EQS EQS (V297) sedan

Steering System Warning Light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2023, 06:42 AM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
EQS 580
Unhappy Steering System Warning Light

Yesterday, I went out to the garage to take care of something not related to my Black EQS. I leave the car unlocked. Shortly, I heard music coming from the care and the center screen lit up, plus the lights on the door handles not lit up. The car sensed my key fob and woke up. So I figured the car was having a software hissy as it is know to do. When I opened the door, the orange warning light for the steering system came on. I turned the car on and off. The light remained on. So, I shut the car down and locked it. I came back after 12 hours. The software seemed normal during the start up except for the warning light and the lights on the handle.

I would have thought that I would get that light while driving the car as opposed to getting it only when entering the car with it off. I have driven the car since getting the light and the steering seems normal to include the rear wheel steering.

I was wondering if anyone has had this light and what was the cause. Also, is it possible to reset it with an OBD 2 reader (in case, once on it takes a reset)? I have schedule an appointment with my dealer, but won't get in until the 21st.

Regretfully, this will be the 6th time in 9 months that my car has been in for service. While our grey EQS is just fine, this black one has been a pain. Appreciate any incite you may have on this problem.
Old 06-09-2023, 11:14 AM

Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts
S580
Originally Posted by jlt1112
I leave the car unlocked. Shortly, I heard music coming from the car
I had that happen at least twice when I was near my car in the garage but not intending to drive. I assume it would have stopped after a period of no activity, but if it happened at night it could have disturbed someone.

I keep my key in a room over the garage. As I have surveillance cameras, I can see the lights on the car light even just opening the drawer the keys are in. I since started to double tap locking the car to stop that. The down side is that you need the push the unlock button on the remote to unlock the car as it doesn't unlock by being near it or swiping the handle.
Old 06-09-2023, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,103 Likes on 727 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Yesterday, I went out to the garage to take care of something not related to my Black EQS. I leave the car unlocked. Shortly, I heard music coming from the care and the center screen lit up, plus the lights on the door handles not lit up. The car sensed my key fob and woke up. So I figured the car was having a software hissy as it is know to do. When I opened the door, the orange warning light for the steering system came on. I turned the car on and off. The light remained on. So, I shut the car down and locked it. I came back after 12 hours. The software seemed normal during the start up except for the warning light and the lights on the handle.

I would have thought that I would get that light while driving the car as opposed to getting it only when entering the car with it off. I have driven the car since getting the light and the steering seems normal to include the rear wheel steering.

I was wondering if anyone has had this light and what was the cause. Also, is it possible to reset it with an OBD 2 reader (in case, once on it takes a reset)? I have schedule an appointment with my dealer, but won't get in until the 21st.

Regretfully, this will be the 6th time in 9 months that my car has been in for service. While our grey EQS is just fine, this black one has been a pain. Appreciate any incite you may have on this problem.
Haven't had the issue. Furthermore I haven't had hissy fits for months now, all the updates have gone smoothly. Fingers crossed.
Old 06-09-2023, 08:35 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
EQS
My 580 had an issue today in the office garage. Hyperscreen wouldn't turn on (and neither would the passenger screen); pretty much anything with a sensor didn't work--lane assist, traffic sign assist, heads up display, braking assist, etc. I turned the car off and on and had the same issue. Called MB on the way home and was told that it was a known problem with the 22's when cars reach around 30k miles (mine has 1600 miles) and that the car would need a few new semiconductor chips and a software update. So I called the nearest dealer, who said that the soonest they could get me in was in four weeks.

On a lark, I checked the car a few minutes ago (after it was sitting at home for over an hour) and the screens all booted up fine. Curious as to whether this will happen again.
Old 06-10-2023, 06:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,512 Likes on 2,136 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by nola504
My 580 had an issue today in the office garage. Hyperscreen wouldn't turn on (and neither would the passenger screen); pretty much anything with a sensor didn't work--lane assist, traffic sign assist, heads up display, braking assist, etc. I turned the car off and on and had the same issue. Called MB on the way home and was told that it was a known problem with the 22's when cars reach around 30k miles (mine has 1600 miles) and that the car would need a few new semiconductor chips and a software update. So I called the nearest dealer, who said that the soonest they could get me in was in four weeks.

On a lark, I checked the car a few minutes ago (after it was sitting at home for over an hour) and the screens all booted up fine. Curious as to whether this will happen again.
There is a known glitch or bug or normal? behaviour when your tire pressures are too low this happens to the EQS, all those error messages. It was documented on the forums.
Old 06-10-2023, 10:27 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
EQS
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
There is a known glitch or bug or normal? behaviour when your tire pressures are too low this happens to the EQS, all those error messages. It was documented on the forums.
I'm at 39 in 3 tires and 37 in the fourth one.
Old 06-10-2023, 11:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

Found the thread I was trying to find: https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...ml#post8710149
Old 06-11-2023, 02:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 302 Likes on 209 Posts
2022 EQS580
Increase all of them to 41 as recommended when the tires cold.
Old 06-23-2023, 06:11 AM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
EQS 580
I thought I would update the resolution of my problem with my EQS. It was software related. They could not reset the light with an OBD2 command even though all the physical components passed an operational check. My dealership loaded a new version of the steering management software and that cleared the problem. So far, they have updated my car over six visits with 2 versions of MBUX, 2 versions of adaptive cruise control software, 1 version of communication systems software, and 1 version of ESP software. Give that the car has visited them 6 times in 9 months, due to mostly software instability (see my original post for the last episode), I hope the car is more stable now. It is a real pleasure to drive when it is not misbehaving.

On a separate note, the service department is excellent; this time they gave me another EQS to drive for the 2 days mine was in the shop. They have never given me a hard time about updating to a new version of software.
Old 06-23-2023, 06:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

I thought I would update the resolution of my problem with my EQS. It was software related. They could not reset the light with an OBD2 command even though all the physical components passed an operational check. My dealership loaded a new version of the steering management software and that cleared the problem. So far, they have updated my car over six visits with 2 versions of MBUX, 2 versions of adaptive cruise control software, 1 version of communication systems software, and 1 version of ESP software. Give that the car has visited them 6 times in 9 months, due to mostly software instability (see my original post for the last episode), I hope the car is more stable now. It is a real pleasure to drive when it is not misbehaving.

On a separate note, the service department is excellent; this time they gave me another EQS to drive for the 2 days mine was in the shop. They have never given me a hard time about updating to a new version of software.
Thanks for the update, glad to hear they solved it : )
The following users liked this post:
jlt1112 (06-24-2023)