EQS EQS (V297) sedan

12 V battery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2022, 01:29 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
12 V battery

Just drove 40 miles to drop off the car for PPF.
An hour later, received the message from MB that "the starter battery charge status is critical" and that I would need to drive the car for 30-60 minutes or connect to a battery charger.
This is really weird. The SOC was 78%, and I had just been on the freeway for 30 minutes.
Hopefully, when I pick the car up in 4 days, it will be to start.
Incidentally, the shop said they couldn't tint the front windshield because of all the sensors. They're concerned about water damage to these things.
Old 05-10-2022, 02:10 PM

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
2022 EQS 450+
Originally Posted by asdf
Just drove 40 miles to drop off the car for PPF.
An hour later, received the message from MB that "the starter battery charge status is critical" and that I would need to drive the car for 30-60 minutes or connect to a battery charger.
This is really weird. The SOC was 78%, and I had just been on the freeway for 30 minutes.
Hopefully, when I pick the car up in 4 days, it will be to start.
Incidentally, the shop said they couldn't tint the front windshield because of all the sensors. They're concerned about water damage to these things.
An extremely common issue a lot of us here have experienced that MB recently put out a TSB for. Have the PPF people keep the car turned on while working on it and schedule a service visit at a dealership near you for a powertrain software update once they're done. The dealer should only need to keep the car for the day.
Old 05-10-2022, 02:44 PM

Thanks for your help.
I won't have the car back until Thursday. May have to jump start it then. Any precautions for the jump start process?
What's really irritating to me me is that having read about the PTCU update on this forum, I had specifically asked the sales guy before delivery to check on the PTCU update, and he said no need for anything.
Old 05-10-2022, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,122 Likes on 734 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Thanks for your help.
I won't have the car back until Thursday. May have to jump start it then. Any precautions for the jump start process?
What's really irritating to me me is that having read about the PTCU update on this forum, I had specifically asked the sales guy before delivery to check on the PTCU update, and he said no need for anything.
Jump starting is just like any other car. I recommend one of the new, small litium jumper batteries. Cranking power is not an issue, all you need a 12 volt source. As soon as the car thinks its battery is fine it will start. Take it home, plug it in and everything should be fine the next day.
Old 05-10-2022, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by c4004matic
Jump starting is just like any other car. I recommend one of the new, small litium jumper batteries. Cranking power is not an issue, all you need a 12 volt source. As soon as the car thinks its battery is fine it will start. Take it home, plug it in and everything should be fine the next day.
Thanks.
Fortunately, I do have a lithium jumper at home.
Regarding the update, sounds like it's a long thing. I hear updates in Lucid can also take hours, too. Wondering why. I mean even installing a new Windows OS isn't that long.
Old 05-10-2022, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Thanks.
Regarding the update, sounds like it's a long thing. I hear updates in Lucid can also take hours, too. Wondering why. I mean even installing a new Windows OS isn't that long.
I belive its bcause its an entir operating system rather than a patch or little update.
Old 05-10-2022, 03:50 PM

Received 469 Likes on 295 Posts
2022 EQS 450+
FYI. My tint shop had no trouble tinting the windshield. To my knowledge, there are no sensors involved in doing that. There is a camera looking through the windshield just below where the mirror is mounted, but with 70% tint, I have had no issues. All my systems are functioning normally. But, if you are worried about it, they can work around that part of the windshield.
Old 05-10-2022, 03:50 PM

That'd make sense.
Now I have to figure out how to prop the hood up for the jump start process. Hopefully, I can ask someone at the tint shop to hold it up for me.
Probably should look into buying an after-market removable hood prop.
Old 05-10-2022, 03:51 PM

2022 EQS 450+
Thanks.
I had the PTCU update done, took just a little over an hour.
The following users liked this post:
asdf (05-10-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by hlothery
FYI. My tint shop had no trouble tinting the windshield. To my knowledge, there are no sensors involved in doing that. There is a camera looking through the windshield just below where the mirror is mounted, but with 70% tint, I have had no issues. All my systems are functioning normally. But, if you are worried about it, they can work around that part of the windshield.
Thanks for the info.
Interesting thing is this is the shop that I've known for years and they're good at what they do. Was really surprised when they said no to the job.
I guess I'll just bring it to another shop for the windshield.
Can someone confirm that the front windshield already has UV blocking and IR shielding? Thanks.
Old 05-11-2022, 10:50 PM

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts
2022 EQS 580, 2020 Tesla Model X LR
Thanks for the info.
Interesting thing is this is the shop that I've known for years and they're good at what they do. Was really surprised when they said no to the job.
Can someone confirm that the front windshield already has UV blocking and IR shielding? Thanks.
My very experienced tint shop had the same issue with the front windshield (and I also had to jump my car because the 12V drained while doing tint and PPF). Going to have the windshield done at another shop.
Old 05-11-2022, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by StormingHabs
My very experienced tint shop had the same issue with the front windshield (and I also had to jump my car because the 12V drained while doing tint and PPF). Going to have the windshield done at another shop.
The trick to not drain the 12v battery is to keep the ignition on, the problem is that about 15 min the car turns itself off again. When doing a big project the solution is to connect a battery tender.
Old 05-11-2022, 11:10 PM

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts
2022 EQS 580, 2020 Tesla Model X LR
The trick to not drain the 12v battery is to keep the ignition on, the problem is that about 15 min the car turns itself off again. When doing a big project the solution is to connect a battery tender.
That’s one way to do it. I had my tint/PPF put the car in Neutral and the park brake on and it ran for hours. Just like you had to do in a Tesla before they added a dedicated camp mode.
Old 05-11-2022, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Thanks for the info.
The heat rejecting windshield is part of the option package with the double paned acoustic glass. There is no need to tint. A shop that refuses to it its because they know what they are doing. Finally, installing a tint in such a tight space is a major PTA. Probably not worth the aggravation.

Last edited by c4004matic; 05-11-2022 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-11-2022, 11:35 PM

The heat rejecting windshield is part of the option package with the double paned acoustic glass. There is no need to tint. A shop that refuses to it its because they know what they are doing. Finally, installing a tint in such a tight space is a major PTA. Probably not worth the aggravation.
Well, I believe this feature is optional on the 450, and those of us picking a car from the inventory may or may not be so lucky.
Old 05-12-2022, 06:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Well, I believe this feature is optional on the 450, and those of us picking a car from the inventory may or may not be so lucky.
Its optional on both models.
Old 05-12-2022, 02:21 PM

2022 EQS 450+
Agree. I didn't have it on mine, and tint is a must in South Texas, so the tint was done. The results are awesome. Do not be afraid to get the windshield tinted. It is well worth the effort if you are in a hot climate. Every piece of exterior glass on my car is tinted. 70% on windshield and panoramic roof, 30% on front windows, 20% on rear.

Last edited by hlothery; 05-12-2022 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-12-2022, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by hlothery
Agree. I didn't have it on mine, and tint is a must in South Texas, so the tint was done. The results are awesome. Do not be afraid to get the windshield tinted. It is well worth the effort if you are in a hot climate. Every piece of exterior glass on my car is tinted. 70% on windshield and panoramic roof, 30% on front windows, 20% on rear.
My old tint shop was worried about his soapy solution on the front windshield making its way into the sensor in the rectangle in the middle of the dash, as well as the firewall's space .
I'll bring the car to another shop next week and see what I say.
By the way, this new shop recommends Spectra PhotoSync. I've always used 3M Crystalline. Anyone in hot climate like Tx or Az using Spectra?
Thanks.
Old 05-13-2022, 08:44 AM

2022 EQS 450+
My old tint shop was worried about his soapy solution on the front windshield making its way into the sensor in the rectangle in the middle of the dash, as well as the firewall's space .
I'll bring the car to another shop next week and see what I say.
By the way, this new shop recommends Spectra PhotoSync. I've always used 3M Crystalline. Anyone in hot climate like Tx or Az using Spectra?
Thanks.
Nope. Went with 3M.
The following users liked this post:
asdf (05-13-2022)
Old 07-07-2022, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 853 Likes on 547 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Where do you connect the battery tender? I couldn't find a 12v outlet in my car.

Originally Posted by StormingHabs
Same has happened to me. How did you jump the car? Should I call MB Roadside or do it myself?

Also where is the 12V battery - the owners manual doesn't say?

Is the 12v lithium jumper allowed on the EQS? When the car is plugged in, does it also charge the 12v battery?

Last edited by stealth.pilot; 07-07-2022 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-08-2022, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Where do you connect the battery tender? I couldn't find a 12v outlet in my car.

Same has happened to me. How did you jump the car? Should I call MB Roadside or do it myself?

Also where is the 12V battery - the owners manual doesn't say?

Is the 12v lithium jumper allowed on the EQS? When the car is plugged in, does it also charge the 12v battery?
The 12v battery is tended by the main battery whether its plugged or not. However if you deplete the 12V, as in any other car, its not going to instantly recharge it. You have to jump the 12V to start the vehicle and after wait for the main battery to recharge it. Thts why you can store the car for extended periods, The 12V "tender" is the main battery. At least thats my understanding.
Old 07-08-2022, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
The 12v battery is tended by the main battery whether its plugged or not. However if you deplete the 12V, as in any other car, its not going to instantly recharge it. You have to jump the 12V to start the vehicle and after wait for the main battery to recharge it. Thts why you can store the car for extended periods, The 12V "tender" is the main battery. At least thats my understanding.
Got it. My question was whether the 12v battery is tended only when driving, or also when the car is plugged in. The owners manual seems to suggest the latter.
Old 07-08-2022, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Got it. My question was whether the 12v battery is tended only when driving, or also when the car is plugged in. The owners manual seems to suggest the latter.
I would think it does it all the time like a trickle charger, if not the 12v would drain while driving. Aside from the divetrain everything runs on 12V. Again, conjecture on my part. It would be nice if MB engineers followed these boards and answered questions.
Old 07-08-2022, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
I would think it does it all the time like a trickle charger, if not the 12v would drain while driving. Aside from the divetrain everything runs on 12V. Again, conjecture on my part. It would be nice if MB engineers followed these boards and answered questions.
That would be nice. I don’t understand why they don’t. I would want to represent my life’s work.