EQS EQS (V297) sedan

EQS Test Drives coming to select cities. Register now.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2021, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Air Force

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
EQS Test Drives coming to select cities. Register now.

https://www.mercedeseqtestdrive.com/...08cadc/summary

Last edited by E55 KEV; 10-02-2021 at 10:21 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by E55 KEV:
Glowering (11-06-2021), kp117 (10-02-2021), MBNUT1 (10-02-2021), Tjdehya (10-04-2021)

Popular Reply

10-23-2021, 01:26 PM
stealth.pilot
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 853 Likes on 547 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
I was able to get the test drive of the EQS580 this morning. I showed up 2 hours late since I had the family photo shoot. They were super nice and accommodating.

Most of the cars are 450 models but since I had ordered the 580 they made sure I got to drive the 580.

I LOVE THIS CAR.

Was amazing to drive. Incredibly smooth but also very sporty. Felt almost as sporty as my previous $218k Porsche Panamera Turbo S. And actually I likes this car a lot more than the Panamera.

A few highlights:
1) Superb ride quality. Like a magic carpet.
2) Handles really well. I took it on a curvy road and I was impressed with the traction, the lack of body roll and the general grip. It felt more like the Porsche than the E63 in that it was very responsive and had good feel, but not at the expense of ride quality.
3) The steering feels silky smooth. This is the smoothest steering feel of any car I have ever experienced. It is truly remarkable.
4) Love the hyperscreen. It’s was very responsive and well implemented. Navigation is intuitive. Much faster than previous MBUX products. Wireless CarPlay with largest CarPlay display ever.
5) The car looks great. I thought white and black looked best. Especially Black. Not a fan of silver. They didn’t have matte gray which is what I ordered. It isn’t Porsche beautiful but it is a good looking car. Looks expensive.
6). Range seems like it may be better than EPA. The car I was driving had 82% charge and estimated remaining range of 358 miles. So that implies a range of 436 miles.
7) These cars were Premium Trim (base trim) so I was surprised there were pillows on the rear headrests. They told me that is standard and not just on the Pinnacle.
8) The design of the dash and center console looks great. I like the open storage under the center console. It is the ideal spot for putting a handbag if you are a woman, or putting your lunch if you picked something up at a drive through. My wife usually has to put her handbag on the floor where it slides around and that is not an appropriate solution for a Chanel or Hermes handbag. So this design is a big win IMO regardless of what Streamliner thinks.
9) Simulated Engine Sound is not my thing. It almost makes the car sound like an AMG engine. I turned it off completely, and the car was much better with the silent power.
10) Regen braking is good - at least as good as Tesla, but better if you have different tastes. I tried all the Regen settings including the intelligent setting. My favorite setting was the maximum Regen setting which is very similar to what you experience with Tesla. With the intelligent Regen setting I found that it didn't react to a red traffic light - not sure why, but I thought that was sub optimal so I turned it off. I generally prefer predictable regeneration than variable intelligent regeneration.

Old 10-06-2021, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,768 Likes on 2,152 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
I’m actually booked for one of these events this afternoon, in Newport Beach, CA. I’ll report later today. Looking forward to it, as I’ve never driven an electric car before.
The following 2 users liked this post by Streamliner:
JoeMa (10-06-2021), kp117 (10-06-2021)
Old 10-06-2021, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Air Force

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
Originally Posted by Streamliner
I’m actually booked for one of these events this afternoon, in Newport Beach, CA. I’ll report later today. Looking forward to it, as I’ve never driven an electric car before.
Have fun. Enjoy.
Old 10-06-2021, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Just came back from the test drive in a 450. Nice, quiet drive, interrupted only by the less than forgiving and somewhat noisy run flat tires. If I got an EQS, those would be swapped out on day one. This car does NOT feel like an S Class. It feels smaller and less spacious inside. The smoothness of the silent propulsion is a bit intoxicating, but pretty much everything else about the car was unexciting, at least to me. The view through the rear window was not great, as I feel the window is too small. And then, there is the 500 pound gorilla in the cabin: the huge touchscreen, which really seems to take a lot away from what could have been a fabulous cockpit arrangement.

They had this huge trailer, which was mostly empty. The person I drove with knew less about the car than I do, which means they knew almost nothing. When I got in my S560 to drive home, I looked at the dash, with the buttons and the Burl Walnut trim with a new appreciation for the design and execution. I don’t think there will be an EQS in my garage anytime soon.

The following 3 users liked this post by Streamliner:
Germancar1 (10-08-2021), kp117 (10-06-2021), Wolfman (10-08-2021)
Old 10-06-2021, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 252 Likes on 159 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Did they offer you a test drive in the 580? How long did you get to drive it? Was it a pre-planned route or did you just take it out and bring it back when you were done?
What do you feel has carried over from an S-Class, in what ways did it feel like an S-Class?
Thanks
The following users liked this post:
kp117 (10-06-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Tjdehya
Did they offer you a test drive in the 580? How long did you get to drive it? Was it a pre-planned route or did you just take it out and bring it back when you were done?
What do you feel has carried over from an S-Class, in what ways did it feel like an S-Class?
Thanks
All test drives were in the 450 model. One 580 was for display only.
15 minute drive over a pre-planned route.
I guess the seats were comfortable enough, but it’s hard to tell in 15 minutes. It would appear that the cockpit is similar, but felt more snug to me. Like the W223 S Class, the EQS has the pop out door handles, which I really dislike.
It really did not feel like an S Class to me and I’ve had four new ones in a row since 2013.
Tjdehya (10-07-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 11:27 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2022 Tesla Model S
I guess the seats were comfortable enough, but it’s hard to tell in 15 minutes. It would appear that the cockpit is similar, but felt more snug to me. Like the W223 S Class, the EQS has the pop out door handles, which I really dislike.
It really did not feel like an S Class to me and I’ve had four new ones in a row since 2013.
As a first time soon to be MB owner, I don't know how the pop out door handles work. Do they pop out upon walking up or do you have to touch them to get them to pop out? I would hope that they would simply pop out upon recognizing your approach. I'm currently in a Tesla Model X which has the comfort-style doors on it in which the driver's door opens upon approach. I personally find it annoying. If working in the garage or near the vehicle with my key in my pocket, the doors are constantly opening upon my approach.
Old 10-07-2021, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,587 Likes on 983 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by jackinhs
As a first time soon to be MB owner, I don't know how the pop out door handles work. Do they pop out upon walking up or do you have to touch them to get them to pop out? I would hope that they would simply pop out upon recognizing your approach. I'm currently in a Tesla Model X which has the comfort-style doors on it in which the driver's door opens upon approach. I personally find it annoying. If working in the garage or near the vehicle with my key in my pocket, the doors are constantly opening upon my approach.
Based on my experience with the W223 S-Class, the door handles pop out if the key is detected within a distance of the car as you walk forward towards the vehicle. The handles will stick out for a certain amount of time and if not opened/pulled on, will then retract. During that time, if you are still nearby the vehicle and haven't walked away after they have retracted, you will need to swipe/hit unlock on the key fob to pop them out again. If you walk away and then walk back after a certain time period the handles will pop out once again automatically. The EQS will also have comfort doors similar to the Model X as an option (limited availably due to chip shortage).

If you work near the car or leave the keys near it, the best approach is to always lock the vehicle so the electronics can properly shut off.
Old 10-08-2021, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Can you comment a bit more on differences in feel versus S-Class?
- Did it feel smaller?
- Did it drive in a way that was more agile and sporty, vs floaty and luxurious?
- Did it feel lighter?
Old 10-08-2021, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 747 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Just came back from the test drive in a 450. Nice, quiet drive, interrupted only by the less than forgiving and somewhat noisy run flat tires. If I got an EQS, those would be swapped out on day one. This car does NOT feel like an S Class. It feels smaller and less spacious inside. The smoothness of the silent propulsion is a bit intoxicating, but pretty much everything else about the car was unexciting, at least to me. The view through the rear window was not great, as I feel the window is too small. And then, there is the 500 pound gorilla in the cabin: the huge touchscreen, which really seems to take a lot away from what could have been a fabulous cockpit arrangement.
The 450 had the W223 arrangement not the hyperscreen correct? Did you look at the hyperscreen in the 580 and did you like it?

Also as others have asked in what way did it not feel like an S Class? A review that I saw said that the electrical propulsion and the low CG made it an improved S Class.
Old 10-08-2021, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Can you comment a bit more on differences in feel versus S-Class?
- Did it feel smaller?
- Did it drive in a way that was more agile and sporty, vs floaty and luxurious?
- Did it feel lighter?
Yes, it did feel smaller, both inside and out. When exiting the driver’s seat, I found that the B Pillar was situated further towards the front, making my egress more difficult, which is something I really dislike.
Yes, from my very limited time behind the wheel, it did feel more nimble, compared to my S560. Honestly, it felt more like an E Class to me.
Yes, it definitely felt lighter.
AND, for an S Class wannabe, it was missing the icing on the cake: The little, 3-pointed star, on top of the hood, where all proper S Class sedans have them.

Old 10-08-2021, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Yes, it did feel smaller, both inside and out. When exiting the driver’s seat, I found that the B Pillar was situated further towards the front, making my egress more difficult, which is something I really dislike.
Yes, from my very limited time behind the wheel, it did feel more nimble, compared to my S560. Honestly, it felt more like an E Class to me.
Yes, it definitely felt lighter.
AND, for an S Class wannabe, it was missing the icing on the cake: The little, 3-pointed star, on top of the hood, where all proper S Class sedans have them.
I also wish it had the star on the hood. They should actually have had no grille and a star on the hood. That's the look that makes most sense on an electric Mercedes.

Will have to check out this B-pillar issue. People also say that is a big issue on the Taycan.

Other than that, the things you say seem good to me. I never liked the way an S-Class drives, so if it drives more like an E-Class or a BMW 7 series then that's a good thing.
Old 10-08-2021, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBNUT1
The 450 had the W223 arrangement not the hyperscreen correct? Did you look at the hyperscreen in the 580 and did you like it?

Also as others have asked in what way did it not feel like an S Class? A review that I saw said that the electrical propulsion and the low CG made it an improved S Class.
The 450 had the “iPad” center-stack screen. The 580 was filled with people the whole time I was there, so I never got in the car to see the hyperscreen. Anyone at the mall could get into it.

The electric drive did feel amazing, very smooth and stunningly quiet, which are two things I am a huge fan of. But, as a long time S Class driver, the rest of the car was disappointing and unexciting. The huge, open area, under the center console, reminded me of an old Lexus SUV my daughter used to have. The little, itty-bitty, doorsill plates reminded me of something along the lines of a C Class. The ventilation vents across the top of the dash seemed so utterly utilitarian and so lacking of any design that one might consider “luxurious.” It is very evident that corners were cut, to shave weight everywhere and to make this thing as light and as slippery as possible, resulting in a vehicle that just doesn’t cut it for me personally. Oh well.

Last edited by Streamliner; 10-08-2021 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-08-2021, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
I also wish it had the star on the hood. They should actually have had no grille and a star on the hood. That's the look that makes most sense on an electric Mercedes.

Will have to check out this B-pillar issue. People also say that is a big issue on the Taycan.

Other than that, the things you say seem good to me. I never liked the way an S-Class drives, so if it drives more like an E-Class or a BMW 7 series then that's a good thing.
I ordered my 2013 W221 with ABC and my 2015, 2018 and 2020 W222’s all with MBC. These very sophisticated suspension systems, to me, make all the difference in the world, as to how these big cars ride and handle. They all were ordered with 18” wheels and refitted with my favorite Bridgestone, non-run flat tires. My current S560 is “THE” best riding, most comfortable car I have ever ridden in.
Old 10-08-2021, 11:34 AM

Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts
Alfa 159
Id rather stick pins in my eyes then EVER drive an EV!!.....I know they are the futures (sales of new ICE car will be illegal in the UK in just over 8 years....gulp) but Ill stick with gas......its a living breathing thing.....not a soulless transportation device. Ill drive an EV when they force the keys to my ICE cars out of my hands at gunpoint!!! Looks pretty though and I admire the amount of clever tech they have crammed into it.....lets just hope it stays working for a while.....does not look cheap to fix!
Old 10-08-2021, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
It is very evident that corners were cut, to shave weight everywhere and to make this thing as light and as slippery as possible, resulting in a vehicle that just doesn’t cut it for me personally. Oh well.
You're joking right? The EQS weighs ~5600/5900lbs (450+/580), literally 1,000 whole pounds more than each equivalent S500 and S580, and close to three tons, there is no such thing as "light weight" for this vehicle or even trying to cut corners for weight.
Old 10-08-2021, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by js_cls
You're joking right? The EQS weighs ~5600/5900lbs (450+/580), literally 1,000 whole pounds more than each equivalent S500 and S580, and close to three tons, there is no such thing as "light weight" for this vehicle or even trying to cut corners for weight.
I didn’t say it was a lightweight. To me, the overall design shows that weight saving was practiced to the hilt, resulting in some features looking a bit ridiculous, at least to me. The center air vent stands out as one.
Old 10-08-2021, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 747 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Again you drove the 450 without the hyperscreen correct? Wouldn't your comment also be true for the W223?
Old 10-08-2021, 05:04 PM
eqs

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
EQS 580 4MATIC
It's possible for it to be heavier than the S class while still using less heavy interiors, because the battery weighs well over 1000 lbs (for reference: Taycan's battery weighs 1400 lbs).
Old 10-08-2021, 10:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
taycan turbo
Originally Posted by ALFAitalia
Id rather stick pins in my eyes then EVER drive an EV!!.....I know they are the futures (sales of new ICE car will be illegal in the UK in just over 8 years....gulp) but Ill stick with gas......its a living breathing thing.....not a soulless transportation device. Ill drive an EV when they force the keys to my ICE cars out of my hands at gunpoint!!! Looks pretty though and I admire the amount of clever tech they have crammed into it.....lets just hope it stays working for a while.....does not look cheap to fix!
Have you ever tried driving an electric car? They are significantly more fun to drive then gas…
Old 10-09-2021, 03:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by paladin732
Have you ever tried driving an electric car? They are significantly more fun to drive then gas…
What makes them more fun?

M
Old 10-09-2021, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
I kind of think that EV's are perfect for this type of vehicle/class (luxury boats). While I wouldn't want an EV for my weekend roadster, a perfectly comfortable and quiet EV daily would make perfect sense.
MBNUT1 (10-09-2021)
Old 10-09-2021, 10:06 AM

taycan turbo
Originally Posted by Germancar1
What makes them more fun?

M
to me it’s the instant torque. When you hit the accelerator they just GO. It’s a bit delayed on gas cars. Acceleration is also a big one, however the EQS won’t have that compared to some others (Tesla, Lucid).

Try test driving a Tesla, or when available, a Lucid. Ignore the horrendous Tesla interior and just pay attention to the speediness.

my husband and I have been driving electric for about 7 years now, between plug in hybrids and pure electric. We have of course driven gas when renting or borrowing other folks cars and the difference is fairly dramatic to us.

(there is also something nice about never having to go to a gas station, and being able to just plug in in the clean, quiet of your home garage)
Old 10-09-2021, 10:32 AM

Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts
Alfa 159
Originally Posted by paladin732
A Tesla S in Ludicrous mode was without doubt the quickest accelerating car I've ever driven....quick to the point of scary....quick as in superbike quick. But too heavy to corner properly and, more importantly lacking any real character and soul. I don't think anything that heavy can ever really be fun. Some of most fun cars I've driven had much less power.....but a fraction of the weight...think Lotus Elise or Ariel Atom. Unless your idea of fun is going very fast in a straight line (I know that, and drag racing are much more of a "thing" in the USA)....but its not mine. Don't get me wrong it does not make them bad cars and I would never try and talk someone out of buying them (more fuel left for me!) but they are certainly not for me.....but to be honest no one ever bought an S Class of any vintage because of how they handle through the twisties!!!!......

@js_cls has it spot on....ideal for luxo barges and I think a near silent high torque EV engine in Rolls Royces etc would be a perfect combo........but for a fun DD?....I'll still to killing Pandas with my ICE cars!!!

Last edited by ALFAitalia; 10-09-2021 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-09-2021, 10:38 AM

taycan turbo
A Tesla S in Ludicrous mode was without doubt the quickest accelerating car I've ever driven....quick to the point of scary....quick as in superbike quick. But too heavy to corner properly and, more importantly lacking any real character and soul. I don't think anything that heavy can ever really be fun. Some of most fun cars I've driven had much less power.....but a fraction of the weight...think Lotus Elise or Ariel Atom. Unless your idea of fun is going very fast in a straight line (I know that, and drag racing are much more of a "thing" in the USA)....but its not mine. Don't get me wrong it does not make them bad cars and I would never try and talk someone out of buying them (more fuel left for me!) but they are certainly not for me.....but to be honest no one ever bought an S Class of any vintage because of how they handle through the twisties!!!!......

@js_cls has it spot on....ideal for luxo barges and I think a near silent high torque EV engine in Rolls Royces etc would be a perfect combo........but for a fun DD....I'll still to killing Pandas with my ICE cars!!!
Try a Taycan then. That is our current car (we sold our other when the pandemic began).
absurdly fast, instant torque, and handles corners fantastically. It drives significantly differently then it’s weight would imply

now it is also a dramatically different driving experience then an S class. It’s sporty. An S class merged with something like a Taycan would be fantastic, and that is hopefully what the EQS will be
MBNUT1 (10-09-2021)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EQS Test Drives coming to select cities. Register now.