ECO vs Comfort mode and range

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2022, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 314 Likes on 216 Posts
2022 EQS580
ECO vs Comfort mode and range

Does anyone know how much range is lost by having the setting on Comfort as opposed to ECO? I usually use the ECO mode.

Btw, my current range since my last charge to 80% is astronomical: 485.71 miles if it were charged to 100%. Yes, I have been careful in not accelerating very fast, not breaking hard, and following the speed limit to no more than 5 miles over the limit. I have 21 inch wheels and all season tires. To say the least, I’m very pleasantly surprised. This is amazing!!
The following 2 users liked this post by AppleFan1:
dblankenbaker (07-22-2022), rrombeieo (07-25-2022)
Old 07-23-2022, 01:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,120 Likes on 732 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by AppleFan1
Does anyone know how much range is lost by having the setting on Comfort as opposed to ECO? I usually use the ECO mode.

Btw, my current range since my last charge to 80% is astronomical: 485.71 miles if it were charged to 100%. Yes, I have been careful in not accelerating very fast, not breaking hard, and following the speed limit to no more than 5 miles over the limit. I have 21 inch wheels and all season tires. To say the least, I’m very pleasantly surprised. This is amazing!!
On the highway with cruise control control there is zero difference. On mixed driving with no cruise control I would guess 15%. Again its only a guesstimate. On the highway at steady speed it does nothing since there is no acceleration and with cruise it cant "glide" (aka zero regen). It can only add range it you use eco to turn off or limit systems like the ac, no massage, etc. Aside from the ability to limit sytstems eco is a crutch, if you leave it in comfort and simply dont accelerate to more than 30% power you do the same thing. In normal driving I rarely use more than 30- 40%. The 580 has so much torque you rarely, if ever, use more than 50% acceleration. The only time I've used 100% power was to do a couple of acceleration runs: 3.7sec to 60 and the 1/4 at 12.1 and 114mph (every time exactly the same times over and over) That type of "juice" is really never necessary on the road under any circumstance.
On another note: I didnt know Masserati had a new SUV! I saw one on the highway the other day and the owner got "playful". My GLS 580 happily showed him why he should have bought and SUV from Tuscaloosa. I can't imgine how badly the AMG version would have embarassed him.
The following users liked this post:
AppleFan1 (07-23-2022)
Old 07-23-2022, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 314 Likes on 216 Posts
2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by c4004matic
On the highway with cruise control control there is zero difference. On mixed driving with no cruise control I would guess 15%. Again its only a guesstimate. On the highway at steady speed it does nothing since there is no acceleration and with cruise it cant "glide" (aka zero regen). It can only add range it you use eco to turn off or limit systems like the ac, no massage, etc. Aside from the ability to limit sytstems eco is a crutch, if you leave it in comfort and simply dont accelerate to more than 30% power you do the same thing. In normal driving I rarely use more than 30- 40%. The 580 has so much torque you rarely, if ever, use more than 50% acceleration. The only time I've used 100% power was to do a couple of acceleration runs: 3.7sec to 60 and the 1/4 at 12.1 and 114mph (every time exactly the same times over and over) That type of "juice" is really never necessary on the road under any circumstance.
On another note: I didnt know Masserati had a new SUV! I saw one on the highway the other day and the owner got "playful". My GLS 580 happily showed him why he should have bought and SUV from Tuscaloosa. I can't imgine how badly the AMG version would have embarassed him.
Thanks! Your knowledge on the various tech features is awesome.
Old 07-23-2022, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,120 Likes on 732 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by AppleFan1
Thanks! Your knowledge on the various tech features is awesome.
Not an expert but I do like to explore all the features.