Received 260 Likes on 154 Posts
2018 S560; 2022 EQS450+
Talking about uniqueness and obsolescence -

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...s-2024-report/

Old 01-13-2023, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 926 Likes on 606 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
Not a problem for me. I’ll take a can of spray paint, block out the “EQ”, and just leave the “S”….😊
Old 01-13-2023, 01:24 PM

Received 260 Likes on 154 Posts
2018 S560; 2022 EQS450+
What!?!
And lose the unique feature that will have value? Join the Johnny-come-lately buyers?
That doesn't make sense
Old 01-13-2023, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,585 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
The EQ-branding was always meant to be a temporary measure, just as MB states the black front grills on the EQ models are also temporary until the public adjusts to grill-less designs. The next S was already confirmed to also be EV only, with the current W223 being the last pure ICE S-Class.
Old 01-13-2023, 03:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,512 Likes on 2,136 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by js_cls
The EQ-branding was always meant to be a temporary measure, just as MB states the black front grills on the EQ models are also temporary until the public adjusts to grill-less designs. The next S was already confirmed to also be EV only, with the current W223 being the last pure ICE S-Class.
Hmmm, that makes me think actually, unless I am missing something... if they were to retire the EQS branding by the end of 2024, then where does the ICE W223 S-Class stand? Will it still get a facelift at all? If so, how do they distinguish it between the EQS and S-Class, they wouldn't come up with something like S-Class Electric and S-Class Petrol/Gasoline/Diesel like how they called their SUV version of EQS, EQS SUV right? Mercedes also did say they are to go all electric by 2030. So it doesn't make sense for them to discontinue the W223 that soon (2025? way too soon.)

We all know the EQS is just a "placeholder" S-Class (at least that is what was suggested) until they come up with an actual S-Class EV and therefore called the S-Class (but an EV), because of that, it wouldn't make sense would it for them to simply remove the EQ branding from EQS, that wasn't their plan all along?

I mean, if they still wanted to stick with the original plan which is to build a new S-Class EV instead of just the EQS, I don't think the development will be completed and the vehicle will be ready for public release before 2025? Guess they will therefore just rename the EQS to S and call it a day?

Last but not least there is also that possibility as mentioned above, calling the W223 S-Class, S-Class and then the EQS, the S-Class hatchback until 2030 when the all new S-Class EV comes out?

Sorry if my questions are confusing, hopefully it is still clear enough to comprehend.

I will just put this here, talking about the "Strategy Update" a year? or so ago: https://media.mbusa.com/releases/rel...o-all-electric.
Old 01-13-2023, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 926 Likes on 606 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
Originally Posted by Newbyloub
What!?!
And lose the unique feature that will have value? Join the Johnny-come-lately buyers?
That doesn't make sense
I already have unique….

The following 6 users liked this post by Utopia Texas:
AppleFan1 (01-13-2023), js_cls (01-13-2023), pmichaelmd (01-13-2023), ScottC2 (01-13-2023), sno (01-16-2023), stewartmmorris (01-14-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-13-2023, 04:04 PM

Received 100 Likes on 75 Posts
EQE SUV 500 4Matic
Nice collection!!
Old 01-13-2023, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,585 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Hmmm, that makes me think actually, unless I am missing something... if they were to retire the EQS branding by the end of 2024, then where does the ICE W223 S-Class stand? Will it still get a facelift at all? If so, how do they distinguish it between the EQS and S-Class, they wouldn't come up with something like S-Class Electric and S-Class Petrol/Gasoline/Diesel like how they called their SUV version of EQS, EQS SUV right? Mercedes also did say they are to go all electric by 2030. So it doesn't make sense for them to discontinue the W223 that soon (2025? way too soon.)

We all know the EQS is just a "placeholder" S-Class (at least that is what was suggested) until they come up with an actual S-Class EV and therefore called the S-Class (but an EV), because of that, it wouldn't make sense would it for them to simply remove the EQ branding from EQS, that wasn't their plan all along?

I mean, if they still wanted to stick with the original plan which is to build a new S-Class EV instead of just the EQS, I don't think the development will be completed and the vehicle will be ready for public release before 2025? Guess they will therefore just rename the EQS to S and call it a day?

Last but not least there is also that possibility as mentioned above, calling the W223 S-Class, S-Class and then the EQS, the S-Class hatchback until 2030 when the all new S-Class EV comes out?

Sorry if my questions are confusing, hopefully it is still clear enough to comprehend.

I will just put this here, talking about the "Strategy Update" a year? or so ago: https://media.mbusa.com/releases/rel...o-all-electric.
I think they are suggesting after 2024 that products introduced from there on out will no longer feature the EQ branding, but rather just have typical nomenclature. Existing vehicles like the EQS and EQE will likely continue their names until their product cycles are over with successors set to replace it, which for the EQS will be the next-generation EV S-Class.

For example, there is an upcoming compact EV sedan set to replace the CLA, and feature the new MMA platform around 2024-2025. Months ago these spy photos were tagged as an EQA Sedan, but could very well likely just take the CLA name. The MMA platform can also support engines so the ICE variants of this car will look very similar. Perhaps they will do something like CLA 250, and CLA 250e? The Germans have always been foolish with their nomenclature so it seems like we won't know until it actually happens. The EQG could also be renamed to just a G 550e as well, but as for now it's a mystery. MB has also confirmed that after 2025, only EV platforms will be launched, with the MMA supporting compacts (like the spied EV below, possibly C and GLC EV's), MB.EA for mid-size and large (next-generation E & S-Class), and AMG.EA for AMG cars, so its likely that cars using those platforms will not feature EQ branding.

Last edited by js_cls; 01-13-2023 at 05:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bishop64 (01-13-2023)
Old 01-13-2023, 06:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,512 Likes on 2,136 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
I think they are suggesting after 2024 that products introduced from there on out will no longer feature the EQ branding, but rather just have typical nomenclature. Existing vehicles like the EQS and EQE will likely continue their names until their product cycles are over with successors set to replace it, which for the EQS will be the next-generation EV S-Class.

For example, there is an upcoming compact EV sedan set to replace the CLA, and feature the new MMA platform around 2024-2025. Months ago these spy photos were tagged as an EQA Sedan, but could very well likely just take the CLA name. The MMA platform can also support engines so the ICE variants of this car will look very similar. Perhaps they will do something like CLA 250, and CLA 250e? The Germans have always been foolish with their nomenclature so it seems like we won't know until it actually happens. The EQG could also be renamed to just a G 550e as well, but as for now it's a mystery. MB has also confirmed that after 2025, only EV platforms will be launched, with the MMA supporting compacts (like the spied EV below, possibly C and GLC EV's), MB.EA for mid-size and large (next-generation E & S-Class), and AMG.EA for AMG cars, so its likely that cars using those platforms will not feature EQ branding.

That explains it, thanks!
Old 01-13-2023, 08:01 PM

Received 396 Likes on 265 Posts
2021 S450 4Matic
Yes, I think current EQS will remain until the new/next S-Class comes out in full electrified form.
The current W223 is likely to the last gasoline S-Class. If MB sticks to the 'deadline' of 2030, then the W223 will likely to have a slightly longer model cycle years, perhaps from 7 (2021-2027) to 10 (2021-2030). The next S-Class (say, W224) will be Sedan and the current EQS will either disappear (more likely, IMHO) or rebadged as S-Class Hatchback (less likely).