EQS EQS (V297) sedan

What I miss about my EEQS450 (and what I don't)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2023, 10:08 AM

Received 261 Likes on 155 Posts
2018 S560; 2022 EQS450+
What I miss about my EEQS450 (and what I don't)

In some degree, listed by significance...
1. Four-wheel steering - huge loss.
2. Not refueling (charging) at home instead of a gas pump.
3. Smooth and comfortable ride - big loss for my dear wife. The Body control ride on our S Class comes within 90%, and I can live with that.
4. The beauty of my lovely Cardinal Red ride,
5. The steady flow of compliments - made up to a large extent by the steady flow of compliments on my '18 Emerald Green S560.
6. The seat adjustment touch-only button (instead of having to hold it down.
7. The very large trunk capacity,

What I don;t miss:
1. The touch/slide finger controls.
2. The butt-ugly big center screen. At least I never had to deal with an even uglier HyperScreen.
3. The difficulty in sitting so I can see the turn signal arrows at work.
4. Having the light grey leather on the surfaces that are frequently and unavoidably touched.
5. Dealing upgrades that don't happen.

Anyone wish to join in???
Old 05-27-2023, 12:33 PM

Received 361 Likes on 257 Posts
'16 C450, '21 Dad Wagon Pilot, '22 Wrangler 4xe
There's a beautiful Cardinal Red waiting for you inside the detail building.
Old 05-27-2023, 12:45 PM

Received 456 Likes on 287 Posts
2022 EQS 450+
I love all those things you miss. Also:

1. I like the center screen - YMMV
2. I've learned to use the touch/slides with just a flick of the finger. If you try to hold your finger on it and slide it doesn't work well, but a flick is magic.
3. The absolute killer Burmester stereo
4. My black nappa leather

I have no complaints. Love my EQS.

The following users liked this post:
AppleFan1 (05-28-2023)
Old 05-27-2023, 01:07 PM

2018 S560; 2022 EQS450+
I know.

Chris told me.

But you all don't understand...

I don't want another EQS - Cardinal Red or any other color EQS. I was busting to get one, and I had one, and now I don't want another one.

It's too soon, too early for this jump into EVs. The governments push, for political reasons, but there's no working infrastructure to support their political goals. And where's the power coming from? They closing fossil fuel power plants. They're subsidizing with taxpayers $$ the windmills, the farms of panels that cover up the landscape. And none of this will create the charging points that would be needed if all the EVs the governments want are built. Multiple working chargers stations at every intersection that now has gas pumps? Charging points in every little village that now has gas pumps? You won't live to see it happen. Not gonna happen.

Your dealership is sending out mailers of special events, trying to move unsold, and not-selling inventory, at great expense. And, I don't think it's going to work.

Tell you what - I'm bringing my S560 in for an A service at 10;30 am next Wednesday, June 7th.. Come find me, you, and Chris, and your sales buddies, and entertain me by explaining to me why your lot is filling up with unsold EVs. Just come to the lounge and ask for Lou. I'll have a couple of canes with me. Are you all up for it?
The following 2 users liked this post by Newbyloub:
Revice (06-08-2023), Sunbeltgolfer11 (05-29-2023)
Old 05-27-2023, 03:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cadillac ELR. EQS450+
I cannot see, nor hear the turn signals on my newly acquired EQS 450+
Old 05-27-2023, 04:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cadillac ELR. EQS450+
And I miss the digital rearview mirror camera (no blindspots) and walk-away locking of my lowly Chevy Bolt
Old 05-27-2023, 06:44 PM

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
Presently 19 S560 SEDAN, 2014 XK, SOLD GLE 450e
Originally Posted by Newbyloub
In some degree, listed by significance...
1. Four-wheel steering - huge loss.
2. Not refueling (charging) at home instead of a gas pump.
3. Smooth and comfortable ride - big loss for my dear wife. The Body control ride on our S Class comes within 90%, and I can live with that.
4. The beauty of my lovely Cardinal Red ride,
5. The steady flow of compliments - made up to a large extent by the steady flow of compliments on my '18 Emerald Green S560.
6. The seat adjustment touch-only button (instead of having to hold it down.
7. The very large trunk capacity,

What I don;t miss:
1. The touch/slide finger controls.
2. The butt-ugly big center screen. At least I never had to deal with an even uglier HyperScreen.
3. The difficulty in sitting so I can see the turn signal arrows at work.
4. Having the light grey leather on the surfaces that are frequently and unavoidably touched.
5. Dealing upgrades that don't happen.

Anyone wish to join in???
I like the suspension. I think it's better than my S560.

I don't like a car that can't travel more than 475 miles without stopping. Ft Worth to Van Horn, Texas

I don't like the door handles that, at least once a month, try to close on my hand.

I don't like MY left hand mirror that shows a red triangle even when there is no car within a quater mile of me. That's on me for not complaining to the dealer at 20K miiles.

I don't like the bald rear tires at 18K miles. I'm not a teenager and don't drive like one.

I do not like the herky jerky backing down my driveway to enter the street.

Most all of this is on me. I traded my Tesla S Model for this EQS because, I said to myself, if I'm going to own a car that can't go anywhere I might at least be comfortable. Sometimes I forget my reason for buying the EQS, It is comfortable for me at least.

Noticed my neighbor across the street bought a new '23 SL convertable and traded in his SL550 for it. I'm envious.
Revice (06-08-2023)
Old 05-27-2023, 07:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,654 Likes on 2,257 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by HAILERS2

I don't like a car that can't travel more than 475 miles without stopping. Ft Worth to Van Horn, Texas

I don't like the door handles that, at least once a month, try to close on my hand.

I don't like MY left hand mirror that shows a red triangle even when there is no car within a quater mile of me. That's on me for not complaining to the dealer at 20K miiles.

I don't like the bald rear tires at 18K miles. I'm not a teenager and don't drive like one.

I do not like the herky jerky backing down my driveway to enter the street.

Most all of this is on me. I traded my Tesla S Model for this EQS because, I said to myself, if I'm going to own a car that can't go anywhere I might at least be comfortable. Sometimes I forget my reason for buying the EQS, It is comfortable for me at least.

Noticed my neighbor across the street bought a new '23 SL convertable and traded in his SL550 for it. I'm envious.
I still am confused why this happens, saw multiple complaints on that specific subject in that thread no one ever figured this out? It does not have a transmission so it makes no sense.
Old 05-27-2023, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,025 Likes on 743 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
I know.

Chris told me.

I don't want another EQS - Cardinal Red or any other color EQS. I was busting to get one, and I had one, and now I don't want another one.

It's too soon, too early for this jump into EVs. The governments push, for political reasons, but there's no working infrastructure to support their political goals. And where's the power coming from? They closing fossil fuel power plants. They're subsidizing with taxpayers $$ the windmills, the farms of panels that cover up the landscape. And none of this will create the charging points that would be needed if all the EVs the governments want are built. Multiple working chargers stations at every intersection that now has gas pumps? Charging points in every little village that now has gas pumps? You won't live to see it happen. Not gonna happen.

Your dealership is sending out mailers of special events, trying to move unsold, and not-selling inventory, at great expense. And, I don't think it's going to work.

Tell you what - I'm bringing my S560 in for an A service at 10;30 am next Wednesday, June 7th.. Come find me, you, and Chris, and your sales buddies, and entertain me by explaining to me why your lot is filling up with unsold EVs. Just come to the lounge and ask for Lou. I'll have a couple of canes with me. Are you all up for it?
How often did you drive your S560 rather than your EQS450+ due to infrastructure concerns?
Old 05-28-2023, 04:34 AM

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts
No Mercedes yet
Multiple working chargers stations at every intersection that now has gas pumps? Charging points in every little village that now has gas pumps? You won't live to see it happen. Not gonna happen.
I can't tell if this is sarcasm - but if it's not, then you're missing the point. You don't need charging stations to be as ubiquitous as gas pumps - because most EV charging will be done at home. EVs are a paradigm shift.
The following 2 users liked this post by finlayson:
MBNUT1 (05-28-2023), Ormond2004 (06-02-2023)
Old 05-28-2023, 08:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2022 EQS 580
Originally Posted by hlothery
I love all those things you miss. Also:

1. I like the center screen - YMMV
2. I've learned to use the touch/slides with just a flick of the finger. If you try to hold your finger on it and slide it doesn't work well, but a flick is magic.
3. The absolute killer Burmester stereo
4. My black nappa leather

I have no complaints. Love my EQS.

agree 100%
AppleFan1 (05-28-2023)
Old 05-28-2023, 10:20 AM

2018 S560; 2022 EQS450+
Originally Posted by finlayson
I can't tell if this is sarcasm - but if it's not, then you're missing the point. You don't need charging stations to be as ubiquitous as gas pumps - because most EV charging will be done at home. EVs are a paradigm shift.
We see things differently...and, no, it most definitely not sarcasm. Your thinking really surprises me,

Given the paltry number of EVs on the road, I don't see how you can draw any conclusions such as you have.

The recently-announced Tesla-Ford charger program, will, in my opinion, take a very long time to reach the point where anyone can decide how, or if, it has helped either party.
Old 05-28-2023, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by MBNUT1
How often did you drive your S560 rather than your EQS450+ due to infrastructure concerns?
Every time I drove to Rohnert Park, Ca from Ft Worth about three times a yea.....took the S560 or GLS instead. Each time I drove north to Holdrege, Ne and back....took the S560 instead.

I do things that are peculiar. I often drive from Ft Worth to either just Eastland or Sweetwater for absolutley no good reason other than to go for a Sunday drive on any day b/t Sunday and Saturday. I do enjoy driving the EQS. It's just that it goes nowhere that I really want to go to. Same with the Tesla S Models, although toward the end of the Tesla owership, they installed a Tesla SuperCharger station in Corpus Christi.....finally, and I could go surf fishing with just one stop coming and going at Del Valle, Texas near the Tesla factory by a few miles or so.

Real tempted to buy a used S560 Coupe again and trade this EQS in. Need to go look at Car Gurus today or Park Place Motors.

Over 80 yres of age and not keen on dealing with things that might or might not happen to infrastructure .

Last edited by HAILERS2; 05-28-2023 at 01:17 PM.
Revice (06-08-2023)
Old 05-28-2023, 01:25 PM

Charging at home.......for people who go nowhere imho. I read Inside EV's online mag and just wonder about all those remarks made to articles about charging and trips etc. I quit responding to them and just shake my head and roll my eyes. In the 70's through the 90's I get off work at LMT and drive down to Bird Island Basin every time the weather man said the wind would ge blowing fifteen to twenty five mph. Over a dozen times a year, so I do not and will not ever, ever understand filling the car up at home talk. I do fill up at home though but Corpus is not near enough to Home or Ca or Ne or Alberta nor Ruby Beach. I'll stop writing now and go drive my EQS out to Eastland for no good reason other than the Indy 500 will be over and I can fast fwd through all the wrecks and commercials.
Old 05-28-2023, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 927 Likes on 606 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
It all depends on one’s lifestyle. I have averaged 1200+ miles every month on my 580 SUV since last October and have never used a charger on the road. Our country house is 30 miles in one direction in Cat Spring and our beach home in Galveston is 85 miles away in the other direction. I have no need for a EV with any more mileage or chargers on the road. Folks need to quit stereotyping others needs and lifestyles.

Last edited by Utopia Texas; 05-28-2023 at 04:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Utopia Texas:
js_cls (05-28-2023), MBNUT1 (05-28-2023)
Old 05-28-2023, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
My wife has driven our new to us 240 mile range EV 3000 miles which include weekly 200 mile round trips to her mothers and only fast charged it once and that was just an experiment to make sure she knew how to should the need arise.

Additionally home solar panels will tend to reduce the burden that EV's will place on the grid. I just did a calculation that indicates that we could drive 58k miles a year from solar energy we would collect on our roof.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 05-28-2023 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-28-2023, 03:40 PM

2018 S560; 2022 EQS450+
Everyone is different.

Everyone’s story is valid.

At 91, I like things to be simple. My 78 yr-old wife loves to drive and does well over 95% of the miles we drive together.

Only three of our nine children live close enough for us to make a non-charging EV trip.

To my knowledge there’s one public charger within 20+ miles, and I’m guessing it’s a Tesla.

When I bought my ‘22 450+ (the first delivered in Cincinnati), I knew it would be a local or short-trip driver.

I’m totally happy without the EQS and with my Emerald ‘18 S560.
MBNUT1 (05-28-2023)
Old 05-29-2023, 03:41 AM

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts
No Mercedes yet
We see things differently...
That's for sure.

Given the paltry number of EVs on the road
You should come to Mountain View, California (San Francisco Bay Area), where I live. Sometimes it feels like half the cars you see here are EVs. Yes, that's an exaggeration - but not by much; there really have been times where I've seen 4 or 5 EVs in a row here. (And probably most of them charge at home (or perhaps at a charger at work).)

I find it bizarre that there are still people out there who seem to think that EVs are some kind of fad.
Old 05-29-2023, 06:53 AM

2018 S560; 2022 EQS450+
During my travels around 49 states beginning 1933 (not Alaska) I have made a couple of vey pleasant visits to the SF area, last one around ’94, but I cannot imagine returning to the Left Coast.

Last edited by Newbyloub; 05-29-2023 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-31-2023, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
That's for sure.

You should come to Mountain View, California (San Francisco Bay Area), where I live. Sometimes it feels like half the cars you see here are EVs. Yes, that's an exaggeration - but not by much; there really have been times where I've seen 4 or 5 EVs in a row here. (And probably most of them charge at home (or perhaps at a charger at work).)

I find it bizarre that there are still people out there who seem to think that EVs are some kind of fad.
Last time I was in Mountain View California I was on the back of a California Division of Forestry fire truck.
Old 06-07-2023, 08:41 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
EQS 450
I can't wait to get rid of my EQS 450 so I can start to miss it
The following 2 users liked this post by vhooloo:
HAILERS2 (06-22-2023), Revice (06-08-2023)
Old 06-07-2023, 08:44 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
EQS 450
Originally Posted by HAILERS2

I don't think the EQS is better than an S class...
Old 06-22-2023, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
I know.

Chris told me.

Well did they take you up on your offer?
Old 06-22-2023, 10:05 AM

2018 S560; 2022 EQS450+
Haven’t heard a word…

The showroom/sales area is/was being completely renovated when I was there for my service, with a temporary add-on office structure sticking out into the parking area.

Over the past few weeks they’ve run several special sales events, featuring EVs. I think they have 50+ units in inventory, and there’s no question they are pushing to move them

When it took place, I don’t know, but the ownership has changed; new owners supposedly have 50+ dealerships.
MBNUT1 (06-22-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
Wasn't aware of that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: What I miss about my EEQS450 (and what I don't)