Collision Detection Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2022, 11:17 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
SL550
Collision Detection Issues

Hello all,

I was driving the EQS yesterday with wife and 2X kids (5 and 3) in car going ~55MPH around a very very gentle corner. Up ahead the lane there was a left hand turn lane with a few cars in it. As I got closer to the cars waiting to turn (I wasn't entering the turn lane), I heard 2X beeps and the car slammed the brakes on. Has anybody had this same false collision system activation occur? Seems extremely dangerous to both passengers in my vehicle as well as to those following behind me (in this case there wasn't anybody).

Thanks for any info!
The following 2 users liked this post by link2377:
Ratskrad (02-13-2024), Soulman (04-09-2022)
Old 04-08-2022, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 853 Likes on 547 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by link2377
Hello all,

I was driving the EQS yesterday with wife and 2X kids (5 and 3) in car going ~55MPH around a very very gentle corner. Up ahead the lane there was a left hand turn lane with a few cars in it. As I got closer to the cars waiting to turn (I wasn't entering the turn lane), I heard 2X beeps and the car slammed the brakes on. Has anybody had this same false collision system activation occur? Seems extremely dangerous to both passengers in my vehicle as well as to those following behind me (in this case there wasn't anybody).

Thanks for any info!
I have never had this issue. I do know that when I had Porsches, they had to re-calibrate the collision avoidance system every time they did a wheel alignment (which implied the two could end up out of sync). One time they forgot to do that and I experienced what you are describing. It may be worth going in to the dealer and ask them to recalibrate the system.
The following 2 users liked this post by stealth.pilot:
SaffsDad (04-12-2022), Soulman (04-09-2022)
Old 04-08-2022, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 299 Likes on 250 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Me neither never faced this issue but reading this and the W223 forum, seems quite a few have faced it, even some W222 owners. The car must misinterpret something to be dangerous. No idea what would trigger it.
Old 04-09-2022, 05:07 AM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
EQS 450+
I haven't had a false collision but I have had the near-collision sensors trigger with nothing near by, just driving around a parking lot. I am not certain if it's using imaging to detect, or if it is overly sensitive to nearby metals, but as far as I could see, there was nothing near the car - and I got out of the car to check. One thing that was common two times was having just put some canned goods into the trunk of the car. The last time was 2 nights ago, nothing in the trunk, I was just going through a drive through, and the proximity sensor was triggered by a curb that was almost a foot away from what I could see from the camera.

The proximity sensor is pretty damned flakey.
Old 04-09-2022, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 299 Likes on 250 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by SirNH

The proximity sensor is pretty damned flakey.
Parktronic sensor? You should fix it, change the sensor to a good one. Was it on the W223 forum that someone mentioned a loose sensor attachment that caused ghost warnings.
Old 04-09-2022, 10:19 AM

SL550
Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback. I'll take it back to the dealer and see what they can do to correct the problem.
Old 04-09-2022, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,122 Likes on 734 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Hello all,

Thanks for any info!
Turn the sensitivity all the way down. The best way to keep inadvertent activations down.
Old 04-11-2022, 02:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Not the false collision issue - BUT have had the near collision beeps pickup ghost items.

RW
Old 04-17-2022, 02:23 AM

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
W211
Exclamation

Hi You'll,
I had my EQS 450 Plus for two weeks and I'm very concern about the collision assist and warning sensors. My EQS does not detect pedestrian or vehicles when backing up or moving forward. The Mbux does not display warnings or sounds when ped/car are close by. Mercedes Dealer try to downplay the safety issues by saying that there will be updates by air updates. This does not resolve the serious safety issues with the warning devices. Yes, I tried everything in all the settings including parktronic system settings. The fence for vehicle does not work yet according to Mercedes Me Connect so when cars get near objects it doesn't sound alarms. Now, if car is turn on for the first time for that day the sensors work ok, once you drive they malfunction. According to dealership there is no malfunction code in the computer system, but here we are with no safety sensors. Does any one have the same issue?
Old 04-17-2022, 03:08 AM

EQS 450+
Originally Posted by Lawen4ment
Hi You'll,
I had my EQS 450 Plus for two weeks and I'm very concern about the collision assist and warning sensors. My EQS does not detect pedestrian or vehicles when backing up or moving forward. The Mbux does not display warnings or sounds when ped/car are close by. Mercedes Dealer try to downplay the safety issues by saying that there will be updates by air updates. This does not resolve the serious safety issues with the warning devices. Yes, I tried everything in all the settings including parktronic system settings. The fence for vehicle does not work yet according to Mercedes Me Connect so when cars get near objects it doesn't sound alarms. Now, if car is turn on for the first time for that day the sensors work ok, once you drive they malfunction. According to dealership there is no malfunction code in the computer system, but here we are with no safety sensors. Does any one have the same issue?
I had similar concerns with the sensors when I first purchased mine. You have to go play with the settings to get, what I consider to be, safe proximity alerts. I can't remember which settings they were, but I remember there were front and back, and the choices were something like "early" and "normal", with normal feeling like a near collision. Then another setting that I am surprised they don't enable is cross traffic alerts. I just found those this week, buried in the settings somewhere.

By the way, I found that the alert sound settings were a little too alerting to my tastes, so I tweaked them to a softer tone of a lower volume. Far fewer heart attacks
Old 04-17-2022, 12:53 PM

Received 155 Likes on 117 Posts
2005 SL 500. 2015 S550. 2016 GLE400 2018 S560
Originally Posted by SirNH
I had similar concerns with the sensors when I first purchased mine. You have to go play with the settings to get, what I consider to be, safe proximity alerts. I can't remember which settings they were, but I remember there were front and back, and the choices were something like "early" and "normal", with normal feeling like a near collision. Then another setting that I am surprised they don't enable is cross traffic alerts. I just found those this week, buried in the settings somewhere.

By the way, I found that the alert sound settings were a little too alerting to my tastes, so I tweaked them to a softer tone of a lower volume. Far fewer heart attacks
That’s surprising to hear. I would have thought all the sensors would be turned on and functioning correctly. I have never bought a car where I had to play with the settings, all was good to go from the outset. Especially not to have cross traffic alerts enabled when the car left the dealership , that just doesn’t sound right.
Old 04-17-2022, 01:27 PM

W211
Thanks for your replies. I did twick with settings and they are located under settings>assistance>driving and/or settings>assistance>collision and/or settings>assistance>attention assist but if you select home>settings>assistance>collision avoidance>Active blind spot assist and turn on and then select I next to on button you will see this.

But once again is not picking up cars when they come close while I’m backing up. Also it doesn’t pick up peds when approaching intersection or crosswalks.
Old 04-17-2022, 03:51 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
GLC 300
Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback. I'll take it back to the dealer and see what they can do to correct the problem.
And . . . what was the diagnosis?
Old 04-17-2022, 05:08 PM

W211
Like I mention, dealership is downplaying by saying there will be updates over the air updates. In another words they don’t want to open a case on a safety concern.
Old 04-17-2022, 05:51 PM

Received 163 Likes on 122 Posts
2021 Glb35 AMG (2013 GLK 350)
Similar false brake happened on my GLB35 once last year in the first couple months. There was one car on left lane turning left and I was on the right lane going 40-45mph. The car nearly stopped by auto braking. It has not happened since then. I told the MB service also. The handbook says "Active Brake Assist cannot always clearly identify objects and complex traffic situations".

Hello all,

Thanks for any info!
Old 04-17-2022, 08:05 PM

SL550
Originally Posted by cyber3d
And . . . what was the diagnosis?
I haven't had the change to take it in yet; it's kinda a pain in the you know what to drive down there as they aren't super close to where I live.
Old 04-19-2022, 01:15 AM

EQS 450+
Originally Posted by Lawen4ment
Thanks for your replies. I did twick with settings and they are located under settings>assistance>driving and/or settings>assistance>collision and/or settings>assistance>attention assist but if you select home>settings>assistance>collision avoidance>Active blind spot assist and turn on and then select I next to on button you will see this.
But once again is not picking up cars when they come close while I’m backing up. Also it doesn’t pick up peds when approaching intersection or crosswalks.
Here are the settings that I changed... First, you will find these under Assistance > Parking:

From there you can adjust the distance that the proximity sensors will alert you... but it's not defined as distance as much as "Time of Warning" - not exactly intuitive. Setting these to "Early" provides you with a more traditional proximity alert of a few feet:

Lastly, for cross-traffic alerts, you will find these under "Maneuvering Assistance", with separate warnings for Front and Rear. I have only enabled Rear:

I hope this helps.
Old 04-19-2022, 03:51 AM

W211
Hey, Thanks a lot this might help. I didn't double check this settings.
Old 04-19-2022, 12:27 PM

Received 32 Likes on 8 Posts
Eqs580
It’s crazy my car has done it at least four times since I’ve owned it. There’s something about my driveway. It’s the only time it does it. Everytime has been in the morning when I have my twins in car and my pups. I’m backing out of driveway (live on mountain so lots of turns to driveway) not near anything and the collision warning comes on and brakes slam. I almost have a heart attack Everytime. Kids and dogs freak. Lol. I notice if I go really really slow backing up it doesn’t do it. Guess it thinks if I’m going more than 3 miles an hour fast I’m going to lose control. Technology.
Old 04-19-2022, 02:41 PM

W211
SirNH, I tried, but it didn't work. Back at the drawing board.
Old 04-19-2022, 02:51 PM

W211
Elecfour, I got the answer for that. The service person advise me that MB has put a notification that the laser in your garage door opener will activate your fence in your EQS therefore setting all front and side sensors to activate. Contact your service advisor for further information. I have no issue with it because it activates my cameras. But once i drive off the sensors don't work. I can be backing up at the grocery market and cars can go by or people and the EQS does nothing no alarms or warnings.