EQS EQS (V297) sedan

Another EQS review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2022, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,025 Likes on 743 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
So Stealth Pilot what is your view of the E Hybrid Panamera because they loved that.
Old 05-26-2022, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by haYnBenz
I actually found their points objective and valid. I also have a lot of respect for their opinion and subscribe to the Savage Geese channel. Maybe they are an acquired taste? I know I am.

I too disliked the EQS once upon a time and didn't see its value. No soft-close doors? No rear window shades? Who the heck designed these uncomfortable rear seats? But I still bought one anyway after selling my S550e. It's a sickness for sure.

After living with it for awhile now, two things jump out at me. The cheapness of the door armrests (feel and sound loose) and the somewhat stiff ride (compared to my previous S class vehicles anyway). I've gotten used to the brakes/brake pedal feel and love the technology, efficiency, range, quietness, practicality of the lift back (I found out this weekend that it perfectly fits a Sony 65" OLED TV in the box from Costco), and voice prompts. Yea, even the shape is growing on me.

I justified buying the car despite not being able to get my desired equipment because I said this is just a proof of concept and the next car I buy will be the real deal. A vehicle I buy without the compromises I had to accept with this car (some compromises due to the chip shortage and not a design/engineering fault). The new BMW i7 is proof positive that electricified luxury cars don't have to sacrifice comfort and luxury for the sake of electrification. Maybe MB will come out with a true electric S-class. If so, I'll be the first in line.

I think, taken as a whole, there is a lot more to like about this vehicle than hate. After all, I could have bought a new S-Class if I wanted all the traditional trappings that I was looking for. But there is no perfect car, at any price point.

IMHO
Excellent objective assessment. The vastly superior efficiency of EV's compared to ICE powered cars renders the latter a relic, though some of those relics were nicer cars. For example the seats (at least in a base 450+) don't seem as nice as the ICE S Class seats front or back. The class leading drag coefficient results in a shape that some (myself included) find unappealing, I guess that is the price of progress.

Savage Geese's attitude towards cars tends to be related to the amount of joy the car brings them to drive, for example a recent review of a Ferrari 360 where they both were giggling like school girls due to the sound it made while acknowledging that it wasn't that great of a car. I think that Mark found the tech in this car painful to experience hence his negativity "You have to swipe ****in everything in this pile" and nothing joyful about it.

I am surprised by their criticism of the handling because my impression was that the EQS is a better handling car than the S class due to it's low CG.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 05-26-2022 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-26-2022, 09:45 PM

Received 456 Likes on 287 Posts
2022 EQS 450+
Originally Posted by js_cls
@Wolfman Need some thread cleanup here.
Indeed.
Old 05-27-2022, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,806 Likes on 1,799 Posts
2024 S580
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
Excellent objective assessment. The vastly superior efficiency of EV's compared to ICE powered cars renders the latter a relic, though some of those relics were nicer cars. For example the seats (at least in a base 450+) don't seem as nice as the ICE S Class seats front or back. The class leading drag coefficient results in a shape that some (myself included) find unappealing, I guess that is the price of progress.
It isn't, there are PLENTY of extremely attractive EVs, both currently on the market and coming. Mercedes chose to use this "computer mouse" shape to make an EV statement, and it backfires IMO. They will develop a new styling language that incorporates more aerodynamics into more traditional Mercedes shapes, and improvement of EV range will make aerodynamics less important.

For instance I think the Lucid Air is much better looking than the EQS, and the cD is basically the same.

As for the differences in the interior quality, etc...thats a function of cost. Developing the all new EV platform and delivering it at a similar to S Class cost means corners are cut somewhere, they will get tat figured out too. This platform will be EXTENSIVELY used by Mercedes, and that will drive the cost of its development per unit way down and they will be able to make better and better cars off of it.

The point is, this car is a first gen effort, more appealing cars will come. I think you already see that with the EQS SUV which has a more normal shape and the dash isn't as tall. The "skateboard" platform works better in a crossover than a sedan.

I am surprised by their criticism of the handling because my impression was that the EQS is a better handling car than the S class due to it's low CG.
Weight is weight, its hard to have a 6,000 lb car that handles well.
The following users liked this post:
js_cls (05-27-2022)
Old 05-27-2022, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
EQS's Cd is the best in the world right now. It is a true example of the principal of form following function.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 05-27-2022 at 02:21 PM.
Old 05-27-2022, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
EQS's Cd is the best in the world right now. It is a true example of the principal of form following function.
Its 1 cD off, .20 vs .21. That tradeoff isn't worth it looking at the styling differences IMO. Lucid also has better range.
Old 05-27-2022, 05:36 PM

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts
2022 EQS 450
"Savage Geese" versus Top Gear or MercBenzKing says it all. These are two bubba's who have no credentials to review a car of this caliber. They have been driving Honda Civics their whole life and they dress and the talk in that vernacular.
TH22 (05-27-2022)
Old 05-27-2022, 05:44 PM

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts
2014 S550, 2007 S600
Originally Posted by wings1969
"Savage Geese" versus Top Gear or MercBenzKing says it all. These are two bubba's who have no credentials to review a car of this caliber. They have been driving Honda Civics their whole life and they dress and the talk in that vernacular.
They've driven a wide variety of cars, Mercedes included, and have many positive things to say about them. They also spend a lot of time driving on racetracks and interviewing engineers who work on said vehicles. This is statement is so far from the truth.
The following 3 users liked this post by joeshannon095:
js_cls (05-27-2022), MBNUT1 (05-27-2022), QuadBenz (05-28-2022)
Old 05-27-2022, 06:13 PM

2022 EQS 450
While I don't want to get into a delusional conversation, my point was the savage geese most likely have never owned a car of this caliber nor have you based on your comments. Driving a car for a few days as a loaner from the manufacturer is NOT the same as owning a marque over a long term as most of the posters in this forum have achieved. I have owned and done European delivery on MB Porsche and BMW for 50 years including owning a dealership for several years.
perlfather (05-28-2022)
Old 05-27-2022, 06:19 PM

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts
2014 S550, 2007 S600
While I don't want to get into a delusional conversation, my point was the savage geese most likely have never owned a car of this caliber nor have you based on your comments. Driving a car for a few days as a loaner from the manufacturer is NOT the same as owning a marque over a long term as most of the posters in this forum have achieved. I have owned and done European delivery on MB Porsche and BMW for 50 years including owning a dealership for several years.
Even better reason to have outsiders with a non-biased viewpoint give their feedback. And I'm not sure you realize how condescending you come off as. I hope you don't treat people like that in real life...
Old 05-27-2022, 07:03 PM

2022 EQS 450+
Originally Posted by joeshannon095
I'm not sure you realize how condescending you come off as..
Condescension comes in many forms, and is often not recognized by the condescender, the savage geese not excluded. Bottom line is that no one is going to be successful on a forum full of owners and lovers of a particular vehicle, no matter what it is, if all they can do is disrespect said vehicle. Especially when said vehicle is viewed by the owners as visionary and paradigm changing. Only those in a different paradigm would persist in this delusional endeavor, and would do well to not waste their self-perceived talents. Sorry if that sounds condescending. In the words of Steven Stills...."I grow weary of the torment, can there be no peace?"
Old 05-27-2022, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Actually the main reviewer on Savagegeese currently owns a Lexus LC500 and has in the past owned various Audis including an S8. So...that assumption would not be accurate, he could easily own an EQS if he wanted to. In any event, does that equally discount all the reviewers who liked the car too? Because they're no different than him.

Don't be so poopy pants that he doesn't like your car. If you like it, who cares?

Originally Posted by hlothery
if all they can do is disrespect said vehicle. Especially when said vehicle is viewed by the owners as visionary and paradigm changing.
You need to get some perspective. Its just a car, some people will like it and some people won't. Look in the W223 forums, those guys in there put up with a TON of complaining about their car, and they take it with grace...unlike you folks in here...

I drove Lexus cars for years and reviewers constantly put down my vehicles, I couldn't care less...because I knew I was driving a vehicle I enjoy. Its almost like you actually agree with a lot of what was said and you have to belittle those who express those opinions to validate your purchase or something...

Like I said there was literally nothing anybody in here could say to me that would bother me. I could not possibly care less what anybody thinks about my cars...many of you clearly care a great deal what others think. Why? Like the guy who tried to make fun of my wife's minivan. Do you think I think her minivan is awesome or something? I hate it lol, its for hauling the kids and the dog around.

Last edited by SW20S; 05-27-2022 at 07:24 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SW20S:
js_cls (05-27-2022), stewartmmorris (05-30-2022)
Old 05-27-2022, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,303 Likes on 2,049 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by SW20S
Don't know what to tell you, but these things have been mentioned in the vast majority of reviews, the ride quality, noise isolation, weird brake pedal behavior and feel etc. Nonbiased reviews disagree with you about the comparison between the two. The interior differences are immediately apparent when you sit in both cars, and I'm talking cars of the same price point. Like I have said before, the EQS is a lot more like an E Class than an S Class. Look at the post right above mine from another owner.

As for this reviewer, watch his S Class review. He hates it too, so its not like he's an S Class fan.

I'm glad you like your EQS, I would never buy one over an S Class, I just really dislike it. But...thats why they make different models.

What I would love to see is an S Class with the EQS' EV powertrain. THAT I would buy.
There are no non-biased reviews and savagegeese are certainly not either.
You may want to refrain from quoting “other” reviews to justify a personal opinion that is not based on personal knowledge or feedback.
Just makes it less relevant

TH22 (05-27-2022)
Old 05-27-2022, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

Cleaned up the thread a bit. No need to get personal.
Thanks
js_cls (05-27-2022)
Old 05-27-2022, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

I will add my subjective opinion about savage geese. I have seen a number of reviews and found that they have a good technical understanding of cars in general and I thought their approach of assessing certain aspects of the cars proper (engine,suspension, drivetrain, etc.).
The same with the EQS. They discussed a number of options in good detail but then came to wrong conclusions because they are not the core customer those features, specs or options are designed for.
Their personal opinion is often downright moronic as everything is viewed in comparison of their personal taste.
Those guys go for American muscle and metal, some Porsches or other sports cars.
They understand the tech but have trouble understanding why customers would want that or want luxury, why anyone would want to spend money for features they find irrelevant or why anyone would bother with EV for the next 5 years or ever.

As such, I find many of their conclusions forgettable or outright annoying.

Last edited by Wolfman; 05-27-2022 at 09:12 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Wolfman:
BenjaminKohl (05-28-2022), gfunk6266 (05-29-2022), hlothery (05-28-2022), stewartmmorris (05-30-2022)
Old 05-27-2022, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by Wolfman
There are no non-biased reviews and savagegeese are certainly not either.
You may want to refrain from quoting “other” reviews to justify a personal opinion that is not based on personal knowledge or feedback.
Just makes it less relevant
I have no opinion of how the car drives, I am just saying that this was not the only review that brought up these points by a long shot. I've watched and read a ton of them and I would say these points come up in 70% or so of reviews...so the charge that this review was unfair is unfounded.

Originally Posted by Wolfman
I will add my subjective opinion about savage geese. I have seen a number of reviews and found that they have a good technical understanding of cars in general and I thought their approach of assessing certain aspects of the cars proper (engine,suspension, drivetrain, etc.).
The same with the EQS. They discussed a number of options in good detail but then came to wrong conclusions because they are not the core customer an lot of these options are designed for.
Their personal opinion is often downright moronic as everything is viewed in comparison of their personal taste.
Those guys go for American muscle and metal, some Porsches or other sports cars.
They understand the tech but have trouble understanding why customers would want that or want luxury, why anyone would want to spend money for features they find irrelevant or why anyone would bother with EV for the next 5 years or ever.

As such, I find many of their conclusions forgettable or outright annoying.
I've seen him make many positive reviews of luxury cars and he himself has owned several non-American luxury cars, and I have never seen anything that shows he slants towards American muscle cars at all. He does absolutely form an opinion about a car based on his own likes and dislikes, that I totally agree with. Technology is one of the things that he doesn't care for. For instance his W223 review he said it was everything that is great yet also everything that is terrible about modern luxury cars. Loved the car and the way it drove, hated the tech interface...and thats also not an uncommon opinion.
Old 05-27-2022, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 314 Likes on 216 Posts
2022 EQS580
It isn't, there are PLENTY of extremely attractive EVs, both currently on the market and coming. Mercedes chose to use this "computer mouse" shape to make an EV statement, and it backfires IMO. They will develop a new styling language that incorporates more aerodynamics into more traditional Mercedes shapes, and improvement of EV range will make aerodynamics less important.

For instance I think the Lucid Air is much better looking than the EQS, and the cD is basically the same.

As for the differences in the interior quality, etc...thats a function of cost. Developing the all new EV platform and delivering it at a similar to S Class cost means corners are cut somewhere, they will get tat figured out too. This platform will be EXTENSIVELY used by Mercedes, and that will drive the cost of its development per unit way down and they will be able to make better and better cars off of it.

The point is, this car is a first gen effort, more appealing cars will come. I think you already see that with the EQS SUV which has a more normal shape and the dash isn't as tall. The "skateboard" platform works better in a crossover than a sedan.

Weight is weight, its hard to have a 6,000 lb car that handles well.
I’m not going to get into a lengthy argument with you. I will just say that you are relentless in your attacks of the EQS. We get it. You hate the EQS. Enough is enough!
hlothery (05-28-2022)
Old 05-28-2022, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,120 Likes on 732 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by AppleFan1
I’m not going to get into a lengthy argument with you. I will just say that you are relentless in your attacks of the EQS. We get it. You hate the EQS. Enough is enough!
Every bridge has its trolls.
Old 05-28-2022, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 478 Likes on 355 Posts
2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
I have a huge amount of respect for savagegeese. He’s very knowledgeable, does amazing and in depth reviews of car audio systems, and both he and his business partner are well spoken. However, he and I have very different priorities in cars. It’s not like he drives a 25 year old Civic and talks about how much he loves it’s analogue feeling; he owns a very nice XC90 with the bower and Wilkins audio, air suspension, and some other rare features, but he’s generally tech averse and not into automation, something the average EQS owner is not like. That’s not what I have an issue with though.

A good car reviewer doesn’t need to be objective. That’s impossible, and journalism is better with some subjectivity. We can read the specifications if we want objectivity. You need a car reviewer to be able to talk about more emotional things in a subjective way. HOWEVER, a good journalist presents those opinions as subjective, and talks about why some people may like certain features or emotions the far brings, and why some may not, and why theylike or don’t like said feature or provided emotion I find that savage geese and his other reviewer present these emotions and subjective things as objective, as this is how the car is bad. Which takes away a lot of creditibikty to me. Instead of saying “I’m not a fan of the layering of MBUX”, they say “MBUX is bad.” That’s what frustrates me. They’re extremely knowledgeable but they present as if their way of experoenveinf cars and their taste in cars is everyone’s, and that whatever their subjective reaction is is the correct and only reaction. If that were the case, everyone would drive the exact same car which is obviously not the case.
Old 05-28-2022, 03:36 PM

2022 EQS 450+
Actually the main reviewer on Savagegeese currently owns a Lexus LC500 and has in the past owned various Audis including an S8. So...that assumption would not be accurate, he could easily own an EQS if he wanted to. In any event, does that equally discount all the reviewers who liked the car too? Because they're no different than him.

Don't be so poopy pants that he doesn't like your car. If you like it, who cares?

You need to get some perspective. Its just a car, some people will like it and some people won't. Look in the W223 forums, those guys in there put up with a TON of complaining about their car, and they take it with grace...unlike you folks in here...
I have lots of perspective, have owned many many cars, many of them high end and high performance. I've driven on track. I am not a novice. I just think you are trolling at this point. Your perspective, for instance, is that a minivan is the best vehicle to transport kids and pets. Many of us have faced those challenges and gone in a different direction. You clearly do not like the EQS, and we have (gracefully, in my case) accepted your opinion, although we disagree with it, but have asked you nicely to stop constantly reminding us of it. We get it. Please......we get it. To constantly reiterate it is trolling behavior on your part, especially when you insist that we cannot bother you but we should please keep trying to do so. I am not interested in that. I am interested in anyone who has an honest and fresh perspective on the EV, and on the opinions of those who have (or at least have driven) the EQS. I'm not averse to opposite opinions, but am able to comprehend them without constant reiteration. I hope you continue to prosper, but I see nothing further of value in this thread. Thanks to all who participated. I'm out.
The following 2 users liked this post by hlothery:
AppleFan1 (05-28-2022), QuadBenz (05-29-2022)
Old 05-28-2022, 05:48 PM

2022 EQS 450
Agreed, Methinks there are a couple of shills for savage geese in this forum.
The following 2 users liked this post by wings1969:
AppleFan1 (05-28-2022), Tjdehya (05-30-2022)
Old 05-28-2022, 08:04 PM

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts
2023 EQS 580
They wanted to Roast MB. If you don’t like the car, the video is entertaining. A roast is far from an objective review though. A reviewer would have more respect for the manufacturer and use more restraint. Their lack of respect for a manufacturer as deserving as MB comes off as juvenile. Maybe these two can show Mercedes-AMG Petronas how it’s done on the track. Btw, I highly recommend the F1 Netflix series if you’re a fan.
Old 05-30-2022, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Relentless? I’ve posted 5 times lol. I’m not “restating my opinion” I’m discussing it on a discussion forum. That’s what the forum is for. If you don’t want to read the thread anymore, just don’t read it anymore. If you don’t want to read what i have to say anymore, just ignore me.

Your perspective, for instance, is that a minivan is the best vehicle to transport kids and pets. Many of us have faced those challenges and gone in a different direction.
Thats actually not my perspective at all, I’m not the only person that gets a say in what vehicles we have in our garage, let’s put it that way. Left to my own devices I would never buy a minivan. In fact, I would consider an EQS SUV to replace it, likely more than I would want to spend for that specific vehicle though, and I’m not yet ready to have an EV as our family travel vehicle.

Last edited by SW20S; 05-30-2022 at 09:59 AM.