EQS EQS (V297) sedan

Mercedes Me HotSpot - Not so good

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2022, 12:35 AM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
EQS 450+
Cool Mercedes Me HotSpot - Not so good

I tried linking my EQS 450+ to a T-Mobile MiFi, but the car would continuously re-connect, making it useless. So I thought I would check out the HotSpot service available from within the car settings. It required a lengthy registration process that is free - sure the registration is free, the plan is not. BUT, it seemed like the unlimited annual plan was fairly priced, just $240. It even had the T-Mobile logo on it. I forgot that T-Mobile is actually a European company. The performance sucks. In fact, it appears that maybe all traffic is being directed to Germany and back to the US. I need to do a trace route to find out more.

Speedtest.net connected to a server in New York, even though I am in silicon valley. And it was getting 16Mbps down, 4 up. I usually get at least 40 down and 20 up with my personal hotspot.

And then sadly, when I connected YouTube, the browser performance was pathetic. It was playing maybe 2 frames per second.

All of this is to say, if you ever want to stream some video while charging, you better bring an iPad.
Old 04-19-2022, 12:12 AM

EQS 450+
Further evidence that this is not using a US carrier, I received an email that I was charged a tariff:
Dear <redacted>,

thank you for choosing the HotSpot Drive unlimited premium US tariff!

The charge due for this tariff will be debited via your registered payment method. You will receive a separate confirmation of this payment.

The tariff will be automatically extended for another period at the end of each contract period unless you cancel it up to 6 days prior to the end of the current period.

The general terms and conditions of business are used as a basis for the contractual relationship; these are available at https://daimlerna.hotspotdrive.com/#...sandconditions.
Information on data protection is available at https://daimlerna.hotspotdrive.com/#/infos/privacy.

Enjoy HotSpot Drive!

With kind regards,

Your HotSpot Drive Team

Your customer number: <redacted>

T-Systems North America Inc.
1901 Butterfield Road, Suite 700
Downers Grove, Illinois 60515 USA
Old 04-19-2022, 01:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 297 Likes on 249 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by SirNH
Further evidence that this is not using a US carrier, I received an email that I was charged a tariff:
Dear <redacted>,
***cut***

T-Systems North America Inc.
1901 Butterfield Road, Suite 700
Downers Grove, Illinois 60515 USA
I'm confused, what are you trying to say. In the US all carriers are US-carriers (borders may have split over e.g. from a Canadian carrier). The owner of each of these carriers can be anywhere in the world but makes no difference as long as it is not China.

Are you interpreting that you have used a roaming service because you were charged? The bill is from using a Mercedes service, Mercedes pays the carrier for their network use.

Connectivity used to go through Germany at some point. I don't know if it still does today. Obviously adds delay and hurts ping times but streaming is not so delay sensitive, perhaps some other issue
Old 04-19-2022, 01:33 AM

EQS 450+
I think they are using the German T-Mobile as their carrier, rather than US. There is no reason to be charged a tariff if they were using the US carrier. T-Mobile is owned by Deutsche Telekom. More hops, especially if you are going over an undersea cable and back, is going to affect both latency and bandwidth. I still need to find a way to do a traceroute through the browser to see, though.
Old 04-19-2022, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,120 Likes on 732 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Wifi hotspots are a useless expense. If there is enough signal for it to work, there is enough signal to stream directly to your device. Absolutely useless.
The following users liked this post:
hlothery (04-19-2022)
Old 04-19-2022, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 297 Likes on 249 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
I think they are using the German T-Mobile as their carrier, rather than US. There is no reason to be charged a tariff if they were using the US carrier. T-Mobile is owned by Deutsche Telekom. More hops, especially if you are going over an undersea cable and back, is going to affect both latency and bandwidth. I still need to find a way to do a traceroute through the browser to see, though.
Are you seriously claiming German T-mobile having base stations in the US? Which other countries of the world have base stations in the US? Have you tried manual network search from your cell phone? Did you find many European networks?

Your car connects to internet with a subscription paid by Mercedes. The deal Mercedes has is for low volume traffic like Mercedes Me (Connect) remote features plus maps updates very infrequently. The hotspot service increase data volume significantly. This is why Mercedes needs to pay more and you need to pay more if you want to use that service in your car.

In Europe Mercedes mainly uses a deal with Vodafone and they use roaming in European countries that do not have Vodafone networks.
Old 04-19-2022, 06:39 PM

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
2022 EQS 450+
I tried linking my EQS 450+ to a T-Mobile MiFi, but the car would continuously re-connect, making it useless. So I thought I would check out the HotSpot service available from within the car settings. It required a lengthy registration process that is free - sure the registration is free, the plan is not. BUT, it seemed like the unlimited annual plan was fairly priced, just $240. It even had the T-Mobile logo on it. I forgot that T-Mobile is actually a European company. The performance sucks. In fact, it appears that maybe all traffic is being directed to Germany and back to the US. I need to do a trace route to find out more.

Speedtest.net connected to a server in New York, even though I am in silicon valley. And it was getting 16Mbps down, 4 up. I usually get at least 40 down and 20 up with my personal hotspot.

And then sadly, when I connected YouTube, the browser performance was pathetic. It was playing maybe 2 frames per second.

All of this is to say, if you ever want to stream some video while charging, you better bring an iPad.
I was able to watch a Twitch stream for 30 minutes while charging at an EA station today. Idk if I got lucky with the connection or what but it was flawless once I requested the mobile site. Zero dropouts and good quality.
Old 04-19-2022, 07:22 PM

EQS 450+
Originally Posted by njtransit215
I was able to watch a Twitch stream for 30 minutes while charging at an EA station today. Idk if I got lucky with the connection or what but it was flawless once I requested the mobile site. Zero dropouts and good quality.
I was trying to watch in the browser built into MBUX, not on my device. Essentially, I am trying to see if I can get a Tesla-like experience where I can stream content on the hyerpscreen while charging. It's a bit of a passion project. I am always trying to find ways to compensate for the features I had on my old Tesla.
Old 04-19-2022, 08:05 PM

2022 EQS 450+
I was trying to watch in the browser built into MBUX, not on my device. Essentially, I am trying to see if I can get a Tesla-like experience where I can stream content on the hyerpscreen while charging. It's a bit of a passion project. I am always trying to find ways to compensate for the features I had on my old Tesla.
That's what I meant, I was watching trying different channels on the center tablet with no issues on any of them. Loading took a little while but after it buffered it didn't fall out of sync. Motion was fine too. I took a pic as an example since I was amazed it actually worked
diggs718 (07-20-2022)
Old 04-19-2022, 08:15 PM

EQS 450+
That's what I meant, I was watching trying different channels on the center tablet with no issues on any of them. Loading took a little while but after it buffered it didn't fall out of sync. Motion was fine too. I took a pic as an example since I was amazed it actually worked
Can you try a speedtest.net and take a screenshot of your results? What are you using for internet service, by the way? Did you sign up for the hotspot, tethering to your phone/house wifi, or using whatever came with the car by default?

I will try a speedtest tonight, on my way home from work, too. I'll also take another attempt of connecting it to my mobile hotspot device.

Brian
Old 04-19-2022, 08:22 PM

2022 EQS 450+
Can you try a speedtest.net and take a screenshot of your results? What are you using for internet service, by the way? Did you sign up for the hotspot, tethering to your phone/house wifi, or using whatever came with the car by default?

I will try a speedtest tonight, on my way home from work, too. I'll also take another attempt of connecting it to my mobile hotspot device.

Brian
It was the in-car T-mobile hotspot that I signed up for through the initial browser prompts on the infotainment. I did the $15/mo plan until I decide if it's worth the annual cost. This was at an Electrify America charging station since I wanted to use my free 30 min session. My phone is on Verizon and it was tethered with wireless CarPlay but not in use. I'll take a Speedtest next time I'm in the car. It would not shock me if they throttle download speed or video quality though.
Old 04-19-2022, 08:50 PM

2022 EQS 450+
you're onto something with this. my Speedtest had a ping of 161 and originated from a Duestche Telekom IP address. I only got 3mbps down. it does seem like it may feed through a proxy server in Germany. I'm amazed I got video to stream earlier. perhaps worth us filing a bug report or calling the Mercedes EQ support team.
Old 04-20-2022, 02:17 AM

EQS 450+
you're onto something with this. my Speedtest had a ping of 161 and originated from a Duestche Telekom IP address. I only got 3mbps down. it does seem like it may feed through a proxy server in Germany. I'm amazed I got video to stream earlier. perhaps worth us filing a bug report or calling the Mercedes EQ support team.
Tonight I was able to reliably connect with my personal mobile hotspot and the Mercedes cellular data service. Both had the same data rates in speedtest, although the hotspot (t-mobile, as well) had a much lower ping. Both had crummy streaming. When you were streaming before, were you really getting smooth frame rates? I wasn't getting anything close to 24 or 30, on either hotspot.

All of this makes me think it's really the browser that sucks. My hotspot can reliably get 30-40 Mbps down and 10-20 up.
Old 04-20-2022, 02:34 AM

2022 EQS 450+
Tonight I was able to reliably connect with my personal mobile hotspot and the Mercedes cellular data service. Both had the same data rates in speedtest, although the hotspot (t-mobile, as well) had a much lower ping. Both had crummy streaming. When you were streaming before, were you really getting smooth frame rates? I wasn't getting anything close to 24 or 30, on either hotspot.

All of this makes me think it's really the browser that sucks. My hotspot can reliably get 30-40 Mbps down and 10-20 up.
I can't say for sure, but as someone who looks at a lot of screens all day, I'd guess it was around 480p (maaaaybe 720) at a solid 30 fps. If it was YouTube I probably could've known by looking at the settings.Twitch also puts a lot of priority on mobile optimization when they develop their net coding so I'd expect mobile-first websites like them to do better on limited bandwidth. I already want to call and ask about Apple Music being broken so I'll just add hotspot weirdness to the list.
Old 04-28-2022, 03:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Audi Etron

Has any had better success with the in-car hotspot? Mine seems to have no internet connection despite everything apparently being set up the right way.
Old 05-19-2022, 11:44 PM

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts
2022 EQS 580, 2020 Tesla Model X LR
Originally Posted by FFT1
Has any had better success with the in-car hotspot? Mine seems to have no internet connection despite everything apparently being set up the right way.
Finally got around to trying mine and sure enough, it’s not working. Has anyone had any success getting the hotspot to work?
Old 05-20-2022, 10:03 AM

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts
C63 Edition 507/E250 Bluetec
Originally Posted by StormingHabs
Finally got around to trying mine and sure enough, it’s not working. Has anyone had any success getting the hotspot to work?
There is a Software Update for the MBUX system. You will have to go to service to get it done
StormingHabs (05-20-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 03:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eqs 450+
Originally Posted by Got AMG
There is a Software Update for the MBUX system. You will have to go to service to get it done
Do you know why it isn't an OTA update and instead needs to go to a service centre? Also, how did you find that out?
Old 07-13-2022, 03:26 AM

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts
C63 Edition 507/E250 Bluetec
Originally Posted by lifehukka
Do you know why it isn't an OTA update and instead needs to go to a service centre? Also, how did you find that out?
not sure why it is not an OTA. I work at a MB dealer and have access to all the LI Documents.
Old 07-30-2022, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eqs 450+
I took my car to dealership and asked them to do a MBUX software update. They didn't see any new software version available, but did a software reset and the WIFI hotspot started working. This is very strange though.