Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2022, 02:07 PM

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
2022 EQS 450+
Another EQS review

This is not a favorable review to put it mildly:
https://youtu.be/oLrKdOY8tNw

Interestingly all the things they personally view as negative, I find positives for me:

1. I want to ride in a quiet, comfortable vault. I’m not interested in sporty or aggressive driving
2. I love tech and want to be immersed in it
3. I love LEDs especially at night
4. I am ambivalent about the looks of the EQS but I would rather have a good drag coefficient frankly
5. I’ve owned MB cars before, but never an ICE S class so I have no frame of reference on what I am “missing”
The following 2 users liked this post by gfunk6266:
AppleFan1 (05-25-2022), SaffsDad (05-26-2022)
Old 05-25-2022, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 815 Likes on 523 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
If he doesn't like the EQS then he is an idiot. I think much of the automotive press is out of touch. They are looking for a car which gives them kicks for a day, vs a car you can live with every day. Therefore they only like cars which are edgy like the Lucid or the Taycan. But the thing that makes the EQS great is that it is able to check every box - great handling, performance, smooth ride, luxury, practicality, up to date technology, and convenience etc. in a way the others cannot.
The following 3 users liked this post by stealth.pilot:
AppleFan1 (05-25-2022), hlothery (05-26-2022), SaffsDad (05-26-2022)
Old 05-25-2022, 05:29 PM

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by gfunk6266

Interestingly all the things they personally view as negative, I find positives for me:

1. I want to ride in a quiet, comfortable vault. I’m not interested in sporty or aggressive driving
2. I love tech and want to be immersed in it
3. I love LEDs especially at night
4. I am ambivalent about the looks of the EQS but I would rather have a good drag coefficient frankly
5. I’ve owned MB cars before, but never an ICE S class so I have no frame of reference on what I am “missing”
I’ve never seen this channel before but these 2 are morons for sure. Their bias is obvious. Every time they describe a feature they start with “suppose to.” And their analysis is chocked full of inaccuracies.
The following users liked this post:
SaffsDad (05-26-2022)
Old 05-25-2022, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,806 Likes on 1,799 Posts
2024 S580
So...here's the deal about this.

If you want to ride in the softest riding car you have ever ridden in? Drive a Lincoln Town Car. BUT, its a disjointed mess that really is only pleasant to drive on a straight highway. There is more to a car riding great than riding soft, and that is his point. An S Class is a very refined and soft, but also well damped and controlled ride. I have watched many many reviews of the EQS and this complaint is a common complaint, that the car overall doesn't ride very well (is too soft), isn't confidence inspiring, etc.

All S Classes are ICE.

Note I have yet to drive an EQS, but I have spent a fair amount of time with a few...from all the reviews I have read the S Class rides better, and its quieter. Inside the S Class is built to a higher standard, materials are better, it has more features, the seating position is more natural and normal, seats are better, it has more room inside.
Old 05-25-2022, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,120 Likes on 732 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by SW20S

If you want to ride in the softest riding car you have ever ridden in? Drive a Lincoln Town Car. BUT, its a disjointed mess that really is only pleasant to drive on a straight highway. There is more to a car riding great than riding soft, and that is his point. An S Class is a very refined and soft, but also well damped and controlled ride. I have watched many many reviews of the EQS and this complaint is a common complaint, that the car overall doesn't ride very well (is too soft), isn't confidence inspiring, etc.

All S Classes are ICE.

Note I have yet to drive an EQS, but I have spent a fair amount of time with a few...from all the reviews I have read the S Class rides better, and its quieter. Inside the S Class is built to a higher standard, materials are better, it has more features, the seating position is more natural and normal, seats are better, it has more room inside.
All bull****
The only advantage the S class has over the EQS is rear headroom. And yes for 50 thousand dollars more you can option an Sclass to decadent levels DUH. The S class is louder (has en engine duh), rides worse, is slower, handles worse and it even brakes significantly worse despite weighing 1000 pounds less! Even more stupid is the carping of the max regen setting, well there are 2 others that feel entirely normal USE THOSE. Im sorry but I drove an S580 extensively, the EQS eats it for lunch in every level. The S class feels old, tired and primitive in comparison.
SaffsDad (05-26-2022)
Old 05-25-2022, 07:38 PM

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
2022 EQS 450+
I actually found their points objective and valid. I also have a lot of respect for their opinion and subscribe to the Savage Geese channel. Maybe they are an acquired taste? I know I am.

I too disliked the EQS once upon a time and didn't see its value. No soft-close doors? No rear window shades? Who the heck designed these uncomfortable rear seats? But I still bought one anyway after selling my S550e. It's a sickness for sure.

After living with it for awhile now, two things jump out at me. The cheapness of the door armrests (feel and sound loose) and the somewhat stiff ride (compared to my previous S class vehicles anyway). I've gotten used to the brakes/brake pedal feel and love the technology, efficiency, range, quietness, practicality of the lift back (I found out this weekend that it perfectly fits a Sony 65" OLED TV in the box from Costco), and voice prompts. Yea, even the shape is growing on me.

I justified buying the car despite not being able to get my desired equipment because I said this is just a proof of concept and the next car I buy will be the real deal. A vehicle I buy without the compromises I had to accept with this car (some compromises due to the chip shortage and not a design/engineering fault). The new BMW i7 is proof positive that electricified luxury cars don't have to sacrifice comfort and luxury for the sake of electrification. Maybe MB will come out with a true electric S-class. If so, I'll be the first in line.

I think, taken as a whole, there is a lot more to like about this vehicle than hate. After all, I could have bought a new S-Class if I wanted all the traditional trappings that I was looking for. But there is no perfect car, at any price point.

IMHO

The following 5 users liked this post by haYnBenz:
MBNUT1 (05-26-2022), QuadBenz (05-26-2022), SaffsDad (05-26-2022), stewartmmorris (05-30-2022), SW20S (05-25-2022)
Old 05-25-2022, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by c4004matic
All bull****
The only advantage the S class has over the EQS is rear headroom. And yes for 50 thousand dollars more you can option an Sclass to decadent levels DUH. The S class is louder (has en engine duh), rides worse, is slower, handles worse and it even brakes significantly worse despite weighing 1000 pounds less! Even more stupid is the carping of the max regen setting, well there are 2 others that feel entirely normal USE THOSE. Im sorry but I drove an S580 extensively, the EQS eats it for lunch in every level. The S class feels old, tired and primitive in comparison.
Don't know what to tell you, but these things have been mentioned in the vast majority of reviews, the ride quality, noise isolation, weird brake pedal behavior and feel etc. Nonbiased reviews disagree with you about the comparison between the two. The interior differences are immediately apparent when you sit in both cars, and I'm talking cars of the same price point. Like I have said before, the EQS is a lot more like an E Class than an S Class. Look at the post right above mine from another owner.

As for this reviewer, watch his S Class review. He hates it too, so its not like he's an S Class fan.

I'm glad you like your EQS, I would never buy one over an S Class, I just really dislike it. But...thats why they make different models.

What I would love to see is an S Class with the EQS' EV powertrain. THAT I would buy.

Last edited by SW20S; 05-25-2022 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-25-2022, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by haYnBenz
I actually found their points objective and valid. I also have a lot of respect for their opinion and subscribe to the Savage Geese channel. Maybe they are an acquired taste? I know I am.
Its just fanboy-ism. Had they liked the EQS all the same people would be touting what great reviewers they are lol
The following 2 users liked this post by SW20S:
MBNUT1 (05-26-2022), SaffsDad (05-26-2022)
Old 05-25-2022, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 815 Likes on 523 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580

All S Classes are ICE.

Unfortunately this thesis about the ride and handling is simply incorrect. I own one of these cars so I know what I am talking about. The ride is soft, but it is more refined and controlled than an S-Class. The car has impressive handling for a luxury car and provides a near perfect balance between soft and comfortable for broken city roads, and agile controlled handling for both high and low speed corners. And I know something about handling - see my signature for the kind of cars I have owned.

BTW I have never owned an S-Class. I have rented them, but to me they have always been cars that offer zero driving satisfaction. They are meant to be chauffeur driven. The EQS offers 90% of the comfort of the S-Class in a car that is enjoyable to drive. I would characterize the ride and handling of the EQS more like a 7 Series than an S-Class.

Last edited by stealth.pilot; 05-25-2022 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-25-2022, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Don't know what to tell you, but these things have been mentioned in the vast majority of reviews, the ride quality, noise isolation, weird brake pedal behavior and feel etc. Nonbiased reviews disagree with you about the comparison between the two. The interior differences are immediately apparent when you sit in both cars, and I'm talking cars of the same price point. Like I have said before, the EQS is a lot more like an E Class than an S Class. Look at the post right above mine from another owner.

As for this reviewer, watch his S Class review. He hates it too, so its not like he's an S Class fan.

I'm glad you like your EQS, I would never buy one over an S Class, I just really dislike it. But...thats why they make different models.

What I would love to see is an S Class with the EQS' EV powertrain. THAT I would buy.
So says the guy that has never driven it....
MY PREVIOUS CAR WAS AN E43 AMG. THe EQS has almost the same handling character, big grippy with understeer when driven hard. Its ride is orders of magnitude better, even better than the S class without using predictive dampening
I have it on my GLS 580 so again, I know, no one has "told me". I have driven Benzes for 40 years, none have been this good and cohesive, quite frankly, The EQS is the best car has EVER built bar none.
Is it fun to drive? Well lets say its entertaining, that is not its purpose! Its a coccon of isolation and comfort that will drive in complete control and safety at any speed for hours on end and get you to your destination as refreshed s when you started. If you want that with a little side of hotter sauce you spend another 25 and you get the AMG version. However even with that version the hot tamale will get you there refreshed. Brilliant!

Last edited by c4004matic; 05-25-2022 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-25-2022, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Unfortunately this thesis about the ride and handling is simply incorrect.
Someone's subjective opinion is not incorrect. This is a comment that gets made in the bulk of EQS reviews, and above was made by another EQS owner. I note you had nothing to say about his comment.

The ride is soft, but it is more refined and controlled than an S-Class....I would characterize the ride and handling of the EQS more like a 7 Series than an S-Class.
These two statements contradict each other, because a 7 Series does not have a more refined and controlled ride than an S Class, its the opposite...and the 7 Series is a car I have extensively driven.
=c4004matic;8569771]So says the guy that has never driven it....
I don't have to have driven it to report on what most reviews of the car say. You wouldn't accept my review of it having driven it anyways because you're going to discredit any review that isn't glowing. I note you did not reply to haYnbenz lol

MY PREVIOUS CAR WAS AN E43 AMG. THe EQS has almost the same handling character, big grippy with understeer when driven hard. Its ride is orders of magnitude better, even better than the S class without using predictive dampening
I have it on my GLS 580 so again, I know, no one has "told me".
An E43 is not a real AMG, and a GLS580 rides and handles like a pig, nothing like an S Class

The EQS is the best car has EVER built bar none.
See, this just completely discredits you lol

No car is universally the "BEST CAR EVER BUILT".

Last edited by SW20S; 05-25-2022 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-25-2022, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Waste of time. Ignorance is bliss....... for some.
Old 05-25-2022, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Waste of time. Ignorance is bliss....... for some.
If you want to just hear your own voice in an echo chamber...

Its just a car buddy, nobody called your mom ugly. Just because you like it doesnt make it the best thing in the world.
Old 05-25-2022, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 314 Likes on 216 Posts
2022 EQS580
All bull****
I agree 100%. I’ve owned both the S Class and now the EQS580.
Old 05-25-2022, 08:20 PM

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts
2014 S550, 2007 S600
Harsh review for sure, but definitely don't discredit their opinions. Both of these reviewers know cars extremely well and they sure as hell know how to properly drive them. They recently spent time in the new Maybach S580 and had some very positive things to say about it. They just are not going to sugarcoat things or suck up to the manufacturers so they'll continue to receive press cars. Its good to have voices of dissent, even if you don't agree. A lot of the reviews on this car were glowing with little to no criticism. Haven't spent extensive time with the EQS I can say that while I don't agree completely with their analysis, their criticisms are far from unfounded.
MBNUT1 (05-26-2022)
Old 05-25-2022, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by AppleFan1
I agree 100%. I’ve owned both the S Class and now the EQS580.
To be fair, you had an S450 which has interior seat leathers etc which are very similar to the EQS, you go to an S560 and you get standard napa leather which is still optional on the Pinnacle EQS580, and there is no exlusive napa and onward like you have in the S Class. Theres no question the S Class has better materials, and many more available options for materials that make it feel much higher quality inside. For instance, click your fingernails on the sides of your center console and do the same on an S Class, EQS has hard vinyl sunvisors vs always fabric sunvisors in the S Class, you have more extensive use of metalized plastic vs real metal in the S Class.

The EQS feels like a highly optioned E Class in terms of interior materials. Not really surprising when you look at the EV powertrain and the price point, you're trading those materials for the powertrain design.
Old 05-25-2022, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 314 Likes on 216 Posts
2022 EQS580
To be fair, you had an S450 which has interior seat leathers etc which are very similar to the EQS, you go to an S560 and you get standard napa leather which is still optional on the Pinnacle EQS580, and there is no exlusive napa and onward like you have in the S Class. Theres no question the S Class has better materials, and many more available options for materials that make it feel much higher quality inside. For instance, click your fingernails on the sides of your center console and do the same on an S Class, EQS has hard vinyl sunvisors vs always fabric sunvisors in the S Class, you have more extensive use of metalized plastic vs real metal in the S Class.

The EQS feels like a highly optioned E Class in terms of interior materials. Not really surprising when you look at the EV powertrain and the price point, you're trading those materials for the powertrain design.
I have Napa leather on the EQS seats and I find them very comfortable. I’ll give you that perhaps the EQS materials don’t have the feel of the S Class but honestly, it doesn’t bother me in the least. As far as handling, noise, interior cockpit with the hyper screen, and technology in general is concerned, it’s not even close. The EQS beats the S Class with ease.
to top it off, I have gotten MANY praises on the exterior look of the car. Some of the reviewers are full of skata as we say in Greek.

Last edited by AppleFan1; 05-25-2022 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-26-2022, 04:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580

A highly optioned E class......thats what the S class has always been numbskull! The recipe: take an e class stretch it put "special" leather on the seats and TADA "die sonderclasse" . You are a real ignorant about how cars are made. Just like the GLE....all the way to a Maybach with the same bones.

Last edited by c4004matic; 05-26-2022 at 04:25 AM.
Old 05-26-2022, 11:35 AM

2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by joeshannon095
Harsh review for sure, but definitely don't discredit their opinions. Both of these reviewers know cars extremely well and they sure as hell know how to properly drive them. They recently spent time in the new Maybach S580 and had some very positive things to say about it. They just are not going to sugarcoat things or suck up to the manufacturers so they'll continue to receive press cars. Its good to have voices of dissent, even if you don't agree. A lot of the reviews on this car were glowing with little to no criticism. Haven't spent extensive time with the EQS I can say that while I don't agree completely with their analysis, their criticisms are far from unfounded.
I agree, I like to hear critical, dissenting views. I also, agree with them that the EQS marketing is ridiculous. However, many of their criticisms are unfounded and not supported by facts. It’s obvious that they have formed an opinion and their goal is to chip away at the MB value proposition. Maybe that is the point of their channel. Dissenting reviews. They would have more credibility if they could show us rather than tell us. If it’s like an eclass, then compare one side by side. Show us the data. The EQS rear seat has 3-4 inches more legroom and about and inch more width than an e. A correct statement is it’s in between an e and s.

I didn’t understand the point of the mechanical expert looking at the suspension and throwing out basic design points, then commenting that a sway bar was like a truck and laughing. He later equated the ride to a 70s land yacht. This is a ridiculous statement. Why don’t they test it on a track and provide some real data.
Old 05-26-2022, 12:17 PM

Received 205 Likes on 158 Posts
2021 AMG E63s Wagon
No Drift Mode

Savagegeese reviews are entertaining from their "Odd Couple" perspective. Both liked my Chevy when they reviewed it in 2020 "Chevy SS Commodore/Holden a Funeral" after its limited 2014-2017 run in the States. But Mark and Jack had disdain for the EQS and that School Bus analogy was uncalled for. Although I have ICE running thru my veins owned a 2012 CRZ Hybrid manual that I traded on wife's 2020 CRV AWD Hybrid with several levels of Regen braking from paddles. Hoping to learn about Mercedes EV offerings now so when wife finally wears out her Hybrid in 8-12 years SHE can purchase her Tesla, Mercedes, or Kia EV. I will ride shotgun or take public transportation when my V8s and V-twin die. Dad is retired from car payments...lol
​​​​​
Old 05-26-2022, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
A highly optioned E class......thats what the S class has always been numbskull! The recipe: take an e class stretch it put "special" leather on the seats and TADA "die sonderclasse" . You are a real ignorant about how cars are made. Just like the GLE....all the way to a Maybach with the same bones.
None of this is true lol
Old 05-26-2022, 02:40 PM

Received 456 Likes on 287 Posts
2022 EQS 450+
If you want to just hear your own voice in an echo chamber...

Its just a car buddy, nobody called your mom ugly. Just because you like it doesnt make it the best thing in the world.
And vice versa. What I really don't understand is why you continue to try to dominate the EQS forum, when you clearly hate the car. We got it.....you hate it. OK? Not sure why you are surprised that we who love it disagree with you, and why you will not change our minds with your supposed supreme knowledge and opinions. You are what I hear in the echo chamber. I, quite frankly, wish it would stop.
Old 05-26-2022, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,586 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
@Wolfman Need some thread cleanup here.
MBNUT1 (05-26-2022)
Old 05-26-2022, 06:18 PM

2023 EQS 580
No idea what you’re talking about. All I did was say that this review raises points that many other reviewers raise too, and you guys just can’t seem to handle that.

People have different viewpoints than yours, gotta deal with that.
Savage morons are trying to create a controversial review to drive traffic to their channel. They make totally baseless comments like “it drives like a school bus.” These guys aren’t qualified to clean the bathrooms at Top Gear (UK/original).
Old 05-26-2022, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by TH22
Savage morons are trying to create a controversial review to drive traffic to their channel. They make totally baseless comments like “it drives like a school bus.” These guys aren’t qualified to clean the bathrooms at Top Gear (UK/original).
They just didn't care for the car. Its not a controversial review, there are lots of reviews that raise the same issues. They also didn't say it drives like a school bus, they said the feel and position of sitting in front of the tall dash made it feel like a school bus, which I agree with, I don't like the tall dash either.

They are widely respected car reviewers who get paid to make car reviews...you'll agree with them sometimes and sometimes not. if they loved the EQS, you'd be saying they were the best reviewers on YouTube lol

The bottom line is, theres a lot the EQS gets right but theres a lot that needs improvement too. Its their first EV, they will learn a lot.

Originally Posted by hlothery
Yep, you certainly do.
I'm not the one calling other people names for not agreeing with me.

Last edited by SW20S; 05-26-2022 at 06:59 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Another EQS review