EQS EQS (V297) sedan

Real Range

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2022, 03:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 GLE 450
Real Range

There is a lot of talk about the "range" of these new vehicles but it never says under what conditions. Are they in the middle of winter with the temperature below freezing at night with the heater on. or how about in the summer when the air conditioner is on full blast. I would want to know the range under the worst of conditions. Any milage above that is just gravy.
Old 03-04-2022, 06:41 PM

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts
2022 EQS 580, 2020 Tesla Model X LR
svp6 has posted charts of range under different conditions:
https://mbworld.org/forums/eqs/83409...ml#post8516550
Old 03-04-2022, 07:28 PM

Received 456 Likes on 287 Posts
2022 EQS 450+
I drive 25 miles to the golf course 5 days a week in San Antonio. On mornings when the temp is in the 30's, I often lose 40 miles of projected range before I get the the end of my block, due to heaters, seat heaters, and general battery crankiness in the cold. No question, EVs do not like the cold. Contrast that with this morning. I charged to 80% last night. This morning, the temp was 63 degrees. I entered the car with a projected 350 miles of range, at 80% charge. I drove to the golf course and back ( about 50 miles) and returned to my garage with 69% charge available, and an estimated available range of 311 miles. That should give you some context to evaluate the range. I believe, at 100% in temps above 60 degrees, I have around 411-420 miles of available range. Total paradigm change in Winter. I'll let you know how it does on a hot Summer day with temps in the high 90's.
Old 03-05-2022, 08:25 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
EQS 450+
I agree. I have been comparing the EQS system to a home heat pump with resistant heat strips. To get the instant heat in the winter it's going to use more "juice". I don't think there is an equilivent function on the cooling side, it will just run the fan on high longer. I drive in the mountains and just like a gas vehicle, the EQS uses more power going up hill, but unlike the gas that uses less fuel going downhill the EQS actually adds a mile or two to the range. It isn't much but better than nothing. Enjoy the ride.
Old 03-05-2022, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 314 Likes on 216 Posts
2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by hlothery
I drive 25 miles to the golf course 5 days a week in San Antonio. On mornings when the temp is in the 30's, I often lose 40 miles of projected range before I get the the end of my block, due to heaters, seat heaters, and general battery crankiness in the cold. No question, EVs do not like the cold. Contrast that with this morning. I charged to 80% last night. This morning, the temp was 63 degrees. I entered the car with a projected 350 miles of range, at 80% charge. I drove to the golf course and back ( about 50 miles) and returned to my garage with 69% charge available, and an estimated available range of 311 miles. That should give you some context to evaluate the range. I believe, at 100% in temps above 60 degrees, I have around 411-420 miles of available range. Total paradigm change in Winter. I'll let you know how it does on a hot Summer day with temps in the high 90's.
I'm curious about the size of the wheels on your car. Also, do you use summer tires. Unfortunately, in the Midwest that's a no-no. I ordered mine with all season tires and had no choice on the wheel size (21"). So, I imagine the range on my EQS 580 will be somewhat reduced.

By the way, I received some good news today from the general Manager at my dealer. There was some confusion the past 10 days. He was under the impression that my car was at the German port. However, it was actually at a factory very close to the port, likely waiting for a chip or two and to make sure everything works the way it should. It is now officially at the port waiting for a vessel. The GM tells me that in about a week my car should be in the Atlantic on the way to Baltimore. Then, I can track it.

The following 2 users liked this post by AppleFan1:
hlothery (03-05-2022), jhpiipe (03-05-2022)
Old 03-05-2022, 05:47 PM

Received 456 Likes on 287 Posts
2022 EQS 450+
Originally Posted by BeanTrader
I'm curious about the size of the wheels on your car. Also, do you use summer tires. Unfortunately, in the Midwest that's a no-no. I ordered mine with all season tires and had no choice on the wheel size (21"). So, I imagine the range on my EQS 580 will be somewhat reduced.
I have 21 inch wheels with Goodyear Asymmetric F1 5 (MO) summer tires. I bought my car off the lot, and these are certainly not the tires I prefer. Will probably change to Michelin PS4S when these wear out. Did not have good results on my M550 with Goodyear Asymmmetric F1 tires, but they were runflats on that car (changed to Michelin PS3ZPs). However, I have no current compalints. Luckily, Summer tires are fine where I live. Hope you get your car soon. This really is a marvelous car!
The following users liked this post:
AppleFan1 (03-05-2022)