S-Class (W223) 2021 to Present

All screens shut down! Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2023, 02:11 PM

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts
‘22 S500
All screens shut down! Help!

Tons of warnings….but very drivable: “Active Blind Spot Assist Inoperative;” “Active Lane Keeping Assist Inopperative;” PARKTRONIC Inopperative See Operator’s Manual;” “Traffic Sign Assist Inoperative”

All screens dead….no audio, no temp control. No apparent driving issues. Tried to reboot.

Any ideas on this? 2022 S500
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-26-2023, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,058 Likes on 668 Posts
23 S580 Executive
You tried locking it and getting the keys out of range for long enough to get a full shutdown?
The following users liked this post:
martinlarose (01-27-2023)
Old 01-26-2023, 04:36 PM

‘22 S500
Crabman….you always were the best, the smartest….and now you hammered in that message: I must’ve locked it, opened it 5 separate times…but never with the key far enough away. After an arduous morning at Palm Springs Mercedes (useless…they refused to look at it until Monday…and zero availability of loaners), I locked the car at home and kept the key away at distance. Voila!! You, Crabman fixed it. Thanks so much. Do you think this will be a theme? Or a one shot glitch??
Old 01-26-2023, 04:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,447 Likes on 2,084 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by Peter
Crabman….you always were the best, the smartest….and now you hammered in that message: I must’ve locked it, opened it 5 separate times…but never with the key far enough away. After an arduous morning at Palm Springs Mercedes (useless…they refused to look at it until Monday…and zero availability of loaners), I locked the car at home and kept the key away at distance. Voila!! You, Crabman fixed it. Thanks so much. Do you think this will be a theme? Or a one shot glitch??
Glitch, probably solved with an OTA update or something.
Old 01-26-2023, 08:07 PM

‘22 S500
The service manager at Walter’s just called and stated that the issue is tied into too low a tire pressure. Huh? My tires are a bit low lately, actually. 2 lbs below the recommended on the filler flap. Cannot imagine what that has to do with it.
Old 01-26-2023, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
I was going to say:If your tire pressure are low it will lock you out of the goods you described. Airing them up fixed it for me and I've had no issues since then.
Old 01-26-2023, 09:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

The service manager at Walter’s just called and stated that the issue is tied into too low a tire pressure. Huh? My tires are a bit low lately, actually. 2 lbs below the recommended on the filler flap. Cannot imagine what that has to do with it.
Originally Posted by crabman
I was going to say:If your tire pressure are low it will lock you out of the goods you described. Airing them up fixed it for me and I've had no issues since then.
First time hearing this being the cause ever but I am glad it is all figured out now.

Trending Topics

Old 01-26-2023, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
There is a thread somewhere, let your pressure get too low and you get those errors. Drive it that way and you'll eventually get the black screen thing. It's not proven yet but I think you might be able to avoid the black screen at startup by not turning on the cruise control if you need a few days before you can get air. It seems to happen when there are too many errors at shut down and the low pressure will give you some all the time but also some specifically when you turn on the cruise. It's when you get the full boat the black screen is a possibility.

For me it was all instantly fixed when I aired up to the cap minimum again; I'm running it there and it had gone below as it cooled off.
Old 01-26-2023, 11:17 PM

Received 320 Likes on 175 Posts
2022 S580, Range Rover full sized, retired (Ferraris, lamborghini, Bentley, RR, Porsche etc, etc...)
It’s happened to me when my tire pressures were too low. As soon as they were filled up everything returned to normal.
Old 01-27-2023, 01:01 AM

Received 396 Likes on 265 Posts
2021 S450 4Matic
This is surely a software bug. Coincidentally, I had a similar experience just a few days ago.
In fact, my MY2021 car is 1.5 years old and had two such incidents.

1st was around June 2022. ''Rectify Tyre Pressure'' and ''Blind Spot Assist Inoperative'' warnings came up out of the blue simultaneously.
(More details here, post #9 :-https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w223/842365-driver-display-no-power-ispeed-severely-restrictedn.html)

Lesson:- tyre pressure can be correct but warning(s) can still come up, perhaps due to sensor error(?). If so, try to accept the current pressure as default. This might clear the warnings.

2nd was just a few days ago.
5 warnings appeared with no obvious reason. This can be intimidating. But the larger number of warnings can be a hint that this is a false alarm!
One thing I learned is that when some errors and/or warnings show up and when there is no obvious connection among them (eg how on earth the rear seat airbags have to do with Traffic Sign Assist or Active Blind Spot Assist?), this is likely to be a software glitch. And with prior experience and from reading posts in this forum, first thing is to turn off the car and leave it alone a few hours or overnight (with the key away from the car). The car can run self diagnostic during this period and will clear these unwarranted warnings.
For my case, only warnings came up but everything, including Temperature Control and Audio, still function as normal.

Old 01-27-2023, 01:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
As everyone says, this is a SW bug. Low tyre pressure may be one thing that triggers fault messages and the bug then makes screens go black.

Now that you have access to the menus, can you check your MBUX SW release please. You may not have the latest SW.
Old 01-27-2023, 02:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
Yeah, the software is supposed to disable the things he had disabled when it detects low tire pressure, or at least most of them. Can't remember the full list off the top of my head but it puts the car outside it's happy window for active assists so the software pops an error and dislikes those functions. These will be fixed when tire pressure is back in the range.

The black screen problem comes in when the pressure is low and the car doesn't fully shut down and is then restarted. This is when you get the black screen in some cases. In my testing the screen will boot as long as you don't have all the errors. I drove mine for close to two weeks with it because I was busy. It wasn't that I didn't try; I must have stopped at close to ten service stations before I found one with working air.

At any rate mine didn't black screen if I didn't get all the errors up. That can be accomplished if you don't turn on cruise and only have the more limited set of errors. This needs verification but it was what I saw.

No matter how you slice it the fix right now for those of us in the trenches with that set of errors is to get the tires in the range. Fixed.
Old 01-27-2023, 07:18 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by bishop64
This is surely a software bug. Coincidentally, I had a similar experience just a few days ago.
In fact, my MY2021 car is 1.5 years old and had two such incidents.

1st was around June 2022. ''Rectify Tyre Pressure'' and ''Blind Spot Assist Inoperative'' warnings came up out of the blue simultaneously.
(More details here, post #9 :-https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w223/842365-driver-display-no-power-ispeed-severely-restrictedn.html)

Lesson:- tyre pressure can be correct but warning(s) can still come up, perhaps due to sensor error(?). If so, try to accept the current pressure as default. This might clear the warnings.

2nd was just a few days ago.
5 warnings appeared with no obvious reason. This can be intimidating. But the larger number of warnings can be a hint that this is a false alarm!
One thing I learned is that when some errors and/or warnings show up and when there is no obvious connection among them (eg how on earth the rear seat airbags have to do with Traffic Sign Assist or Active Blind Spot Assist?), this is likely to be a software glitch. And with prior experience and from reading posts in this forum, first thing is to turn off the car and leave it alone a few hours or overnight (with the key away from the car). The car can run self diagnostic during this period and will clear these unwarranted warnings.
For my case, only warnings came up but everything, including Temperature Control and Audio, still function as normal.

Sorry to hear about that ya hope the bug gets fixed.
Originally Posted by crabman
Yeah, the software is supposed to disable the things he had disabled when it detects low tire pressure, or at least most of them. Can't remember the full list off the top of my head but it puts the car outside it's happy window for active assists so the software pops an error and dislikes those functions. These will be fixed when tire pressure is back in the range.

The black screen problem comes in when the pressure is low and the car doesn't fully shut down and is then restarted. This is when you get the black screen in some cases. In my testing the screen will boot as long as you don't have all the errors. I drove mine for close to two weeks with it because I was busy. It wasn't that I didn't try; I must have stopped at close to ten service stations before I found one with working air.

At any rate mine didn't black screen if I didn't get all the errors up. That can be accomplished if you don't turn on cruise and only have the more limited set of errors. This needs verification but it was what I saw.

No matter how you slice it the fix right now for those of us in the trenches with that set of errors is to get the tires in the range. Fixed.
Thanks for your explanation.
Old 01-27-2023, 12:21 PM

‘22 S500
Hi Crabman….my “black screen,” along with the 5 or 6 error messages was NOT tied into usage of the cruise. My last use of cruise was more than 2 weeks ago. I can verify that my instrument cluster tire pressure read out is 31 (rear), 33 (front). That must be the culprit. When I return from “sloth mode,” I’ll make the correction! Today’s report is a good one: back to normal and holding (thus far). Thanks!
Old 01-27-2023, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
I said it MAY prevent the black screen if you don't get the full boat but it needed verification; it had worked for a couple of us but it would seem that's not the case as you've shown. All the possible errors you can get can only be had if you use cruise as it has its own errors that will light up when you turn it on if you have low tire pressure. You wouldn't have actually been able to use it because it would have been disabled with the rest of it. It's the turning on that gets you the complete list.

There are two different things going on here: Low tire pressure causes the functions to be disabled, that's intended. The black screen is a boot failure that can occur when the car is turned off in one or more subsets of those errors ; it's a bug they need to fix.

A complete shutdown resets some of the errors and you get your screens back but didn't fix anything. I black screened twice while playing with mine. Airing up on the other hand does fix the functions that were disabled due to low tire pressure and those errors go away. The bug causing the black screens at startup when errors are present is still there but can be said to be fixed because you've taken the car out of the condition where the bug occurs. It's still there, you just don't encounter it.

Enough people have had this now that I think you can rest easy; you're probably good to go. Should it come up as bishop64 pointed out random glitches can be "fixed" the same way; a complete shutdown clears them.
Old 01-28-2023, 07:53 AM

Received 173 Likes on 114 Posts
2021 S500 (Mojave Silver), MB S400 (wife), BMW 750Li (passed on to kids)
I had a slow leak in one of the tires and got the error messages. I’d top up the air (was to lazy to fix the leak) and faults disappeared by themselves. Few day later when air was low again, faults returned. Happened a few times until I repaired tire.
martinlarose (01-28-2023)
Old 01-28-2023, 08:28 AM

Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts
2022 - S580 and 2019 Porsche Carrera S Cabriolet
Ever since I had a tire pressure problem with my last car, I started carrying a small, but powerful, tire inflator. Cost was about 80 USD. Works great when you live in a climate where the seasonal weather changes from hot to cold and vice versa. Purchase on Amazon
Old 01-28-2023, 11:15 AM

‘22 S500
Hi y’all! I started this here thread! I been thinkin’….maybe some of the issues with my OLED LG is rooted in my tire pressures bein’ under inflated? 😵‍💫🤪 A logical progression/extrapolation of ideas? Thoughts on this?

Last edited by Peter; 01-28-2023 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-28-2023, 11:35 AM

Received 173 Likes on 114 Posts
2021 S500 (Mojave Silver), MB S400 (wife), BMW 750Li (passed on to kids)
Hi y’all! I started this here thread! I been thinkin’….maybe some of the issues with my OLED LG is rooted in my tire pressures bein’ under inflated? 😵‍💫🤪 A logical progression/extrapolation of ideas? Thoughts on this?
I think it was previously mentioned that it’s highly likely a software glitch with the car’s system that’s causing the low tire pressure to flag faults.
Having said that, it does make a bit of sense that if tire pressure is low, it would deactivate some (steering?) features.
Old 01-28-2023, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

23 S580 Executive
I talked to a rep about it: The software is dependent upon the car being in a specific configuration which includes the tires in an allowed inflation window. If the car is out of that window the software disables affected features which I understood to be primarily active features. So good so far; a safety feature.

I only had about 5 minutes to talk with him and the actual topic was my headlights. What I left the conversation unclear about was whether the way it goes down is intentional. Seems like the faults, errors, whatever the software types would call them are hinky as they occur in the car: Why not a toast saying the features have been deactivated until the tire pressure is returned to it's operating range?

One takeaway is that they know about the air pressure situation at the dealership level. Also at some higher level; the gentlemen I mentioned was clearly a technical type: A lot of lingo and he wasn't just trotting it out, you could tell it was the language he works in. I would have loved more time to grill him...
Old 01-29-2023, 03:49 AM
TSA

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
S580 MAYBACH Z223
dont get scared i had the same issue on my 2022 s580 maybach all the screens went down only my dash and rear middle tablet was working. i just locked the doors waited for 15 mins and it just resolved the issue itself.