Maximizing overall non highway milage.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2022, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,103 Likes on 727 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Maximizing overall non highway milage.

For the last week Ive been travelling on 2 way backroads. I found that driving on eco and using auto regen works remarkably well. Note on eco. It severely restricts power its like driving with a brick behind the accelerator so if you want passing power you have to mash the accelerator all the way, however, it keeps your set speed without any problems regardless of road incline. Auto regen makes coasting or using regen a snap making driving on lightly congested backroads a snap. It also predicts bends on the road very well adjusting the speed automatically without having to use the brakes at all. Very very impressive indeed. You can certainly do the same in comfort but then you have to monitor your acceleration so as to keep it at no more than 20% or so. Using eco makes it idiot proof but if you need quick acceleration, the lack of pedal response will quickly remind you its trying to save every watt! However, if driven as above you can easily squeeze another 20% range in this type of road scenario.
Old 08-05-2022, 07:22 PM

Received 445 Likes on 279 Posts
EQS 450+
Originally Posted by c4004matic
For the last week Ive been travelling on 2 way backroads. I found that driving on eco and using auto regen works remarkably well. Note on eco. It severely restricts power its like driving with a brick behind the accelerator so if you want passing power you have to mash the accelerator all the way, however, it keeps your set speed without any problems regardless of road incline. Auto regen makes coasting or using regen a snap making driving on lightly congested backroads a snap. It also predicts bends on the road very well adjusting the speed automatically without having to use the brakes at all. Very very impressive indeed. You can certainly do the same in comfort but then you have to monitor your acceleration so as to keep it at no more than 20% or so. Using eco makes it idiot proof but if you need quick acceleration, the lack of pedal response will quickly remind you its trying to save every watt! However, if driven as above you can easily squeeze another 20% range in this type of road scenario.
This is awesome info for those of us considering road trips in the future. Just knowing you can squeeze a few more miles out if necessary is very reassurring. However, I wonder if ECO also restricts AC, which would not be a usable solution in South Texas? Anyway, I just love the ways we all are finding to maximize these fantastic vehicles!
Old 08-05-2022, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 302 Likes on 209 Posts
2022 EQS580
I’ve been driving in the city with Auto Drive and ECO most of the time. The range with these criteria is incredible in city driving. I can get up to 370 miles range in the city with 80% charge.

it’s a different ballgame on the highway. I’ve noticed that the available range reduces faster even with Auto Drive and ECO.
Old 08-05-2022, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by hlothery
This is awesome info for those of us considering road trips in the future. Just knowing you can squeeze a few more miles out if necessary is very reassurring. However, I wonder if ECO also restricts AC, which would not be a usable solution in South Texas? Anyway, I just love the ways we all are finding to maximize these fantastic vehicles!
Eco mode (dynamic setting) only restricts the drivetrain. However, there are also additional eco settings which are selected separately in the eco menu which will restrict other settings such as AC, audio, seats, and the center and passenger screens. In a pinch you can turn those off also to get a few additional miles. You can access the eco menu through the EQ screen.
Old 08-05-2022, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by AppleFan1
I’ve been driving in the city with Auto Drive and ECO most of the time. The range with these criteria is incredible in city driving. I can get up to 370 miles range in the city with 80% charge.

it’s a different ballgame on the highway. I’ve noticed that the available range reduces faster even with Auto Drive and ECO.
To maximize your highway range there is only one solution.....SLOW DOWN! the difference between 75 and 65 is (guesstimate) about 20%! Even at 70 you can easily get 340 or so. Depending on weather..... 75 plus cuts your range.....significantly. There is a German dude that estimated range at max speed (130mph) at about 150 miles or so.

Last edited by c4004matic; 08-05-2022 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-05-2022, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 302 Likes on 209 Posts
2022 EQS580
To maximize your highway range there is only one solution.....SLOW DOWN! the difference between 75 and 65 is (guesstimate) about 20%! Even at 70 you can easily get 340 or so. Depending on weather..... 75 plus cuts your range.....significantly. There is a German dude that estimated range at max speed (130mph) at about 150 miles or so.
Yes! I found that out. Going 65 mph as opposed to 70+ makes a big difference in the range.
Old 08-05-2022, 09:42 PM

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
I think the energy expenditure (range) is proportional to speed. The wind resistance is the coefficient of drag; Cd * frontal area * v^2, (v= velocity) however, you get there faster at a higher speed so it turns out that range is just proportional (inversely) to speed.
A nifty range calculator on the German MB EQS website shows range as a function of speed and temperature.

Simulieren Sie eine Praxisnahe elektrische ReichweiteSS
https://www.mercedes-benz.de/passeng...qs.module.html
The following users liked this post:
AppleFan1 (08-06-2022)
Old 08-05-2022, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by AppleFan1
Yes! I found that out. Going 65 mph as opposed to 70+ makes a big difference in the range.
I have a problem with 65. In some places 65 is like a rollig roadblock. Most times I can do 75 and simply charge. Im sure I won't be able to in winter. Im slowly adjusting my highway parameters, my prefferend cruising speed is 75-80.
The following 2 users liked this post by c4004matic:
AppleFan1 (08-06-2022), DaleW (08-06-2022)