EQS EQS (V297) sedan

EQS vs Lucid Air

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 11:29 PM

Received 105 Likes on 72 Posts
2011 GL 350, P1 Package, HID headlamps, Blind spot assist, Parktronic, Wood steering wheel
EQS vs Lucid Air

I put in a deposit for an EQS 580 in September 2021. As of today, my dealer has no allocation, no idea when they will get an allocation, and I'm 5th in line. Earlier this week I saw that Mercedes had only delivered 443 EQSs in 2021, and I expect virtually all of these were 450s, which makes me not very hopeful of getting a car in 2022. Update, as of March 2022 I've moved up and am now first in line for the next allocation at my dealer, but I have no idea whether they are getting 580 allocations or what production time is.

After seeing this and reading that the lucid air received motor trend's 2022 car of the year, last week I put a deposit down on a lucid air grand touring As part of their process, you receive an email from a concierge who is responsible for keeping you involved during the buying process. According to concierge they are clearing orders for the high level trims fairly quickly and once they do the time from order confirmation to delivery is 2 to 4 months.

I actually think both vehicles look great, so I'm thinking of this as a fun race as to who can get me my new electric whip the fastest!

Lucid Air Grand TouringZenith Red, Tahoe Interior, 20” Aero Lite (Q2 2022 Availability) Wheels, Glass Canopy Roof and AWD Drivetrain

Last edited by ddruker; 03-05-2022 at 05:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ddruker:
chassis (01-11-2022), Five Spoker (01-22-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 847 Likes on 542 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by ddruker
I put in a deposit for an EQS 580 in September 2021. As of today, my dealer has no allocation, no idea when they will get an allocation, and I'm 5th in line. Earlier this week I saw that Mercedes had only delivered 443 EQSs in 2021, and I expect virtually all of these were 450s, which makes me not very hopeful of getting a car in 2022.

After seeing this and reading that the lucid air received motor trend's 2022 car of the year, last week I put a deposit down on a lucid air grand touring As part of their process, you receive an email from a concierge who is responsible for keeping you involved during the buying process. According to concierge they are clearing orders for the high level trims fairly quickly and once they do the time from order confirmation to delivery is 2 to 4 months.

I actually think both vehicles look great, so I'm thinking of this as a fun race as to who can get me my new electric whip the fastest!

Lucid Air Grand TouringZenith Red, Tahoe Interior, 20” Aero Lite (Q2 2022 Availability) Wheels, Glass Canopy Roof and AWD Drivetrain

Amazing. I am in the same boat, except I am next in line for the 580 allocation - I had three people ahead of me who have all got their allocations now.

I ordered the exact same Lucid build as you except with the 21" wheels. I am a bit torn on the Red vs Quantum Gray though. Some people tell me the Tahoe interior goes better with the Quantum Gray. I am a little hesitant about the Lucid though. I have been following the posts of a Lucid owner called Bill55 who has surfaced a lot of bugs relating to basic features. Here are a few links.

https://lucidowners.com/threads/gene...ervations.305/

https://lucidowners.com/threads/mobi...hicle-app.306/

https://lucidowners.com/threads/brig...obile-key.310/

https://lucidowners.com/threads/1000-mile-update.322/

My guess is they will iron these out within a year, but I would be hesitant to take delivery if they offered me one next month. Since your build is Q2 you may be okay. One thing I view as a requisite is they deliver the Apple CarPlay and ADAS release.
Old 01-11-2022, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,120 Likes on 732 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Don't expect a top trim Lucid either that was a "Limited" run and sold out months ago, that 1000hp 500 mile version was just a promotional gimmick.
Old 01-11-2022, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by c4004matic
Don't expect a top trim Lucid either that was a "Limited" run and sold out months ago, that 1000hp 500 mile version was just a promotional gimmick.
Yes the two of us above ordered the more reasonably priced Grand Touring model which is not limited and has 800hp and 516miles range.

That said, it is inevitable that Lucid will launch a triple motor model at some point which will bring back a 1000hp option. They are unlikely to leave Tesla with a monopoly in that space. It also won't surprise me if Mercedes bring out an AMG 63 version with three motors as well. There is a reason that the current AMG is an EQS53.
The following users liked this post:
Reefer36 (03-01-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,120 Likes on 732 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Yes the two of us above ordered the more reasonably priced Grand Touring model which is not limited and has 800hp and 516miles range.

That said, it is inevitable that Lucid will launch a triple motor model at some point which will bring back a 1000hp option. They are unlikely to leave Tesla with a monopoly in that space. It also won't surprise me if Mercedes bring out an AMG 63 version with three motors as well. There is a reason that the current AMG is an EQS53.
Thats a pretty safe assumption. Note, in the US its just branded AMG without a number. They didnt want to injure the AMGphiles pride by offering them "pseudoamg"🤣🤣🤣
Reefer36 (03-01-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 01:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,005 Likes on 3,147 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Nice looking car, the Lucid. What kind of recharge times are they stating? From a fully depleted battery to more than 80% full charge?

Last edited by chassis; 01-11-2022 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-11-2022, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by chassis
Nice looking car, the Lucid. What kind of recharge times are they staying? From a fully depleted battery to more than 80% full charge?
They claim it can add 300 miles range in 20 minutes.

Based on some reviews by the press using EA charging stations, people have seen the following
0 to 415 miles range (80%) takes 37 minutes
0 to 260 miles range (50%) takes 11 minutes
The following 2 users liked this post by stealth.pilot:
chassis (01-11-2022), Reefer36 (03-01-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,848 Likes on 1,828 Posts
2024 S580
Congrats! Did they give you any idea when you might take delivery? I was told the GT models would go into production Q3 iof this year
Old 01-11-2022, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,329 Likes on 2,058 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Our order is a Lucid Air Touring, Quantum Grey, Tahoe Interior, 21” Aero Blade Wheels, Glass Canopy Roof and AWD Drivetrain.

I received an email from the assigned Liaison named Kodie, but nothing in terms of timing yet or if there are dream editions available via cancellations.

Soulman (01-24-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 03:31 PM

2011 GL 350, P1 Package, HID headlamps, Blind spot assist, Parktronic, Wood steering wheel
My guess is they will iron these out within a year, but I would be hesitant to take delivery if they offered me one next month. Since your build is Q2 you may be okay. One thing I view as a requisite is they deliver the Apple CarPlay and ADAS release.
I live about 15 minutes from Lucid Air HQ - I just sent my concierge a note asking how to get a test drive scheduled, and how to see the various color combinations in person. I am an Android Auto guy - and I agree with you it's very important to have Android Auto or Apple Car Play working or imminent given the native apps are not getting the greatest reviews. My plan is to put many of the questions I've also read on the forum to Lucid Air staff when this happens.

Note my experience with my 2021 F150 has been pretty bad in regard to OTA updates - in a year they haven't pushed any material new functionality - despite marketing claims that the truck would be continuously updated. Similarly, with this discussion, I'd actually expect Lucid Air to be much more nimble with OTA updates than Mercedes - daily or weekly code pushes with new features is an entirely different software development mindset than the legacy OEMs are built around.
Ormond2004 (01-27-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfman
I received an email from the assigned Liaison named Kodie, but nothing in terms of timing yet or if there are dream editions available via cancellations.
Yep - Kodie is my guy too... I wonder if he is the only guy... It's so interesting we are all three in the exact same boat.

Here is the email I received from him yesterday:

Hi Dan,We are working our way through the Grand Touring reservations now to have folks place their orders.

Once you receive your invite and confirm your order it will take about 2-4 months for delivery.

You should receive your invite relatively soon.

Kodie Spearman | Headquarters Sales Advisor

7373 Gateway Blvd,Newark, CA 94560

direct: (510) 901-1171

office: (844) 367-3353

e: kodiespearman@lucidmotors.com
Wolfman (01-11-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

I live about 15 minutes from Lucid Air HQ - I just sent my concierge a note asking how to get a test drive scheduled, and how to see the various color combinations in person. I am an Android Auto guy - and I agree with you it's very important to have Android Auto or Apple Car Play working or imminent given the native apps are not getting the greatest reviews. My plan is to put many of the questions I've also read on the forum to Lucid Air staff when this happens.

Note my experience with my 2021 F150 has been pretty bad in regard to OTA updates - in a year they haven't pushed any material new functionality - despite marketing claims that the truck would be continuously updated. Similarly, with this discussion, I'd actually expect Lucid Air to be much more nimble with OTA updates than Mercedes - daily or weekly code pushes with new features is an entirely different software development mindset than the legacy OEMs are built around.
Tesla is doing the best job on OTA updates. Mercedes only did a few MBUX/Infotainment/Map updates but well (no issues at all) on our GLE and BMW requests that half the OTA updates are done in the shop for fear that they brick the car.
I saw that they just came out with the track package for the Plaid which should improve the handling quite a bit as it did for the Model 3. Too bad that car is severely under-braked which makes the car a risky proposition IMO.
Old 01-11-2022, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,963 Likes on 2,640 Posts
2019 C63CS
Here's my take on OTA updates. While it's nice to get new functionality over time, it also gives manufacturers a free pass to ship incomplete products. Tesla being the prime example of literally shipping betaware and fix it over time. Lucid Air now doing the same thing, shipping the cars with missing functionality and less than stellar implementation of the current features. Is that really what we want? Bug fixes is one thing, but daily and weekly software updates for a car? Really? What functionality are you gonna add this frequently to a car that is primarily meant to drive you from A to B, and otherwise sits around parked somewhere? If they have to push out updates at this frequency, I'd question the quality of the software to be honest. MB has pushed several OTA updates for MBUX and again, most of them were to fix things that should have worked properly from the factory. MBUX in my opinion was rushed to market. On the other hand I have NTG 5.5 COMAND in my current car and so far it has only received map updates and an update to address a recall for the eCall system. I have yet to find a bug in COMAND that needs to be fixed. There's something to be said about a mature product that doesn't need frequent updates.

Last edited by superswiss; 01-11-2022 at 04:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by superswiss:
kp117 (01-11-2022), MBNUT1 (01-11-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Amazing. I am in the same boat, except I am next in line for the 580 allocation - I had three people ahead of me who have all got their allocations now.

I ordered the exact same Lucid build as you except with the 21" wheels. I am a bit torn on the Red vs Quantum Gray though. Some people tell me the Tahoe interior goes better with the Quantum Gray. I am a little hesitant about the Lucid though. I have been following the posts of a Lucid owner called Bill55 who has surfaced a lot of bugs relating to basic features. Here are a few links.

https://lucidowners.com/threads/gene...ervations.305/

https://lucidowners.com/threads/mobi...hicle-app.306/

https://lucidowners.com/threads/brig...obile-key.310/

https://lucidowners.com/threads/1000-mile-update.322/

Thanks for the links. Annoying but at least nothing essential as breakdowns, braking, steering, blind spot detection. Absolutely agree on Apple CarPlay, this was a problem with our AMG GTC which didn't get CarPlay until 2020. We retrofitted a wireless CarPlay module for that...
Old 01-11-2022, 05:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
taycan turbo
Yep - Kodie is my guy too... I wonder if he is the only guy... It's so interesting we are all three in the exact same boat.

Here is the email I received from him yesterday:

Hi Dan,We are working our way through the Grand Touring reservations now to have folks place their orders.

Once you receive your invite and confirm your order it will take about 2-4 months for delivery.

You should receive your invite relatively soon.

Kodie Spearman | Headquarters Sales Advisor

7373 Gateway Blvd,Newark, CA 94560

direct: (510) 901-1171

office: (844) 367-3353

e: kodiespearman@lucidmotors.com
He is not. I have a Dream Edition on owner with a different person, and I know of a third person a friend has. So there are quite a few of them at the moment.
Old 01-11-2022, 06:25 PM

This thread really makes me wonder how many folks have ordered both the EQS 580 and the Lucid Air and are waiting to see which one to actually purchase... Or are any of you guys actually planning to take delivery of both?
Old 01-11-2022, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
This thread really makes me wonder how many folks have ordered both the EQS 580 and the Lucid Air and are waiting to see which one to actually purchase... Or are any of you guys actually planning to take delivery of both?
I am just taking delivery of one. At this point I prefer the EQS for reasons relating to it being a more complete product at launch.

however I can see a scenario where I get the Lucid and defer the EQS to the fall because it would suck to take delivery of a 2022 model in June when I can get a 2023 EQS in September. This sort of thing affects your depreciation curve on Mercedes cars.
Old 01-11-2022, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by superswiss
Here's my take on OTA updates. While it's nice to get new functionality over time, it also gives manufacturers a free pass to ship incomplete products. Tesla being the prime example of literally shipping betaware and fix it over time. Lucid Air now doing the same thing, shipping the cars with missing functionality and less than stellar implementation of the current features. Is that really what we want? Bug fixes is one thing, but daily and weekly software updates for a car? Really? What functionality are you gonna add this frequently to a car that is primarily meant to drive you from A to B, and otherwise sits around parked somewhere? If they have to push out updates at this frequency, I'd question the quality of the software to be honest. MB has pushed several OTA updates for MBUX and again, most of them were to fix things that should have worked properly from the factory. MBUX in my opinion was rushed to market. On the other hand I have NTG 5.5 COMAND in my current car and so far it has only received map updates and an update to address a recall for the eCall system. I have yet to find a bug in COMAND that needs to be fixed. There's something to be said about a mature product that doesn't need frequent updates.
I think it's a different approach to software/firmware. Our 2018 E63s was an April 2017 build date but launched as a MY18, units build in August and later had the updated Comand, track pace, interior LED designs (themes and multi-color, etc). Problem was nothing was updatable because everything was fixed firmware spread over several modules. Hardware swaps would have been required.
With MBUX, all this is software updatable and when new features and themes and functionality becomes available it is a free or paid update. I don't see how that relates to beta software. Comand has been long in the tooth for many years now and re-skinning it over the years didn't make it more functional either.
Old 01-11-2022, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,026 Likes on 744 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
I made this exact point to a Tesla fanboi when he said that they could use OTA updates to close the gap between the Tesla Plaid handling and the Taycan (which seems highly unlikely). I cited how they did a OTA on the model 3 braking after Consumer Reports gave them a spanking for poor performance which begged the question as to why the car wasn't set-up that way from the beginning.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 01-11-2022 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-11-2022, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by Wolfman
I think it's a different approach to software/firmware. Our 2018 E63s was an April 2017 build date but launched as a MY18, units build in August and later had the updated Comand, track pace, interior LED designs (themes and multi-color, etc). Problem was nothing was updatable because everything was fixed firmware spread over several modules. Hardware swaps would have been required.
With MBUX, all this is software updatable and when new features and themes and functionality becomes available it is a free or paid update. I don't see how that relates to beta software. Comand has been long in the tooth for many years now and re-skinning it over the years didn't make it more functional either.
Yes but to give you an example of the issue with Mercedes. When we took delivery of our 2020 GLE450 we were told by the dealer that Wireless CarPlay would be delivered later via an OTA update. Well that never happened. And this was an MBUX car.

interestingly we also considered the Cayenne and those guys did deliver the update.

Either way I don’t trust Mercedes to release any new features by OTA. They lied about it before.

that said you get most of the features up front so you aren’t as dependent on OTA

Last edited by stealth.pilot; 01-11-2022 at 10:15 PM.
Old 01-11-2022, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
I made this exact point to a Tesla fanboi when he said that they could use OTA updates to close the gap between the Tesla Plaid handling and the Taycan (which seems highly unlikely). I cited how they did a OTA on the model 3 braking after Consumer Reports gave them a spanking for poor performance which begged the question as to why the car wasn't set-up that way from the beginning.
Oh, you didn't know Tesla can send an army of nanorobots via OTA update that will build a new chassis and suspension...haha. Tesla has brake-by-wire and their implementation sucked so they fixed it when they got called out. The brake application is all controlled by actuators, so they can change their software to apply the brakes harder. They can certainly update the software that controls the air suspension, but the Plaid needs much more than updated software to match the Taycan's chassis.
MBNUT1 (01-12-2022)
Old 01-12-2022, 09:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Audi
count me in that group - both a Lucid and EQS on order.
eqs (02-20-2022)
Old 01-12-2022, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 818 Likes on 649 Posts
Does Lucid Motors fly in a technician and parts for warranty service or do they send a truck to collect the vehicle? Other than in California, Lucid dealers are very sparsely located. That alone would keep me from driving one even if it was free. I hate being stranded!
hlothery (02-20-2022)
Old 01-12-2022, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,026 Likes on 744 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Oh, you didn't know Tesla can send an army of nanorobots via OTA update that will build a new chassis and suspension...haha. Tesla has brake-by-wire and their implementation sucked so they fixed it when they got called out. The brake application is all controlled by actuators, so they can change their software to apply the brakes harder. They can certainly update the software that controls the air suspension, but the Plaid needs much more than updated software to match the Taycan's chassis.
My real point was if they are changing the software to improve the system performance of a given set hardware why wasn't the software that why to begin with, OTA gives them more of a "ship it , we'll get it fixed later" mindset.

I think OTA can be useful if they for example they hold back some battery margin until they get some field experience and then give folks some of it back later.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 01-12-2022 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-12-2022, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
My real point was if they are changing the software to improve the system performance of a given set hardware why wasn't the software that why to begin with, OTA gives them more of a "ship it , we'll get it fixed later" mindset.
Yes, that was my point also. It just encourages lazy product development under the guise of we keep updating it for you.
MBNUT1 (01-12-2022)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EQS vs Lucid Air