EQS EQS (V297) sedan

Adaptive headlights now legal in the US - EQS hardware

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2022, 07:01 PM

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts
2022 EQS 580, 2020 Tesla Model X LR
Adaptive headlights now legal in the US - EQS hardware

I saw that NHTSA finally approved adaptive headlights in the US. Anyone know if the EQS in the US comes with the hardware that support this feature or do they use different lights for our market? I coded a BMW I had for this and it was really cool to see the "black box" around the car in front, would love to have it on the EQS.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.go...1-2022-web.pdf
The following users liked this post:
Soulman (04-30-2024)
Old 02-17-2022, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,080 Likes on 710 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by StormingHabs
I saw that NHTSA finally approved adaptive headlights in the US. Anyone know if the EQS in the US comes with the hardware that support this feature or do they use different lights for our market? I coded a BMW I had for this and it was really cool to see the "black box" around the car in front, would love to have it on the EQS. https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.go...1-2022-web.pdf
Finally, it's been in the works for at least 5 years. All the cars have it, a simple software update should activate it.
AppleFan1 (02-17-2022)
Old 02-17-2022, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 292 Likes on 203 Posts
2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by c4004matic
Finally, it's been in the works for at least 5 years. All the cars have it, a simple software update should activate it.
That's great. I hope you're right and it will be a simple software update for the EQS.
Old 02-17-2022, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 746 Likes on 488 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
This is awesome news!

I hope the EQS has these. I know my wife’s 2020 GLE has it, and every BMW and Porsche I have owned in the last 8 years has had it. So EQS better have it.
Old 02-18-2022, 06:36 AM

Received 130 Likes on 93 Posts
2023 Maybach GLS600, 2023 Bentley Bentayga, 2023 Genesis GV60, 2017 AMG GLS63
Not “all the cars” have it, but MB with ILS or Digital Light do, which is most of the high-end MB.
I use it in my GLS and it’s great, but, like SAE Level 2 autonomy, not foolproof. I have to override it when following some vehicles that don’t have standard rear light patterns.
Old 02-18-2022, 08:58 AM

Received 385 Likes on 248 Posts
EQS 450+
My 450 has digital LED Headlamps with projection function and Adaptive Highbeam Assist. Is that what you are talking about?
Old 02-18-2022, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by hlothery
My 450 has digital LED Headlamps with projection function and Adaptive Highbeam Assist. Is that what you are talking about?
Yes that's it. Great news that the EQS has it.

So the next step is as follows:
The NHTSA approved a framework for adaptive matrix headlamps, but the OEMs need to ensure the software for the headlamps complies with the US framework (not clear if it matches European).
NHTSA Framework on Adaptive Headlights
Mercedes will look at its headlight software and determine any changes that are needed to meet US requirements.
Mercedes updates the software if needed
Mercedes tests the updated software against the requirements using the test standard specified by the NHTSA
Mercedes issues the software to the cars (not clear if it can be done over-the-air or requires a dealer visit)

I am very curious who gets this out first. My guess is that it will be Tesla because they have been fitting these headlamps since last year and they are geared to OTA software updates. Plus they tend to issue software first, and then correct later if NHTSA complains. My sense is Audi will be the other front runner because they have been chief agitators behind this.

There is also one other question - I haven't read the whole document but it sounds like there are hardware standards in there too so I hope the existing headlamps are compliant with those.

Last edited by stealth.pilot; 02-18-2022 at 09:32 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by stealth.pilot:
AppleFan1 (02-19-2022), SaffsDad (02-18-2022)
Old 02-19-2022, 09:41 AM

EQS 450+
Mine appear to be working, and IMO, working better than the ones I had on the M550.
Old 02-19-2022, 03:18 PM

Received 91 Likes on 42 Posts
Tesla Model S
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Yes that's it. Great news that the EQS has it.

So the next step is as follows:
The NHTSA approved a framework for adaptive matrix headlamps, but the OEMs need to ensure the software for the headlamps complies with the US framework (not clear if it matches European).
NHTSA Framework on Adaptive Headlights
Mercedes will look at its headlight software and determine any changes that are needed to meet US requirements.
Mercedes updates the software if needed
Mercedes tests the updated software against the requirements using the test standard specified by the NHTSA
Mercedes issues the software to the cars (not clear if it can be done over-the-air or requires a dealer visit)

I am very curious who gets this out first. My guess is that it will be Tesla because they have been fitting these headlamps since last year and they are geared to OTA software updates. Plus they tend to issue software first, and then correct later if NHTSA complains. My sense is Audi will be the other front runner because they have been chief agitators behind this.

There is also one other question - I haven't read the whole document but it sounds like there are hardware standards in there too so I hope the existing headlamps are compliant with those.
On the EQS, MB implemented a software binary flag in the car’s configuration to disable ADB for US cars (due to the previous regulation). Canadian and European cars are fully unrestricted. With some luck, MBUSA can change this software flag from disable to enable via OTA. Can’t wait to have it on my EQS. On BMWs, it is easy for users to change these configuration codes with an ODB2 connector, I changed my ‘16 Alpina B6 to activate ADB and it works flawlessly.
Old 02-19-2022, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by avilent
On the EQS, MB implemented a software binary flag in the car’s configuration to disable ADB for US cars (due to the previous regulation). Canadian and European cars are fully unrestricted. With some luck, MBUSA can change this software flag from disable to enable via OTA. Can’t wait to have it on my EQS. On BMWs, it is easy for users to change these configuration codes with an ODB2 connector, I changed my ‘16 Alpina B6 to activate ADB and it works flawlessly.
I have reached out to one of the European coding guys to see if he can code it remotely. I also want to code the Rear DRL (rear light bar on during day) to match the Euro Spec models.
Old 02-19-2022, 10:54 PM

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts
2022 EQS 580, 2020 Tesla Model X LR
I have reached out to one of the European coding guys to see if he can code it remotely. I also want to code the Rear DRL (rear light bar on during day) to match the Euro Spec models.
Pls keep us updated on whether it’s possible, I’d love to get the adaptive lights working.
Old 02-23-2022, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Pls keep us updated on whether it’s possible, I’d love to get the adaptive lights working.
Here was the response from the coding guy (RJ Automotive).

At the moment the EQS has upgraded security meaning we cannot code it.

​We are working hard, to be able to overcome this.
The following 2 users liked this post by stealth.pilot:
aypues (05-21-2022), StormingHabs (02-23-2022)
Old 02-23-2022, 04:44 PM

EQS 450+
So, as a novice to this, maybe you guys can help me out. Are you saying that on my M550 in the past, and on my current 450+, I only have hardware which is not working without a software update? Just as on the M550, the lights auto dim, seem to follow my steering, and aux lights light up the path I'm turning into. What more does adaptive lighting do? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-23-2022, 04:50 PM

Tesla Model S
So, as a novice to this, maybe you guys can help me out. Are you saying that on my M550 in the past, and on my current 450+, I only have hardware which is not working without a software update? Just as on the M550, the lights auto dim, seem to follow my steering, and aux lights light up the path I'm turning into. What more does adaptive lighting do? Thanks in advance.
Yes if your BMW was built on/after 2016 and has LED headlamps, it has the hardware to support ADB. BMW merely disabled that functionality through software to ensure compliance with US law. I coded my 2016 BMW to enable that functionality and it has worked like a charm for 6 years. The EQS is in the same boat, provided you have the "Digital Lights" you have all the necessary HW, all that is missing a is software update to update the functionality.
Old 02-23-2022, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
That's right. You have the hardware, but some of the functionality is disabled. What you are getting on your cars is Active High Beam (where it turns high beams on and off automatically based on oncoming traffic) and lane curve illumination (where it directs lights into a curve).

What you are missing is this feature (which your hardware supports but which is disabled in US spec cars). You will notice this video is 9 years old. You can code some cars to re-enable this feature, but the EQS code has not been cracked yet.
hlothery (02-23-2022)
Old 02-23-2022, 05:25 PM

Tesla Model S
That's right. You have the hardware, but some of the functionality is disabled. What you are getting on your cars is Active High Beam (where it turns high beams on and off automatically based on oncoming traffic) and lane curve illumination (where it directs lights into a curve).

What you are missing is this feature (which your hardware supports but which is disabled in US spec cars). You will notice this video is 9 years old. You can code some cars to re-enable this feature, but the EQS code has not been cracked yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBUYm5AghVI
On my 2016 6 Series, with ADB the headlights get masked when you follow another vehicle or when a vehicle is facing you in the opposite direction in such a way that the light doesn't impact the other drivers.
hlothery (02-23-2022)
Old 02-23-2022, 07:05 PM

EQS 450+
Thanks so much. I love the info I get from you guys!
Old 05-16-2022, 01:35 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
none yet
Any updates yet

2018 E here with the option i want it activated????????
Old 04-29-2024, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EQS
I had the "adaptive high beam plus" activated on my 2022 EQS by Simone at https://www.mercedes-benzcoding.com/. The guy is a real deal, he charged me about 1/2 price of RJ Automotive and followed through with another appointment.
Old 04-30-2024, 11:18 AM

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
EQS
I had these enabled by RJ Automative and it works fine. The 2.4 update disabled the menu options unfortunately but features remained on, RJ said there is an issue with coding servers right now. Need to check if that is resolved now.
Old 04-30-2024, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EQS
Originally Posted by sarhoshamiral
I had these enabled by RJ Automative and it works fine. The 2.4 update disabled the menu options unfortunately but features remained on, RJ said there is an issue with coding servers right now. Need to check if that is resolved now.
The 2.4 update disabled my adaptive lights, waiting on coding servers update as well to get these re-enabled. Seems like a pain!