EQS EQS (V297) sedan

Attention assist not working?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2023, 07:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
EQS 580
Attention assist not working?

So I have 2 EQS's: one with the hyperscreen, and one without. The one with the hyperscreen has obvious cutouts for the eye trackers in the instrument cluster, and you can see them blinking when you point a camera at it. The attention assist for this works without an issue, and if I so much as blink too hard a few times, it will flash me a warning (and it's not even on the sensitive setting).

The non-hyperscreen vehicle, however, has no apparent eye tracker in the instrument cluster, and when I point a camera at it, there is nothing blinking. I have never triggered a warning in this vehicle, despite having nearly fallen asleep a couple of times. I'm also not able to intentionally trigger it by closing my eyes for a few seconds. But when I scroll to the attention assist tab in the instrument cluster, it indicates that everything is on and working properly.

Is the attention assist in my non-hyperscreen EQS defective? Where is the eye tracker supposed to be? For those who have a non-hyperscreen EQS, have you triggered the warning before? And if so, what did you do to trigger it?
Old 02-08-2023, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,629 Posts
2019 C63CS
I don't believe the EQS w/o the Hyperscreen has eye tracking. The main reason for the eye tracking with the Hyperscreen is to turn off the passenger display if the driver looks at it and I guess since they are there, they've also enhanced the Attention Assist. With the 3D instrument cluster, there's also eye tracking for the 3D effect, but I don't know if this is only available in the S Class.

Attention Assist otherwise works by analyzing your steering inputs to determine if you are groggy. Basically the system can tell from how you are steering if you are exhausted. For example sudden steering corrections are a sign of driver inattentiveness. I once found a paper where they described how the system works and just how much they can derive from how a person steers. It was quite fascinating. Didn't bookmark it, though.

However, the Attention Assist has several situations when it suspends itself. For example if you adopt a sporty driving style it will suspend itself. If you use DISTRONIC with Steering Assist it also suspends itself. There are several other scenarios that should be listed in the owner's manual. Whenever I check mine out of curiosity it says suspended...haha, but I drive my AMG very dynamically and on long journeys I use DISTRONIC and Steering Assist.

Falling asleep behind the steering wheel in EVs is gonna be an issue. The silent and uninvolved driving experience will do that. Most people on the road are sleep deprived as it is.

Last edited by superswiss; 02-08-2023 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-09-2023, 02:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 297 Likes on 249 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
MBUX cars must have a sensitivity setting for Attention assist. I remember a long trip with my W222 where the attention assist started giving warnings towards the end of the trip. I believe I had sensitivity at the mid position and I was nowhere near to "fall asleep" (four people in the car) but the car must have sensed some reduced attention which I admit must have been spot on. I guess obvious that the 222 did not use any camera to watch after the driver.

Don't know if the EQS or the W223 is better avoiding false alarms with the camera. Haven't driven any trip that would have triggered these warnings.
Old 02-09-2023, 12:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
EQS 580
Originally Posted by superswiss
I don't believe the EQS w/o the Hyperscreen has eye tracking. The main reason for the eye tracking with the Hyperscreen is to turn off the passenger display if the driver looks at it and I guess since they are there, they've also enhanced the Attention Assist. With the 3D instrument cluster, there's also eye tracking for the 3D effect, but I don't know if this is only available in the S Class.

Attention Assist otherwise works by analyzing your steering inputs to determine if you are groggy. Basically the system can tell from how you are steering if you are exhausted. For example sudden steering corrections are a sign of driver inattentiveness. I once found a paper where they described how the system works and just how much they can derive from how a person steers. It was quite fascinating. Didn't bookmark it, though.

However, the Attention Assist has several situations when it suspends itself. For example if you adopt a sporty driving style it will suspend itself. If you use DISTRONIC with Steering Assist it also suspends itself. There are several other scenarios that should be listed in the owner's manual. Whenever I check mine out of curiosity it says suspended...haha, but I drive my AMG very dynamically and on long journeys I use DISTRONIC and Steering Assist.

Falling asleep behind the steering wheel in EVs is gonna be an issue. The silent and uninvolved driving experience will do that. Most people on the road are sleep deprived as it is.
You're right, attention assist is disabled when using distronic with steering assist. They were both on during the times I nearly fell asleep, which was why it didn't activate the attention assist.

I guess the non-hyperscreen vehicles do not have the eye tracker. Kind of disappointing as that would add an extra layer of protection.