EQS EQS (V297) sedan

Concerned about recent value drop on the EQS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2024, 07:10 AM

Received 342 Likes on 213 Posts
2008 CL550, 2022 EQB300, 2022 EQS580
Since we're off topic and talking about performance...my SA let me take out an EQE AMG last week....omg, the performance! I thought our EQS 580 was fast, but this was bonkers. And glued to the ground with the heavy battery under the floor. It was so fast that it almost seemed dangerous to me. It had a little bit of torque steer at takeoff as the computers couldn't quite compensate for the power. My conclusion was it was just too much...if I wanted an EQE, the 500 seems to me to be the sweet spot. For serious speed freaks who want the fastest thing out there, I dunno...the AMG is faster and probably handles (?) just as good or better than almost everything, without all the drama of a super complicated engine stuffed into the engine bay. But to each his/her own.
The following users liked this post:
AppleFan1 (06-29-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 07:30 AM

Received 342 Likes on 213 Posts
2008 CL550, 2022 EQB300, 2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by J_Boxer
It looks like this thread has taken a detour down the winding road of tangents. But, hey, I'm not one to shy away from belaboring my thoughts. Two cents incoming - brace for impact! 🚀"

Let's talk about surveillance and privacy in the US. We've got cameras on every street corner, drones in the sky, and even our phones are tracking our every move. It's like we're living in a real-life version of "1984," but with less Big Brother and more big data.

You might be wondering if all this spying is a violation of our rights. But in the era of social media, everyone is oversharing their personal information online, so it's not exactly a secret. Before you start complaining about your privacy, at least we're not living in North Korea, where the government puts cameras in people's homes and listens in on every conversation. It's like an episode of Black Mirror come to life. North Korea takes surveillance to a whole new level with cameras everywhere, including inside people's homes. If you think Alexa is intrusive, imagine Kim Jong-un watching you while sitting on the toilet. And forget about making anti-government comments; they're listening in on those, too.

Let's take a look at other countries. Russia, for instance, shuts down opposition websites and jails journalists for speaking out. We're lucky to have some of the strongest privacy laws in the world. At least our government isn't actively trying to crush dissent. And if the worst thing the government finds out about you is your secret obsession with "Tiger King," then you're probably doing just fine.

So, what's the verdict? Should we be up in arms about the government and businesses peeking into our private lives, or should we accept it as the new normal and embrace our inner exhibitionists? Well, I think it's a little bit of both. We should be aware of the risks and take steps to protect our privacy, but let's face it, most of us aren't that interesting. Sometimes, I wonder what would happen if the government decided to take a peek into my internet shenanigans. But honestly, they better be ready for some seriously boring browsing history. I mostly watch cat videos and memes. There's nothing scandalous here! And let's be honest if they ever spy on me while binge-watching Netflix and eating cereal in my snuggie; they'll be bored out of their minds in no time and questioning their life choices. So, I don't think they'll find anything interesting about me.
If the government does happen to find out about my secret love for '90s boy bands, I guess that's just the price I pay for living in the digital age.
Same. This was really funny. Anyone looking at my browsing history could enjoy Eagles videos, researching my next CL550 project, checking the weather, and reading the Washington Post. On the one hand, I've got nothing to hide. On the other, it is just creepy that every keystroke is logged and my every movement is tracked. Anyone who has been online in the last 20 years has long ago given away all their data without permission to those looking to monetize us. Why showing me ads for stupid worthless products tailored to my supposed interests is valuable, I do not know. If anything, I'd specifically not buy anything shown to me in an ad because I detest the industry. The EU is starting to make meaningful reforms such as the "right to be forgotten". It would be nice, but hard to believe, that our government will enact serious reform to put us in control of our own data, and rescind the implied consent which forms the foundation of big tech.
Old 06-29-2024, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 400 Likes on 275 Posts
2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
Doesn't matter because it all trickles DOWN from the money masters at the top. They can literally pull dollars out the crack of their @$$. Fine Google a billion and they'll just print a billion more for Google.
MB37 (06-29-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 12:10 PM

Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts
23' EQS AMG
Originally Posted by wildta
Just an FYI, the new 911 T-Hybrid adds 110lbs compared to its predecessor (so 3% increase), an additional cost increase of $16k (9.7% increase), and the new turbo hybrid adds 61hp (12.7% increase) with a much better torque curve because of the electric turbo and electric motor.
Sorry, it was a typo on my end. It should be 'without' a lot of weight added for the 911 hybrid.
Old 06-29-2024, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,688 Likes on 1,724 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
If it makes you guys feel any better, I'm trading my 20 S560 in on a 24 S580, and the depreciation is just below $1,400 a month, and thats calculating off of what I paid for it which was $20k off MSRP at the time. So...all these things are eye wateringly expensive.

But....YOLO!
Old 06-29-2024, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I really don't want another German car but with all this anti-China hate preventing me from buying a cool EV, it looks like Porsche might be my best option.

While Mercedes was "rethinking" the guys at Porsche kept going full-steam ahead:
Old 06-29-2024, 12:43 PM

23' EQS AMG
Crito, I got 2 choices for you: I'll buy you a 1 way ticket to China (cargo ship)and you can drive a China EV back to the US (with floaties), or I can get you a 6 pack of Hofbrauhaus beer?
Old 06-29-2024, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nah, you just have to know how to play the injustice system's legal game. I'll buy a BYD in Mexico and just drive across the border. NAFTA baby! But what I really want is one of these (LOL):

Considering I'm still waiting for duh gubmint to approve my digital headlights though, I'm guessing eVTOL approval might take a while.
MBNUT1 (06-30-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 726 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by MB37
I think for ICE, the ideal weight is around 3100-3850 lbs. A lighter car even with less HP/torque is very fun to drive on curves, or canyon roads, or track, or anything that requires the frequent change in direction and speed. Less weight is preferred.

We are seeing two ways in which to execute hybrid technology. The new 911 hybrid employs a smaller battery enough to take advantage of the electric motor torque with a lot of weight added. On the other hand, the new g90 m5 employs a bigger battery for short electric runs of 30+ miles and torque but sacrifice in much added weight. If you don't do a lot of canyon carving or track, the m5 hybrids works. Personally, I prefer full EV. Little to no gearing required and power and torque at any speed. The Achille's heel of full EV is the weight and greater energy consumption at higher speed, of course. I don't know if we will ever solve the weight to energy density issue, but other techs such as quad motors, rear wheel steering, and active suspension/damping will certainty make a heavier vehicle as competitively fun to drive as a less powered lighter vehicle.
Are you meaning that because the energy consumption goes up at speed (for any vehicle), that results in increased required battery capacity / weight vs ICE where the additional weight for the additional energy would be negligible?
Old 06-29-2024, 09:22 PM

23' EQS AMG
Originally Posted by Crito
Nah, you just have to know how to play the injustice system's legal game. I'll buy a BYD in Mexico and just drive across the border. NAFTA baby! But what I really want is one of these (LOL):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcdPyzCgkZk

Considering I'm still waiting for duh gubmint to approve my digital headlights though, I'm guessing eVTOL approval might take a while.
There's ways around that too. It's called life flight.
Old 06-29-2024, 09:30 PM

23' EQS AMG
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
Are you meaning that because the energy consumption goes up at speed (for any vehicle), that results in increased required battery capacity / weight vs ICE where the additional weight for the additional energy would be negligible?
This site can explain it better than me. You are right on.
https://www.recurrentauto.com/resear...0high%20speeds.

A real world demo of this dynamic is when a Plaid track pack goes full speed (~170+ mph), the battery will drain in about ~15 minutes.
MBNUT1 (06-30-2024)