EQS EQS (V297) sedan

OTA Updates?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2022, 03:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EQS 580
OTA Updates?

Howdy, Just got an EQS580 coming from a Tesla Model X. I do really like the car, its a lot to take in and the new cool things keep popping up that i didnt expect. Some disapointment that the "freshner" and the "ionization" package, and soft/auto doors were excluded.. Thanks covid, but i digress.

Does anyone have a clear answer on OTA updates. I took my car in to flash it to a later version (as its older) and they said they wouldnt do it because its not a part of a recall. They also don't seem to have half a clue about the car in general. Is this the same feedback your getting? Will i eventually get new software updates automatically?
The following users liked this post:
rrombeieo (07-23-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 973 Likes on 572 Posts
N/A
Originally Posted by tharpers
I took my car in to flash it to a later version (as its older) and they said they wouldnt do it because its not a part of a recall. They also don't seem to have half a clue about the car in general. Is this the same feedback your getting? Will i eventually get new software updates automatically?
I really don't like how this is still the dealer policy. This is a common thing they say because they don't like updating car software unless it's part of a recall.
It's currently unknown what MB's plans are for the new generation infotainment OTA updates on the electric vehicles.
Old 07-22-2022, 03:53 AM

Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts
No Mercedes yet
Originally Posted by Eaton
I really don't like how this is still the dealer policy. This is a common thing they say because they don't like updating car software unless it's part of a recall.
Agreed - this is lame. What happens if you ask the dealer to update the software anyway? It is (supposed to be) your car, after all...
Old 07-22-2022, 07:47 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2022 EQB300 4MATIC
Just call service and suggest that you're genuinely concerned about mitigating "phantom braking," and would appreciate a brief service "boot" to ensure all updates have been satisfied.
If they won't accommodate their PREMIUM PURCHASE CLIENTS ...then immediately phone your insurance provider and formally log your efforts and that of theirs.
Old 07-22-2022, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

N/A
Originally Posted by finlayson
Agreed - this is lame. What happens if you ask the dealer to update the software anyway? It is (supposed to be) your car, after all...
They will say they need a valid concern that the software will fix. Otherwise, they won't do it.
Not the same with all dealers, but that is how it usually goes. Even for me.
Old 07-22-2022, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 447 Likes on 357 Posts
2015 CLS 550 2015 ML 400 Previous 2020 GLB 250 2019 A 220 2005 ML 350 1989 300 E 2001 SL 500
Originally Posted by tharpers
Howdy, Just got an EQS580 coming from a Tesla Model X. I do really like the car, its a lot to take in and the new cool things keep popping up that i didnt expect. Some disapointment that the "freshner" and the "ionization" package, and soft/auto doors were excluded.. Thanks covid, but i digress.

Does anyone have a clear answer on OTA updates. I took my car in to flash it to a later version (as its older) and they said they wouldnt do it because its not a part of a recall. They also don't seem to have half a clue about the car in general. Is this the same feedback your getting? Will i eventually get new software updates automatically?
The car is designed so that certain updates can be sent directly from MBUSA. Mostly for recall work. This is true with the MBUX equipped cars.
The dealer won't do it themselves because a tech has to be paid to plug the car in. If you are bringing the car in for scheduled maintenance you should ask about any available software updates since the car would be plugged in anyway.
Old 07-22-2022, 05:43 PM

Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts
S580
Originally Posted by mercedesmax
The car is designed so that certain updates can be sent directly from MBUSA. Mostly for recall work. This is true with the MBUX equipped cars.
The dealer won't do it themselves because a tech has to be paid to plug the car in. If you are bringing the car in for scheduled maintenance you should ask about any available software updates since the car would be plugged in anyway.
My S-Class was/is in the shop for a Airbag Malfunction warning. I was thinking of getting that fixed and trading it for an EQS. I called the dealer that sold the S-Class to me a year ago, and he called back to say there are 2 outstanding OTA recall updates on my VIN. One had a date to roll out, but the other had no remedy and that dealer said they would not take it in for trade with outstanding recalls. I only knew about the airbag issue so those 2 others were a surprise. I was just testing the waters about the EQS and went into my now local dealer (where the S-Class is being repaired) and they had 3 EQS450's that would work for me, but one was especially meeting my wants. I explained to the sales person what the other dealer said and he said it was not a problem. The new airbag is supposed to be ready next Tuesday, but I drove out with my new car last night.

Old 07-23-2022, 01:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,095 Likes on 723 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by Old Rocker
My S-Class was/is in the shop for a Airbag Malfunction warning. I was thinking of getting that fixed and trading it for an EQS. I called the dealer that sold the S-Class to me a year ago, and he called back to say there are 2 outstanding OTA recall updates on my VIN. One had a date to roll out, but the other had no remedy and that dealer said they would not take it in for trade with outstanding recalls. I only knew about the airbag issue so those 2 others were a surprise. I was just testing the waters about the EQS and went into my now local dealer (where the S-Class is being repaired) and they had 3 EQS450's that would work for me, but one was especially meeting my wants. I explained to the sales person what the other dealer said and he said it was not a problem. The new airbag is supposed to be ready next Tuesday, but I drove out with my new car last night.
Lets us know your impressions of the S vs EQS. Aside from the rear seat which we all know the S has more headroom ans is more plush.
Old 07-23-2022, 08:43 AM

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
2022 MB EQS 580
I just took delivery of my 2022 580 Exclusive yesterday and found the following factory deletions vs my order — ionization/air scenting (Air Control)
— soft close doors
— 110V emergency cord

even worse for cars currently being produced, there is an even longer and more painful delete list:

Current EQS manufacturing exceptions @7/22/22

So the question to others who waited several months for their car only to find out at delivery that significant equipment had been deleted that may not even be able to be installed later — how did your dealer handle it???
Old 07-23-2022, 10:02 AM

Received 145 Likes on 111 Posts
2005 SL 500. 2015 S550. 2016 GLE400 2018 S560
Originally Posted by rrombeieo
I just took delivery of my 2022 580 Exclusive yesterday and found the following factory deletions vs my order — ionization/air scenting (Air Control)
— soft close doors
— 110V emergency cord

even worse for cars currently being produced, there is an even longer and more painful delete list:

So the question to others who waited several months for their car only to find out at delivery that significant equipment had been deleted that may not even be able to be installed later — how did your dealer handle it???
I’m very curious as to what my car has for deletions, if any. That list is for MY22. My 580 was just built a couple of days ago and it’s a MY23. I have my VIN but no printout of the build.
Old 07-23-2022, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 208 Posts
2022 EQS580
— soft close doors
— 110V emergency cord

You’re not missing anything with that 110V charging cord. It’s less than worthless. As far as the soft closing doors are concerned, MB stated almost from the beginning they would not be available due to chip shortage. You can do without the air fragrance system. It’s not a big deal. Yes, I do miss the soft closing doors but the car has so many other awesome features that I’m very pleased with mine.
Old 07-23-2022, 02:59 PM

Received 145 Likes on 111 Posts
2005 SL 500. 2015 S550. 2016 GLE400 2018 S560
Originally Posted by AppleFan1
You’re not missing anything with that 110V charging cord. It’s less than worthless. As far as the soft closing doors are concerned, MB stated almost from the beginning they would not be available due to chip shortage. You can do without the air fragrance system. It’s not a big deal. Yes, I do miss the soft closing doors but the car has so many other awesome features that I’m very pleased with mine.
Just got a print out of my order for MY23 580. Built on 20 July. Don’t see air fragrance system or soft close doors. I have never used the fragrance on either of my 2 S class cars I had, so no big deal there. Also I knew soft close doors were a no go. In fact my dealer has a 22 Cardinal red pinnacle trim edition 580 sitting on the lot unsold because original owner cancelled because no soft close doors. I really liked them but like you I can live without them. Looks like every thing else I ordered on there.
Currently at B7 status awaiting assignment of ship. I hope there is no hold up for certification of the 2023 model.

Last edited by Radman991; 07-23-2022 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-23-2022, 03:34 PM

Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts
S580
Originally Posted by Radman991
Don’t see air fragrance system or soft close doors.
I just bought a EQS 450 and although it doesn't have soft close doors like the S580 I traded in, I notice when the doors are open that the window drops about 1/4" and raises back up when the door closes. I guess that makes it easier to close in a somewhat air tight car. Actually you don't notice the window go down, but you do hear and see it go up when you close the door. I have not had any issues closing the doors without the soft close feature.
Old 07-23-2022, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 471 Likes on 348 Posts
2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
— soft close doors
— 110V emergency cord

The vasy majority of these (auto dors, missing ventillated seats, missing AMG styling/big wheels on the 580, and missing 10 degree rear steering) were present for very early built cars that were built before options vs standard features were finalized, which was also before custom ordered cars started being built. There were mainly on market launch/showroom unit vehicles. So the people buying them were pleople buying off the showroom floor, and were aware of how the car was configured (whether or not they knew the car was supposed to have additonal features).
Old 07-23-2022, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

N/A
Originally Posted by mercedesmax
If you are bringing the car in for scheduled maintenance you should ask about any available software updates since the car would be plugged in anyway.
In my case getting them to apply any updates outside of an official recall is like pulling teeth:

Is there a magic word to tell dealers to get them to apply updates?
Old 07-23-2022, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 781 Likes on 501 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
In my case getting them to apply any updates outside of an official recall is like pulling teeth:

Is there a magic word to tell dealers to get them to apply updates?
If your issue is with an EQS I would try calling Mercedes Me customer support. They may be able to help - they are the same support team as Maybach and tend to be more responsive than the regular customer service people.

another tactic would be to complain about the choppy video streaming. I know one of the recent updates on the EQS fixed that issue.
Old 07-23-2022, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

N/A
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
If your issue is with an EQS I would try calling Mercedes Me customer support. They may be able to help - they are the same support team as Maybach and tend to be more responsive than the regular customer service people.

another tactic would be to complain about the choppy video streaming. I know one of the recent updates on the EQS fixed that issue.
Not EQS, but dealers are usually pretty hesitant to do updates in general unless they can actually reproduce a problem themselves.
Old 07-23-2022, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 781 Likes on 501 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Not EQS, but dealers are usually pretty hesitant to do updates in general unless they can actually reproduce a problem themselves.
I have to say I haven't experienced this. My service guy tends to be pretty focused on getting his 5 stars. One time I took my car in for wheel refinishing due to curb rash, and it was ready a day late so he comped the whole thing. They also replaced the condensor on my AMG E63 under warranty even thought it was technically damaged by a stone from the road (I didnt have the aftermarket mesh grilles). Of course you could argue these are real problems, but the point is they tend to listen and do things if you ask them.

Last edited by stealth.pilot; 07-23-2022 at 10:11 PM.