EQS EQS (V297) sedan

EQS Test Drives coming to select cities. Register now.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2021, 06:29 PM

Received 143 Likes on 110 Posts
2005 SL 500. 2015 S550. 2016 GLE400 2018 S560
Just saw a post. Mercedes of North Palm Beach has a 580 in the dealership. Not sure if it’s for sale. Probably a demo. I’m doing the demo in Boston tomorrow and I fly to palm beach Saturday for the winter. May check it out.
The following users liked this post:
Germancar1 (11-05-2021)
Old 11-05-2021, 08:15 AM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
15 AMG S63 4-matic coupe
EV Demo: EQS this morning and a Zero SR/S this afternoon.
js_cls (11-05-2021)
Old 11-05-2021, 10:50 AM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
2018 AMG S63 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by ddruker
Given the comments earlier in the thread about the EQS 580 being in short supply for the test drives, I sent an email to the team doing the test drives asking them to slot me for an EQS 580 since I've got a 580 on order. They replied quickly with:
Hello, Thank you for registering for an EQS Test Drive experience. There will be EQS 580s available to test drive at the location. Please let the representatives on-site know that you would like to drive the 580 when you arrive for your test drive, and they will be able to accommodate you.
Respectfully,
The Mercedes-EQ Test Drive Team
It wasn't a high stress issue when I arrived to test drive the EQS 580. I just told them I'm comfortable waiting until the 580 was available and they walked me to one within 5 minutes.
Old 11-05-2021, 12:22 PM

15 AMG S63 4-matic coupe
I had the test drive this morning. Lots of MB people waiting to assist and it was not particularly crowded. In fact at 9:45 I may have been the only guest.
2 580's and probably half dozen 450's.
Personal baseline reference is my S63 coupe which I drove there.
Pros:
The vehicle does not feel anywhere near as heavy as it is on paper. Fairly comfortable seats, I still like my "exclusive quilted nappa leather " s63 seats better.
In all fairness I did not play with adjusting the EQS seats at all.
Driver's Visibility was great. Acceleration was great, immediate and really jumped. I did not get a highway experience so i couldn't really leg it out.
In general a comfortable smooth ride, You clearly could transport your goldfish in the front seat.
With respect to handling, the steering was light and didn't require any substantial effort.
The Rear wheel steering was essentially invisible, it was that good. I totally forget it was there until I was writing this.
It could be described as nimble but not toss-able if that makes sense.
There was a fair amount of hysteresis when transitioning from one extreme to the other, so just a lot of wheel travel to go from side to side.

Cons:
I love the S class and truly miss my LWB S430. I am 6'1" and would not be adverse to a long trip in the rear seat in an S class.
There is adequate head room and it is adequate leg room,
The EQS is NOT and S-class. The rear seat just doesn't cut it. I climbed behind my normal drivers seat position.
My knees weren't touching the front seat but I was not relaxing back there. The killer though was headroom.
I was pushing on the roofline and forget the headrest. I really needed about and inch and a half to be clear of the roof.
The seats were small and not embracing. It felt a lot more similar to my wife's e450 backseat than any S-class I've been in.

The front seat controls were static without the sense of movement ad they also didn't appear to be to move the seat base independently of the seat back.
I have long legs and usually move the seat all of the way forward for support. So that was a markdown as well.

Overall the materials felt slightly cheaper than they needed to be. Nice, adequate but simply not top shelf luxurious.

Driving dynamics. It clearly won't be confused with an AMG. as mentioned before the acceleration was very good sans motor noises and gear shifts.
The intelligent regen did feel fairly good and you could modulate fairly well.
The brakes had a very long pedal, perhaps 3 or 4 inches of travel before they were firm. .
The brakes were solid but didn't begin engaging at the top of the pedal.
I didn't really have the opportunity to take the vehicle hard into a corner and modulate control on the edge.
I suspect it would be quite a learning experience to get it there.
As mentioned the steering control loop could be tightened up a lot or perhaps just the rack ratios for more quicker turn in.
personally 1 1/2 turns lock to lock is fine for me.
The AMG version will hopefully address those issues and tighten up the geometries and bring back a firm brake pedal.
Spirited driving doesn't work very well with such a long pedal. Personally, I prefer pressure rather than travel.

The dark metallic blue stood out for me in the bright sunshine. The car just doesn't have a lot of sensual curves.
It needs something revealing to show off. The blue does that. There are cars that catch your eyes from across a parking lot and suck you in.
The EQS is clearly not in that club. It is utterly benign in that regard. You could walk by it and simply never see it.
If however you're going to use it as getaway car for bank heist, cover the emblems and you are good to go.
It is as about as non-descript as you can get.

Last edited by boltonblue; 11-05-2021 at 12:30 PM.
B.Regard (11-06-2021)
Old 11-05-2021, 01:35 PM

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts
2023 S Class 2013 SL
“It is as about as non-descript as you can get”.
Yikes! What a blistering comment. And, to think they went from the concept images to this. Mercedes, ‘You in a heap of trouble, boy’.
Old 11-05-2021, 03:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
e320
Originally Posted by docsout
“It is as about as non-descript as you can get”.
Yikes! What a blistering comment. And, to think they went from the concept images to this. Mercedes, ‘You in a heap of trouble, boy’.
I cant lie, I was 100% sold on the EQS, but then the new Range Rover was unveiled and I am having serious second thoughts.

Last edited by kp117; 11-05-2021 at 04:22 PM.
Germancar1 (11-05-2021)
Old 11-05-2021, 04:41 PM

Received 106 Likes on 72 Posts
2011 GL 350, P1 Package, HID headlamps, Blind spot assist, Parktronic, Wood steering wheel
For those of you attending the upcoming test drives:

Can you look around to see if any of the vehicles has the "larger body-colored rear spoiler" option - and post a few photos here if you see one?
Can you ask the reps about the soft close doors - are they being given a date for when that option will stop getting stripped out of builds?
Do the reps have any other information about production, availability and delivery? Their targets and what is happening now for length of time from order to delivery, etc?

My test drive is scheduled in early December - I'm also happy to take pictures or ask questions when I go - just ask!
js_cls (11-05-2021)
Old 11-05-2021, 04:48 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2022 Tesla Model S
Can you ask the reps about the soft close doors - are they being given a date for when that option will stop getting stripped out of builds?

According to the latest order guide, comfort doors are delayed until the '23 model.
ddruker (11-05-2021)
Old 11-05-2021, 05:13 PM

Just got back from the Boston demo. I asked about soft close doors. None of the demo cars had it. They just said it’s delayed until my23. I also asked about rear spoiler. Several of the reps didn’t know what I was talking about. They looked it up on their iPads and basically described it to me. No one had seen the optional spoiler so they didn’t know what it looks like. The cars all had a small color coordinated spoiler on it and I asked “they are going to mount another spoiler on top of that?” That’s what it says was reply.

Was impressed by the hyper screen. Unfortunately the 15 minutes went by fast and didn’t get a real comprehensive look at all the functions of the screen. Overall felt a bit smaller than my S class. Less room in the back but I was comfortable. Very smooth and quiet ride. I forgot I was in an electric car and used the brake pedal as I normally do instead of letting the regenerative brakes take over. Dark colors look much nicer to me. I drove the dark blue car. I don’t think it’s the sportiest car I’ve ever driven but in my opinion the car is very nice looking.
The following 2 users liked this post by Radman991:
ddruker (11-05-2021), JoeMa (11-06-2021)
Old 11-05-2021, 07:57 PM

15 AMG S63 4-matic coupe
I'm not trying to be harsh. It's not a "bad looking" car. It's no Pontiac Aztek.
It just blends into the scenery. My S coupe, my SL or my GT S are simply drop dead gorgeous.
They never fail to get thumbs up or a big smiles.
The S sedan is an attractive car.
I simply can't imagine any turning their head to watch the EQS go by.

The back seat is unforgiveable though. Maybe they are saving it for the Maybach version. " now with headroom"
Old 11-06-2021, 07:10 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 S350, 2021 GLS450
Originally Posted by boltonblue
I had the test drive this morning. Lots of MB people waiting to assist and it was not particularly crowded. In fact at 9:45 I may have been the only guest.
2 580's and probably half dozen 450's.

It is as about as non-descript as you can get.
I came here to post a review of my 12:30pm drive yesterday but you nailed almost everything.

I'll add that, I'm 6'4" and I drove up in my 2013 S350. In comparison the EQS was a lot tighter in the driver's seat. I found the door seat controls not great in that they hardly moved and there was no thigh support extender that I could find. I guess I was sitting low in my test 450 because I couldn't see the hood at all. I had a great view of the windsheld washer jets and then the road above them. Back seat leg room was great but the seat cushion felt small and my head did not fit. I had to slouch down a lot to fit back there. Definitely a back breaker on a long drive.

I came away a bit disappointed. It is Mercedes' version of a Tesla Model S, not the electric S class that I was expecting. On the ride home, I really marvelled at how much more luxurious (and roomy!) my 9 year old car felt.
The following 2 users liked this post by SnowCub:
B.Regard (11-06-2021), Tjdehya (11-06-2021)
Old 11-06-2021, 11:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 CLS550 4MATIC
Well, I just had my test drive of the EQS today in Portland, and I have mixed feeling. I own both a 2012 CLS550 and a 2016 P100D, so I was curious as to how the EQS was going to feel.

First, I actually like the way the car looks on the outside. It doesn't snap my head around, but it has an understated elegance to it that seems to especially fit the Pacific NW. I have to agree with prior comments that the dark colors looked significantly better. I saw a YouTube video of the car in white, and I thought that color looked great on the video, but the dark blue model I saw today was stunning. Way better looking than the white IMO. The interior is also gorgeous. I would have loved to see a Napa leather interior, especially with the gray/blue Manufaktur leather, but the testers were all fairly basic without any options.

The folks running the event were very nice, but the person in the car with me didn't know the route, and so I was focused on figuring out where to go for much of the drive and didn't have much time to explore the features of the car. In Portland, there is no highway driving, so I couldn't use Distronic/Steering Assist/etc. I very much wanted to try those out and compare with Autosteer (a feature I use all the time).

The driving experience of the car was nice, but I was somewhat underwhelmed to be honest. I have spent the past few years thinking that it made no sense for me to have bought the P100D. I almost never launch my car, and I drive fairly sedately most of the time. At least I thought I did. I thought the 4.1s 0-60 wouldn't feel that different from the P100D, but boy was I wrong. Apparently, I havebecome used to the power of the Tesla, and so I was bit surprised with the feel of the EQS. Don't get me wrong, the ride quality was fantastic, and the car feels powerful with an incredibly smooth delivery of that power. I was just unaware how accustomed I've become to the Tesla's raw torque. Also, the regenerative braking of the EQS was odd. I set it immediatey to maximum regeneration, but unlike the Tesla, the regen doesn't engage the instant you lift off the accelerator. There seemed to be a very tiny lag before it kicks in, and I didn't like the way the brake pedal moved when the regen kicked in. I suspect this unease would abate with time and practice, though, simply because it is a different approach from the Tesla.

The HyperScreen is lovely, and the car feels much more cocoon like and less open than the Model S. I did, however, notice several oddities/glitches in the car. The MB rep that drove with me couldn't get the doors to open when we first arrived to the car -- it took her several tries to open the door. This was after the door handles had extended. And when using the media player, I would press pause and there would be a second or so delay from when the button was pressed and when it would respond, so I ended up pressing it again which then led to me actually unpausing the audio due to the delay. And it was not a minor delay - the responsiveness of the screen was sadly a bit of an issue. I also had a difficult time opening and closing the sunroof cover with the capacative swipe button on the roof.

I really wish I had an hour or two alone with the car to really get a feel for it. Before I bought my Tesla, the manager at Tesla drove a P90D to my house one morning and then let me use it overnight. I had absolutely no plans to buy a car, but that test drive converted me. I'm glad MB is doing these experiences, but they are short and it is hard to get a real feel for the car. My test drive was almost entirely focused on the ambient lighting (which is amazing, btw) and the odd synthesized driving sound (less amazing). There was no highway driving, and the cars didn't have the optional sound insulation package (at least I think they didn't), so I could not test out some of the features that are really important to me - quietness on Oregon's ridiculously loud highways and the MB-equivalent to Autosteer.

I was fairly convinced the EQS 580 would be my next car, but now I'm not so sure. I may have to try it again, but part of me is thinking I may need to wait for the EQE AMG variant. I don't think I'll want to spend the $ needed to step up to the EQS 53, so maybe the EQE AMG will be the right fit. Or maybe even another Model S, although I've been leaning away from another Tesla due to the the Full Self Driving shenanigans.

I'm really glad I got a chance to experience the EQS. My experience was mixed, but the car really is stunning on the inside. I am excited there are finally options emerging in the higher end EV space. I wish Tesla could incorporate more of the interior beauty and luxury of MB, and I wish MB would have given the EQS a bit of the oomph of the Tesla. That power may not be as "refined," but the beauty of electric motors is that one can create an unlimited number of driving modes with just a few lines of code, so refined and less-refined modes can be created with ease.

I hope this analysis is helpful to some of you out there, and I highly encourage anyone with access to one of these experiences to take advantage. I've really enjoyed reading the experiences of others on the forum here.

The following 3 users liked this post by Ohji:
js_cls (11-06-2021), kp117 (11-08-2021), syswei (11-07-2021)
Old 11-07-2021, 06:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 401 Likes on 281 Posts
23 EQS 580 SUV, 19 X7 (sold), 17/14 GLS550 (sold) 13 GL550 (sold)
Originally Posted by Ohji
Well, I just had my test drive of the EQS today in Portland, and I have mixed feeling. I own both a 2012 CLS550 and a 2016 P100D, so I was curious as to how the EQS was going to feel.

First, I actually like the way the car looks on the outside. It doesn't snap my head around, but it has an understated elegance to it that seems to especially fit the Pacific NW. I have to agree with prior comments that the dark colors looked significantly better. I saw a YouTube video of the car in white, and I thought that color looked great on the video, but the dark blue model I saw today was stunning. Way better looking than the white IMO. The interior is also gorgeous. I would have loved to see a Napa leather interior, especially with the gray/blue Manufaktur leather, but the testers were all fairly basic without any options.

The folks running the event were very nice, but the person in the car with me didn't know the route, and so I was focused on figuring out where to go for much of the drive and didn't have much time to explore the features of the car. In Portland, there is no highway driving, so I couldn't use Distronic/Steering Assist/etc. I very much wanted to try those out and compare with Autosteer (a feature I use all the time).

The driving experience of the car was nice, but I was somewhat underwhelmed to be honest. I have spent the past few years thinking that it made no sense for me to have bought the P100D. I almost never launch my car, and I drive fairly sedately most of the time. At least I thought I did. I thought the 4.1s 0-60 wouldn't feel that different from the P100D, but boy was I wrong. Apparently, I havebecome used to the power of the Tesla, and so I was bit surprised with the feel of the EQS. Don't get me wrong, the ride quality was fantastic, and the car feels powerful with an incredibly smooth delivery of that power. I was just unaware how accustomed I've become to the Tesla's raw torque. Also, the regenerative braking of the EQS was odd. I set it immediatey to maximum regeneration, but unlike the Tesla, the regen doesn't engage the instant you lift off the accelerator. There seemed to be a very tiny lag before it kicks in, and I didn't like the way the brake pedal moved when the regen kicked in. I suspect this unease would abate with time and practice, though, simply because it is a different approach from the Tesla.

The HyperScreen is lovely, and the car feels much more cocoon like and less open than the Model S. I did, however, notice several oddities/glitches in the car. The MB rep that drove with me couldn't get the doors to open when we first arrived to the car -- it took her several tries to open the door. This was after the door handles had extended. And when using the media player, I would press pause and there would be a second or so delay from when the button was pressed and when it would respond, so I ended up pressing it again which then led to me actually unpausing the audio due to the delay. And it was not a minor delay - the responsiveness of the screen was sadly a bit of an issue. I also had a difficult time opening and closing the sunroof cover with the capacative swipe button on the roof.

I really wish I had an hour or two alone with the car to really get a feel for it. Before I bought my Tesla, the manager at Tesla drove a P90D to my house one morning and then let me use it overnight. I had absolutely no plans to buy a car, but that test drive converted me. I'm glad MB is doing these experiences, but they are short and it is hard to get a real feel for the car. My test drive was almost entirely focused on the ambient lighting (which is amazing, btw) and the odd synthesized driving sound (less amazing). There was no highway driving, and the cars didn't have the optional sound insulation package (at least I think they didn't), so I could not test out some of the features that are really important to me - quietness on Oregon's ridiculously loud highways and the MB-equivalent to Autosteer.

I was fairly convinced the EQS 580 would be my next car, but now I'm not so sure. I may have to try it again, but part of me is thinking I may need to wait for the EQE AMG variant. I don't think I'll want to spend the $ needed to step up to the EQS 53, so maybe the EQE AMG will be the right fit. Or maybe even another Model S, although I've been leaning away from another Tesla due to the the Full Self Driving shenanigans.

I'm really glad I got a chance to experience the EQS. My experience was mixed, but the car really is stunning on the inside. I am excited there are finally options emerging in the higher end EV space. I wish Tesla could incorporate more of the interior beauty and luxury of MB, and I wish MB would have given the EQS a bit of the oomph of the Tesla. That power may not be as "refined," but the beauty of electric motors is that one can create an unlimited number of driving modes with just a few lines of code, so refined and less-refined modes can be created with ease.

I hope this analysis is helpful to some of you out there, and I highly encourage anyone with access to one of these experiences to take advantage. I've really enjoyed reading the experiences of others on the forum here.
Thanks for the review. Did you drive a 450+ or the 580 or both?
Old 11-07-2021, 11:04 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 CLS550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by JoeMa
Thanks for the review. Did you drive a 450+ or the 580 or both?
Sorry - I should have mentioned that I only drove the 580.
Old 11-07-2021, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,580 Likes on 978 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Apparently Lucid has opened a store in the DMV area at Tysons' Corner. I'm definitely gonna have to visit next weekend and hopefully get some interior comparisons to the new EQS when MB finally brings the test drives to DC (hopefully within the next month).
Old 11-07-2021, 03:42 PM

Received 130 Likes on 93 Posts
2023 Maybach GLS600, 2023 Bentley Bentayga, 2023 Genesis GV60, 2017 AMG GLS63
I test drove an EQS 450+ a few days ago at my local upper-end outdoor mall. The event was staffed by at least 16 dressed-all-black Mercedes reps, who follow the caravan to the major cities.
We (the rep rides with you) jumped right in and started to proceed along our route, but when I asked if it included any highway time, since we were right next to I-5, he said "no, but I can tell you're an upstanding guy so you can go wherever you'd like as long as we're back in 15 minutes." So in a mix of busy city and highway roads, I was able to test it at low and freeway speeds, including some full-throttle acceleration and full-brake stops. I played with the three levels of regen, which were noticeably different. I checked out the 10-degree rear steering, which I loved, reminding me of my 1988 Honda Prelude Si 4WS. I left the Burmester (mispronounced by my rep as Burmeister) silent. The ambient lighting is turned up to 11 in this car; it's everywhere. The artificial acceleration sound was annoying. The ride was dreamy/floaty even in Sport, but I'm an AMG guy. The driver's seat felt cramped since my head touched the headliner with the seat lowered all the way and as far back as I could go and still reach the pedals (I'm 6'3"), and I've never had an issue in my other four S-Klassen. I don't dig the capacitant touch seat controls. The hatchback trunk is very narrow. The "zero layer" UI was pretty quick, and fairly intuitive, but I spent little time with it. The overall interior was nicely done. The passenger's screen is right next to the infotainment screen, and I'm not sure the $7K Hyperscreen is worth the bragging rights. The exterior was meh, neither exciting nor prestigious, but the slippery Cd ekes every watt out of the battery. I can't say it looked better in any of the colors. I'm excited about our electrified future, but I left feeling uninterested in a second lengthier drive at my dealership. I sure hope I love the forthcoming AMG EQS SUV in a couple years.

A mix of 450+ and 580, some AMG line.

Last edited by jbattan; 11-08-2021 at 09:30 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by jbattan:
Holson (11-09-2021), JoeMa (11-07-2021), Soulman (11-08-2021)
Old 11-08-2021, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
DC registration is open, will hopefully get some good impressions behind the wheel, and maybe get to see my dealer’s demo car if it arrives before then. Also plan on checking out Lucid which is in the same shopping center as the EQS event.
Old 11-08-2021, 08:50 PM

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Jaguar XKRS, Audi S8, Chevrolet Z06, Tesla Model S, Mercedes S63 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by js_cls
DC registration is open, will hopefully get some good impressions behind the wheel, and maybe get to see my dealer’s demo car if it arrives before then. Also plan on checking out Lucid which is in the same shopping center as the EQS event.
Thanks for letting us know, I have been waiting for DC to open up. I just signed up and I also plan to visit the Lucid showroom. Tyson's mall also has a Tesla showroom. Wave of the future, shop for cars while you shop for boxers. Will not be able to test drive either in the stores, but you can look and order via the website.
Old 11-09-2021, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
Originally Posted by bnzvett
Thanks for letting us know, I have been waiting for DC to open up. I just signed up and I also plan to visit the Lucid showroom. Tyson's mall also has a Tesla showroom. Wave of the future, shop for cars while you shop for boxers. Will not be able to test drive either in the stores, but you can look and order via the website.
LOL Hope you don't test drive or try on your boxers before you buy!
bnzvett (11-09-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
For anyone in the DC area, Euro Bethesda has received their EQS580 demo car and apparently it is available for test drives.
kp117 (11-11-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by JoeMa
How soon are the EQS demos to show up at dealerships? Weeks, months?
I just posted this in another thread, but I just spoke to Euro Motorcars in Bethesda MD. They have one 450 and one 580 available for test drives (by appointment only). I have an apt on Saturday.
Old 11-13-2021, 07:49 PM

I just posted this in another thread, but I just spoke to Euro Motorcars in Bethesda MD. They have one 450 and one 580 available for test drives (by appointment only). I have an apt on Saturday.
My wife and I went on a test drive today at Euro Motorcars in Bethesda MD. The salesman was terrific, he actually new more about the vehicle than I did, which is a first for me. I drove the 580. There were a couple of folks looking, but apparently there wasn't a lot of appointments scheduled for test drives today.

There were a couple of items I noticed that seem to bother others but didn't bother me as much.
Glare on the hyperscreen: I noticed there was quite a bit of glare due to the way the screen is tilted, but as I drove it didn't really bother me. I really don't spend as much time looking down at the screens as I may have thought.
Blended regen: I noticed the brake feel was different from my Tesla when set it to high regen, but again, after driving for a while didn't really concern me at all.
Driving modes: When switching from comfort to sport, I noticed a change in the sound, but not much else. Not as quick as the Tesla, but I expected that.
Vehicle appearance: I was not as turned off as others by the vehicle's outside appearance, I will spend most of my time on the inside, which I loved. Although I did notice that while driving through the busy streets of Bethesda, no one I passed gave the car a second look. When driving my S 63 AMG, I would get people pulling up next to me on the highway and giving a thumbs up. I have been parked and come out of a store or restaurant and saw people taking pictures. Will not be an issue with this car.
Interior space: The car has plenty of space for me, but I noticed the interior was not as spacious as it appears on the videos. I was a lot closer to my wife setting in the passenger seat than the wide outside appearance would suggest.

I didn't play with the features during the test drive because I was more concerned with evaluating the ride. So on a positive note, which is the most important for me, I have never owned or driven a vehicle as quiet or smooth. In the past I have owned several large luxury sedans, including a Lexus LS 460, a couple of Cadillac Sevilles, and an Audi S8. None of those came close to how smooth and quiet this ride was. I would actually be concerned about driving this car on a long trip by myself, I would probably fall asleep. Maybe this is normal for a Mercedes S class sedan, but the only Mercedes I have every owned was an S class 2 door AMG S63. I would suspect that the AMG S63 had tighter suspension tuning than the normal S class so it didn't come close to the EQS either. I would be interested in seeing how it compares to a normal 2021 or 2022 ICE S class. Has any forum members driven both?

Bottom line is I'm impressed enough to buy one. Even my wife liked it and she is not a car person at all. Now the issue is how much am I willing to pay. The salesman said that all the US allocations are already spoken for this year (2022 MY). If you get on a list now at any dealership you are most likely getting in line for a 2023. The main issue is that his dealership is still trying to determine how much ADM to add. He is thinking that it may be about 20K for the 480 and about 50K for the 580. Right now I just can't see myself doing that. I have only paid MSRP twice, 2015 Corvette Z06 and my 2018 Tesla Model S. Never paid over. Looks like I will just have to wait. The only concern is that Mercedes may get tired of the dealerships making all this extra profit and decided that if folks are willing to pay 180K for a 580, why not just raise the MSRP so they can get some of that profit.

I'm still scheduled for a test drive at Tysons and I will go just to see if they have different vehicles (options and colors). I also received a message that Mercedes of Chantilly VA has now received their demo vehicle. This is close to home so I may go take a look at that one also.
The following 2 users liked this post by bnzvett:
js_cls (11-13-2021), Soulman (11-14-2021)
Old 11-13-2021, 07:55 PM

Didn't take tons of pictures because I really wasn't impressed with this color. Will take more next time.

js_cls (11-13-2021)
Old 11-13-2021, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
My wife and I went on a test drive today at Euro Motorcars in Bethesda MD. The salesman was terrific, he actually new more about the vehicle than I did, which is a first for me. I drove the 580. There were a couple of folks looking, but apparently there wasn't a lot of appointments scheduled for test drives today.

There were a couple of items I noticed that seem to bother others but didn't bother me as much.
Glare on the hyperscreen: I noticed there was quite a bit of glare due to the way the screen is tilted, but as I drove it didn't really bother me. I really don't spend as much time looking down at the screens as I may have thought.
Blended regen: I noticed the brake feel was different from my Tesla when set it to high regen, but again, after driving for a while didn't really concern me at all.
Driving modes: When switching from comfort to sport, I noticed a change in the sound, but not much else. Not as quick as the Tesla, but I expected that.
Vehicle appearance: I was not as turned off as others by the vehicle's outside appearance, I will spend most of my time on the inside, which I loved. Although I did notice that while driving through the busy streets of Bethesda, no one I passed gave the car a second look. When driving my S 63 AMG, I would get people pulling up next to me on the highway and giving a thumbs up. I have been parked and come out of a store or restaurant and saw people taking pictures. Will not be an issue with this car.
Interior space: The car has plenty of space for me, but I noticed the interior was not as spacious as it appears on the videos. I was a lot closer to my wife setting in the passenger seat than the wide outside appearance would suggest.

I didn't play with the features during the test drive because I was more concerned with evaluating the ride. So on a positive note, which is the most important for me, I have never owned or driven a vehicle as quiet or smooth. In the past I have owned several large luxury sedans, including a Lexus LS 460, a couple of Cadillac Sevilles, and an Audi S8. None of those came close to how smooth and quiet this ride was. I would actually be concerned about driving this car on a long trip by myself, I would probably fall asleep. Maybe this is normal for a Mercedes S class sedan, but the only Mercedes I have every owned was an S class 2 door AMG S63. I would suspect that the AMG S63 had tighter suspension tuning than the normal S class so it didn't come close to the EQS either. I would be interested in seeing how it compares to a normal 2021 or 2022 ICE S class. Has any forum members driven both?

Bottom line is I'm impressed enough to buy one. Even my wife liked it and she is not a car person at all. Now the issue is how much am I willing to pay. The salesman said that all the US allocations are already spoken for this year (2022 MY). If you get on a list now at any dealership you are most likely getting in line for a 2023. The main issue is that his dealership is still trying to determine how much ADM to add. He is thinking that it may be about 20K for the 480 and about 50K for the 580. Right now I just can't see myself doing that. I have only paid MSRP twice, 2015 Corvette Z06 and my 2018 Tesla Model S. Never paid over. Looks like I will just have to wait. The only concern is that Mercedes may get tired of the dealerships making all this extra profit and decided that if folks are willing to pay 180K for a 580, why not just raise the MSRP so they can get some of that profit.

I'm still scheduled for a test drive at Tysons and I will go just to see if they have different vehicles (options and colors). I also received a message that Mercedes of Chantilly VA has now received their demo vehicle. This is close to home so I may go take a look at that one also.
Thanks for the great first impressions. I am still awaiting my local dealer to get their 580, they seem to think they will be getting there's by the end of November and at worst early December, I'm in no rush (since I'm more interested in the EQE) but am very curious to get behind the wheel considering my very limited EV experience. Having driven the new S-Class on multiple occasions and on road trips, I should be able to make a pretty good comparison between the two when I do get behind the wheel, which of course I will post here.
Old 11-13-2021, 09:28 PM

Wow. I’m just amazed at dealers getting 50k over MSRP for a 580 or should I say someone willing to pay 50 k over list. I put a deposit for a 580 on June 1 with my dealer whom I have bought 5 cars from previously. I was told I would get car at list price. I am 7th on his list so hopefully will get a MY22. If not my S 560 will do just fine.
JoeMa (11-13-2021)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EQS Test Drives coming to select cities. Register now.