EQS EQS (V297) sedan

BUYER BEWARE! HV Battery Failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2022, 06:35 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Rivian R1T
Do you have any updates on this situation? Currently having a similar experience.
Old 03-02-2022, 06:45 PM

Received 442 Likes on 276 Posts
EQS 450+
Originally Posted by alexzz123
Do you have any updates on this situation? Currently having a similar experience.
Can you tell us something more specific about what is going on?
Old 03-02-2022, 06:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
2022 Mercedes GLS 450 and 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+
which issue? Took the car in after waiting 3 weeks for an appointment. The battery has been fine since that first incident. A recent “suspension” message was tied to a necessary reprogramming of the airmatic suspension.

the ambient lighting is still not right. Showed the service writer and tech. Now have to take it back again
Old 03-02-2022, 07:17 PM

Rivian R1T
Originally Posted by atlnguy
which issue? Took the car in after waiting 3 weeks for an appointment. The battery has been fine since that first incident. A recent “suspension” message was tied to a necessary reprogramming of the airmatic suspension.

the ambient lighting is still not right. Showed the service writer and tech. Now have to take it back again
When you had the Multiple system failures after charging it. Same thing just happened to me, had 53% on the car, plugged it in like usual. After an hour, got a notice on my phone that charging stopped working. Went to the car, unplugged it and got the "malfunction" warning.

When you took it into service, did they give you a reason why this happened?
Old 03-02-2022, 07:41 PM

Rivian R1T
Update: After two hours of leaving it alone it's working again! Drove it and as if nothing had happened. But the ambient light no longer works unless I say "hey Mercedes turn on Ambient lighting". What's the suspension issue?
Old 03-02-2022, 07:47 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
EQS 450+
I, too, had a battery malfunction error where the car was bricked (Prior to it being bricked, I had an error message saying that the car had an error and that performance would be severely restricted and to pull over. I turned off the car and turned it back on and was unable to move the car or even move it into neutral. It worked again after about an hour and I dropped it off at the dealer for them to look at it. They had it for several days to troubleshoot it,but did not find any issues. Because they could not replicate the issue and the battery was good for 20+ days, they released the car back to me. I haven't had the same issue since. They did report this to MBUSA.

Basically no one knows what is going on. I had them look at the 12 V battery and they said everything was fine:

This is what the dealer sent me: "12v battery passed xentry test. And state of charge is still good.MB looked at all the data with the battery I logged and found it good.”

So far it's not given me any trouble so I am hoping it was a one and done situation. Report back if you hear anything new.
Old 03-02-2022, 07:56 PM

Rivian R1T
Originally Posted by addio06
I, too, had a battery malfunction error where the car was bricked (Prior to it being bricked, I had an error message saying that the car had an error and that performance would be severely restricted and to pull over. I turned off the car and turned it back on and was unable to move the car or even move it into neutral. It worked again after about an hour and I dropped it off at the dealer for them to look at it. They had it for several days to troubleshoot it,but did not find any issues. Because they could not replicate the issue and the battery was good for 20+ days, they released the car back to me. I haven't had the same issue since. They did report this to MBUSA.

Basically no one knows what is going on. I had them look at the 12 V battery and they said everything was fine:

This is what the dealer sent me: "12v battery passed xentry test. And state of charge is still good.MB looked at all the data with the battery I logged and found it good.”

So far it's not given me any trouble so I am hoping it was a one and done situation. Report back if you hear anything new.

Is the ambient light still working or do you have to manually activate it?

Do you have the malfunction notification every time you turn it on? Or is the picture from the first time this happened?
Old 03-02-2022, 07:57 PM

When you had the Multiple system failures after charging it. Same thing just happened to me, had 53% on the car, plugged it in like usual. After an hour, got a notice on my phone that charging stopped working. Went to the car, unplugged it and got the "malfunction" warning.

When you took it into service, did they give you a reason why this happened?
They couldn’t find any error codes and basically said no idea.
Old 03-02-2022, 08:00 PM

Update: After two hours of leaving it alone it's working again! Drove it and as if nothing had happened. But the ambient light no longer works unless I say "hey Mercedes turn on Ambient lighting". What's the suspension issue?
A suspension malfunction message came up on the dash at start up. One time only. Shut off and restarted. It hasn’t come back since. That error code did log though hence the reprogramming.
Old 03-02-2022, 08:17 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
EQS 450+
Is the ambient light still working or do you have to manually activate it?

Do you have the malfunction notification every time you turn it on? Or is the picture from the first time this happened?
ambient lighting is ok. Malfunction notification is just from the time it happened. There are no error messages right now.
The following users liked this post:
alexzz123 (03-02-2022)
Old 03-02-2022, 08:23 PM

Rivian R1T
They couldn’t find any error codes and basically said no idea.
Huh, that's odd.
Utopia Texas (09-30-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 02:48 PM

Rivian R1T
Quick update: Went to Mercedes today to get it diagnosed. They found three charging fault codes and performed a software update for charging. Had the option to keep the car at the dealership so mbusa can perform tests. Decided to keep it for now.

Edit: When I came home and turned the car on again, the malfunction notification came up again. Took it back to service and got a loaner.

Last edited by alexzz123; 03-03-2022 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-03-2022, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 782 Likes on 502 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
I had my car at the tint place. I got the 12V warning. Told them to keep the car on while working on it and use a battery tender overnight.

car was fine and the warning disappeared.
The following 2 users liked this post by stealth.pilot:
hlothery (03-03-2022), njtransit215 (03-03-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 05:51 PM

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts
2022 EQS 580, 2020 Tesla Model X LR
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
I had my car at the tint place. I got the 12V warning. Told them to keep the car on while working on it and use a battery tender overnight.

car was fine and the warning disappeared.
My car is back in the tint shop as they weren’t able to finish before the 12v battery died. Been getting a few warnings and they are doing the same; have it on in Neutral which charges the 12v battery.

I hope they fix this with a software update, no point for the car to remain on forever when the doors are open. Turn everything off after a few minutes, should be an easy fix.
Old 03-04-2022, 02:25 PM

EQS 450+
Originally Posted by StormingHabs
My car is back in the tint shop as they weren’t able to finish before the 12v battery died. Been getting a few warnings and they are doing the same; have it on in Neutral which charges the 12v battery.

I hope they fix this with a software update, no point for the car to remain on forever when the doors are open. Turn everything off after a few minutes, should be an easy fix.
You might try reaching up to the upper console, behind the rearview mirror, and pressing the most right hand button. It illuminates red, and that turns off the interior lights, even with the doors open. I did this while tinting, and had no issues.
SaffsDad (03-05-2022)
Old 04-08-2022, 06:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 450+
I just had this same issue today with my 2022 EQS 450+ while using the ChargePoint charger at the Mercedes Dealer! It won't turn on and I was stuck there while waiting for my pet at the vet.

No one at the dealership had any idea what to do, and their diagnostics tools don't work with this car! Thankfully, since I was at the dealer, they were able to help me out with a loaner car, but it is only a few weeks old and is now stranded in front of the dealership charger.

The dealer said they have no idea how long it will take to fix, and that they will likely have to wait to speak to someone in Germany. If there are any tips on how to prevent this, please let me know. This is the first time I had ever used a ChargePoint charger - using the super charger I had no issues at the charging stations, but this is very alarming!
Old 04-08-2022, 07:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,930 Likes on 3,095 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by eqsnoob
I just had this same issue today with my 2022 EQS 450+ while using the ChargePoint charger at the Mercedes Dealer! It won't turn on and I was stuck there while waiting for my pet at the vet.

No one at the dealership had any idea what to do, and their diagnostics tools don't work with this car! Thankfully, since I was at the dealer, they were able to help me out with a loaner car, but it is only a few weeks old and is now stranded in front of the dealership charger.

The dealer said they have no idea how long it will take to fix, and that they will likely have to wait to speak to someone in Germany. If there are any tips on how to prevent this, please let me know. This is the first time I had ever used a ChargePoint charger - using the super charger I had no issues at the charging stations, but this is very alarming!
Sorry to hear. Is the dealer taking care of you with a loaner vehicle?
Old 04-08-2022, 07:49 PM

2022 Mercedes EQS 450+
Originally Posted by chassis
Sorry to hear. Is the dealer taking care of you with a loaner vehicle?
Yes, thankfully they felt bad for me because I just came to charge the car while dropping my pet at the vet. So my pet was stranded, I was on work break, couldn't pickup kiddo from bus stop, all because I went to charge at the ChargePoint charger at the dealership. Since it was a Friday afternoon, they didn't have actual loaners, but pulled a new GLC 300 for me to drive, which I have now. I was LIVID, and honestly called the salesperson and demanded a refund and threatened to call a lawyer because I just bought a brand new S class and was stranded at the dealership just to charge the car. As soon as I got back, I started doing my own research, which led me to this thread, so at least I know I'm not alone, but still not sure I can trust the car if I get it back. Other than that, it's one of the best Mercedes I've had, and I've been driving them for 21 years, alternating every 2-3 years.
chassis (04-08-2022)
Old 04-08-2022, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,585 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
12V issues seem to be common across the board for EV's, from Tesla, Audi, Porsche, etc. Wonder what the issue is that it seems to affect multiple brands?
eqsnoob (04-08-2022)
Old 04-08-2022, 11:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,930 Likes on 3,095 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
DC-DC converters are a component that could be a common cause item across manufacturers. Bosch, for example, supplies common components across manufacturers in braking systems. Ditto for Continental and electronic modules. Maybe one of the converter manufacturers is having a problem that affects multiple vehicles.
Old 04-10-2022, 10:51 AM

2022 Mercedes EQS 450+
UPDATE: Not sure what the issues were but after receiving 12V starter battery critically low messages, etc. I was able to get the entire system to reset at 4 AM. Charging successfully continued until it reached 80%. Called the local dealer to have a look. They suggested it may have just been an initial low charge issue. They said they are backed up. I could drop the car but it would be at least 4 days before they could even look at it. The earliest available service appointment is a month out. I will continue to monitor.

On a positive note, Mercedes Premier support has been very proactive in trying to respond and following up with me.
My car is still at the dealer, and it looks like they haven't done anything. After getting back home I noticed these errors on Mercedes Me connect indicating the battery is critical and needs to be charged. It makes me want to go to the dealer and charge ot (since it is stuck in the EV charging parking spot that hosed it) - since no one at the dealership knows what to do, does anyone here?

Old 04-10-2022, 02:41 PM

EQS 450+
That's exactly what I would do. I'm considering purchasing one of those portable jump starters to have, just in case. In my understanding of this issue, if you can jump start the 12v battery and get the car to turn on, it will then charge the 12 v battery. I'd urge the dealer to do just that. I guess my main question is, how did it drain in the first place?
eqsnoob (04-10-2022)
Old 04-10-2022, 08:52 PM

2022 Mercedes EQS 450+
Originally Posted by hlothery
That's exactly what I would do. I'm considering purchasing one of those portable jump starters to have, just in case. In my understanding of this issue, if you can jump start the 12v battery and get the car to turn on, it will then charge the 12 v battery. I'd urge the dealer to do just that. I guess my main question is, how did it drain in the first place?
The car was actually running without issues, but I had only charged using super chargers. This was the first time I went to use the ChargePoint charger available right outside the Mercedes Dealership. After charging it there for 30 minutes, this issue began with the exact same warnings as posted in the initial thread, and the car wouldn't move. It's now stuck in the EV parking spot in front of the ChargePoint charger at the dealer. They gave me a loaner, but seeing the batter warnings in the Mercedes Me connect makes me wonder why they have not charged it.
Old 04-11-2022, 06:02 AM

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
EQS 580
Originally Posted by hlothery
Stupid question but relevant. Where is the 12v battery located? I had a 12v battery warning when my EQS 580 was at the detailers getting paint protection film installed. They had the doors open for two days. When I called them in a panic they told me they had a compatible charger in the shop and would take care of it. I'd still like to know how to charge.

EG2
Old 04-11-2022, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EQS450+
Hi all - thanks for the great info on the battery- I have a Jan 2022 production unit. Have not experienced the 12v battery issue yet but just wondering if it has anything to do with the max charge level of the HV battery. When you experienced the 12v failure, had you been charging the HV battery to the recommended 80% max or 100% max?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: BUYER BEWARE! HV Battery Failure