EQS 580 - the 'S' is for scam

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2022, 04:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
EQS 580
Angry EQS 580 - the 'S' is for scam

Hello Forum!

I was as excited as you are about the idea of an electric S-class.
I'm a big Mercedes guy and have no bone to pick with the company; however, this EQS is a major scam and I'd like to share my experience.

About a year ago, I ordered a spec EQS 580 and put down a deposit with Fletcher Jones Mercedes in Newport Beach, CA.
Months and months went by; when it finally came to be delivery date one week out, Fletcher Jones sent out a casual email, basically saying, oh well now we will charge you $40k over sticker.

Of course, I walked and they made a pretty penny selling the vehicle I had custom ordered to someone else for a scam profit. - SCAM #1.

I found a similarly specced vehicle in stock at another dealer and bought that one instead. Here, there was some back and forth about the vehicle being stuck at the port - whatever that means - and the dealer refused to sell me the vehicle until it was at their lot - so weeks and weeks went by - SCAM #2.

Picking up the vehicle - it came without the home charger - SCAM #3. The dealer even had the audacity to tell me the vehicle came without any charger - even though the wrapper with the item sticker was still in the trunk. They simply lost it and lied about it - the user manual also clearly says a charger is supposed to come with the car (I'm talking a small emergency charger, not the Mercedes wallbox).

Vehicle was supposed to come with free 30 min charging at Electrify america charging stations - even though every time I tried I keep getting charged - SCAM #4.

Next, build quality. We are used to near-perfect paint and panel gaps on the S-class, but also on all lower tier Mercedes Benz vehicles. Not so at the EQS: panels are all off; and the corners have paint drips. (see pictures). - SCAM #5.

First time through the car wash - the wiper cover flew right off !!! As if I was driving a '96 Toyota. A $150k vehicle that does not withstand the first time through a car wash ever?? - SCAM #6.

SCAM #7 - and this one really hurts! One of the best things about my 2022 S580 is the actual three-dimensional driver's instrument cluster! First time I saw that, it blew my mind - how can you do a 3D-screen without wearing special glasses?
Well, Mercedes did it in the S-class and it's amazing. The EQS looks exactly like the S-class in terms of the instrument cluster - but is seems Mercedes skimped on paying patent license fees for the 3D screen to Nintendo - the EQS does not have it - nor does it have an option to add it - as I now know! Hyperscreen my ***.

SCAM #8 - spec the car out all you want - stuff will be missing. One of the amazing things in my S580 is the ENERGIZE function with scents, soothing noises and screen videos - GUESS WHAT?? My EQS 580 does not have that! Not the ionizing. Not the scents. Who knows about the massage. All stuff I was willing to pay for - simply not there.

SCAM #9 - I am used to put my foot on the brake to close the door - NOTHING. Not even servo close for the last two inches. How can you sell a luxury vehicle in 2022 that does not have soft close even?? In fact, the same thing annoys me about my Taycan - I have to slam the doors like a sucker.

SCAM #10 - How on earth do you build a 5000 lbs. luxury car WITHOUT PROPER BRAKES. They are too faint at first, and then all of a sudden bite almost to the point of the wheels locking up, slamming the passengers in their seat belts. How is that even road legal??
Porsche has mastered the transition from recuperation to brake pads; so has Tesla; why can't the buffoons in Stuttgart?

There is good things about the car, too:

The interior accent lights are amazing! This is a $50 innovation to a $150k car.
It drives silently, accelerates swiftly and has good handling.

The head-up display with augmented reality is the same as in the S-class, so that's good, too.

In conclusion: Don't buy this piece of crap.
I took delivery - after 10 months of waiting - January 23rd.
It is now Mar 20th and the ODO shows 293 miles; and that's only because I drove it from Riverside where I picked it up to Las Vegas.

I don't drive that thing, and it takes up garage space. I'd rather drive my Lamborghini, Range Rover, Rolls, McLaren, Tesla Model X Plaid, Taycan 4S, or S580 (in that order) - the EQS does not even show up in that line up.

And, if I don't drive the thing, what are the chances you would??

The EQS is really an EQF - F for FAIL. You're entitled to your own opinion - but if you expect to step up from any S-class, be aware that moving to the EQS it is actually a big, big step down the ladder.

Hard to see on the picture, but the level of the hood is about half an inch above the door panel.

Look at the corner. Paint drop and damages.

First time through the car wash: wiper cover gone. In 2022, how are wipers not recessed under the hood??

Last edited by GulfstreamPilot; 03-20-2022 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Forum ate my post.
The following 2 users liked this post by GulfstreamPilot:
hyperion667 (03-22-2022), QuadBenz (03-21-2022)

Popular Reply

03-20-2022, 04:51 PM
stealth.pilot
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 783 Likes on 503 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Sorry, but the only scams I see here is the dealership scamming you, and maybe the lack of transparency and missing charger with the second dealership. The dealership model sucks, and Fletcher Jones should be dragged over the coals.

Scam 4 sounds like user error (i.e. your mistake). Maybe it isn't set up properly

Scam 5 - Not a scam but production variability. This car comes off the same line as the S-Class so if you have these production issues on this one, you could have it on that. Obviously you had the right to decline delivery. And I'm sure they will make you whole if you invoke a buyback on this issue.

Scam 6 - I'm dumbfounded you would try to take a car of this caliber through a machine car wash. Either way it isn't an advertised feature so not sure how it can be a scam.

Scam 7 - Again not an advertised feature of this car so how can it be a scam when it isn't on the spec sheet. By your logic the S580 is a scam because it's supposed to be the pinnacle but doesn't have a hyperscreen. They sold you what they said.

Scam 8 - Sounds like you don't have those options on your car. This is the drawback of buying off the lot. My car doesn't have those features either, but I have ordered a replacement which will be built to order and does have these features. Plus to avoid Scam 1 I have MSRP sale price in writing.

Scam 9 - You could have waited for this feature to become available, You did not. Your choice. Not a scam. BTW Same with Taycan - soft-close is available. You didn't buy it. Not Porsche's fault.

Scam 10 - Agree it's an issue. But not a scam. It's not like they advertised the car as having responsive brakes. The press reviews and test drives made it pretty clear what you get. I was disappointed with the brake feel too, but don't view it as a scam.
Old 03-20-2022, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Sorry, but the only scams I see here is the dealership scamming you, and maybe the lack of transparency and missing charger with the second dealership. The dealership model sucks, and Fletcher Jones should be dragged over the coals.

Scam 4 sounds like user error (i.e. your mistake). Maybe it isn't set up properly

Scam 5 - Not a scam but production variability. This car comes off the same line as the S-Class so if you have these production issues on this one, you could have it on that. Obviously you had the right to decline delivery. And I'm sure they will make you whole if you invoke a buyback on this issue.

Scam 6 - I'm dumbfounded you would try to take a car of this caliber through a machine car wash. Either way it isn't an advertised feature so not sure how it can be a scam.

Scam 7 - Again not an advertised feature of this car so how can it be a scam when it isn't on the spec sheet. By your logic the S580 is a scam because it's supposed to be the pinnacle but doesn't have a hyperscreen. They sold you what they said.

Scam 8 - Sounds like you don't have those options on your car. This is the drawback of buying off the lot. My car doesn't have those features either, but I have ordered a replacement which will be built to order and does have these features. Plus to avoid Scam 1 I have MSRP sale price in writing.

Scam 9 - You could have waited for this feature to become available, You did not. Your choice. Not a scam. BTW Same with Taycan - soft-close is available. You didn't buy it. Not Porsche's fault.

Scam 10 - Agree it's an issue. But not a scam. It's not like they advertised the car as having responsive brakes. The press reviews and test drives made it pretty clear what you get. I was disappointed with the brake feel too, but don't view it as a scam.
The following 11 users liked this post by stealth.pilot:
AppleFan1 (03-20-2022), BenjaminKohl (03-21-2022), Bijan Kohan (05-17-2023), cyber3d (03-22-2022), Highline-Autos.com (03-22-2022), hlothery (03-20-2022), jhpiipe (03-20-2022), js_cls (03-21-2022), SaffsDad (03-21-2022), Soulman (03-21-2022), stewartmmorris (03-22-2022) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-20-2022, 05:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
EQS 580
Scam #7 - of course mine has the hyperscreen. No offense - but buyers like you are the reason Mercedes gets away with axing a 3D driver instrument cluster - you don't even know what to expect. If you care about understanding that issue, go rent the S-class for a day. The driver's instrument panel - the one with the tachometer and what would be the RPM gauge - actually has a three-dimensional quality in the S-class that you can switch off and on with a little touch button on the main panel - which the EQS does not have. It's not an option on the EQS.
The following users liked this post:
QuadBenz (03-21-2022)
Old 03-20-2022, 05:39 PM

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts
2022 EQS 450
Which Gulfstream do you fly and for whom ?
AppleFan1 (03-20-2022)
Old 03-20-2022, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,488 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
First world problems.
The following 2 users liked this post by E55Greasemonkey:
mercedesmax (03-21-2022), Ormond2004 (03-28-2022)
Old 03-20-2022, 07:30 PM

Received 443 Likes on 277 Posts
EQS 450+
Wow. While I lament the chip and supply chain shortages which are negatively impacting delivery of many, many vehicles, I certainly understand that this is not a Mercedes scam. None of my last several cars have ever been through a commercial car wash, even at the dealer. Otherwise, I am flabbergasted at the conclusions drawn, and the severe criticism of what I consider to be an amazing vehicle. And, BTW, I am fully capable of closing a door. YMMV.
The following 4 users liked this post by hlothery:
AppleFan1 (03-20-2022), BenjaminKohl (03-21-2022), js_cls (03-21-2022), SaffsDad (03-21-2022)
Old 03-20-2022, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 726 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by hlothery
Wow. While I lament the chip and supply chain shortages which are negatively impacting delivery of many, many vehicles, I certainly understand that this is not a Mercedes scam. None of my last several cars have ever been through a commercial car wash, even at the dealer. Otherwise, I am flabbergasted at the conclusions drawn, and the severe criticism of what I consider to be an amazing vehicle. And, BTW, I am fully capable of closing a door. YMMV.
Loooks to me like you ordered a 120K car without knowing anything about it to begin with. No the car does not have the 3d cluster, no the car does not come with a charger, no the car does not have auto doors, yadayadayada. Did you ever read the cars features when you ordered? If a dealer delivers a car that has issues with fit and finish that I object to, I don't take it home! The rest is your fault for not ever reading what the cars features are! Sheesh! When you order a car it comes with a detailed description of its equipment; it seems you never read it!
The following 8 users liked this post by c4004matic:
AppleFan1 (03-20-2022), cyber3d (03-22-2022), Germancar1 (03-22-2022), hlothery (03-21-2022), js_cls (03-21-2022), SaffsDad (03-21-2022), Soulman (03-21-2022), stewartmmorris (03-22-2022) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-20-2022, 11:44 PM

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
2022 EQS 450+
I don't drive that thing, and it takes up garage space. I'd rather drive my Lamborghini, Range Rover, Rolls, McLaren, Tesla Model X Plaid, Taycan 4S, or S580 (in that order)

If you’ve got problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but rich ain’t one.
The following 7 users liked this post by gfunk6266:
ALANPRIEBE (04-21-2022), BenjaminKohl (03-21-2022), BenzNika (05-18-2023), js_cls (03-21-2022), mercedesmax (03-21-2022), SaffsDad (03-21-2022), stewartmmorris (03-22-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-21-2022, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,453 Likes on 959 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot

A car of this caliber? As if it's a Rolls Royce or some exotic. LOL.
chassis (03-21-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 09:45 AM

Received 361 Likes on 257 Posts
'16 C450, '21 Dad Wagon Pilot, '22 Wrangler 4xe
It sounds to me like you should take advantage of the current car climate and dump it for your purchase price.
The following 6 users liked this post by CincyMBGuy:
njtransit215 (03-21-2022), Ormond2004 (03-28-2022), SaffsDad (03-29-2022), stealth.pilot (03-21-2022), stewartmmorris (03-22-2022), Streamliner (03-22-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-21-2022, 03:01 PM

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
2022 EQS 450+
Originally Posted by CincyMBGuy
It sounds to me like you should take advantage of the current car climate and dump it for your purchase price.
that's what I did with my used E-tron, sold it for more than I bought it for 7 months ago since i wasn't enjoying it. sounds like OP should consider doing the same.
The following 3 users liked this post by njtransit215:
hlothery (03-21-2022), stealth.pilot (03-21-2022), stewartmmorris (03-22-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 05:46 PM

EQS 450+
Originally Posted by places
I hate swirl marks on a car of any caliber.
The following 2 users liked this post by hlothery:
jhpiipe (03-21-2022), Ormond2004 (03-28-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
I don't know what your story is, but I grew up poor. And as someone with a more mainstream background, I can tell you that a Mercedes-Benz is considered by most people as one of the world's best luxury cars. Owning one is a dream to hundreds of millions of people. And the EQS is one of Mercedes flagship models - it is Mercedes expression of the future of their brand.

So yes, I believe one should treat their EQS with a degree of care, and that means not ruining the paint with a machine car wash.
The following 6 users liked this post by stealth.pilot:
FFT1 (03-21-2022), hlothery (03-21-2022), jhpiipe (03-21-2022), stewartmmorris (03-22-2022), Tjdehya (03-21-2022), Wolfman (03-22-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-22-2022, 10:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Eqs 580
I don't know what your story is, but I grew up poor. And as someone with a more mainstream background, I can tell you that a Mercedes-Benz is considered by most people as one of the world's best luxury cars. Owning one is a dream to hundreds of millions of people. And the EQS is one of Mercedes flagship models - it is Mercedes expression of the future of their brand.

So yes, I believe one should treat their EQS with a degree of care, and that means not ruining the paint with a machine car wash.
Are touchless car washes damaging to paint?
Old 03-22-2022, 10:35 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
Can we see your other awesome cars?? I love Lambos!
Old 03-22-2022, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Fair point. Seems like a status thing which is cool.

Old 03-22-2022, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by Decaffe
Are touchless car washes damaging to paint?
Not as bad as the touch ones. The touch ones damage your car in several ways - micro scratches, swirls, physical damage (like what the OP experienced), and the rails they use to guide the car can often damage your wheels. New cars are most vulnerable because for older cars sometimes they can update the software to recognize the shape.

Touchless car washes won't do micro scratches, swirls, physical damage. And most Touchless don't use wheel rails so your wheels are safe. The one drawback of Touchless is that they do tend to use more harsh chemicals which can result in chemical etching on your paint. Generally the best thing to do with Touchless is to get your paint ceramic coated, and then select the least expensive Touchless wash (which will use fewer chemicals). Then drive the car on the highway to dry it (with the ceramic coating the water will run off). I personally just have a guy come to my house to hand wash the cars, but I understand that in northern climates this may not be practical.
The following 3 users liked this post by stealth.pilot:
AppleFan1 (03-22-2022), BenzNika (05-18-2023), Ormond2004 (03-28-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 04:22 PM

EQS 450+
Not as bad as the touch ones. The touch ones damage your car in several ways - micro scratches, swirls, physical damage (like what the OP experienced), and the rails they use to guide the car can often damage your wheels. New cars are most vulnerable because for older cars sometimes they can update the software to recognize the shape.

Touchless car washes won't do micro scratches, swirls, physical damage. And most Touchless don't use wheel rails so your wheels are safe. The one drawback of Touchless is that they do tend to use more harsh chemicals which can result in chemical etching on your paint. Generally the best thing to do with Touchless is to get your paint ceramic coated, and then select the least expensive Touchless wash (which will use fewer chemicals). Then drive the car on the highway to dry it (with the ceramic coating the water will run off). I personally just have a guy come to my house to hand wash the cars, but I understand that in northern climates this may not be practical.
Since I had my Porsche, their chat boards all recommended waterless wash from ChemicalGuys.com, called EcoSmart RU. I have been using that exclusively, in my garage, with no water (except what is in the product). Microfiber cloths, and a little bit of elbow grease, and the car is cleaned and waxed without water, and without swirl marks. Have used it on all my cars since, and love the product. It is a carnuba/kaolin product suspended in emollients, and works wonderfully. Highly recommended. Works even on heavily soiled cars, although that may take several microfiber cloths. Sometimes after the beach, etc, I have used the water wand at the car wash to wash off the salt, then used the waterless wash after the car dried, but I never take my cars through the brushes on a car wash.
Ormond2004 (03-28-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,669 Likes on 1,711 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
I put my S Class through a car wash. Its a very special car...but its a daily driven car. MANY people with cars of this caliber use carwashes. But, the damage caused to the OP's car is likely the fault of the carwash not the car.

I think its important to realize that the EQS is NOT an S Class. So yes, the OP's S580 is going to be nicer inside and have more content, because while the EQS is the "S Class of EVs" like the GLS is the "S Class of SUVs" neither vehicle is an S Class, and Mercedes does not consider them peers. I have an E Class loaner right now, my S is in for the B service and I sat in an EQS at the dealer. Its obvious that the EQS inside is more of the caliber of the E Class than the S Class.

Now the build quality/paint issues are of course inexcusable...
Ormond2004 (03-28-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 06:08 PM

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts
2022 EQS 450
We should quit responding to this thread. This person is a fake and won't respond to inquires about his post. Cease and desist.
BenjaminKohl (03-23-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SW20S
I put my S Class through a car wash. Its a very special car...but its a daily driven car. MANY people with cars of this caliber use carwashes. But, the damage caused to the OP's car is likely the fault of the carwash not the car.

I think its important to realize that the EQS is NOT an S Class. So yes, the OP's S580 is going to be nicer inside and have more content, because while the EQS is the "S Class of EVs" like the GLS is the "S Class of SUVs" neither vehicle is an S Class, and Mercedes does not consider them peers. I have an E Class loaner right now, my S is in for the B service and I sat in an EQS at the dealer. Its obvious that the EQS inside is more of the caliber of the E Class than the S Class.

Now the build quality/paint issues are of course inexcusable...
I use car washes all the time and have been using them for decades and have owned many high line Mercedes cars. Never had an issue or noticed any damage to my cars or the paint. These are after all mass produced luxury cars meant for daily use. Now, if I owned an exotic or Bentley/Rolls then I would probably hand wash only.

As for the level of the EQS, I have to concur. I too sat in an EQS and can confidently say that there is a difference in quality, fit, and finish between it and an S class. Closer to an E is about right.
Old 03-22-2022, 07:33 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by wings1969
We should quit responding to this thread. This person is a fake and won't respond to inquires about his post. Cease and desist.
Waa?

That's an odd thing to say.
Old 03-22-2022, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,488 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
That applies to about 80% of the one-hit-posters on MBworld.
Old 03-22-2022, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Says the guy with 57 posts since 2014. That's what, 7 per year?
The following 2 users liked this post by places:
E55Greasemonkey (03-22-2022), SW20S (03-23-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 208 Posts
2022 EQS580
I use car washes all the time and have been using them for decades and have owned many high line Mercedes cars. Never had an issue or noticed any damage to my cars or the paint. These are after all mass produced luxury cars meant for daily use. Now, if I owned an exotic or Bentley/Rolls then I would probably hand wash only.

As for the level of the EQS, I have to concur. I too sat in an EQS and can confidently say that there is a difference in quality, fit, and finish between it and an S class. Closer to an E is about right.
I also have been using high quality car wash places for many years. I have had zero problems with scratches, etc. with one exception but that was not a quality car wash place. It was a BP gas station in OH (when I was visiting my daughter and her family) which also had a car wash. That damn place put all kinds of scratches on my 2008 LS460 that I owned at that time. I have never been to a gas station car wash since then. Where I live we have several wonderful car wash places with the very best being a place called Foam Car Wash, locally owned. Outside, they have very soft microfiber cloths to dry out the water spots that remain and powerful vacuum cleaners. I have seen no scratches, etc. on my current 2019 S450 which I have owned for 3.5 years. If there are swirls, I can't see them so I don't care. I'm too lazy to wash the car myself. It just takes too much time. But, I need to research the ceramic coating option and determine if I should do it. I will also ask the dealer what they recommend. When I service the car at the dealer, they obviously wash it and I doubt it's touchless.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: EQS 580 - the 'S' is for scam