EQS EQS (V297) sedan

Rejected an AMG EQS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2022, 11:24 AM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
S63 AMG Coupe
Rejected an AMG EQS

Posting here as I never believed this would happen to me.
Note- all opinions are personal and I don't attempt to speak for anyone other than myself.

I have been waiting nearly 18 months for my new AMG EQS (night edition). I currently drive a beautiful AMG S63 coupe.
After many delays and ups and downs , I finally was told the new AMG EQS was a week away, and I drove down to the dealership to do the final paperwork.
And there, for the first time, I saw one in real life. It was a total aesthetic shock. It was literally like a cold glass of water in the face. I know, taste is so personal and cannot be explained, but the EQS design left me totally cold. The proportions felt so odd to me. The exterior finish felt oddly substandard. For example , the taillight bar just looks cheap to me, as compared to the beautiful s63 coupe lights with their individual oled blades.
The interior was nice enough, but the virtual absence of physical switches again felt jarring. Sometimes you need that click on the steering wheel thumbswitches.

So there I was , comparing my S63 coupe with the amg eqs , and my mind klept repeating the new model looks like a freaking minivan. the new model looks like a freaking minivan.
Well, a car is supposed to spark joy and I just wasn't feeling it. So , I cancelled the order. The dealership were a bit astonished I think, and assured me i would grow to love the new design. But I dont want to have to grow to love it Every since i started driving, i bought cars i loved on sight. The last 3 MBs were a 2011 CLS (with the scary eye taillights), a 2015 s coupe and finally a new-gen s63 coupe. I never had to force myself to love anything about those cars!

Anywyay. to get serious , I feel sad that MB seems to have really missed a design opportunity. The exterior design language of the eqs and amg eqs is just too far from beautiful (again , this is a personal view!) . I think they should have given up .01 cd for a whole lot of beauty

I can only hope that one distant day we get an electric successor to the beautiful AMG S63 Coupe , with the same level of catch-your-breath style.
I hope wiser heads than me can already foresee this and can give me some hope...

Right, cathartic rant over- i wish everyone the very best with their cars. Safe and enjoyable rides to you all !

The following 3 users liked this post by arjunvis:
chassis (12-18-2022), hyperion667 (12-18-2022), QuadBenz (12-21-2022)
Old 12-18-2022, 11:40 AM

Received 100 Likes on 75 Posts
EQE SUV 500 4Matic
THAT is one beautiful car! I can understand why you are having difficulty parting with it.
What made you think you wanted to part with it in the first place? Is it possibly because they put the steering wheel on the wrong side? ;-)
The following users liked this post:
arjunvis (12-18-2022)
Old 12-18-2022, 12:13 PM

S63 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by ScottC2
THAT is one beautiful car! I can understand why you are having difficulty parting with it.
What made you think you wanted to part with it in the first place? Is it possibly because they put the steering wheel on the wrong side? ;-)
Haha thanks ! It's in the UK . I do wish we were left-hand-drive, it would simplify things .

(Edit).Well, i *love the current car - but I always wanted to go electric someday and I guess I was hoping the AMG eqs would be a worthy upgrade. Sadly (visually , externally, for my taste) it just wasn't worth the switch. I couldn't get over the way the AMG eqs looks.
I hope MB/AMG change their EQ design language in the next few years to convey more beauty . Fingers crossed!

Last edited by arjunvis; 12-18-2022 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-18-2022, 02:09 PM

Received 260 Likes on 154 Posts
2018 S560; 2022 EQS450+
Arjunvis -

There are those of us posting here who both strongly agree and disagree with your well-expressed reactions.

The only problem I have is with those objecting pushing their feelings on those of us who admire our new EQS cars.

It’s unfortunate you had not had the chance to view the car earlier.

All best, an EQS450+ owner- lover.
The following 3 users liked this post by Newbyloub:
arjunvis (12-18-2022), SaffsDad (12-18-2022), taybae (12-19-2022)
Old 12-18-2022, 03:20 PM

S63 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Newbyloub
Arjunvis -

There are those of us posting here who both strongly agree and disagree with your well-expressed reactions.

The only problem I have is with those objecting pushing their feelings on those of us who admire our new EQS cars.

It’s unfortunate you had not had the chance to view the car earlier.

All best, an EQS450+ owner- lover.
Thank you Newbyloub!
It's great to read your posts and that of others. All the very best, many miles of safe and enjoyable drives to you.
Old 12-18-2022, 03:46 PM

2018 S560; 2022 EQS450+
A brief question, irrelevant to cars - having visited the UK numerous times since 1950 at the age of 18, I’m now booked with family near Harrogate, N Yorkshire the first week of the new year for several days driven shooting. Are you by any chance close to that area?
Old 12-18-2022, 03:52 PM

S63 AMG Coupe
No, I'm down south mainly.
Enjoy your time in Yorkshire ! Harrogate is great and there are some fantastic roads nearby. Check out the 3rd route at : https://the-yorkshireman.com/yorkshire-road-trip-ideas/ It should be spectacular in the winter with the snow-lined dales .
Old 12-18-2022, 03:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,933 Likes on 3,097 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by arjunvis
Note- all opinions are personal and I don't attempt to speak for anyone other than myself.

I have been waiting nearly 18 months for my new AMG EQS (night edition). I currently drive a beautiful AMG S63 coupe.
After many delays and ups and downs , I finally was told the new AMG EQS was a week away, and I drove down to the dealership to do the final paperwork.
And there, for the first time, I saw one in real life. It was a total aesthetic shock. It was literally like a cold glass of water in the face. I know, taste is so personal and cannot be explained, but the EQS design left me totally cold. The proportions felt so odd to me. The exterior finish felt oddly substandard. For example , the taillight bar just looks cheap to me, as compared to the beautiful s63 coupe lights with their individual oled blades.
The interior was nice enough, but the virtual absence of physical switches again felt jarring. Sometimes you need that click on the steering wheel thumbswitches.

So there I was , comparing my S63 coupe with the amg eqs , and my mind klept repeating the new model looks like a freaking minivan. the new model looks like a freaking minivan.
Well, a car is supposed to spark joy and I just wasn't feeling it. So , I cancelled the order. The dealership were a bit astonished I think, and assured me i would grow to love the new design. But I dont want to have to grow to love it Every since i started driving, i bought cars i loved on sight. The last 3 MBs were a 2011 CLS (with the scary eye taillights), a 2015 s coupe and finally a new-gen s63 coupe. I never had to force myself to love anything about those cars!

Anywyay. to get serious , I feel sad that MB seems to have really missed a design opportunity. The exterior design language of the eqs and amg eqs is just too far from beautiful (again , this is a personal view!) . I think they should have given up .01 cd for a whole lot of beauty

I can only hope that one distant day we get an electric successor to the beautiful AMG S63 Coupe , with the same level of catch-your-breath style.
I hope wiser heads than me can already foresee this and can give me some hope...

Right, cathartic rant over- i wish everyone the very best with their cars. Safe and enjoyable rides to you all !

Great taste in cars, and agree with your comments. Beautiful S63 and good decision on the EQS.
arjunvis (12-18-2022)
Old 12-18-2022, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 986 Likes on 722 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Well given that C217 is one of the most beautiful cars Mercedes has made in the recent past, moving to most anything else is going to be a tough transition from a looks standpoint.
chassis (12-18-2022)
Old 12-18-2022, 04:24 PM

2018 S560; 2022 EQS450+
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
Well given that C217 is one of the most beautiful cars Mercedes has made in the recent past, moving to most anything else is going to be a tough transition from a looks standpoint.
I’d agree.

Fortunately, my wife and I love everything about our 450+.

Thanks enormously for your link to Yorkshire drives! About 40 years ago, my wife, elder daughter, and I did a week-long Heriot country tour. So many familiar places and names! Since we will have two non-shooting days at Ripley, I will send your link and comments to the family to think about as something to do.

Last edited by Newbyloub; 12-18-2022 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Add copy …
arjunvis (12-18-2022)
Old 12-18-2022, 04:56 PM

2018 S560; 2022 EQS450+
No, I'm down south mainly.
Enjoy your time in Yorkshire ! Harrogate is great and there are some fantastic roads nearby. Check out the 3rd route at : https://the-yorkshireman.com/yorkshire-road-trip-ideas/ It should be spectacular in the winter with the snow-lined dales .
A wonderful men’s shop, Bunney’s, in Grassington, was owned,I learned later, by my good friend and shoot minder’s (John Bunney,for 15 years) cousin. Pardon my syntax, please!
Old 12-18-2022, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 158 Posts
2023 EQS 580

I am a bit confused. The reasons you gave for rejecting the car are all reasons for not ordering the car. You didn't say anything like "I didn't like the way it drove, the seats weren't comfortable, its larger/smaller than I thought, etc."
You only stated you didn't like the way it looked... you didn't like the design...you didn't like the lack of buttons...
These are all things that you can see from pictures, videos, MB website, or even at your dealer when ordering the car. I am pretty sure that this is the reason why your dealer was "a bit astonished" It sounds as if you ordered a car and didn't know what you ordered.

Then you say "the new model" were you under the impression that the EQS was replacing the S coupe?
I traded a S coupe for the EQS but I knew exactly what I was ordering. I did research; I watched videos, I read and watched reviews, I went to MBUSA,com. I saw the exterior and interior design of the vehicle made a decision or reject or accept the car by deciding to order or not.
This post just comes of weird AF. It doesn't make sense. Much like your dealer, I am also "a bit astonished"
The following 5 users liked this post by Tjdehya:
hlothery (12-18-2022), icwhatudidthere (12-19-2022), parkwood (12-20-2022), Soulman (12-20-2022), stewartmmorris (12-19-2022)
Old 12-18-2022, 08:03 PM

Received 443 Likes on 277 Posts
EQS 450+
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
I am a bit confused. "
Yep....me, too. It has been quite easy for a long time now to know what the EQS looks like. I bought mine last January, and pretty much knew what I was getting. There is entirely no problem with not liking the way the EQS looks....some don't, and we have heard that ad nauseum from a certain few. However, not knowing what it looked like....come on, man! Most of us on this forum love the EQS, including the way it looks. It is a new S paradigm, the EV of the S class. I think it may be the most beautiful car I have ever owned. But we almost all agree the S is one of the most beautiful of MB touring vehicles. Sorry you didn't like the EQS....I think you are missing a fantastic vehicle. Congrats on the beautiful S class vehicle you own. Some lucky person will walk away with that AMG!
The following 2 users liked this post by hlothery:
arjunvis (12-18-2022), stewartmmorris (12-19-2022)
Old 12-18-2022, 08:39 PM

S63 AMG Coupe
The thinking 18m ago when i first contemplated an upgrade was "what is the nicest electric car i can get"- hence placing the order for the amg eqs , even though it is definitely not the s63 coupe successor.

The core reason for my surprise - the physical reality of seeing the AMG eqs was much stronger for me vs what the pictures had led me to expect. This larger-than-life effect will be positive for some, but was negative for me (again, a very personal response, I totally understand and respect that many will love the eqs even more on seeing it IRL).

IMO the amg eqs definitely has some.angles which look better than others. All the pictures , reviews, sales pack etc emphasized the dead on front and rear views, or the three quarter front view,.but less so the side view and rear three quarter view. For me, walking around it , the side and rear 3q angles were the ones I liked least and which were the biggest surprises. Also the height, being used to a lower car . Lastly as mentioned the perceived cheapness of the rear light bar bothered me. Hard to pin down the reason for that but the rear light design was more homogeneous with fewer fine details Vs the s63 coupe.

It is a technological tour de force and I'm sincerely very happy you all enjoy your eqs's. Again , this was a personal reaction and as Newbyloub pointed out, there are many who feel strongly one way or the other !

I had a bit of inner conflict with my decision but am at peace with it now. The intention is still very much to make my next car electric and hopefully we will see a model more directly evolved from the s63 coupe someday
The following 5 users liked this post by arjunvis:
chassis (12-18-2022), MBNUT1 (12-19-2022), Ormond2004 (12-19-2022), QuadBenz (12-21-2022), stewartmmorris (12-19-2022)
Old 12-18-2022, 10:11 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
I am a bit confused. The reasons you gave for rejecting the car are all reasons for not ordering the car. You didn't say anything like "I didn't like the way it drove, the seats weren't comfortable, its larger/smaller than I thought, etc."
You only stated you didn't like the way it looked... you didn't like the design...you didn't like the lack of buttons...
These are all things that you can see from pictures, videos, MB website, or even at your dealer when ordering the car. I am pretty sure that this is the reason why your dealer was "a bit astonished" It sounds as if you ordered a car and didn't know what you ordered.

Then you say "the new model" were you under the impression that the EQS was replacing the S coupe?
I traded a S coupe for the EQS but I knew exactly what I was ordering. I did research; I watched videos, I read and watched reviews, I went to MBUSA,com. I saw the exterior and interior design of the vehicle made a decision or reject or accept the car by deciding to order or not.
This post just comes of weird AF. It doesn't make sense. Much like your dealer, I am also "a bit astonished"
I'm not sure what is so confusing. Maybe you're confusing the fact that you really like what you did with what this man likes and did with his? You post came off just as 'weird AF' just so you know....kinda pompas too. We're glad that YOU did research and watched video's though, nice job
The following 3 users liked this post by hyperion667:
arjunvis (12-19-2022), QuadBenz (12-21-2022), sno (01-06-2023)
Old 12-19-2022, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,585 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
I don't understand why you'd wait 18-months when you could have simply just cancelled the order by looking at an EQS in person long ago. Seems like a huge waste of time and effort for something that could have easily been done earlier.
Old 12-19-2022, 02:19 AM

S63 AMG Coupe
Unfortunately I couldn't have looked at an eqs long ago.
There are very very few eqs let alone amg eqs in the uk. While the order was placed 18m.ago, this is the first time i had an opportunity to see one up close. I have never even seen a normal eqs on the road till about 3m ago and that was very quick (opposite lane, barely saw it).

There was a single amg eqs which appeared in late nov at a distant mb dealership near london- i never did spend a Saturday driving out and back to have a look .

Btw, i never saw my s63 coupes either (both the 2015 and 2nd gen) before actually picking them up, and in those cases the reality outmatched the expectation. so as i said my feelings when i saw the amg eqs were a surprise even to me.

It's a personal thing as i said before. The design is remarkable/polarising .

Last edited by arjunvis; 12-19-2022 at 02:36 AM.
chassis (12-19-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 04:21 AM

2018 S560; 2022 EQS450+
Originally Posted by js_cls
I don't understand why you'd wait 18-months when you could have simply just cancelled the order by looking at an EQS in person long ago. Seems like a huge waste of time and effort for something that could have easily been done earlier.
I don’t understand why any of us feel it’s the proper thing to do is to critique or criticize someone else’s actions.

Anjuvis’ behavior is his business, his reasons are his.

Show some manners here, please.

The following 2 users liked this post by Newbyloub:
dangitty (12-19-2022), MBNUT1 (12-19-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 08:40 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by Newbyloub
I don’t understand why any of us feel it’s the proper thing to do is to critique or criticize someone else’s actions.

Anjuvis’ behavior is his business, his reasons are his.

Show some manners here, please.
Not only are there lack of manners but also a distinct disdain for 'anyone who does not see the world from my point of view'. A modern day sickness of the sanctimonious and privileged.
The following 6 users liked this post by hyperion667:
chassis (12-19-2022), dangitty (12-19-2022), MBNUT1 (12-19-2022), parkwood (12-22-2022), QuadBenz (12-21-2022), stewartmmorris (12-19-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-19-2022, 10:12 AM

2018 S560; 2022 EQS450+
Originally Posted by hyperion667
Not only are there lack of manners but also a distinct disdain for 'anyone who does not see the world from my point of view'. A modern day sickness of the sanctimonious and privileged.
Thank you!
Old 12-19-2022, 10:47 AM

EQS 450+
I don't know.....I'm a pretty friendly and patient guy. But when a guy posts negative impressions about the EQS on an EQS lovers site, he might reasonably expect some blowback, don't you think? The polite thing, if you're going down the polite road would have been to make his decision and move on without posting it on this board.....but that's just my opinion. No offense intended to anyone. Definitely trying to mind my manners.
Old 12-19-2022, 11:10 AM

S63 AMG Coupe
I’d agree.

Fortunately, my wife and I love everything about our 450+.

Thanks enormously for your link to Yorkshire drives! About 40 years ago, my wife, elder daughter, and I did a week-long Heriot country tour. So many familiar places and names! Since we will have two non-shooting days at Ripley, I will send your link and comments to the family to think about as something to do.
You are very welcome ! the cold snap we had has passed but i hope you get some good snow for your trip nonetheless. The dales should look beautiful.
Great to find a fellow Herriot fan. You dont find books like that anymore very heartwarming.
He has a few evocative descriptions of the gorgeous views- god's own countryside, and can be appreciated from inside many great cars- eqs or s63 !

Last edited by arjunvis; 12-19-2022 at 11:11 AM. Reason: added quote
Old 12-19-2022, 11:46 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by hlothery
I don't know.....I'm a pretty friendly and patient guy. But when a guy posts negative impressions about the EQS on an EQS lovers site, he might reasonably expect some blowback, don't you think? The polite thing, if you're going down the polite road would have been to make his decision and move on without posting it on this board.....but that's just my opinion. No offense intended to anyone. Definitely trying to mind my manners.
I understand completely where you're coming from. Not long ago a guy posted a negative view on the W223 board about the new S class and of COURSE panties got wadded!! The man was simply stating his opinion, didn't call anyone out, didn't give anyone else a hard time about owning the thing and still got treated like a piece of garbage and the thread was eventually closed I think too; which is sad that a bunch of grown men can't see beyond their own scope in life.
Blowback is perfectly alright of course.....OF COURSE it is! But doing it with that off putting "I did this so why didn't YOU" sentiment is so douchey. It's that position I have a hard time ignoring and not being vocal about. Especially to new members.
And I never thought you meant any offense, and why would you? Why would anyone?

Cheers
The following 2 users liked this post by hyperion667:
chassis (12-20-2022), Ormond2004 (12-19-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 12:16 PM

2018 S560; 2022 EQS450+
“…when a guy posts negative impressions about the EQS on an EQS lovers site, he might reasonably expect some blowback, don't you think?…”

No, I don’t.

Not if the blowback hits at his actions.

We’re all imperfect human beings, but we can strive to be better. “The first and great commandment…”

hlothery (12-19-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 12:47 PM

EQS 450+
Just remember, sanctimonious has multifaceted definitions. I, for one, will strive to be better, kinder, gentler........lest I offend. Been working on that, although not al long as some members.....I'm only 73.
The following 3 users liked this post by hlothery:
hyperion667 (12-19-2022), MBNUT1 (12-19-2022), parkwood (12-22-2022)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Rejected an AMG EQS