EQS EQS (V297) sedan

Dealer markup $25 to $50k

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2022, 08:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB250; S550
Originally Posted by Highline-Autos.com
For everyone one of us here on the forum who follow prices and values, there are 10 lawyers, doctors, people with a lot of money that do not care, they just want to walk in the dealer and leave with a new car. People are paying the dealer markup, that is why they keep going higher.
We know. This is the only place we can detox peacefully .....and hopefully find people that can make the impossible, possible.
The following users liked this post:
Highline-Autos.com (01-05-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 08:42 PM

Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts
EQS 580
I just talked with my local dealer in Minneapolis. No deposit for EQS 580, my preliminary configuration entered in the ordering system, it will be processed as soon as they get a production slot. No ADM. This would be my third car from them. Other dealers in the area also confirmed no ADM for custom EQS orders - even if I never purchased from them.
Old 01-05-2022, 01:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
e320
Originally Posted by paladin732
he did.
he bought a Dream Edition Lucid Air. They are $170k retail. There is a huge difference between a product costing 170k and one costing 120k with 50k markup. If nothing else, resale.
170k for a rolling beta model? That's even more insane if you ask me. Lucid electronics are not 170k level, so what exactly are you paying for?
Same exact thing as Aston Martin. You pay 250k and get electronics several levels below cheaper cars.

Not to mention all of the lies that Lucid has been telling about the interior space being voluminous. Now that these cars are getting into the hands on regular people, who don't need press passes, it has been exposed that the rear seat room is no bigger than the Model S and a far cry from the EQS.

Never believe a company, especially one like Lucid, who says they've done what no other company has managed to do for centuries (E Class exterior dimensions and S Class interior room)

Last edited by kp117; 01-05-2022 at 01:38 AM.
BenjaminKohl (01-05-2022)
Old 01-05-2022, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,122 Likes on 734 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by Highline-Autos.com
For everyone one of us here on the forum who follow prices and values, there are 10 lawyers, doctors, people with a lot of money that do not care, they just want to walk in the dealer and leave with a new car. People are paying the dealer markup, that is why they keep going higher.
You don't get rich by being stupid with your money.
dtd (01-05-2022)
Old 01-05-2022, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 853 Likes on 547 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by kp117
170k for a rolling beta model? That's even more insane if you ask me. Lucid electronics are not 170k level, so what exactly are you paying for?
Same exact thing as Aston Martin. You pay 250k and get electronics several levels below cheaper cars.

Not to mention all of the lies that Lucid has been telling about the interior space being voluminous. Now that these cars are getting into the hands on regular people, who don't need press passes, it has been exposed that the rear seat room is no bigger than the Model S and a far cry from the EQS.

Never believe a company, especially one like Lucid, who says they've done what no other company has managed to do for centuries (E Class exterior dimensions and S Class interior room)
What you get with the Lucid Air Dream Edition is 1111hp which would be equivalent to an AMG EQE63. That model hasn't even be announced by Mercedes so we don't know where it will price. I agree though the Lucid is overpriced for an EQE sized car, with S-Class pricing.

Your perspective on electronics is somewhat valid. It isn't at level of cheaper cars, but Mercedes is the best in the business right now. I think the Lucid electronics are better than Porsche's based on my experience with it.
Old 01-05-2022, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
What you get with the Lucid Air Dream Edition is 1111hp which would be equivalent to an AMG EQE63. That model hasn't even be announced by Mercedes so we don't know where it will price. I agree though the Lucid is overpriced for an EQE sized car, with S-Class pricing.

Your perspective on electronics is somewhat valid. It isn't at level of cheaper cars, but Mercedes is the best in the business right now. I think the Lucid electronics are better than Porsche's based on my experience with it.
even the name of the company is an oxymoron "Lucid" only someone clearly "delusional" would spend 170k on a car from what amounts to a car company avatar. The market will soon shed companies like this like bad karma. You can't just 3D print a car out of just plastic. Thats why Mercedes and VW's first electric cars are fully baked cars instead of badly screwed together experiments. These guys KNOW how to build CARS. What powers them, gas, diesel, electricity hydrogen etc is secondary. They have supply chains worth 100s of billions from which to build whatever they wish, real stuff, unlike Tesla where most of the company's worth (though that is changing) is just imaginary stock.
Old 01-05-2022, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by c4004matic
even the name of the company is an oxymoron "Lucid" only someone clearly "delusional" would spend 170k on a car from what amounts to a car company avatar. The market will soon shed companies like this like bad karma. You can't just 3D print a car out of just plastic. Thats why Mercedes and VW's first electric cars are fully baked cars instead of badly screwed together experiments. These guys KNOW how to build CARS. What powers them, gas, diesel, electricity hydrogen etc is secondary. They have supply chains worth 100s of billions from which to build whatever they wish, real stuff, unlike Tesla where most of the company's worth (though that is changing) is just imaginary stock.
I think you are being a bit harsh here. From what I can tell the Lucid is actually excellent in build quality. The weaknesses are in software and minor trim items. I would expect software issues in the Mercedes too. People who bought the V167 GLE in the first 6 months also had similar issues.

BTW It is not true the Lucid people don't know how to build cars. Their Founder was chief engineer at Tesla, Lotus and Jaguar. Their head of manufacturing is a 24 year veteran of Audi. Their chief engineer was 18 years at VW and Tesla. Their head of digital was at Apple for 16 years and Intel for 5.

here is a good write-up from an early owner. My takeway was that it is not as smooth as buying an EQS, but it's not an unmitigated disaster like the Fisker Karma was.

https://lucidowners.com/threads/gene...ervations.305/

Last edited by stealth.pilot; 01-05-2022 at 10:50 AM.
places (01-05-2022)
Old 01-05-2022, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
I think you are being a bit harsh here. From what I can tell the Lucid is actually excellent in build quality. The weaknesses are in software and minor trim items. I would expect software issues in the Mercedes too. People who bought the V167 GLE in the first 6 months also had similar issues.

BTW It is not true the Lucid people don't know how to build cars. Their Founder was chief engineer at Tesla, Lotus and Jaguar. Their head of manufacturing is a 24 year veteran of Audi. Their chief engineer was 18 years at VW and Tesla. Their head of digital was at Apple for 16 years and Intel for 5.

here is a good write-up from an early owner. My takeway was that it is not as smooth as buying an EQS, but it's not an unmitigated disaster like the Fisker Karma was.

https://lucidowners.com/threads/gene...ervations.305/
Its a company that has never built anything, never mind a car! Its like getting heart surgery from a guy that took a correspondence course.
Remember DeLorean, Bricklin etc? It takes decades to build a car company regardless of how much money you have. The Saudis are known for throwing money into half baked projects and abandoning them just as quickly.

Last edited by c4004matic; 01-05-2022 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-05-2022, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Its a company that has never built anything, never mind a car! Its like getting heart surgery from a guy that took a correspondence course.
Remember DeLorean, Bricklin etc? It takes decades to build a car company regardless of how much money you have. The Saudis are known for throwing money into half baked projects and abandoning them just as quickly.
There is certainly some risk there, but this is not a delorean. It is more like a Tesla. In 2012 it was obvious to me that Tesla was solid. I made a killing on their stock. This feels more like that. Obviously there were people saying the same thing as you back then.

Plus buying a car is not heart surgery. If it turns out to be not as good as advertised you lose a few bucks, that's all. I think the guys who pay $50k markups for the EQS are also going to lose a few bucks. That said in the interim there is a car shortage. There will be no difficulty selling these Lucid cars. You can sell almost anything in the current market. I'm seeing buyback Porsche's selling quickly on autotrader.

The Delorean was a crap car. Like the Fisker Karma. I would be more worried about Fisker (the new rebooted one) and Polestar than these guys.
Old 01-05-2022, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,496 Likes on 987 Posts
No more MB:(
A fairly elementary outlook. The world has changed. No one saw Tesla coming, and yet look at them now. Personally I can't stand their cars and still not on the EV wagon but credit is due. As for Lucid, on one hand 170K is a lot of money, on the other hand it's not anymore, the market offerings are pretty thick in the 150-200 range. Really depends on who is buying. Particualry most of these cars are leased anyway.

As for Mercedes, they are having issues too as they are transitioning into high tech cars, mixed in with hybrid and full EV drives. MB is not what it used to be.
Old 01-05-2022, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Don't think Tesla is out of the woods yet. Good time to sell that stock😉
I have a friend that was an AOL millionaire, gotta know when to pull out!🤣
AppleFan1 (01-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 06:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
S550
Good points, but "the times are a changing" and newer car companies will compete with and sometimes replace the older ones.
Old 01-08-2022, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,890 Likes on 1,863 Posts
2024 S580
I spent some time in the EQS and the Lucid Air, didnt drive either but spent a good 30 minutes inside each, and I much prefer the Lucid. The EQS styling is ugly IMO, and the interior falls short of the S Class in many ways, and just feels awkward and strange, while the Lucid feels like a car.

The first dream editions are $170k, but the lower priced options are coming and with markups, the EQS is no cheaper.

Honestly...sitting in both I wouldn't even test drive the EQS over the Lucid.

And I would NOT sell your Tesla stock lol
Old 01-08-2022, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by SW20S
I spent some time in the EQS and the Lucid Air, didnt drive either but spent a good 30 minutes inside each, and I much prefer the Lucid. The EQS styling is ugly IMO, and the interior falls short of the S Class in many ways, and just feels awkward and strange, while the Lucid feels like a car.

The first dream editions are $170k, but the lower priced options are coming and with markups, the EQS is no cheaper.

I wouldnt buy either! As we are well aware essentially all so called luxury cars lose more than 50% of their value in 5 years. If you add 50 thousand bucks to that depreciation you are basically into negative territory! In effect an electric car will be a ten year disposable item since that is the projected lifetime of the original battery pack! Either that or batteries will have to be replaceable at a reasonable price for example 10 to 20k. Mercedes' "plan" is to recycle the batteries. We will see....
Old 01-08-2022, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 316 Likes on 216 Posts
2022 EQS580

Were you sitting on the EQS450 or the EQS580? To me, there's a big difference.
Old 01-08-2022, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
I wouldnt buy either! As we are well aware essentially all so called luxury cars lose more than 50% of their value in 5 years. If you add 50 thousand bucks to that depreciation you are basically into negative territory! In effect an electric car will be a ten year disposable item since that is the projected lifetime of the original battery pack! Either that or batteries will have to be replaceable at a reasonable price for example 10 to 20k. Mercedes' "plan" is to recycle the batteries. We will see....
Mercedes are usually 10 year disposable items. wholesale on a 10 year old s-class asunder 15k. That's pretty much fully depreciated.

Old 01-08-2022, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Mercedes are usually 10 year disposable items. wholesale on a 10 year old s-class asunder 15k. That's pretty much fully depreciated.
agreed
Old 01-08-2022, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580

while i agree the Lucid has a better looking exterior design, there are some significant drawbacks:
1) Dreamdrive (much of their driver's assistance software) is not currently available, which means no emergency braking, no adaptive cruise, etc. They say it will be out later this month, but as of today this is a big functionality gap.
2) No date set on when they will have adaptive cruise with steering assist (which Mercedes has been offering since 2015)
3) No Apple CarPlay or Android Auto - and no date on when this will be updated.

Apple Carplay and drivers assist are core functions at this price point.
The following 4 users liked this post by stealth.pilot:
AppleFan1 (01-08-2022), BenjaminKohl (01-10-2022), kp117 (01-08-2022), Wolfman (01-08-2022)
Old 01-08-2022, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,345 Likes on 2,065 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
while i agree the Lucid has a better looking exterior design, there are some significant drawbacks:
1) Dreamdrive (much of their driver's assistance software) is not currently available, which means no emergency braking, no adaptive cruise, etc. They say it will be out later this month, but as of today this is a big functionality gap.
2) No date set on when they will have adaptive cruise with steering assist (which Mercedes has been offering since 2015)
3) No Apple CarPlay or Android Auto - and no date on when this will be updated.

Apple Carplay and drivers assist are core functions at this price point.
Agreed. These are pretty significant gaps for the daily driving experience. We also have a reservation on the Air Touring but I am still impressed how Lucid can receive a Car of the year award when the car is still somewhat unfinished. My other concern are the reports of the car being noisy, the one area no other car can compete with the EQS.
AppleFan1 (01-08-2022)
Old 01-08-2022, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Anyone that spends that amount of cash for car that from a company that har never made anything needs his head examined.
Old 01-09-2022, 12:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,345 Likes on 2,065 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Anyone that spends that amount of cash for car that from a company that har never made anything needs his head examined.
You keep on repeating this but I have yet to read your detailed rationale. At this point the most significant issue I see is the parts supply chain for potential accident repairs and service network. The rest can be tested and validated.
Old 01-09-2022, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by Wolfman
You keep on repeating this but I have yet to read your detailed rationale. At this point the most significant issue I see is the parts supply chain for potential accident repairs and service network. The rest can be tested and validated.
Tested and validated takes years or decades, it takes experience. Again 170k is an idiotic amount for a mechanical device that is still little more than a beta. Even Tesla after a decade has horrible coachwork and embarrassing build quality and chronic reliability problems. Again a fools errand.
ua549 (01-09-2022)
Old 01-09-2022, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Duplicate.
Old 01-09-2022, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 830 Likes on 659 Posts
Wink

Perhaps Lucid will be noted for being a 21st century Yugo.
Old 01-09-2022, 09:32 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,422 Likes on 2,860 Posts
2012 CLS63
Any business owners here? Invite the salesmen/dealers to your business and charge them extra for anything they ask for

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dealer markup $25 to $50k