed some of the people picking up their first Teslas - mostly model 3 and Y cars. They seemed like regular people, trading in Toyotas and Hyundais.
The Model 3 is essentially the Prius of this era, its a hit and has a swarm of buyers from different brands. Most buyers were from mainstream automakers according to this Bloomberg survey, but #2 was the 3-series and there was also an Audi A4 on the list. BMW seems to be the most vulnerable luxury brand to Tesla, I've personally seen a lot of 3-Series owners go to Model 3's, and I'm starting to see X3 and X5's turn into Model X/Y's in my neighborhood.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2...evolution.html

Old 01-27-2021, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic

First of all, they started building, when they had not yet acquired many of the parcels of land needed for the right-of-way. Wealthy farmers have fought them in court at every turn as the proposed routes cut farms in half. Then, they started building the easiest portion of the line, the part that runs in the flat lands of the Central Valley of CA, which is primarily farmland. The most difficult portion is the where the train must go over or through the mountains between the Central Valley and the greater Los Angeles basin. So, they have now spent billions, they still don't own all the parcels they need in the Central Valley and they don't even KNOW how they will get the tracks from the Bakersfield area to L.A. AND, when they start to try and acquire homes and businesses in the massively populated areas of L.A., Orange County, San Diego County, etc., if they think they had it hard dealing with the farmers in the Central Valley, just wait. This system was originally put before the California voters with a budget of $35 Billion and that was for a fully operating system between San Francisco & L.A. and all the way down to San Diego. It has been TWELVE years, they have spent $100 Billion and the tracks have not been built anywhere even close to SF or LA. As a matter of fact, NO trains are running on the system, because even the crummy, little portion in the Central Valley is not yet up and running. I'm a patriotic American, but I am rapidly losing faith in the ability of state and federal governments to do much of ANYTHING right anymore.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for correctly reading my question and your explanation. It is unfortunate that they are not doing a better job of executing what is fundamentally a good idea. Not sure why they wouldn't take a more thought through approach. It feeds into the narrative that government can't do things well and only wealth concentrators can.

BTW my relatives were / are ranchers in the Central Valley so I know the area pretty well as I graduated from CSUF.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 01-27-2021 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
Climate change is an unfortunate result of the dictates of Mr Market. That said it's just a matter of time before ICE's are displaced by EV's

Last edited by MBNUT1; 01-27-2021 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01-28-2021, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 448 Likes on 357 Posts
2015 CLS 550 2015 ML 400 Previous 2020 GLB 250 2019 A 220 2005 ML 350 1989 300 E 2001 SL 500
There are plenty of average consumers who have gone electric. Nissan has sold 500,000 Leafs so far. The leaf used to be THE electric car before the Tesla. Most people don't use their cars for long road trips. And going electric saves a lot of money, even if you have to occasionally get a rental for a holiday.

I think you will find the average electric car customer has a much higher than average income. They also usually own more than 1 car.
The "average" car buyer makes less than $50k per year and owns only 1 car.
I sold i3's for BMW and now we carry used Tesla's. Customers always over 6 figures in income.
When people with $40k incomes buy electric cars then it will be market driven
hyperion667 (01-28-2021)
Old 01-28-2021, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,303 Likes on 2,049 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
I am with Stealth.pilot on the normal use of EV's. Charging infrastructure is of no relevance to me as the car will be used exclusively in the city and the cars we are discussing will be in the 400+ mile range. I'll be happy with 250 mile range which is what our GTC or M8c are doing in the city (if I am lucky)...

Even though we have a whole house backup generator, I also love the idea that an EV as a backup power supply for the house. How cool is that? So I hope the EQS looks the part inside out and has sufficient power.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wolfman:
MBNUT1 (01-28-2021), stealth.pilot (02-01-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
I think you will find the average electric car customer has a much higher than average income. They also usually own more than 1 car.
The "average" car buyer makes less than $50k per year and owns only 1 car.
I sold i3's for BMW and now we carry used Tesla's. Customers always over 6 figures in income.
When people with $40k incomes buy electric cars then it will be market driven

The average car buyer almost certainly owns 2 cars. The average number of cars per household in the USA is 1.88. When you factor that there are some households that have no cars such as in NYC, and millennial who use Uber. then limit it to people who actually own cars, it will be over 2.

Wassaby (01-29-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 04:47 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
2020 GLC 300 4Matic OffRoad
Originally Posted by hyperion667
It's one slick looking ride! I'd love to have one......maybe.......to futuristic for MY driveway though

what is the source of this picture? looks very similar to the concept one, but more reality
Old 02-04-2021, 04:53 PM

It is this one:

of coz, not
hyperion667 (02-04-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 366 Likes on 303 Posts
1991 190E 2.3
They're probably both still concept pictures but they do look way cool.
Old 02-05-2021, 02:08 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by abacnus
what is the source of this picture? looks very similar to the concept one, but more reality
Abacnus, I don't recall the source. it came up when I did a search for the car and I really liked that pic
Old 02-11-2021, 04:23 PM

real?

Old 02-11-2021, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,586 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
real?

its photoshop. No images of the EQ S have leaked.
Old 02-11-2021, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,689 Likes on 2,111 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
real?

Looks nice. Sure would like to see it with a more traditional grill and a little star perched on top of the hood.
MBNUT1 (02-12-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 07:04 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Looks nice. Sure would like to see it with a more traditional grill and a little star perched on top of the hood.
Looks nice? Looks like a damned Civic LOL! What are you smokin' old man?
Old 02-11-2021, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
I'm sure some chinese suppliers will make that happen.
Old 02-11-2021, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
I think if they were going to do a down sloping aerodynamic hood, they should have made it like project 1 with a low sloping hood, no grill, and the star on the bonnet. if there is no engine in the front, there is no need for a grille.

MBNUT1 (02-12-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Also it looks like the EQS is finally starting to shed the camo.

https://www.motor1.com/news/486994/2...less-camo-spy/

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EQS news & rumors