“Stop and charge 12 volt battery”.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2023, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 216 Posts
2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by AppleFan1
I never got a chance to take a picture since my phone was in my pocket and by the time I got it ready, the message disappeared. This happened multiple times. In any case, it’s a moot point since my dealer treats me very well. I’m going to the dealer in 1.5 hours and when I start the car I’ll have the phone ready to take a picture of the message comes up.

I was able to take a picture after I started the car a couple hours ago. It’s happening more frequently now. I’m at the dealer now. The service advisor is almost 100% sure the battery has had it. He says it’s happening fairly frequently. Hopefully, it will take less than an hour from now to replace it.
For the first time, the app now say’s partially charged.
Old 02-15-2023, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,120 Likes on 732 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Ideed it seems there has been some issue with the 12v charging system. These batteries should not be dying just like that. Loose cables, bad batteries etc?
Old 02-15-2023, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
Amazing happening! One of the guys at the shop said he cannot replace the battery because Mercedes needs some sort of verification and that they will charge the dealer the cost of the battery so he can’t do it. He told me they are charging the original battery. I said that’s bull crap. He got ahold of the service manager who knows me very well. The service manager just came up to me and he told me that I will cost them money but he told the guy to replace the battery, period because I’m such a good customer. I guess it costs about $300.

Edit: The general manager just came up to me and we talked about the issue. He totally agreed with me. Evidently, there have been so many of these cases that Mercedes told the dealers that if the original battery passes a test, it cannot be replaced. It has to fail some sort of test. In any case, I’m getting a brand new battery.

As an aside (Tesla owners close your eyes), the GM also told me that recently someone wanted to turn in his Tesla and buy an EQS. The GM refused to deal. He said that Tesla is the worst car on the road these days. It’s junk.

Last edited by AppleFan1; 02-15-2023 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-15-2023, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,629 Posts
2019 C63CS
Amazing happening! One of the guys at the shop said he cannot replace the battery because Mercedes needs some sort of verification and that they will charge the dealer the cost of the battery so he can’t do it. He told me they are charging the original battery. I said that’s bull crap. He got ahold of the service manager who knows me very well. The service manager just came up to me and he told me that I will cost them money but he told the guy to replace the battery, period because I’m such a good customer. I guess it costs about $300.

Edit: The general manager just came up to me and we talked about the issue. He totally agreed with me. Evidently, there have been so many of these cases that Mercedes told the dealers that if the original battery passes a test, it cannot be replaced. It has to fail some sort of test. In any case, I’m getting a brand new battery.

As an aside (Tesla owners close your eyes), the GM also told me that recently someone wanted to turn in his Tesla and buy an EQS. The GM refused to deal. He said that Tesla is the worst car on the road these days. It’s junk.
Yes, Mercedes has made it extremely difficult to replace batteries. My SA told me the same thing. They have to do a specific test and unless the battery fails the test, Mercedes will not cover a replacement, but he said nothing about them getting charged for the test. He said it's extremely difficult for a battery to fail the test. Pretty ridiculous. It's affecting all models and my SA said even cars that were towed in with a dead battery still often pass the test, so no new battery for them. I had them look at my battery of my '19 C63S coupe. I don't really have issues with it. It holds a charge just fine even though the car sits for days at a time, but the last two times I used my trickle charger it reported that the battery was bad halfway through, but it did finish charging it after restarting the trickle charger. So not sure if it's my trickle charger or something going on with the battery. Needless to say, the battery past the MB test, so I don't know. I guess as long as it doesn't go flat and I don't get any errors it must be ok.
The following users liked this post:
AppleFan1 (02-15-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 07:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,654 Likes on 2,257 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)

Wait, if I am understanding this correctly but the GM doesn't want to help the poor soul by giving them a hand when they clearly see that they are stuck in quicksand (Tesla in this case) and just let them be? I would had thought the dealership in this case would had said let's help you get rid of that so you can enjoy a better vehicle...?
Old 02-15-2023, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,629 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Wait, if I am understanding this correctly but the GM doesn't want to help the poor soul by giving them a hand when they clearly see that they are stuck in quicksand (Tesla in this case) and just let them be? I would had thought the dealership in this case would had said let's help you get rid of that so you can enjoy a better vehicle...?
I think what it meant was that the GM wouldn't wanna give him a deal, because he has to get rid of that Tesla afterwards. Not sure who'd look for a used Tesla at an MB dealership and not sure what they fetch on the wholesale market. I think outside of the Tesla fanboys the hype isn't catching on with the regular people looking for a new car and specifically an EV. Rumor is sales are dropping, which is why Musk aggressively lowered the price of them recently, pissing off everybody who had just bought one shortly before the price drop. The price drop also effectively instantly depreciated used Teslas. I wouldn't wanna sit on one as a dealership.
AppleFan1 (02-15-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 07:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,654 Likes on 2,257 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by superswiss
I think what it meant was that the GM wouldn't wanna give him a deal, because he has to get rid of that Tesla afterwards. Not sure who'd look for a used Tesla at an MB dealership and not sure what they fetch on the wholesale market. I think outside of the Tesla fanboys the hype isn't catching on with the regular people looking for a new car and specifically an EV. Rumor is sales are dropping, which is why Musk aggressively lowered the price of them recently, pissing off everybody who had just bought one shortly before the price drop. The price drop also effectively instantly depreciated used Teslas. I wouldn't wanna sit on one as a dealership.
Ah that makes much more sense, thanks for the explanation, I guess so now that you mentioned it, those don't fair well in auctions too.
Old 02-15-2023, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by superswiss
Exactly!!
Old 02-16-2023, 05:28 PM

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
2023 Mercedes ESQ SUV 580 ● 2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge

I've owned a Tesla Model S for more than 5 (almost flawless) years. First year I had to have the door handles replaced (Tesla mobile tech did it at my work). Second year they replaced a blower motor. Since then, all has been perfect. I'm kinda second guessing myself as to why I want to give up a reliable Tesla for the EQS SUV 580 that I have on order. I understand that the owners in this forum only post their issues and I'm hoping that the vast majority of EQS SUV owners are having a great ownership experience ... I hope.
ScottC2 (02-17-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by LasVegas_89135
I've owned a Tesla Model S for more than 5 (almost flawless) years. First year I had to have the door handles replaced (Tesla mobile tech did it at my work). Second year they replaced a blower motor. Since then, all has been perfect. I'm kinda second guessing myself as to why I want to give up a reliable Tesla for the EQS SUV 580 that I have on order. I understand that the owners in this forum only post their issues and I'm hoping that the vast majority of EQS SUV owners are having a great ownership experience ... I hope.
Did you hear the news from today? Tesla is recalling something like 362,000 Teslas from 2016-2023 due to multiple problems with the auto pilot and other issues. I know I would never buy one.
Old 03-02-2023, 06:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2023 EQS 580
We’ve gotten a critical 12v battery error but that was when it was in for PPF and ceramic coat for a few days. The shop guys has the doors and hood open for a long time.
Old 03-02-2023, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by xder345
We’ve gotten a critical 12v battery error but that was when it was in for PPF and ceramic coat for a few days. The shop guys has the doors and hood open for a long time.
That definitely drains the 12V battery.
Old 03-03-2023, 03:07 PM

Received 456 Likes on 287 Posts
2022 EQS 450+
Originally Posted by xder345
I've mentioned this once before, but here goes again. There is a little button on the right of the overhead switch console which turns off the interior big lights, so that they do not come on if you open your doors. I used it when I had my tint done, and had no problems with 12v battery alarms.
LasVegas_89135 (03-03-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 01:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 297 Likes on 249 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by hlothery
I've mentioned this once before, but here goes again. There is a little button on the right of the overhead switch console which turns off the interior big lights, so that they do not come on if you open your doors. I used it when I had my tint done, and had no problems with 12v battery alarms.
Switching off any consumers helps but the LEDs for interior illumination consume a fraction of the current the rest of the car consumes when "awake". Cannot be the only difference between cars getting flat battery and yours.
Old 07-16-2023, 02:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
09 Aston Martin Vantage Roadster
Interesting that Mercedes lists this trickle charger as an accessory for the EQS.

https://www.mbusa.com/en/accessories.../0:A0009822921

How would this be used?
Old 07-16-2023, 05:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by noobified
Interesting that Mercedes lists this trickle charger as an accessory for the EQS.

https://www.mbusa.com/en/accessories.../0:A0009822921

How would this be used?
Just like on any car. I guess your point is that the hood is not supposed to be opened which is necessary to access the charge poles.
Old 07-16-2023, 08:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 927 Likes on 606 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
It also looks like the ESQ 12v battery can be charged with that set up by way of the accessory plug near the glove box many have without opening the hood. Why some ESQ’s do not have this plug is a mystery to me….
Old 07-16-2023, 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Utopia Texas
It also looks like the ESQ 12v battery can be charged with that set up by way of the accessory plug near the glove box many have without opening the hood. Why some ESQ’s do not have this plug is a mystery to me….
Is the accessory plug connected to circuit 30 (permanent power) on an EQS? Older models often had an option via two fuse positions, later ones usually have only circuit 15 power (switched).

Accessory plug probably protected by a 15 A fuse, good enough for typical maintenance chargers.
Old 07-16-2023, 09:12 AM

Received 267 Likes on 159 Posts
EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Is the accessory plug connected to circuit 30 (permanent power) on an EQS? Older models often had an option via two fuse positions, later ones usually have only circuit 15 power (switched).

Accessory plug probably protected by a 15 A fuse, good enough for typical maintenance chargers.
The accessory plug in the cargo compartment of an EQS SUV is on a time-delayed switched circuit protected by a 25A fuse. I believe the actual 12v socket is rated at 15A.
Diesel Benz (07-16-2023)
Old 07-16-2023, 11:41 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2020 GLE 450 + 2019 Audi eTron
Originally Posted by Utopia Texas
in regards to the accessory plug, my thoughts are, it is included (front and rear) on cars WITHOUT run flat tires. As my EQS was supplied with an electric air pump and tire fix. In cars with run flats they don’t supply pump nor plug points. Just a hunch.
Old 07-16-2023, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
You charge the 12V like you would any car. Opening the hood has been discussed numerous times on the forum. It's not an issue. I got rid of little cover a long time ago.
Old 07-17-2023, 05:28 AM

Does anyone have a picture of the positive and negative terminals for the 12v battery under the hood?
Old 07-17-2023, 08:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Does anyone have a picture of the positive and negative terminals for the 12v battery under the hood?
They are like any other Mercedes a red box and a brass post. Passenger side towards the rear of the hood. The battery is not visible covered by a plastic shroud.
Old 07-17-2023, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by c4004matic
They are like any other Mercedes a red box and a brass post. Passenger side towards the rear of the hood. The battery is not visible covered by a plastic shroud.
Are you using this particular 12V trickle charger on your EQS?
Old 07-17-2023, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Are you using this particular 12V trickle charger on your EQS?
I've never had to. I bought them for my MB ICE vehicles. My EQS is a daily driver, it's never "parked" for over a week or 2. If I parked it for mths on end I would.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: “Stop and charge 12 volt battery”.